This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan Premium Car Kit vs. TomTom Car Kit for iPhone:

2»

Comments

• PND4ME 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    Maggie@Macrumors is taking suggestions on what other free features users would like to see in our free car kit app. You can either contact her or I can forward along your suggestion.
    1] A hard mounting Magellan docking car kit that offers an optional lager display screen driven by the iPhone in the iCardle! Possible OEM solution!
    2] voice commands that function like the Google voice search
    3] Google local search so we are not stuck with what is offered only by NavTeq/Magellan under the limited POI selection
    4] Free Traffic service
    5] Improved Car Kit that will house ANY protective iPhone/iPoddevices
    6] Lower the price of the Car kit
    7] Geo caching games option, GPS games
    8] Real pedestrian mode navigation that will cut you through parks and parking lots.
    9] Virtual image of streets and buildings
    10] Last, they want it all for FREE! :D :D :D

Thanks MaggieNav
  • Thanks Tim.

I will hopefully go to Best Buy this weekend to see and buy it.

Madurodave,

BB is awesome and all...but why not Amazon? Free shipping and no Tax! :D

MaggieNav: BB and Amazon is awesome and all...but why not Autonavdirect? Free shipping and no Tax plus supporting local small business that offer the same pricing and better service? :D
    I will check them out. Since I live in NH, I never pay tax anyway!
  • Close to Manchester

I'll be there about a week from now for about a week and a half if you want to check out mine.
    Thank you so much for the offer Tim. I think I will end up buying it anyway, so no need to see it first.
  • Thanks Tim.

I will hopefully go to Best Buy this weekend to see and buy it.

Madurodave,

BB is awesome and all...but why not Amazon? Free shipping and no Tax! :D

MaggieNav: BB and Amazon is awesome and all...but why not Autonavdirect? Free shipping and no Tax plus supporting local small business that offer the same pricing and better service? :D
    LOL. Agree! Autonavdirect sounds like a incredible deal.
  • Well, I just ordered my Magellan Car Kit from AutoNavDirect. I will give a short review/impression when I receive it.

Thanks!
  • Well, I got home last night and guess what was waiting for me? Yup, The Magellan Car Kit for Iphone!

Very nice unit, well put together. I just took it for a test drive on the way to work and it really works great. No dropped signals from lost GPS reception. I connected the car kit to my car speakers through the 3.5 mm jack. Absolutely no electrical whine noise as I had with the cigarette lighter charger. Very nice and quiet!

As PND4ME pointed out, the Otterbox case does NOT allow contact with the charging base. :cry: Any ideas of protective cases that will fit in the car kit, PND4ME or Maggie.nav? I think I need to invest in a new case (one that also fits my Onkyo IPOD dock on my home receiver while I am at it.

So far, so very good!

Oh, and the statement that it works with any nav app is correct. I used Navigon today and no issues.
  • Thank you for great review on Magellan iPhone premium car kit
    Most iPhone protective cover will work
    visit www.autonavdirect.com to get the iPhone protective cover at a great deal!

Happy you enjoyed the quick delivery service and accurate information I provided

Happy you enjoyed the quick delivery service and accurate information I provided
    Any idea if the SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel M case will work with the Magellan Premium Car Kit? Looks like a fairly sturdy case, has a belt clip and not too expensive.

Any idea if the SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel M case will work with the Magellan Premium Car Kit? Looks like a fairly sturdy case, has a belt clip and not too expensive.
    I have no idea but since you have your Magellan Premium car kit, I would go to a local retailer that sell that SwitchEasy case and try it out. My guess is with a belt clip it probably won't work. I works with MOST but not ALL as advertised. :)

I have no idea but since you have your Magellan Premium car kit, I would go to a local retailer that sell that SwitchEasy case and try it out. My guess is with a belt clip it probably won't work. I works with MOST but not ALL as advertised. :)
    The belt clip comes off, so it is just the case with hard spine. The spine can also be removed. It does not appear to have the same depth to the bottom plug connection and also works with ipod docks, so it appears to be a winner.

The belt clip comes off, so it is just the case with hard spine. The spine can also be removed. It does not appear to have the same depth to the bottom plug connection and also works with ipod docks, so it appears to be a winner.
    Wonderful! :D
  • Well, I got home last night and guess what was waiting for me? Yup, The Magellan Car Kit for Iphone!

