This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

"Car mode" vs "Motorcycle mode"

peterPL 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hi,

I will be buying my first motorcycle soon. I've had Navigon 2110max for more than 6 months, and I'm really happy with my purchase. Now, when I plan to have a motorcycle, a question has arisen :D

As you know, Navigon (probably the Rest does so) gives you an option depending on how the unit is used. There are "Car mode", "Motorcycle mode", "Pedestrian mode" etc. When I use the GPS daily in my car, should I really change the mode into "Motorcycle mode", when I use my GPS on my motorcycle?

And the other question regarding GPS on the motorcycle: is there any possibility of charging GPS on the motorcycle? I haven't seen any lighter plug on the motorcycle yet :D

Thanks in advance for your help,

Peter.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Those different modes will tell the GPS to allow or deny certain road restrictions. There are certain roads where motorcycles are prohibited for example and the GPS will try to avoid those areas if it is in motorcycle mode.
  • Thanks Tim for your prompt answer! :D

OK, but most of the roads I will use will both be "car and motorcycle allowed" (mainly UK motorways and plain roads), so I still don't know whether it comes to change the mode everytime I switch from a car to a motorcycle and another way round...
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You can switch back and forth if you would like-- but you probably won't notice much difference.
  • Ken-55 0 Points

And the other question regarding GPS on the motorcycle: is there any possibility of charging GPS on the motorcycle? I haven't seen any lighter plug on the motorcycle yet :D
    I have my 5100 wired with a Nuvi compatible direct wire kit I found on eBay. I works great!
  • I have my 5100 wired with a Nuvi compatible direct wire kit I found on eBay. I works great!
    Ken-55, can you please write some more details about the kit, how much it was and how d'you think, is it OK regarding warranty to connect the GPS "your way"... Thanks.
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    Peter,

The guy that I bought mine from is no longer selling on eBay (can't say I blame him with all the changes they're making over there lately), but there are plenty of similar wire kits out there if you google "nuvi direct wire".

Here's one I just found that looks very similar to mine:

http://www.meritline.com/gps-hardwire-cable-006.html

I've bought other electronic accessories from Meritline and been happy. Use the coupon code in the ad and save 40%. Their free standard shipping usually takes less than a week.

I really don't know if it voids the warranty, but I've been using mine daily for over 5 months. No problems!

The only thing that I would be concerned about if I was wiring this to a motorcycle would be the plug getting wet and shorting out if it was left exposed.

Good Luck!

-Ken
  • Hmm...

Looks like there is no proper kit prepared for motorcycles. What I've just thought was that I could possibly buy a normal, original Navigon car charger, remove the plastic bits and connect it directly with the +/- of the motorcycle's battery... Would that work? :D

I'm not worried about the plug getting wet... if one's wise enough to connect the cable to the battery, he must be wise enough to be positive the plug will never get wet :)

PS. In the UK it rains about 210-220 days per year...!!! :D
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I installed a marine grade 12v plug on my Honda GoldWing - but I have a bit of a dashboard to work with. Advantages are that it is waterproof and the plug portion twists and locks into the receptacle portion. This particular brand is Marinco SealLink. About $28 US, but I don't believe I paid near that price at a local store.

• I'm pretty sure I will not cope with installing this thing on the morocycle, so probably I'll need some help from the person that knows much more about it. I'll try to find the answer somewhere on the motorcycle forum. Will definitely come back here to share my knowledge :D

NEWEST UPDATE:

Silly me! :) I tried to find it everywhere, but on Polish auctions website (www.allegro.pl). There you go: http://www.allegro.pl/item471363119_nowe_gniazdo_zapalniczki_do_motocykla_12v_od_ss.html
    LIGHTER PLUG It's ready to be installed and pretty cheap, about 30$ incl.P&P. So, there ARE proper motorcycle lighter plugs ready to be installed :)