This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola TN20 - or a general recommendation...

hhcibtpaun 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
First, hello everyone.

Next, I am looking for a GPS (obviously). Now, I am a total newbie here, but I read the sticky so I will let you know what I am looking for.

1. This will be used for travel within the US 90% of the time, maybe Canada 10% of the time. I am not sure if they work globally, if so, maybe 5% globally (my wife does alot of international travel).

2. 90% of the time it will be in the car (and not used daily)...more like bi-weekly or monthly.

3. I am tech savvy and have seen that some have the ability to be hacked. I am not sure what can be hacked, but I like the fact that some can be.

4. After poking around the site, I have seen that some people use them for the car, and also for hiking. I could see me using it for hiking a small percentage of the time. From what I could gather, Garmin in general is the recommendation for the hiking/car GPS. I think I saw mention of the Garmin 260 as a good one.

5. As far as options go, I don't need too many, simpler is better.

So, in general I am looking for a reliable, relatively basic unit that I could use in the car or for the occasional hike. My price range is probably around $150.00.

As a side note, I can get the Motorola TN20 for $129.00, and maybe even $117.00...It looks pretty nice and I was just going to outright buy it (since my needs are simple), but I have no idea if it is any good. It is too new to find reviews.

Has anyone done any type of review on the Motorola units? Are they just another model packaged in a motorola case?

I guess my question is, do I take a chance on the Motorola unit, since I can get a decent price on it, or do I go for something that has made its bones...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...Mike

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I would probably start by considering one of these four. They each have USA & Canada maps with the option of purchasing additional maps, are car devices (no hiking), and are simple to operate.
  • Thanks for the quick reply, I will check them out.

Thanks...Mike
  • So I assume no one has any experience with the Motorola unit? I thought it may have been a knock off of something. I can get that for $112.00...thoughts?

Thanks...mike