Very nice unit, well put together. I just took it for a test drive on the way to work and it really works great. No dropped signals from lost GPS reception. I connected the car kit to my car speakers through the 3.5 mm jack. Absolutely no electrical whine noise as I had with the cigarette lighter charger. Very nice and quiet!

As PND4ME pointed out, the Otterbox case does NOT allow contact with the charging base. :cry: Any ideas of protective cases that will fit in the car kit, PND4ME or Maggie.nav? I think I need to invest in a new case (one that also fits my Onkyo IPOD dock on my home receiver while I am at it.

So far, so very good!

Oh, and the statement that it works with any nav app is correct. I used Navigon today and no issues.
    Madurodave,

Thats great! Im glad you were able to share your positive experience with everyone. Thank you for the review.
  • A brief story related to this conversation. At one time a GPS company (to be nameless right now) was getting flack from users that their GPS wasn't as accurate as their competitors. They figured users were just looking at their estimated accuracy compared to their competitors. So they ran some tests.

They took a few locations that were surveyed to a very high precision. They measured the actual accuracy as compared to what the GPS was conservatively displayed as the estimated accuracy. They realized they were being too conservative with their estimate, so they changed how the estimate was calculated to show a more aggressive value. They released the change in a firmware update.

For the next month, forums were flooded with messages from people saying that the firmware update made their GPS "twice as accurate!". But nothing was changed with regards to actual accuracy... just what they were displaying for the estimated accuracy field.

So the GPS was no more accurate, but their users certainly thought so! The Placebo Effect at work. :) The aggressiveness of the number is often driven by the marketing department.
    Great story Tim,
    I've run into this exact issue. You'll even find "EXPERTs" on the various phone and GPS forums who will claim as fact that one unit is more "accurate" than the other, based on hearsay and the little estimates.

This same misconception is rampant on many phone forums where people seem to feel that the number of bars is a good representation of how good a given phone or network's quality is.
    --------
    Back on subject... I'd really love to see a car kit route call audio through the aux to my car speakers. I have the TomTom cradle, and my biggest gripe is that at highway speeds I can't hear the caller.

Has anyone compared the speakerphone features of these two units to see how they compare?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Has anyone compared the speakerphone features of these two units to see how they compare?
    The speaker on the Magellan kit seems a little better than the TomTom speaker, but the microphone on the TomTom (what the user on the other end of the call hears) seems a little better than the Magellan.

I'm a bit more concerned about the speaker quality than the microphone quality (since I use it more) so I've been happiest with the Magellan kit.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Back on subject... I'd really love to see a car kit route call audio through the aux to my car speakers. I have the TomTom cradle, and my biggest gripe is that at highway speeds I can't hear the caller.
    i haven't tried this, but maybe line out the earphone jack to stereo Aux In (not sure what would happen to mic) ... i've used my earphones/mic for some calls while on highway, works better than mount speaker/mic.
  • Back on subject... I'd really love to see a car kit route call audio through the aux to my car speakers. I have the TomTom cradle, and my biggest gripe is that at highway speeds I can't hear the caller.

i haven't tried this, but maybe line out the earphone jack to stereo Aux In (not sure what would happen to mic) ... i've used my earphones/mic for some calls while on highway, works better than mount speaker/mic.
    That is what I do, but I use my car's Bluetooth for calls. Works great.
  • The one thing I have not noticed anyone mention is the problem with the Tom Tom not charging properly while using the iPhone when it os I'm the Tom Tom charging cradle. You can google this and find 1000s of complaints. The problem we have experienced os that one would think that the iPhone would be charging while it's sits in the cradle. Also you would think that it till charges when you use the navigation program or any program for that matter while sitting in the charging cradle. It doesn't. I experienced dozens of times my iPhone at 30% battery life. Placed the iPhone in the cradle and thought it was charging. The icon shows it is, but once you use any program that uses the phone to include talking, the car kit does not charge enough to use the phone and gain a positive charge. After an hour ride intake the phone off the charger and I have 32% battery life. I shouldve had 100%.

