Roadmate 1212 battery
  • mgoic
    Hi all,

I just got my first GPS, a Roadmate 1212. I installed it and used for a couple of hours with the AC adapter plugged and worked fine. However the unit does not turn on unplugged. I left the AC connected all night and the battery indicator says it is fully charged, however I am not able to turn the unit on yet. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
  • billr
    I had the same issue.
    You need to charge it using the car cord or a specific Magellan cord.
    It will power and operate with a USB charger but it does not charge the battery.
    It now works fine with the battery
  • billr said:

I had the same issue.
    You need to charge it using the car cord or a specific Magellan cord.
    It will power and operate with a USB charger but it does not charge the battery.
    It now works fine with the battery

Right.

I built a low cost desktop charger by using a 12V dc wall adapter from an old router and wiring it to an in-line $2.00 car cigarette lighter socket you get can find w google. When you plug your car cord into the socket it thinks it's in the car and charges up.

The car cord that came with your unit will withstand a max of 20vdc so unregulated 12V wall adapters will work OK. The DC wall adapter I use is rated at 12VDC, 1A.

The unit is kept in the house fully charged. Except for long trips I can put the 1212 anywhere in any car without contending with wires.

Since the 1212 is small yet has great text-to-voice turn-by-turn and very high max volume, I very seldom need to look at it. On many trips I can just slip it in my shirt pocket and just listen to it as I drive.
  • mgoic
    I have contact with customer service but they are useless to resolve any problem. Every time I receive a reply from a different person and I have to explain the whole story again and again. I uploaded a video to explain them what the problem is, but they simply ignore it and keep saying "be sure to press the on button for at least 5 seconds"...

http://picasaweb.google.com/magoic/Enero?authkey=nxesTMsPxSI&feat=directlink#5293223206283231970
  • mgoic said:

I have contact with customer service but they are useless to resolve any problem. Every time I receive a reply from a different person and I have to explain the whole story again and again. I uploaded a video to explain them what the problem is, but they simply ignore it and keep saying "be sure to press the on button for at least 5 seconds"...

http://picasaweb.google.com/magoic/Enero?authkey=nxesTMsPxSI&feat=directlink#5293223206283231970

Your unit is very likely not designed to charge up with the "AC adapter cord" you have. You need to plug it into your car's cigarette lighter socket with the supplied car cord. The Blue LED on the car cord needs to be ON for about 4 hours (monitor this).

To be more specific it would help to post the part number of the ac adapter cord you are trying to use for charging.
  • PND4ME
    mgoic said:

Hope you did not damaged the battery by overcharging the system. Looks like battery is not holding a charge. Why not send it back to the place you purhcased it and replace it?
    Try to charge with the DC CLA charger in your car, make sure you have 12 V power to your power port when the car is turned off.
    if it does not hold a charge the battery is probably no good.
  • mgoic said:

Hi all,

I just got my first GPS, a Roadmate 1212. I installed it and used for a couple of hours with the AC adapter plugged and worked fine. However the unit does not turn on unplugged. I left the AC connected all night and the battery indicator says it is fully charged, however I am not able to turn the unit on yet. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

mgoic,

did you ever get this problem solved? I have the same problem.

Thanks
  • I've also been having similar issues with this particular GPS. Like yours, it won't stay turned on when unplugging the charger cable. Also, this past summer was extremely hot, and the back cover warped, popping out one of the screws. Today, I removed the back cover, in an attempt to somehow straighten it out and put it back on. To my amazement, the battery was bloated. Seems that the heat wasn't what warped the cover. The bloated battery was pushing it out.

Looks like it shouldn't be difficult to replace the battery, so I'm going to order a new one. Can anybody recommend a company that sells them at a reasonable price? I've seen sites that sell them, but I don't want to get ripped off.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!