This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Official Ask a Magellan Rep Thread!

maggie.nav 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Hello,

My name is Maggie and I am a community representative from Magellan. I am here to help answers any questions you may have concerning our Roadmate app available for the iPhone 3G/S and iPod Touch. I can also help answer questions concerning our new Premium Car Kit Available for pre-order now.

Thank you for your interest. :D

Comments

• I have a question on the car kit. It states it will work with cases. Has there been any testing on Otterbox Defender cases specifically? It is a pretty thick case as it combines a hard plastic case and a rubber case over that.

If you have not tested that, and I find the car kit does not work, can I return it for a full refund? Do I lose shipping costs?

Thanks!
  • I have a question on the car kit. It states it will work with cases. Has there been any testing on Otterbox Defender cases specifically? It is a pretty thick case as it combines a hard plastic case and a rubber case over that.

If you have not tested that, and I find the car kit does not work, can I return it for a full refund? Do I lose shipping costs?

Thanks!
    Madurodave,

I have not tested the otterbox defender myself; but, my guess is that it should fit. i believe the case itself will fit excluding attachable belt clip. As for our return policy, I cannot give you an answer until I hear from management after they return back to work from the holidays. I am guessing shipping cost will not be included.

Therefore; I think it might be best for you to purchase the Car Kit from Best buy. It should be available the first week of Jan.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Madurodave,

I have not tested the otterbox defender myself; but, my guess is that it should fit. i believe the case itself will fit excluding attachable belt clip. As for our return policy, I cannot give you an answer until I hear from management after they return back to work from the holidays. I am guessing shipping cost will not be included.

Therefore; I think it might be best for you to purchase the Car Kit from Best buy. It should be available the first week of Jan.

Thanks!
    MaggieNav, I can confirm it will fit the Outterbox Defender case. I have mine in the case now to confirm it does fit. The preproduction unit did not fit the Outterbox Defender case.
    Nice work Magellan.
  • PND4ME,

Wonderful. Thats great news.
  • PND4ME,

I have to make a correction on my input regarding the Outter Box Defender case working on the new Magellan iCradle Car Kit, it does fit and holds unlike the pre-productioin cradle but the receptacle is not long enough to reach the iPhone connector so the Outter Box Defender case WILL NOT work with the new Magellan iPhone Cradle. Sorry
  • PND4ME,

I have to make a correction on my input regarding the Outter Box Defender case working on the new Magellan iCradle Car Kit, it does fit and holds unlike the pre-productioin cradle but the receptacle is not long enough to reach the iPhone connector so the Outter Box Defender case WILL NOT work with the new Magellan iPhone Cradle. Sorry
    Almost but no cigar....
  • PND4ME,

Almost but no cigar....
    Damn, that's what I said too. LOL, I use a OutterBox Defender and it will be a B@#%h to take it out of the case each time to test this thing. Not fun.
  • I have the original iphone and am planning to buy the Tom Tom or this one. I know the TomTOm will work with the IPone 2g/edge/original, the official literature does not say that the Magellan will. However it does say the iPod2G does. I am not sure what might limit the original iPhone from working, but wanted to make sure it does not. I prefer the Magellan (better design to accommodate different cases and even larger iphones...one never knows).
  • I have the original iphone and am planning to buy the Tom Tom or this one. I know the TomTOm will work with the IPone 2g/edge/original, the official literature does not say that the Magellan will. However it does say the iPod2G does. I am not sure what might limit the original iPhone from working, but wanted to make sure it does not. I prefer the Magellan (better design to accommodate different cases and even larger iphones...one never knows).
    I'm sure maggie.nav will be able to answer, I don't own the orginal iPhone 2g/edge anymore but I would think that due to processing speed that it maybe not as much an issue as to if it will work but more as to how long it will take before it works. Again, I can't confirm only guessing here.
    The Magellan Premium car kit does have more features and to me seems a bit better quality over all. I own both TomTom and magellan car kits.

To view the difference between the iPhone car kits on YouTube:

• Thanks for the info about the two. The Tom Tom does seem to be less thought out in terms of overall usability. The fact that it is such a specific fit is really pretty stunning. Have they ever looked at real iPhones in the field?!

The Magellan does look nice and the very fact that I'm considering it is something. I own a Magellan GPS and customer support and software was such a nightmare (ie getting it to work with XPSP2) I swore off buying Magellan and since then all my friends and family have been Garmin/TomTom buyers. Since this is just hardware I'll give them another chance...but not their app.

