This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Roadmate 1475T won't speak street names

HoosierInFL 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
My 1475T won't speak street names. When on a route, it will say to turn right, and a sound will chime, but it never says the name. Also, when I start a route, it doesn't tell me which direction to start driving it. I just have to "know."

I tried the software update that I downloaded straight from the 1475T page but it says it is not compatible during the install.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Well, looks like I will be returning a second GPS in as many weeks. I went out for another test. I started a route and it still didn't say street names. I took a U-turn and it never recalculated the route. It just kept showing that I was getting further and further away from my next turn. No matter how many streets I turned onto, it still showed the street I turned away from as the next turn.
  • I have tried 3 Magellan 1475T none will speak street names. These were purchased from Costco in Plano, TX. I contacted Magellan they suggested updating the software which I did on one of the units...but still would not speak the street name. Will be returning the 3rd one tomorrow. I like this GPS for the money $149.00 with the 30.00 instant rebate from Costco.....but driving me nuts why it will not speak he street names but everything else works fine.
  • Me too.

I have a feeling they have a big problem on their hands.

Remember, these are the ver. 2 1475T's with integrated traffic receiver, 3 way power switch, and ver. 37 detailed maps.

The 1475's with the traffic link and 2 way slide power switch are fine. I have both.

bob
  • I contacted Magellan this morning. First they have heard of it!

bob
  • I contacted Magellan this morning. First they have heard of it!

bob
    Hello Bob,HoosierInFL and kpickett

I'm a beta tester for Magellan and would love to identify the cause of your issue.

Any chance you guys can PM me and I probably can help you with your concerns.

Thanks

PND4ME
  • Pm sent!

bob
  • achen 0 Points
    edited November 2009
    PND4ME,

please add me into the list, I'm on the same boat. Bought mine at Costco with old software which worked fine as of speaking street name, but this function disppeared after I upgrade software to 2.5 (release 3.)

I will PM u right now.
  • PND4ME,

please add me into the list, I'm on the Sam boat. Bought mine at Costco with old software which works fine as of speaking street name, but this function disppeared after upgrading to 2.5 release 3.

I will PM u right now.
    Hi

Do you have the internal traffic module or external traffic link with your 1470 RoadMate?
  • achen 0 Points
    Looks like internal because there is no additional "box" on the power cord. I might be wrong because the cigarette plug looks unnessasary large, it might be hidden there.

If u could tell me how to find the answer from the device, I can do it. Thanks.
  • Looks like internal because there is no additional "box" on the power cord. I might be wrong because the cigarette plug looks unnessasary large, it might be hidden there.

Is the power switch 2 way or 3 way w/ reset?

bob
  • Looks like internal because there is no additional "box" on the power cord. I might be wrong because the cigarette plug looks unnessasary large, it might be hidden there.

If you have an external traffic link you will have a silver rectangular box about half the size of a match box in the middle of your DC car charger. That is the traffic receiver.

Also, If you have a reset option on top of your unit that allows you to reset the unit by moving the switch to the right position, that would be the new hardware for the 1475T
  • achen 0 Points
    Then I am sure it is internal traffic module and it is the new hardware.
  • Then I am sure it is internal traffic module and it is the new hardware.
    With the internal traffic receiver does it require the cord at all to get traffic reception, maybe to act as an antenna?

Any other differences you can spot between the two types of 1475T? performance (speed, reception) or functional (software difference)?

With the internal traffic receiver does it require the cord at all to get traffic reception, maybe to act as an antenna?

Any other differences you can spot between the two types of 1475T? performance (speed, reception) or functional (software difference)?
    There are differences besides the internal traffic receiver and the power on off reset switch but I can't comment on them due to NDA.

There are differences besides the internal traffic receiver and the power on off reset switch but I can't comment on them due to NDA.

I ran both versions side by side today and screen on the new model is way dimmer than the first version ... Can't even see it in sunlight with my sunglasses. Both are set to full brightness. Very disappointing. I'll keep the traffic link version because of this!

bob
  • looks like version 1 and 2 use different traffic services. Ran both all day today and sometimes they would both report the same incident but never reported all or no incidents the same!

bob
  • Thanks to everyone here on the forum input, Magellan have discover the cause of the lost of TTS for the 1475T and are working on a fix.

No need to return your units because you will get a replacement with the same issue, save yourself some time and wait a few days possibly a week or two for the fix to be available.

Thanks again and I was able to verify this issue also personally in a unit I purchased from Costco.

Special thanks to Bob

PND4ME
    and NO, I don't work or get pay by Magellan.
  • Thanks for the update.

I'm assuming that it's software?

thx

bob
    Thanks to everyone here on the forum input, Magellan have discover the cause of the lost of TTS for the 1475T and are working on a fix.

No need to return your units because you will get a replacement with the same issue, save yourself some time and wait a few days possibly a week or two for the fix to be available.

Thanks again and I was able to verify this issue also personally in a unit I purchased from Costco.

Special thanks to Bob

PND4ME
  • Thanks for the update.

