Not recognized
  • Hi all. I have a Tom Tom One, maybe called a Classic. No other numbers or names after it. I am trying to get updates. I did it before and it worked fine. Updates my Third Edition one fine. It will say, Connect to Computer I tap yes it shows it connecting then nothing. Just show the picture of the Tom Tom connected. I am no computer wizard so if you can tell me how to fix this, pretend you are telling a first grader. :lol: thanks for the help
  • dhn
    Try this link:
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=connect+to+computer&FID=7375

If that doesn't work, just using: www.tomtom.com/7375 may do it.
  • Make sure you have internet access on your computer.
    - Connect your device to your computer.
    - Turn on your TomTom device. Your TomTom device asks if you want to connect to the computer.
    - Tap YES.
    - Start TomTom HOME if it does not start automatically.
    - Click on Help > Check for TomTom HOME Update.

Once the Home program is updated we will need to manually place an application on the device. Please perform the following steps to do so:

- Save and download the application file from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.162.8492.onev5.cab
    - Once the file has downloaded, open it, there should be 5-12 files listed
    - Open the TomTom Drive
    - These 5-12 files need to be individually dragged and dropped over the TomTom drive
    - Once this is complete disconnect the unit from the computer safely, allow it to load and then reconnect it to the computer

This is what they sent me..I don't know what the TomTom drive is though.
  • dhn
    When you connect the unit to the computer, Windows Explorer will see the unit as another drive, perhaps with the TomTom logo preceding it. For example, your local hard drive is usually c:\. If you have an optical or cd drive in your computer, it may be designated as d:\. Look for the TomTom drive to be perhaps e:\ or higher.

Clicking on the drive with Explorer will reveal a multitude of folders with names like 'art', 'asr', 'audiobooks', etc. Anyway, that's your TomTom drive.
  • Oh ok, got it. Many thanks
  • Ok I found the drive, it's J if that makes any difference. Found all the folders and boy is there a lot. Now it says to drag them and drop them over the drive. I don't understand what that means. Do I just drag and drop over the J drive? I want to thank all for your patience with me on this. Whoever said you got smarter when you got older, never thought about the Computer world.
  • dhn
    Yes, the 5 or so files it says should be dragged and dropped go into the ROOT of the TT Unit on drive J in your case. In other words, do NOT copy them to a FOLDER on your unit. If you happen to see the message asking if you want to overwrite an existing file with the one you want to copy there, say 'yes'. After all, that is the point of this exercise ....

Also, my preference would be to highlight the files in the cab file and right click and 'copy' them [to the unit] rather than MOVING them to the unit.

That way, if you ever have to do this again, you still have the files in the cab file to work with. If you move them to the unit, then lose (somehow) the files on the unit again, you won't have them in the cab file to select from.

Finally........after you finish the procedure of copying the files, see that everything works ok. If it does, make a complete backup of your unit's contents using Explorer, NOT Home. Make sure hidden folders/files are showing as are extensions for known file types.
  • I feel so stupid. So when I open the J drive all the files they want me to use are already on it. I don't understand the Root of the TT. I hit Start, my computer and see the TT drive. Do I drag them to that? Might be easier to just buy a new TT. Why don't I understand this simple direction??
  • dhn
    pdpo222 said:

I feel so stupid. So when I open the J drive all the files they want me to use are already on it. I don't understand the Root of the TT. I hit Start, my computer and see the TT drive. Do I drag them to that? Might be easier to just buy a new TT. Why don't I understand this simple direction??

When you go to J on your computer, you are seeing the contents of your unit. You are looking at the ROOT of the unit. You are seeing a bunch of folders and a bunch of loose files NOT in folders. You want to OVERWRITE these loose files with those from the cab file.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!