This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Good GPS Deals Black Friday GPS Deals

Comments

• REI's winter sale is now in effect (thru Nov 30) and there are several other items which may be of interest, like a Nuvi 255w for $130. Also a Dakota 10 package with City Navigator on DVD and a bike mount for $250.

No coupons needed, see this link:

http://www.rei.com/category/1/q/GPS+Sale+and+Clearance
    Howdy, very very new to the site. I had a question Boyd, you seem very knowledgeable from reading all your posts which I find very interesting. I wasn't sure where to post this but will try here. I posted a question about gps's anyways to make a long story short. Wife and i travel the back woods with friends and I have had the first etrex legend garmin produced, I had it only for geocaching. By reading the many posts I would like to up grade. Montana way out of my bugdet, was thinking oregon, would you suggest this over the dakota. I would like it wifi and to able to attach a sd card, wifey say no more that $250-300. I wasn't sure how to PM you, and I hope you are ok with the question on this matter. We travel the Maritime Provinces, Eastern Canada.

Thanks,
    Bryan.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Hi Bryan. Yes, I think the Oregon would be a very good choice, and in your price range if you can find it on sale. It does not have wifi though, and offhand I can't think of any handheld type unit that does. You would use a USB cable to transfer maps and data.

The Dakota is also nice, a small version of the Oregon. The screen is smaller and lower resolution however, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be discounted as much.

Have a happy New Year!
  • Hi Bryan. Yes, I think the Oregon would be a very good choice, and in your price range if you can find it on sale. It does not have wifi though, and offhand I can't think of any handheld type unit that does. You would use a USB cable to transfer maps and data.

The Dakota is also nice, a small version of the Oregon. The screen is smaller and lower resolution however, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be discounted as much.

Have a happy New Year!
    Thanks Boyd, I guess I meant transfering data from one unit to another. And if you don't mind, I may stay in touch to ask a few more questions re:gps,s. Also its a very good site, and I hope you and yours have a very Happy New Year. We are headed out tonight on the trails for a New Years event...I may need a gps to get back...lol.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Over at GPSTrackLog, Rich has just posted a link to a big sale on Garmin handhelds at Eastern Mountain Sports. These are the best prices we've seen on these models for awhile (and I think the lowest price ever on the Montana)

$152 - eTrex 20
    $231 - eTrex 30
    $240 - Oregon 450
    $320 - GPSMap 62s
    $400 - Montana 600

You will find them in the GPS category on the EMS site, or use the link in Rich's article if you would like to help support his site. Sale ends Sunday May 13.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Refurb 3790LMT on sale at NewEgg today for $169.99.
  • babj615 41 Points
    Refurb 3790LMT on sale at NewEgg today for $169.99.
    Thank You!

Couldn't resist....

:-)
  • alanb 375 Points
    Garmin Oregon 550 $299.99 at Amazon (9/21/12).
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    20% off a single item at EMS this weekend only - looks like a pretty good deal. For example, with the discount, you can get an etrex 20 for $152, eTrex 30 for $232 a GPSMap 62s for $320 or a Montana 600 for $400.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    REI, Cabella's and Dick's also have the Oregon 450 for $200 for Black Friday. This is a very nice price, I don't think we've ever seen the 450 sell for under $200. In the past $230 or $250 was considered a good deal.

I wonder if this signals that the x50 line is nearing its end?
  • REI, Cabella's and Dick's also have the Oregon 450 for $200 for Black Friday. This is a very nice price, I don't think we've ever seen the 450 sell for under $200. In the past $230 or $250 was considered a good deal.

I wonder if this signals that the x50 line is nearing its end?
    I know all good things must...... But the Garmin Oregon x50 has only just recently fully matured into a very functional, stable and reliable GPSr. At the $200 price point, it is a no brainer.