I'm assuming that it's software?

thx

bob
    Thanks to everyone here on the forum input, Magellan have discover the cause of the lost of TTS for the 1475T and are working on a fix.

Special thanks to Bob

PND4ME
    Bob, I would figure they would post a fix ASAP for this concern, and for the rest of the people that didn't notice this issue, they won't miss it I guess. The price is such a bargin that it's a great unit with or without TTS right?

Thanks again Bob
  • Just got my 2nd 1475t from Costco, it is the newer model with the 3 position switch and integrated traffic receiver. I uploaded the current 2.05 release 3.

It does NOT have the TTS problem, it reads the street names just fine, they even seem to be the same volume as the other directions (the 1st unit was different). The unit turns on instantly, there is no wait for it to boot (no Magellan screen), like the first. The screen brightness is the same as the first. The only residual issue I have seen so far is the map positioning seems to be about 25-50ft off, although the turn chime is spot on.
  • Just got my 2nd 1475t from Costco, it is the newer model with the 3 position switch and integrated traffic receiver. I uploaded the current 2.05 release 3.

It does NOT have the TTS problem, it reads the street names just fine, they even seem to be the same volume as the other directions (the 1st unit was different). The unit turns on instantly, there is no wait for it to boot (no Magellan screen), like the first. The screen brightness is the same as the first. The only residual issue I have seen so far is the map positioning seems to be about 25-50ft off, although the turn chime is spot on.

Same Costco as the first?

What city?

bob
  • So overall which seems to be the better unit when running the latest firmware, the older or newer 1475T? Can anyone point out any differences they notice in operation that would make them prefer one over the other?
  • So overall which seems to be the better unit when running the latest firmware, the older or newer 1475T? Can anyone point out any differences they notice in operation that would make them prefer one over the other?
    The 1475T is a better buy with life time traffic, they have the exact same software with a few changes in hardware. You get more for your money with the 1475T.

What city?

bob
    Actually Bob, I got it from costco.com. The first one was from a local Costco here on LI in NY. When I went back, they still had the old stock.

What city?

bob

Actually Bob, I got it from costco.com. The first one was from a local Costco here on LI in NY. When I went back, they still had the old stock.

OK,

Looks like newer stock.

bob

The 1475T is a better buy with life time traffic, they have the exact same software with a few changes in hardware. You get more for your money with the 1475T.
    Hmm, I guess you mean the "newer" 1475T is better than the "older" 1475T? Because those were the two units I was trying to get a comparison for.
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    Just got my 2nd 1475t from Costco, it is the newer model with the 3 position switch and integrated traffic receiver. I uploaded the current 2.05 release 3.

HI Craig when you say newer, a friend recently got a 1475T a month agao from costco and the traffic antenna was built into the car adaptor. Are you saying you can get traffic by just running on battery?

On the unit I noticed that when it was saying the street name it was a different pitch and lower in volume, sounds distorted and faster in pitch. Did they correct this was I told them to return the unit as this is not right.

In Canada along the 401 or 407 highway when it comes up the junction view one highway sign is just green no name or exit info. In the states it was fine.

Maybe if they correct this soon I will recommend they keep it.

HI Craig when you say newer, a friend recently got a 1475T a month agao from costco and the traffic antenna was built into the car adaptor. Are you saying you can get traffic by just running on battery?

On the unit I noticed that when it was saying the street name it was a different pitch and lower in volume, sounds distorted and faster in pitch. Did they correct this was I told them to return the unit as this is not right.

In Canada along the 401 or 407 highway when it comes up the junction view one highway sign is just green no name or exit info. In the states it was fine.

Maybe if they correct this soon I will recommend they keep it.
    I think the problem here is they are selling these at under $150 and it is not as important to most users as long as it is good enough. People demand lower prices and with that you get products that are not perfect.
    Happy Thanksgiving
  • hi guys; I am thinking about buying the 1475T; as you all know it is under 150; do you know if the latest firmware fixed the tts issue or any other critical issues? I understand that for such cheap price I don't expect perfection, but is it overall a good unit for the $$ and does it work good overall? Thanks
  • I just went through this. a new 1475T from costco would not speak street names as advertised. It made a ding-dong sound at a turn. magellan support told me I needed a software upgrade from v 1.05 to v 2.1. the real problem came when I found that the software could only be downloaded with windows XP service pack 2 - not XP sevice pack 3, not vista, not 7, only XP service pack 2. costco gave me another unit from their stock, but they all had the old software. After I had a couple of nasty email exchanges with magellan customer support, they offered to send me an updated unit BEFORE I sent the old one back. My guess is that costco is on them big time for shipping these units that they knew did not speak street names.
  • I just went through this. a new 1475T from costco would not speak street names as advertised. It made a ding-dong sound at a turn. magellan support told me I needed a software upgrade from v 1.05 to v 2.1. the real problem came when I found that the software could only be downloaded with windows XP service pack 2 - not XP sevice pack 3, not vista, not 7, only XP service pack 2. costco gave me another unit from their stock, but they all had the old software. After I had a couple of nasty email exchanges with magellan customer support, they offered to send me an updated unit BEFORE I sent the old one back. My guess is that costco is on them big time for shipping these units that they knew did not speak street names.
    That's baloney.

