This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

RoadMate 1470 Frozen Logo & Circle

jima 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
:( Hello All, I am new to this GPS Forum. I did a search about Magellan 1470 problems and found this Forum. More Info than Magellan's Home Page. I just purchased a RoadMate 1470 and used it 1 day. I went to Magellan's Site and saw an Upgrade 2.05 software. I downloaded it to the GPS Unit. After download and removing the USB cable from the Unit it now has a Frozen Magellan Logo and a Circle on the screen. The Logo stays on the screen, even if you turn it Off. The On & Off switch can be moved to the far right position to Reset and the screen goes to blank. But if you move the On/Off to the Off position the Logo comes back on the screen. The same thing if you move the switch to the On position. It is frozen. The Circle with a Dial will spin about 3 seconds and stops spinning and all is frozen. Magellan's Suport Help talks about a small hole on the right side to insert a small pin to reset the unit. I do not see any holes. I should have maybe not have done the 2.05 Download Fix. It is Fixed for sure.
Does any members have any suggestions ? Will it need to go back to Magellan and if so, what is the Fix?
Thanks for any Help !!! JimA

Comments

• blico 0 Points
    I had the same prob. bougth a 1470 last may that was nearly flawless with orig. firmware. Updated to 2.05 and had the same prob. - locked, bricked, worthless. There is NO reset hole on the 1470, TS should know this by now! I've talked to TS many times about various problems (my 2nd unit is back with them now) they seem to have little more info other than basic menu operation. You will probably need to call TS again and get an RA number to send it back. The TS folks in the Philipines seem to be the most helpful, maybe you'll get lucky and reach them.
    Good luck!
    PS - ask then to send you a shipping label, you'll save about $10.
  • jima 0 Points
    Blico, Thanks for the Info. The Magellan TS is closed on the weekends. I was hoping for a Fix. I will call them Monday AM. Again Thanks, JimA
  • jima 0 Points
    FYI..... Ok, I called Magellan Tech Support. I had to Fax a Receipt for the GPS. Magellan will send me a New RoadMate 1470, after the Validation process.

The Tech claims that during the Download of the 2.05 software their was a Issue with the download that Locked the GPS Unit. They can only send me a New GPS. I am going to Request that the Latest Software be installed in the New Unit they send me..... That maybe asking for to much...... Later, Jim A
  • jima 0 Points
    :( UpDate, Well I called Wed. about the Validation and I was told that they did not recieve or can not find the Fax I sent them. So I had to send a second Fax with the requested Info.
    I called back on Friday and Magellan claims that they have mailed me a Return Shipping Label today. So I have no choice but to wait and see.
    I guess stuff happens, but I will not Fiddle with the New Magellan 1470 GPS, if and when I get it.....
    Later, JimA
  • blico 0 Points
    I thought it was strange when you first posted that they were going to send you a unit without rcving one 1st. Good luck.
    My experience with TS and Magellan is becoming irritating. They rcvd my 1470 on 12/3 - all week the web site showed "processing order". On the 10th I called and asked for an update, they said everything is dandy and would soon be resolved. I reminded them that they say that I would get a unit back within 7 to 10 days from their receipt. On the 11th the status showed "unit rcvd" - I called them and asked if their clock is starting now. They said 7 - 10 buisness days from the 3rd. later the same day -I got a message that a 1475 was sent fedex. Looks like the are "upgrading" to a 1475, which according to a lot of forums has a passel of its own problems and I use it in an area that has no traffic signal available. We shall see!
  • blico 0 Points
    I thought it was strange when you first posted that they were going to send you a unit without rcving one 1st. Good luck.
    My experience with TS and Magellan is becoming irritating. They rcvd my 1470 on 12/3 - all week the web site showed "processing order". On the 10th I called and asked for an update, they said everything is dandy and would soon be resolved. I reminded them that they say that I would get a unit back within 7 to 10 days from their receipt. On the 11th the status showed "unit rcvd" - I called them and asked if their clock is starting now. They said 7 - 10 buisness days from the 3rd. later the same day -I got a message that a 1475 was sent fedex. Looks like the are "upgrading" to a 1475, which according to a lot of forums has a passel of its own problems and I use it in an area that has no traffic signal available. We shall see!
  • jima 0 Points
    :D :D Hello, Just a update on my Frozen 1470 I sent back to Magellan...
    Well, I got the New Replacement for my frozen Magellan 1470. It is a New Updated 1470 Unit. It has the 2.20 software installed and the On/Off/Reset switch on the top side of the Unit is differant. My 1470 I sent back for replacement had a switch on top that had a On position--a Off position and a Reset position.... The New replacement has a switch on the top that you slide toward the left to turn it On. It is spring loaded so it goes back to the right on its own. If you slide the switch back again to the left it turns the unit Off and it goes back to the right on it own...
    Nothing is stated about Reset.... Just to the left of the switch is a Off/On symbol... The Arrow location on the Map seem very accurateat a street or intersection.... The Map does seem to not be as Bright during the day time, compared to the Unit I sent back. But I had only used it for 1 day.....
    So, I have learned my Lesson, if it works do not fix it.... No more Magellan Software Patch Down-Loads...... SN.=0782000511242 of New Unit.. Old Unit SN.=0782200152887..........
    I Guess there is Hope.....Later, JimA
  • Dont do the 2.20 map update for the 1470 unless you want to have an expensive paper weight!
    They say the roads are updated and they are not. I believe we are being played for $80 suckers on these GPS's no matter the Mfg.

I just sent the 1470 back because of the froze logo screen after the update. However I liked it enough to order another one.....whos the dummy..........but you can bet I will not update it.

There is no need for me to cover the quirks of this unit as they are already well stated.
  • Version 2.20 is a firmware update. This does not in any way change the maps. I haven't heard enough information to change the firmware on my unit yet. I have 2.05 rel 3. There is 1 routing error that I am aware of. I don't know if it is firmware or Navteq related.
  • phonos 0 Points
    :( Hello All, I am new to this GPS Forum. I did a search about Magellan 1470 problems and found this Forum. More Info than Magellan's Home Page. I just purchased a RoadMate 1470 and used it 1 day. I went to Magellan's Site and saw an Upgrade 2.05 software. I downloaded it to the GPS Unit. After download and removing the USB cable from the Unit it now has a Frozen Magellan Logo and a Circle on the screen. The Logo stays on the screen, even if you turn it Off. The On & Off switch can be moved to the far right position to Reset and the screen goes to blank. But if you move the On/Off to the Off position the Logo comes back on the screen. The same thing if you move the switch to the On position. It is frozen. The Circle with a Dial will spin about 3 seconds and stops spinning and all is frozen. Magellan's Suport Help talks about a small hole on the right side to insert a small pin to reset the unit. I do not see any holes. . . .
    DITTO, DITTO, DITTO. I fixed the problem by taking it back and getting another one. My mistake was not getting a store credit instead. So how do we proceed? Contact whom to demand a recall? Glad I found this forum.
  • phonos 0 Points
    Joy! Updated 1470 (w/ 2.04 firmware) to 2.22_rel_2a.

However, FWIW -- I used the procedure (with modification noted in post) at --

< http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133232 >.

It appears that using this procedure the 2.22 release will not brick the unit (at least it worked for me). There is another "however", one users apparently sucessful update bricked after he used it for a couple of weeks. Soooooooo, we shall see.

My 1470 is Hardware release 1.0 with a three (3) position switch on top (on-off-reset).