I do hope they will continue to produce them for awhile longer.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Oregon 550, $249, 17th Street Photo (online store and eBay store)

Also, Amazon has dropped the price of the Oregon 550 to $267.94.
  • Oregon 550 from GPSCity.com for only $249USD:

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-550-with-camera.html
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Here are some Black Friday navigation deals available for iOS at the app store:

Navigon USA $25
    Navigon North America $30
    Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA $25
    Garmin StreetPilot Onboard North America $30
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    EMS is having a sale with 20% off one item through 6:00AM on Dec 18. So you can get an eTrex 10 for $88, an eTrex 20 for $152, a Montana 600 for $400, etc.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    GPSCity has the Oregon 450 for $200, not sure how long they will last but the site currently lists them in stock.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    We have a new partner site that might be of interest to people here looking for GPS Deals. The new site is a coupon site called Robot Oatmeal. A few of the bigger GPS retailers are on there from places many of us get our GPS devices from. For example there are some good Tiger Direct coupons and quite a few BuyDig coupons.

Bookmark 'em and have a quick look for coupons for your next GPS.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    REI has the Oregon 450t for $200 as part of their Anniversary Sale, May 17-27. That might be the best price yet for the 450t (which includes the 100k US topo and more memory than the regular 450).
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Best Buy has a refurb Nuvi 1370T available online only for $90. Seems like a pretty good price for anyone who needs a basic 4.3" model that includes BOTH North America and Europe. I mean... it costs $100 just to buy the City Navigator Europe MAP alone. :)
  • Hello Boyd I am going to Germany & Czech next year $90 cant be beat unless you have other options thats worth more money Thanks
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Cool 8) We frequently get questions about using a US nuvi in the EU, so that model stood out when I was quickly browsing the Best Buy site for something else.
  • Draco_M 31 Points
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a GPS enabled watch. Please post a deal if you see an amazing price this season. Thanks!
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    REI has the GPSMap 62s on sale for $200 through November 24. I think that's about the lowest price I've seen on this model. :)
  • REI has the GPSMap 62s on sale for $200 through November 24. I think that's about the lowest price I've seen on this model. :)
    Great price! Makes me wonder how big the retailer profit margin is for these devices...
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Typical markup is about 65%. So a device $99 retail is about $60 wholesale. Of course that doesn't mean profit is about $40, as you take shipping and all other overhead out of that $40.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Amazon lists the 62s at $285, so using your formula that would put the wholesale price at $171. But I saw REI charging $350 for the 62s before the sale and that would work out to $210. So maybe they offset the low sale price by charging more than other vendors during most of the year?
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Amazon is a different story altogether. I can't find it now... but I read an article a couple of years ago how Amazon was able to sell products for less than what they paid for them and still make money. Basically they have such good buying power and keep such tight inventory controls that they make up the difference in bank interest.

So they purchase an item for $50, but they don't have to pay for it for say 90 days. They sell it for $48 the week they receive it. So they've got $48 in the bank that they don't owe the $50for another 83 days. During those 83 days they accrue interest, and maybe end up with $52 by the time they have to pay $50 to the wholesaler. So they sold the product to the consumer for less than what they paid for it but they more than make up for it on interest.

I wish I could find the article as I think they might have been talking about Apple products in particular, or perhaps electronics. There is obviously more to the story... like shipping and overhead, but I believe that was accounted for in the article too. Again, don't quote me as I'm just going from memory and I can't find the article right now.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Wow.. it sure is a crazy world today. :)
  • Adobe 0 Points
    I got the Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT 5" Portable GPS from Wallmart.com for $185.00. Free shipping. I think it was a fairly good deal and it got to my house SUPER fast. So far I love this GPS.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Amazon is a different story altogether. I can't find it now... but I read an article a couple of years ago how Amazon was able to sell products for less than what they paid for them and still make money. Basically they have such good buying power and keep such tight inventory controls that they make up the difference in bank interest.
    This link sounds like a similar story, but much more recent
    http://www.mondaynote.com/2013/11/18/amazon-and-apple-business-models/
  • Amazon is a different story altogether. I can't find it now... but I read an article a couple of years ago how Amazon was able to sell products for less than what they paid for them and still make money.