Do you know if/when these will be in stores? I'd like to see one hands on before I drop $140 (tax).
  • Thanks for the info about the two. The Tom Tom does seem to be less thought out in terms of overall usability. The fact that it is such a specific fit is really pretty stunning. Have they ever looked at real iPhones in the field?!

The Magellan does look nice and the very fact that I'm considering it is something. I own a Magellan GPS and customer support and software was such a nightmare (ie getting it to work with XPSP2) I swore off buying Magellan and since then all my friends and family have been Garmin/TomTom buyers. Since this is just hardware I'll give them another chance...but not their app.

Do you know if/when these will be in stores? I'd like to see one hands on before I drop $140 (tax).
    They will soon be available in Apple store, but you save tax if you buy directly from Magellan or Autonavdirect.com. Free shipping from Autonavdirect.com

Magellan customer support have been getting much better, it takes time to turn things around and it is very costly but they have been much better than before.

Garmin and TomTom units all have issues too so there is no perfect PND unit but it is your choice who you wish to use and if the features meet your requirments.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I was sitting here thinking to myself "of course it will work". I've used the TomTom app and the Navigon app on the original iPhone with the Magellan Car Kit, so certainly the Magellan app on the same phone should work with the Magellan Car Kit.

But... I just tried it. Could be a temporary fluke-- I didn't have much time to play with it, but it didn't work for me. I couldn't get the Magellan app on the original iPhone 2G using the Magellan Car Kit to find a GPS signal. Audio through the Car Kit worked and the iPhone was showing as charging-- so it knew it was connected. But I couldn't get it to find a GPS signal.

If I get more time this afternoon I'll play with it more; I don't see why it isn't working.
  • I'm in Pasadena, so I pay CA tax. Bummer.

The issue with the Magellan wasn't so much that there was an issue, but the hoops they made me jump through to get it resolved. It was even worse when I called back in the spring of '09. Their website is TERRIBLE for getting any help and the call center (India?) kept telling me the software works and didn't seem to understand that the program was telling me "sorry does not work, call magellan for a fix". I had installed the patch before and just needed the link to the file. The phone techs were clueless and insisted that the software worked fine and I needed to reinstall it. Finally after repeated calls and emails I got a lady who know what she was doing and sent me the ftp link. She admitted they don't train employees on older products and information is sparse even for the more trained. Anywho...don't mean to rant, but it was one of the worst customer support ordeals I've run across.
  • I was sitting here thinking to myself "of course it will work". I've used the TomTom app and the Navigon app on the original iPhone with the Magellan Car Kit, so certainly the Magellan app on the same phone should work with the Magellan Car Kit.

But... I just tried it. Could be a temporary fluke-- I didn't have much time to play with it, but it didn't work for me. I couldn't get the Magellan app on the original iPhone 2G using the Magellan Car Kit to find a GPS signal. Audio through the Car Kit worked and the iPhone was showing as charging-- so it knew it was connected. But I couldn't get it to find a GPS signal.

If I get more time this afternoon I'll play with it more; I don't see why it isn't working.
    I am not planning on buying the Magellan App (Navigon, or Tom Tom maybe...Motion X at first to see how that works). As long as it does work with TT and Navigon that is good enough for me! Thanks for the info, very helpful.
  • Tim,

It would be great if we can get some more results concerning how the PCK works with the iPhone 2G. Officially, I cannot say that the Magellan Premium Car Kit will work with the older iPhone 2G's because we have no tested it; but unofficially, it should work and not only exclusive to a particular Navigation app.
  • I'm in Pasadena, so I pay CA tax. Bummer.

The issue with the Magellan wasn't so much that there was an issue, but the hoops they made me jump through to get it resolved. It was even worse when I called back in the spring of '09. Their website is TERRIBLE for getting any help and the call center (India?) kept telling me the software works and didn't seem to understand that the program was telling me "sorry does not work, call magellan for a fix". I had installed the patch before and just needed the link to the file. The phone techs were clueless and insisted that the software worked fine and I needed to reinstall it. Finally after repeated calls and emails I got a lady who know what she was doing and sent me the ftp link. She admitted they don't train employees on older products and information is sparse even for the more trained. Anywho...don't mean to rant, but it was one of the worst customer support ordeals I've run across.
    CTYankee,

If you are worried about Magellan Mobile support, I am sure everyone on this forum can vouch that you will get the most up to par customer service from me.

