The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Nuvi 265WT and bluetooth problem and other issues

First of all, I want to mention the fact that this forum has been extremely helpful in buying this unit. I've used nuvi 680 in the past and had to return it due to slow speed to lock on to satellite and mappring redraw speed.

Now, for nuvi 265WT, it's agreat unit with ectremely fast lock on and mapping speed. I tried both 3D and 2D (north up) mode and noticed that 2D speed is much much faster. It's close to 5 frames per second, vs. about 2 fps in 3D. I've always preferred the 2D in with north pointing up because it seems "real" and gives me the sense of "direction" on the map.

Volume level was louder than nuvi 765T when I tried in a store side by side. I was wondering about the usefulness of the Junction and lane assist, etc. but after reading questionable comments about these features, I decided to go against it and pay a lot less for Nuvi 265WT.

Lastly, I am having a heck of a problem with bluetooth connection with my iphone. I tried multiple times pairing the units and it does pair well. The problem is that it spontaneously disconnects all the time. Completlely random... Both iPhone and Nuvi 265Wt are updated to most recent softwares. I have not read anyone posting such issues... I have not called Garmin about this problem yet.

Comments

• How recently has your GPS software been updated? Just out for 2x5 models, v 4.60 ...

Changes from version 4.40 to version 4.60:
    Improvements in Bluetooth performance on supported units.
    Improvements in GPS performance.
    Improvements to traffic support.
    Added night-mode elevation color.
  • Thanks much... It's amazing. I checked for software update just before posting the question, and 8 hours later, there is an update available thru Garmin addressing the exact issue. I updated the bluetooth software and it works flawlessly. It even loaded phone book info into GPS. Thanks again.
  • Yeah, my new 765t (that I received yesterday) has the same issue (glad to see the update on your 265 solved your problem). Out of the box, I connected the 765 to my Motorola W385 with no problem and it transfered all my contacts into a phonebook. I thought to myself, "wow, this was painless." Well...not quite. I lost connection 10 minutes later. Updated (actually, I couldn't register without first downloading the Garmin Communicator. Then I couldn't register before I update the software first. Huh? What's up with that?). After updating (which I didn't want to do just yet), I had a terrible time getting my phone to pair. It finally paired, but without my contacts, so there is no phonebook. Of course, every time I turn the Garmin off, it continues to have a difficult time when I turn the Garmin back on. A lot of "bluetooth connection failed" and it continues to refuse to see or add my contacts.

And while I'm here complaining, might as well add that the serial number is so small on the 765 that it's almost impossible to read (with my tired eyes) without a magnifying glass (which I don't have). My 260 was extremely easy to read, but this unit's S/N is ridiculously small (sure hope the number I gave them was correct -- it took me 3 times for it to be accepted).

Might as well add one more complaint (and I haven't even hooked this up to my car yet). The poor people on the other end of the phone get to hear themselves talk (echo, feedback?). This is probably a good thing (I don't like talking on the phone in my car, and most will refuse to call me because of the terrible echo, or at least they will keep the conversation short!).
  • SergZak 217 Points
    The poor people on the other end of the phone get to hear themselves talk (echo, feedback?).
    The new dual microphone case holes on the unit (my 760 has these) were supposed to help alleviate the echo/feedback problems...guess they don't help very much.
  • According to my girlfriend, it was horrible. I then transfered to my cellphone (which she appreciated). Since your Nuvi has the same case holes, how has it worked out for you? Or are people too nice to complain to you?
  • I have made several calls thru nuvi 265wt bluetooth set. The other party thought that the sound was very good. I even had the unit mounted on the window, not in the middle of the windshiel, but to my left hand side corner. I feel it's closer and easier to reach and take a quick glance at the unit while driving.

By the way, you don't have to register and log in to Garmin web site to update the unit. You can simply download "webupdater" software and update the unit, bypassing the use of web browser all together. I think it's much simpler way to update.
  • Sounds like your 265 is performing much better than my 765 (although I'm not all that surprised). Yes, I have the webupdater (Mac version), which I "was" going to use later after I ran the Nuvi through it's paces with the original software (I wanted to know the problems first -- that way I could judge the update better). However, I thought I'd register it first (that's when I had to jump through all those hoops, including updating the software). I should have just quit the program and register later).

BTW, my girlfriend said I was coming in loud and clear. It was her voice that was echoing back that drove her nuts).
  • Yeah, my new 765t (that I received yesterday) has the same issue (glad to see the update on your 265 solved your problem). Out of the box, I connected the 765 to my Motorola W385 with no problem and it transfered all my contacts into a phonebook. I thought to myself, "wow, this was painless." Well...not quite. I lost connection 10 minutes later. Updated (actually, I couldn't register without first downloading the Garmin Communicator. Then I couldn't register before I update the software first. Huh? What's up with that?). After updating (which I didn't want to do just yet), I had a terrible time getting my phone to pair. It finally paired, but without my contacts, so there is no phonebook. Of course, every time I turn the Garmin off, it continues to have a difficult time when I turn the Garmin back on. A lot of "bluetooth connection failed" and it continues to refuse to see or add my contacts.