So they purchase an item for $50, but they don't have to pay for it for say 90 days. They sell it for $48 the week they receive it. So they've got $48 in the bank that they don't owe the $50for another 83 days. During those 83 days they accrue interest, and maybe end up with $52 by the time they have to pay $50 to the wholesaler.
    I want to bank where Amazon banks. I have an account that usually has a balance of about $8,000 and every month I get a statement that I earned 10 cents interest. Back 30 years ago, my bank was paying about 9% interest/year but even at that rate, the interest on Amazon's $48 would be less than a buck and a half.

I think that story is just a story.
  • privet01 145 Points
    might be just a story, but I'm sure Amazon's float has quite a few more digits to the left of the decimal. So it's not a number to scoff at.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    I think that story is just a story.
    Like I said... don't quote me on the figures, but I know the basis is correct-- they were able to sell certain products for less than what they paid and more than make up on interest/investments due to the lengthy terms they were getting from manufacturers.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT is on sale at Garmin.com today for $170 for Cyber Monday. Sale ends at 11:55 PM CST tonight.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Amazon has the Nuvi 2595LMT today only (Bonus Deal of the Day) for $114.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

(Note: You will need to copy and paste the URL, or just go to Amazon and click on Today's Deals)
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Just noticed that GPSCity has factory refurbished Nuvi 3590LMT's with full warranty for $150. This strikes me as a nice deal - they sell the new 3597LMT for $330. The older 3590 doesn't have "real directions" or active lane guidance and the user interface is a bit different. But it has user-created dashboards and pedestrian mode, both of which were dropped from the newer models.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Garmin Montana 600 is currently on sale at GPSCity for $350. We don't see these on sale too often these days (Amazon price is $450 for example).
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    edited November 2014
    Costco Sale: 11/3/14.
    This is from the November 2014 Costco Coupon Book.
    Costco has the Garmin Nuvi 2699 LMT-HD 6″ Portable Auto GPS with HD Traffic Receiver on sale for $219.99 (after manufacturer’s instant rebate), now through November 23, 2014. That is $30 off Costco’s regular price of $249.99. While supplies last. Retail is $299.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    GPSCity has the Montana 650 for $350. This looks like a very good price to me… their current price on the Montana 600 is $400 and the 650 includes a camera.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    edited April 2015
    Just seen this at GPS Tracklog, apparently some deals at Cabelas at the mo

gpstracklog.com/2015/04/gps-deals-at-cabelas.html#more-23457

What interested me being in the UK is that there used to be quite a difference between UK and US prices, with US prices much cheaper. Now when I compare deals here with these ones at Cabelas UK prices appear lower than US ones.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited April 2015
    I saw that too, and those prices are ridiculous. Amazon, GPSCity and others have much better prices without a "sale". Just a quick look shows the Montana 600 at $400 ($470 "on sale" at Cabela's), eTrex 10 is $75 ("sale" price is $110 at Cabela's)…. didn't bother to check any others.

Either GPSTracklog has an advertising deal with Cabela's or they are just not aware of what these devices usually sell for. Sorry…. prices really are much cheaper here in the US. >:)

Boy, I still miss Rich. :(
  • sussamb 671 Points
    Think we all miss Rich!
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Yup-- I miss Rich too.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    edited April 2015
    www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-650.html
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Just got the anniversary sale catalog from REI. They are offering the Garmin Oregon 600 for $220, available from May 15 through May 25 only. That seems like a really good price, not sure if I've seen it for less.
  • mikeinbrazil 6 Points
    edited May 2015
    Boyd said:

Just got the anniversary sale catalog from REI. They are offering the Garmin Oregon 600 for $220, available from May 15 through May 25 only. That seems like a really good price, not sure if I've seen it for less.

I am an REI member as well. I do not see that price online, i see it listed for $400 ... is it only available for $200 via certain channels?