Pasadena is not far from San Dimas. If you like, we can meet up sometime during lunch and you can get a better look at the Premium Car Kit. But like PND4me said, they will be available at the Apple Store soon.
  • CTYankee 0 Points
    Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that Magellan acknowledges the issues of the past and are making steps to improve that. Your presence here goes a long way. Offering to take time over lunch to show the product is probably the best CS I've gotten. So very reassuring

Being a former R&D guy, I'm surprised the original was not tested and therefor not marketed as such. If anything I'd think that would be the first to test as we are without GPS and this $130 add on is a lot cheaper than a new phone and more expensive monthly plan. I know I am not upgrading mine as the car kit gives me the functionality I need. It came down to compatibility. I see the Magellan as the better product, but if it didn't work I would have bought the Tom Tom. As a consumer with an original iPhone I didn't see the Magellan as an option, whereas Tom Tom has been very proactive about making sure people know theirs works with my phone. Less inquisitive or determined people would have assumed it does not and bought the Tom Tom.

I'd gladly do extensive free testing for you in the Southern CA area and Pacific NW (honeymoon in April) to get you this testing you need to market your product to this segment of the market. I would just need a test unit and software :wink:
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that Magellan acknowledges the issues of the past and are making steps to improve that. Your presence here goes a long way. Offering to take time over lunch to show the product is probably the best CS I've gotten. So very reassuring

Being a former R&D guy, I'm surprised the original was not tested and therefor not marketed as such. If anything I'd think that would be the first to test as we are without GPS and this $130 add on is a lot cheaper than a new phone and more expensive monthly plan. I know I am not upgrading mine as the car kit gives me the functionality I need. It came down to compatibility. I see the Magellan as the better product, but if it didn't work I would have bought the Tom Tom. As a consumer with an original iPhone I didn't see the Magellan as an option, whereas Tom Tom has been very proactive about making sure people know theirs works with my phone. Less inquisitive or determined people would have assumed it does not and bought the Tom Tom.

I'd gladly do extensive free testing for you in the Southern CA area and Pacific NW (honeymoon in April) to get you this testing you need to market your product to this segment of the market. I would just need a test unit and software :wink:
    Everyone wish to be a beta tester LOL.... FREE products?
  • CTYankee 0 Points

Not free, comes with the ability to say "works with iPhone 2G" on their marketing materials. Thats worth something. Hey, its worth a shot!
  • Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that Magellan acknowledges the issues of the past and are making steps to improve that. Your presence here goes a long way. Offering to take time over lunch to show the product is probably the best CS I've gotten. So very reassuring

Not free, comes with the ability to say "works with iPhone 2G" on their marketing materials. Thats worth something. Hey, its worth a shot!
    LOL. Definitely worth a shot. I'll check with my manager.
  • CTYankee,

It has come to my attention that the Car Kit will work with the iPhone 1G; but the Magellan app will not. I believe the only app on the market that will work on the 1G is TomTom's.

If you are still interested on purchasing the Magellan Car Kit, I believe they are now available to look at your local Apple store.
  • Maggie,
    Is there any fix yet for the magellan car kit aux issue?
    Thanks
  • Maggie,
    Is there any fix yet for the magellan car kit aux issue?
    Thanks
    Cryspy102,

No...not yet. The issue is still up in the air. Sorry.
  • Just wanted to say have a good weekend everyone :wink: !
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    You have a wonderful weekend also Maggie!
    Looking foreward to Magellan releasing th 3xxx and 5xxx PNDs!
  • jmazur 0 Points
    i have a 3rd gen ipod touch and I'm considering purchasing the premium car kit;

if I were to plug in my itouch and open the voice command app would the mic on the kit be able to pick up my spoken command and execute it?
    EDIT - after watching this video it appears that the answer is yes but the magellan person in the video used an iphone and not a touch - can anyone confirm this works with the touch too?

--------------------
    also would I be able to pair my bluetooth enabled cellphone with the kit while my itouch was plugged in and access the speakerphone functionality?
    EDIT - after watching this video I have discovered the answer to this question is a yes!

