RoadMate 1212 latest firmware and maps?

yahooman 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I just picked up a 1212. How can I tell if the firmware and maps on my unit are the latest because the support website just says "no update". These are currently on my unit:

Firmware: 3.10
NavStreets: 33

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim 1297 Points
    The way I read the Magellan website is that no updates (map nor application) have been made available for the 1212 at this time.
  • I just picked up a 1212 on 07 March 2009 -- I have the same version (Firmware v3.10, Map v33, Hardware v2, Product ID 765)
  • So, if/when a map update does get released, should the 1212 (in theory) be able to update the new map data onto flash memory via the SD Card slot? Or do I own what can only be described as a non-upgradeable GPS?

Unrelated question: anyone ever tried to replace the LiOn battery? Or do I own what can only be described as a disposable GPS?
  • Tim 1297 Points
    So, if/when a map update does get released, should the 1212 (in theory) be able to update the new map data onto flash memory via the SD Card slot?
    Yes.
  • I've had a pretty good experience with Magellan so far, but it seems like they are starting to slip.

I got a RoadMate 1212 sent to me as a replacement form a messed up Maestro 3200. They didn't have anymore 3200 so it worked out to my advantage since this model has Text to Speech. I asked the rep if he will be sending me the updates, he assured me that it comes loaded with the latest versions. There's a problem though, the firmware on the RM 1212 I got is version 1.24 and the MAP version is 31.

I called them today and asked how I can get the latest versions of software. At first they guy told me that what I had was the latest version, I let him know that I've seen users on the web reporting a different version so he put me on hold to double check. He offered to replace the RoadMate 1212 I have with the same model, after he checked with his supervisor he said even if I get a replacement there's no way to know if I will be getting one of the older 1212 with old software or a newer one.

I am not happy about this, I asked the rep to investigate further and let me know by email. I have a feeling nothing is gonna come out of that.

What do you guys think I should do?
  • "...if I get a replacement there's no way to know if I will be getting one of the older 1212 with old software or a newer one."

You mean, they can't turn the unit on and check for you? Is Customer Service a lost art?
  • "You mean, they can't turn the unit on and check for you? Is Customer Service a lost art?"

The replacements they send out probably ship from a different location. I might ask them to have the replacement shipped to them so they can verify the software version then send it to me.

Anyone of you GPS gurus can provide details of what the newer software offers? I'd really appreciate it.
  • DavyG 0 Points
    ""...if I get a replacement there's no way to know if I will be getting one of the older 1212 with old software or a newer one."

"You mean, they can't turn the unit on and check for you? Is Customer Service a lost art?"

Apparently so. Just got back from a big box store where the clerk assured me that the units (sealed in clamshell packages) contained the latest map and firmware. He could not, however, open one up to check, and there was no demo unit out. I told him I'd bring it right back if they weren't the latest. Got it home and found FW v1.24 and map v31. Appears from Magellan's website that newer FW can be downloaded, but it says there is not an update for the map. (Other threads have commented on the same apparent discrepancy, which might only be apparent.)

I have sent a message to Magellan's customer support, but it's only been 20 minutes so I can't expect a reply just yet. I'll decide what to do when I hear from Magellan.
  • DavyG 0 Points
    A little research:

Version 31 is from 2007. Version 33 is from 2008. A newer version is coming in the 3rd quarter of 2009.

Magellan claims that 31 is nearly the same as 33, except that 31 is for older units that use SD cards, and 33 is for newer ones with the map stored in internal memory, so apparently, they are not violating their guarantee by not releasing 33 to those of us who just bought.

It required a lot of time on the phone with technical and customer support to drag this information out of them, since the people I talked to had to didn't know much about it and had to go look it up or ask someone. :roll:

The older units are what's currently being sold by Best Buy and Ultimate Electronics. Being discounters, neither of them have staff that know about these things or know how to find out. The local Staples had a very knowledgeable salesman, but he was "into" gps for his own enjoyment off the job. (They didn't sell Magellan.)
  • I have had a 1212 apart that was broken by my sister inlaw trying to put an incorect charger in .Yes you can take the battery out it is slightly glued down and pluged in get the # off of it and look for a replacement, I would not open it until it dies as there are clips that could break as you have to pry it apart after you remove the rubber plugs and screws