And while I'm here complaining, might as well add that the serial number is so small on the 765 that it's almost impossible to read (with my tired eyes) without a magnifying glass (which I don't have). My 260 was extremely easy to read, but this unit's S/N is ridiculously small (sure hope the number I gave them was correct -- it took me 3 times for it to be accepted).

Might as well add one more complaint (and I haven't even hooked this up to my car yet). The poor people on the other end of the phone get to hear themselves talk (echo, feedback?). This is probably a good thing (I don't like talking on the phone in my car, and most will refuse to call me because of the terrible echo, or at least they will keep the conversation short!).
    I got my 765T yesterday also , and while I went through the exact same registration fun with updating, I have none of the BT problems you mention . Mine pairs and work just fine. People have no echo, say I sound loud and clear. Odd I guess.

My friend has the 265T and has no BT issues either. He sounds good when he calls me also from it.. Seems hit and miss ..
  • SergZak 217 Points
    Since your Nuvi has the same case holes, how has it worked out for you?
    I only tested it once when I first got the unit and the caller stated that the conversation was indeed full of echo from my end. I don't use the phone/Bluetooth in the car at all so the info from that one test is about all I can give you.
  • From dsignori's and SergZak's responses, it seems that the actual cellphone (mine isn't "officially" supported) may be part of the problem. Oh well. Motorola has a pretty good Bluetooth unit that clips onto the visor (my son has one), perhaps I'll think about going that route.

Funny, I buy a GPS with bluetooth and FM transmitter and I may end up not using either function and go 3rd-party. Good thing I bought this during the Black Friday sale;).
  • I had a problem with my LG phone (prior to the most recent Garmin software update) and my 265WT. I contacted Garmin. This is part of their reply.

The LG VX8700 phone is not listed on our compatibility list on the
    Garmin.com website at http://www8.garmin.com/bluetooth/ But our
    Bluetooth phone compatibility list is phones we have tested and can confirm they work with our units. But this does not necessarily mean that your phone will not work, just that we have not tested it. It is best to just try and pair up with the unit to see if it works. It is best to try enabling the Bluetooth on the Nuvi but to start the pairing from the phone, it tends to work better this way.
  • While my phone works, it takes a couple of times to pair it, and my contact list has never appeared since the update. In other words, the only time I saw a phonebook with my contacts in it was before I updated (the update broke something).

I'll try my girlfriends phone later in the week to see if it's any better.
  • Whenever I paired my iphone with garmin 265wt, the garmin shut itself off after 1-2 second.

Any one of you facing the same issue? how to resolve it?

Thanks.
  • I haven't had that problem (yet). Apparently, Bluetooth works great for some and not so great for others, depending upon your cell phone. Funny, isn't Bluetooth a standard?

My girlfriend's cell (an LG) paired (not easily, it took several tries), but it did download her contact list into Garmin's phonebook. I didn't check the echo (I was more concerned that her cell phoned worked on this unit -- she's getting one this Christmas).
  • Hi,

I also have the shutdown problem when i connect my iphone (OS 2.2) to my new nuvi 265wt. I tried to pair and connect to a Nokia E90, and it was fine.

My 265wt firmware is the latest 4.60. I am not sure if this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue.

Anyone can advise?
  • I have contacted the customer service of Garmin. They are able to re-produce the shutdown issue. And they haven't get back to me regarding how to resolve it yet.

You can also contact Garmin, so they know that more customer are facing the same situation.

I read some other forums say that, worse come to worse, we can try Apple store to exchange for another iphone with 2.1 instead of 2.2 because this situation only happens in 2.2 and garmin 4.6
  • I also have the shutdown issue when pairing my first generation iPhone to my new 265WT. What I find odd is that both pairing and operation worked perfectly for about 5-days and then all of a sudden the system shuts down each time it attempts to pair... I replaced the unit with another but this 265WT shuts down as well. I have contacted Garmin about this and have been recently advised that there are no immediate plans to release a patch to resolve this problem.

Like Chunmanc advises, contact Garmin customer service to let them know more iPhone users are having this problem.
  • Right, the problem is iphone 2.2 , not garmin 4.6

If you get an iphone with 2.1 firmware on it, I bet you it will work.