--------------------

also does bluetooth have to be enabled on my touch in order for it to work with the kit period?

and finally a few questions about the kit’s speaker functionality: can I control where I want specific audio to come out? For example can I have just music come out of my car speakers and spoken directions come out of the kit’s speaker? Does this depend on the type of navigation app I am using? Or is the circumstance like this: If you have an audio cable plugged into the kit and the car, all audio will come out of the car speakers only.
  • maggie.nav 0 Points

if I were to plug in my itouch and open the voice command app would the mic on the kit be able to pick up my spoken command and execute it?
    EDIT - after watching this video it appears that the answer is yes but the magellan person in the video used an iphone and not a touch - can anyone confirm this works with the touch too?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrjSH3bEIG8
    --------------------
    also would I be able to pair my bluetooth enabled cellphone with the kit while my itouch was plugged in and access the speakerphone functionality?
    EDIT - after watching this video I have discovered the answer to this question is a yes!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27TZAEvZ928
    --------------------

also does bluetooth have to be enabled on my touch in order for it to work with the kit period?

and finally a few questions about the kit’s speaker functionality: can I control where I want specific audio to come out? For example can I have just music come out of my car speakers and spoken directions come out of the kit’s speaker? Does this depend on the type of navigation app I am using? Or is the circumstance like this: If you have an audio cable plugged into the kit and the car, all audio will come out of the car speakers only.
    Hi Jmazur,

We have not tested the Premium Car Kit with the iPod Touch's Voice Command, but the answer should be Yes. According to the iPod's specifications and features, the voice control should be compatible.

- Maggie :D
  • jmazur 0 Points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrjSH3bEIG8
    --------------------
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27TZAEvZ928
    --------------------

Hi Jmazur,

We have not tested the Premium Car Kit with the iPod Touch's Voice Command, but the answer should be Yes. According to the iPod's specifications and features, the voice control should be compatible.

- Maggie :D
    well after purchasing the kit i can say that I haven't been able to get voice control to work with my touch. do I need to activate bluetooth on my touch for this feature? also I cannot find the pin number to pair my bluetooth cell phone with the kit.
  • Hi Peteostro,

Sorry there isn't a confirm date, but we will keep you posted. :)

- Maggie
  • Hi Everyone,

We have tested the Premium Cat Kit with the new iPhone 4 and it is compatible. The change in the iPhone hardware affects the way the iPhone is seated in the Magellan Premium Car Kit and consequently the iPhone needs to sit tighter in the Premium Car Kit (See Picture 1 below). If the audio is not working or stops after a short period of time, the user should press the phone in for a tighter fit (See Picture 2 below). This will also resolve the issue where a message may pop up stating it is not a compatible device.

Since iPhone 4 is thinner than previous iPhones, users will also want to increase the throw of the adjustment block. The Magellan Premium Car Kit ships with a throw of up to 3mm of the adjustment block and the design incorporated the ability to double the throw to 6mm. To do this, the user simply needs to pull out the adjustment block and rotate it 180° (See Pictures 3, 4 and 5 below).

- Maggie

Picture 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51694253@N08/4750659896/
    Picture 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51694253@N08/4750017701/
    Picture 3: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51694253@N08/4750017951/
    Picture 4: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51694253@N08/4750018233/
    Picture 5: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51694253@N08/4750661038/
  • powerdog 0 Points
    Hope this is the right forum:

Is there any plan to update the Roadmate app for iPhone 4 and its improved screen? Reviews of the current version (last updated in Feb!) in the iTunes store are showing lots of problems. Yet I can't even find a mention of iPhone 4 and Roadmate together on a single web page.

If there's nothing coming out soon, I need to know so I can buy a different nav app. Thanks.
  • Hi Everyone,

We are currently in beta testing right now for the Magellan app. Of course the new update will feature multi-tasking and other new cool surprises.

- Maggie
  • and.........??????

It is not ready (and sounds like it won't be for some time). Looks like Magellan is not too serious about the iOS market. Navigon is the one I'm using and really like.
  • I just bought Magellan Car Kit for Iphone.
    Good design and nice fit for iPhone.
    But, it keeps connect/disconnect itself from power source(cigarette lighter).
    I don't use a cover or skin so I used the support bumper.
    Anyone has same problem with it ? Rolling Eyes
  • As I posted this forum regarding Car kit I tried.
    I tried 2 kits both failed and got refunded from Apple store.

first one - power connection problem
    second one - dead speaker

I won't try anymore your car kit.
  • As I posted this forum regarding Car kit I tried.
    I tried 2 kits both failed and got refunded from Apple store.

first one - power connection problem
    second one - dead speaker

I won't try anymore your car kit.
    Hi Nuvira,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with our car kit and we will look into these issues you presented to us. During these issues, did you check that your plugs were completely secure into the Car kit and the cigarette lighter? Loose plugs from the cigarette lighter may cause the iPhone to continuously disconnect and reconnect from the car kit.