I am wondering if the Magellan car kit is experiencing the same problem?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I haven't experienced that with either the Magellan or the TomTom Car Kit. Occasionally when I plug it in I won't get the double vibrate (when in silent mode) or double chime but I'll just plug it in again and it works fine.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    likewise, i have not experienced a battery drain while using phone on TomTom mount - use it regulary during 1hr 20min commute ... in fact, i often use navigation w/ ipod and have even run SlingPlayer over 3G for hours (glancing at and listening to Masters golf tourney) ... and my iPhone 3GS charges and stays charged.
  • The one thing I have not noticed anyone mention is the problem with the Tom Tom not charging properly while using the iPhone when it os I'm the Tom Tom charging cradle. You can google this and find 1000s of complaints. The problem we have experienced os that one would think that the iPhone would be charging while it's sits in the cradle. Also you would think that it till charges when you use the navigation program or any program for that matter while sitting in the charging cradle. It doesn't. I experienced dozens of times my iPhone at 30% battery life. Placed the iPhone in the cradle and thought it was charging. The icon shows it is, but once you use any program that uses the phone to include talking, the car kit does not charge enough to use the phone and gain a positive charge. After an hour ride intake the phone off the charger and I have 32% battery life. I shouldve had 100%.

I have the same issue. The phone does not charge fully. I don't know whether the cradle just diverts some power to the external chip so it does not charge as well?
  • navxguy 0 Points
    just curious ... are you charging a 3G or 3GS? do you have wi-fi on or off typically? is your screen brightness high or medium or low?

i'm charging a 3GS, wi-fi turned off, and screen on medium-to-low ... and have no problem charging on TomTom's mount while using phone or other streaming services.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I leave Bluetooth on, wifi on, my screen brightness about 3/4 of the way to max with push turned on two accounts for constant calendar/mail/contact syncs-- just about everything you can think of that would drain battery and while using the GPS apps in the cradles the phone always will charge back up quickly.
  • pw4 0 Points
    After owning my Magellan iPhone Premium GPS Kit for about 12 days, I have noticed the last 4 or 5 days that it is NOT charging my iPhone 3GS. Every 30 seconds or so it vibrates like it does when I first dock it (I keep the phone on vibrate most of the time). The phone gets very hot as well, but no warning messages have appeared.

I have WiFi turned "off", Bluetooth "on", 3G "on", and 3/4 screen brightness. Using Trapster app with its Google Maps feature. I tried both charging ports in my car and have the same charging problem. It shows that it is charging, but after 30 minutes driving the battery level is always noticeably lower than it started. My regular iPhone charger works very well in both charging ports.

I do like the speaker for phone calls. The mic is nothing to brag about--callers always ask that I speak up so I'm almost shouting, and they hear road noise. I hear this is the problem with most all kits; I hope technology improves for mic's soon! The GPS works fine for me.

Is anyone else experiencing this charging problem? Should I take it back and try again?
  • I experienced the same thing, after updating my phone 3GS to ios4. The Magellan cradle, trying to do 4 things at once (charge, GPS antenna, Line out, Blue tooth) is too much and the unit shorts out every 30 seconds. I went through 2 Megellan units with the same problem. They both died on the 12th day. Luckily I bought it from the apple store and took it back before the 14th day (no questions asked trial period for returns). The third time I got the Tom-tom unit, and no problems since. If you can deal with taking your case or skin off your iphone when you want to dock it in your car, the Tom-tom cradle is far superior...and cheaper!
  • Quick update: the case I ended up getting was the Otterbox Commuter TL. The other case did not work out well.

The Commuter fits fine. I do have some charging issues as others have noted. Quality wise, the Magellan has and continues to work well, with the exception of the charging issue. BT on, 3G on, bright display, iPod on and navigation on. The issue appears to be more heat related due to the hot GPS chip than anything else.
  • The Magellan has a 1 year warranty, correct?

I am just past a year. My mount cracked by the AUX jack and volume on the other side. Not sure if it flexed when cold in the mornings and cracked due to extreme cold. Now the AUX works intermittently.
  • So I was reading this post going back to 2010 talking about how it was going to be available at Best Buy around Feb of 2011... now it's Nov 2011, so it should be available in various stores now right?

Also, much of the talk on this forum was about kits for iPhone 3 and I have an iPhone 4s. Do these premium kits work well for the iPhone 4 sizing?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Ok well I ordered the new Magellan Premium for my iphone 4s and I hope it gets here soon! I'll report my experience with it here. I am a HEAVY phone user and love the idea of the hands free with a good speaker and having directions simultaneously. I always thought it was lame that my GPS would stop working while I was on a call especially considering that I'm on the phone A LOT!