But still, I am pushing both companies to fix the issue. In the mean time, I am about to try Apple store to exchange for another iphone 3G with 2.1 firmware on it.
  • I never considered the iPhone to be at fault given the Garmin unit shuts down. I will give Apple a shout as well. It would be great if both Apple and Garmin can correct this issue. Let us know if your iPhone exchange helps solve the problem.
  • Well, I have iphone g3 with OS 2.2. I have nuvi 265WT with OS 4.6. So far, have no problem with bluetooth connection, shutting down, etc. Wondering if other confounding iphone software settings are interfering with the paring procedure. I once had a problem with speaker on my iphone and soon realized that it was because I downloaded a particular application. It interfered with the speaker whether or not the application was running. It took me awhile to figure it out. Only after I deleted the application altogether, the speaker worked properly.
    So, what I am trying to say is that since it works perfectly for many users with the exact same operating systems as yours, maybe you can troubleshoot other possible causes, not just a faulty operating softwares.
  • After getting my replacement 265WT and having the very same problem of powering off on its own within a few minutes on battery or charging, Garmin NOW knows of this problem with Bluetooth and iPhone but didnt a week and a half ago.

Waiting for a Garmin update from OS 4.6 to fix this issue. Have turned OFF the Bluetooth for now and seems OK.

I'll keep checking this GREAT forum for a fix.
  • I took the advice and checked the app's loaded on my iPhone and removed one app that I thought might interfere. I then paired the phone again with my 265WT and same shutdown issue

I took my wife's phone (Motorola Razr) and paired it to the Nuvi and and all worked well for the entire day. I then attempted to pair with my iPhone again and low and behold success! For whatever reason my iPhone now works flawlessly with my Nuvi 265WT. I'm not sure if it was the application I deleted from my iPhone or the successful pairing to another phone that fixed things but I can say for a few days now everything is AOK. I'll give it a week and report back here again.
  • melly 0 Points
    my phone (motorola w385) connects fine with the unit. But how do I transfer my contacts from my phone to the address book?
  • SergZak 217 Points
    The contacts transfer will be automatic if that feature of the phone is supported by the nuvi's Bluetooth. Bluetooth on the nuvis can be hit/miss. I've seen instances where the contacts were not transferred. When the phone was re-paired, they suddenly appeared. Also hit/miss is voice dial which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. At least with my Verizon Moto RAZR...
  • melly 0 Points
    Voice dial works on my phone where I can access my address book, but that is the only way I can access it. Do I need an address with the contact for it to transfer, or explicitely send it over?
  • fmimgo 0 Points
    I also have the shutdown problem with iPhone.
  • fmimgo 0 Points
    Any solutions?
  • I just updated the software on my brand new 265wt to 4.6, updated the bluetooth firmware, i have an iphone with 2.2 on it and now the gps unit is shutting down. do you or anyone know if there is a fix for this? it was atleast WORKING before i updated the software! help!
  • After getting my replacement 265WT and having the very same problem of powering off on its own within a few minutes on battery or charging, Garmin NOW knows of this problem with Bluetooth and iPhone but didnt a week and a half ago.

Waiting for a Garmin update from OS 4.6 to fix this issue. Have turned OFF the Bluetooth for now and seems OK.

I'll keep checking this GREAT forum for a fix.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I WILL CALL GARMIN TO REPORT THE ISSUE AS WELL. LET US KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING OUT!
  • I recently purchased both a Nuvi 265WT and an iPhone. I love both gadgets and would love for them to get along. However, due to Apple's software (2.2), this is not possible. The iPhone and Nuvi both paired rather easily. After about a week, the Nuvi would shut down in the presence of the iPhone. It appears (in the Apple website blogs) that when Apple upgraded the software from 2.1 to 2.2, a whole crop of Bluetooth issues came up, mostly with but not limited to, Garmin units. Apple is still denying the cause.
  • Udo 0 Points
    I'm having the same problem with this combination. The 265T and the iphone pair but the Garmin shuts down ~5 seconds later. It will keep shutting down after switching it on until I unpair the iphone.
    I updated the Garmin bluetooth firmware from 1.65 to 1.7 but still have the same problem.
    Everything works great when pairing the Garmin to my Blackberry Pearl.
    I'm not sure whether it's really an iphone only problem because it can't be a coincidence that there are only reports about the 256(W)T in combination with the iphone 2.2 on the web (no other nuvi!).
    Any help appreciated. I will call Garmin and Apple tomorrow.
  • Udo,
    Garmin responded to my email question that I posed on the same day I wrote my original message here. Garmin says it is a problem with the Garmin units that they are aware of and to keep the unit's firmware up to date so that as soon as they fix the problem you will have the fix. I however am not so sure that the issue is Garmin's, or at least not theirs alone. On the Apple blog that I have seen, the word Garmin comes up a lot when Bluetooth is being discussed, but so do other brand names that have connection problems. Why did my LG and Sony Ericsson phones pair effortlessly and the iPhone did not? I still think Apple holds some blame here. Why did my iPhone connect and work perfectly for two days with the Nuvi and then decide to wig out? Since Christmas, I have returned one iPhone for having a defective wiFi reciever (and Bluetooth I thought) AND I returned one Nuvi 265 WT for having a defective Bluetooth reciever (my bad). Both iPhones and Nuvis react the same way with each other. I hope SOMEONE resolves this issue soon. I made sure that the Nuvi had Bluetooth because it is feature I absolutely need.
  • Udo 0 Points
    I talked to Garmin and Apple:
    Garmin: They are aware of the problem but don't have a fix in place at this point. They told me to check the webupdater frequently for a fix in the future. Very good and professional support! I had the feeling they are working on it.
    Apple: They are aware of similar problems and are working on it. No fix in place yet. They want to get back to me via e-mail or phone. Very good support. They listened and were interested in this problem. I guess the fix will be part of a future iphone software update if there is something to fix on their side.
    That stuff happens. Neither Garmin nor Apple is at fault. The two devices just don't work with each other. After talking to both parties, I'm confident that they will figure it out (maybe together).
  • Udo 0 Points
    Here is the fix:
    Apple really got back to me via e-mail and stated that it was a problem with the Garmin unit and I should stay in touch with Garmin (I'll keep monitoring webupdate).
    But he also recommended to try the latest iphone software 2.2.1. AND IT DID FIX THE PROBLEM.
    Great support, Apple, I'm impressed!
  • I'm glad to hear the problem is fixed. However.... I have to say this:

