This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Delorme PN-40?

JJaws09 0 Points
Just wandering if the PN-40s are out for sale anywhere yet and if so where and the price? I like this unit a lot based on the use and familiarity with the PN-20 and would like to purchase one if the right price presents itself.

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    I don't think they release until around the 24th of this month
  • ok thank you. Are you familar with the PN series unit at all? Just curious. If so do u like it?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I'm not, but Tim (the Admin) is and seems pretty impressed by it.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I reviewed the DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 you can read. As to the 40, I've talked about it over here (DeLorme PN-40). It is scheduled to start shipping later this month.
  • yea i read that prior to posting. i like the 20 a lot. i find it very simple to use from the unit itself to the Topo USA; even with loading maps. Question I do have tho is how is its capability of satellite fix in dense cover such as heavily forested areas and or indoors?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'm confused by your question. You say you like the unit and the software, but are asking about the reception. Do you have the PN-20?

The reception of the PN-20 is pretty good. The PN-40 reception is fantastic.
  • No I don't own one personally, but I'm taking a GPS course in college and the University just purchased the 20's in May and the class has been using them for the last few weeks and myself personally have taken the unit out and tried exploring some of the functions. I just haven't gotten the chance to really test it in such locations as in doors a lot. One or two places only and those places in fact I had no sat. fix. Thats why i was asking about the fix on the 40.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    The 40 uses a 32 channel receiver versus the 16 channel receiver (IIRC) on the 20. There is a pretty big difference in reception.

In my testing, once the 20 gets a lock, it does a really good job of keeping that lock, even in tough conditions. But if you try to get an initial lock in tough conditions, it takes longer. Now that is true of any GPS, but I found the 20 to be more exaggerated in that regard. The 40 has had nothing but fantastic reception since I've been testing it.
  • Hi, i've never used a GPS before, but would like to get one to log my ATV path during rides. I looked at a PN 20 bundle that looks pretty apealing. I liked the fact that the maps program came with it all for less than $200.

Is this a good unit for what I'm hoping to do. Can this unit also be used for finding street directions in cars?

I mostly need it for mapping uncharted ATV trails. Is there a better unit out there for this in the $200 range including maps and wires and... and ... and???
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If you want to build your own maps, it is hard to beat the PN-20 and PN-40. While most any handheld can record tracklogs, and import those tracks into various mapping programs (including Google Earth for free) the Topo USA software with the DeLorme models just blows everything else away when it comes to tracklogs, creating trails, creating maps, etc. The Topo USA software isn't the easiest to use-- power comes at that price.

It will do street routing as well, but the small screen, no voice prompts, and no touch screen for address entry make it more of a novelty than a very practical street navigation system.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    DeLorme is now saying they will ship "mid-November".
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I now have a production, version 1.0 version of the PN-40... so fire away with any specific questions you might have that I might not address in a typical review, which will come out in a couple of days.
  • I've been a steadfast Garmin follower for years, owned probably 14 units past and present. Garmin seems to have drifted away from some common sense functions on their units and so I'm now looking to break brand for the first time ever.

The NP-40 looks very interesting. Do the topo maps have a shading function to help with a "3D" effect? I know how to read topos and all, but the shading makes a quick glance nice and EZ.

Also, is the screen view rotatable... horizontal or vertical? One of my pet peeves on my Rino 530 is using it for street nav and I cannot rotate the screen to "landscape/horitontal"... one does not neccesarily hold a hand held in your hand pointing straight ahead, it sometime (most of the time with me) sits sideways on the dash or on my dash cubby.

Thanks in advance!

CJS
  • Tim 1481 Points
    You get topo shading (and a 3D view like Google Earth) from within the Topo USA software, but not on the device.

The map on the device can rotate to course up, heading up, or North up, but the rest of the interface will not rotate.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've just posted my Review for the DeLorme PN-40.
  • I've just posted my Review for the DeLorme PN-40.
    Thanks, Tim! I ordered my PN-40 today for $200 and can't wait to try the TopoUSA mapping features and (after reading your article "Why Aerial Images Are Important") I can't wait to take advantage of the PN-40's ability to utilize satellite photos! :D

Eric P.
    Sunnyvale, CA