Thank you for your response.

- Maggie
  • second one had no issue on power connection at all with same lighter hole.
    but speaker was dead.
    Btw, is this kit sound to speaker by wire or blue-tooth to iPhone ?
  • Hmm. no one knows my question here.

Is this kit sound to speaker by wire or blue-tooth to iPhone ? :roll:
  • Seyu 0 Points
    Hmm. no one knows my question here.

Are you asking how is the iPhone connected and where does the sound come out? I dont really understand your question. The sound comes out through the speaker when you dock the iPhone into the car kit. Please elaborate. :D :?:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Sound goes from iphone via Bluetooth to the car kit to the speaker in the car kit.
  • Got it. that means this kit have problem with bluetooth interface with iPhone.
  • ohtoy 0 Points
    regarding Magellan Roadmate 2010

It says "We care about our customers and products and apologize for the delay of our iOS4 update." on the app store.

i am wondering if you have any clue as to when there will be an update for the iphone4?
  • regarding Magellan Roadmate 2010

It says "We care about our customers and products and apologize for the delay of our iOS4 update." on the app store.

i am wondering if you have any clue as to when there will be an update for the iphone4?
    Magellan has abandoned their "Maggie" presence on line. No activity here, facebook, twitter, macrumors and anywhere else it seems.

Made a lot of promises, broke most of them, and flat out fed a lot of misinformation about fixes, updates, and such. Even tried faking a Facebook contest. "All winners have already been notified :]"...then when people grew suspicious and asked to see the list, "People with the asterisks near their name please send me a message because I am unable to send you a notification due to privacy settings". Hmmm, how did you notify them the first time? Oh, and then expired codes were sent to some.

Its been 4 months since the update was said to be coming. Moral of the story, don't trust Magellan.
  • ohtoy 0 Points
    Wow, thank you CTYankee

i really want to buy the Magellan software, (I bought the car kit), but cant unless i know there is a real working update coming. From what I understand, there needs to be an update before it will work properly.

Strange that they have their apology disclaimer front and center on their website and the iTunes app store, but they cant be bothered to make any kind of real public statement about what is going on.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Magellan has abandoned their "Maggie" presence on line. No activity here, facebook, twitter, macrumors and anywhere else it seems.
    They were active here within the past month and have been on Twitter within the past week.
  • Magellan has abandoned their "Maggie" presence on line. No activity here, facebook, twitter, macrumors and anywhere else it seems.

They were active here within the past month and have been on Twitter within the past week.
    Sept 10 is the last activity here, sept 1 all others (she had a different twitter account than magellans main account which is active).

The idea was a good one. However eiher she made promises development couldn't keep or they fed her misinformation. Either way anything about their products lacks any credibility. Too many "we will fix that soon" with nothing to show for it.
  • Wow, thank you CTYankee

i really want to buy the Magellan software, (I bought the car kit), but cant unless i know there is a real working update coming. From what I understand, there needs to be an update before it will work properly.

Strange that they have their apology disclaimer front and center on their website and the iTunes app store, but they cant be bothered to make any kind of real public statement about what is going on.
    At thus point if they could get a ios4 version out they would have. For whatever reasons their development capabilities are severly lacking and likely means more to come down the road. Tomtom has already submitted a point update (1.5) since making theirs ios4 compatible. Essentially lapping Magellan. Staying on top of development is the name of the game and Magellan is clearly very far behind all others. Buy it only if it meats your needs as is. Future updates cannot be reliably expected. And it would not be the first time Magellan dropped support and left customers hanging.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The Magellan iPhone app is a bit of a different beast since it isn't being developed by Magellan like the other Magellan products. The app is essentially a clone of the iGo MyWay app from NNG Global. So they have put themselves at the mercy of another party for their branded iPhone app.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    But even TomTom hasn't released the iOS4 update yet, tho the plan to do so was announced over a month ago. I wouldn't be so quick to write-off Magellan. Agreed they may not have the best support track record, but it's a little early to claim they've abandoned their iPhone plans.