If the address book was not downloading, or the phone was dropping connections or having tons of static etc, I'd be be very willing to blame the phone. However, there is no input from the phone via the bluetooth connection that should be allowed to shut down the GPS. This is poor error handling code on the part of the GPS IMO.

I do software for a living, one of the primary tasks of my software is not to die when the input isn't as expected.

Sure the input may be bad (Apple's fault) but the GPS MUST be able to handle that. I'm glad to see both companies addressed the issue quickly.
  • arfei 0 Points
    IT'S NOT WORKING FOR ME, seems garmin needs to do something :cry:
  • I downloaded the new iPhone update 2.2.1 and the problem is STILL there. NO change at all as it STILL shuts down while the bluetooth is turned on with the iPhone. Wonder why YOURS "seems" to be fixed as i am running the same software updates as you.
  • Udo 0 Points
    Are you guys also using the latest Garmin Bluetooth firmware 1.7. It doesn't come automatically like the update to 4.6. You have to select it from the list. Just a thought... That's the only difference I can think of. I would also recommend to contact Garmin directly. They responded very quickly and seemed to work on the problem.
  • arfei 0 Points
    Still not working. any new updates?
  • If you have iphone 3G 2.2 and have problem bluetooth with Garmin 265wt or other bluetooth device, it will fix the problem.
  • I have the latest iPhone update of 2.2.1 and the latest garmin update of 4.80 and the Bluetooth SW version 1.70 and it STILL turns the GPS off when the bluetooth is turned on.

Why get a bluetooth Garmin if it cant work with one of the best selling Smartphones (iPhone). How long is it going to take for these two companies to "play together well"?
  • Finally fixed for me. Today I connected my iPhone to iTunes to check for any updates for this nagging problem and it downloaded an iPhone "carrier settings" update. Don't know what all was in it, but my pairing issue is now fixed. Hope it lasts. Give it a try.
  • i synced with itunes today as well but it still turns off the GPS. you are lucky yours is somehow 'fixed'.
  • I have all the updates for the garmin 265wt and my iphone 3g has 2.2.1, yet I had reboot problem. Resolved it by doing the following:

(be sure you deleted iphone from list of bluetooth devices on the garmin)

1. paired a non iphone (I used a Blackberry pearl) to the garmin.
    2. left pearl in list of devices on garmin and deleted garmin from the pearl
    3. paired the iphone

This fixed it for me. If I look at devices list in garmin I see the pearl and the iphone, I just never connect it to pearl.

Hope this works for those who still have an issue. I assume any other bluetooth phone paired before iphone would do same fix.

Good luck.
  • arfei 0 Points
    still not working :(
  • I finally got one of the tech-reps at Garmin to admit that no Garmin Nuvi GPS will work properly with the IPhone 3G. It is a Bluetooth software problem that "may" be fixed in the next update. Not very good busisness to sell this product without a disclaimer. I sent mine back.
  • arfei 0 Points
    I finally got one of the tech-reps at Garmin to admit that no Garmin Nuvi GPS will work properly with the IPhone 3G. It is a Bluetooth software problem that "may" be fixed in the next update. Not very good busisness to sell this product without a disclaimer. I sent mine back.
    Did they say when will be the next update? I been waiting for a month now :(
  • Update? They had no idea. I really like the 265, but it was bougth for the handsfree. Sending it back and will shop for some other brand. If everybody would call them, maybe they would mave a little faster.
  • Buckhale 0 Points
    Is this work, what?