I've done fine with Vista

bob
  • I bought a 1475T a week ago from Costco...though thrilled with response time, it did not speak street names as expected. I exchanged for a new one, insisted on an unopened, brand new second unit. They first gave me one that had been returned so I do believe this is a persistent problem. Very happy now! Had an ancient Magellan that took almost the entire journey to find a signal that finally died. I don't have the directional gene and captured it for $150! Thanks for a great product but would think it healthier all the way around to concentrate on a much better quality control at the outset.
  • I'm ready to return the 2 1475's.

The vehicle on the map is always 1/2 block behind where I really am. When I have the speedometer selected and come to a stop, the speed winds down slowly, too.

Makes it really hard to follow the navigation when looking at the map.

bob
  • Magellan is now testing the next update for the 1475T to make this produce even better. Stay tune and look for free firmware update on Magellan site.
  • Magellan is now testing the next update for the 1475T to make this produce even better. Stay tune and look for free firmware update on Magellan site.
    Are they addressing the "1/2 block behind" on the map? I hope?

thx

bob

Are they addressing the "1/2 block behind" on the map? I hope?

thx

bob
    Wow, those must be really short blocks! Yes, they are working on it and I'm testing it.
  • They are,

In reality it's bout 4-5 seconds behind at 30-40mph

bob
  • Bob

If you are traveling at 30 MPH and it the icon is delayed by 3 seconds it would mean the icon is about 268 feet or less than 90 yards.

Given that the average car or truck to be about 20 feet long and there is an error margin of 10 meters or 33 feet, so with this number the unit is off by about 70 yards give or take a few yard.

I agree this would be a issue if you are driving in short city blocks but I think this type of reading is not consistent is it? or everybody would be complaining about missing the turn in the city?

When I test drove in San Francisco, I was not finding this issue, but maybe there is other factors that causes these delays.

Thanks
  • Bob

If you are traveling at 30 MPH and it the icon is delayed by 3 seconds it would mean the icon is about 268 feet or less than 90 yards.

Given that the average car or truck to be about 20 feet long and there is an error margin of 10 meters or 33 feet, so with this number the unit is off by about 70 yards give or take a few yard.

I agree this would be a issue if you are driving in short city blocks but I think this type of reading is not consistent is it? or everybody would be complaining about missing the turn in the city?

When I test drove in San Francisco, I was not finding this issue, but maybe there is other factors that causes these delays.

Thanks
    It does it on both of my 1475's; one w/ traffic bult in and the other not.

bob
  • blico 0 Points
    PND4ME - is this with the new FW you are testing?

Next time that you are out and about - would you put your unit into "current location" mode and see what the distance might be to an intersection (stopped at the intersection and your car is first.) Is it a reasonable distance within accepted accuracy range, or is it off 90' feet or so?
  • When I test drove in San Francisco, I was not finding this issue, but maybe there is other factors that causes these delays.

Next time that you are out and about - would you put your unit into "current location" mode and see what the distance might be to an intersection (stopped at the intersection and your car is first.) Is it a reasonable distance within accepted accuracy range, or is it off 90' feet or so?
    I'm not using my vehicle nav for Geocaching and did not find this location feature to be as important to know the exact location.

I will bet it will not be very accurate even after the update and the purpose of a vehicle navigation system is to get you close enough within your view to see the location you are trying to get to. If it is right in front of you, that much the better, if it is a 100 feet away, it is still acceptable.

Remember before selective availability was turn off the average accuracy of a GPS is a 100 meters and 300 feet or more and if it is acceptable all those years when we paid over $3000 for a GPS, why is it not acceptable now when we pay only $150 for a GPS???

If you need to be spot on, the vehicle PND GPS unit is not the right one to use for that. Really!
  • When I test drove in San Francisco, I was not finding this issue, but maybe there is other factors that causes these delays.

I'm not using my vehicle nav for Geocaching and did not find this location feature to be as important to know the exact location.

I will bet it will not be very accurate even after the update and the purpose of a vehicle navigation system is to get you close enough within your view to see the location you are trying to get to. If it is right in front of you, that much the better, if it is a 100 feet away, it is still acceptable.

Remember before selective availability was turn off the average accuracy of a GPS is a 100 meters and 300 feet or more and if it is acceptable all those years when we paid over $3000 for a GPS, why is it not acceptable now when we pay only $150 for a GPS???

If you need to be spot on, the vehicle PND GPS unit is not the right one to use for that. Really!
    Yeah but you need to know what street to turn on to!

bob
  • blico 0 Points

Maybe my point is being missed. The original 1470 that I got with 1.15 or 1.16 was dead on accurate, destinations were to the driveway accurate off of the main road. The last 2 units that were replacements (assuming the HW is the same) were not anywhere near as accurate with 2.05 or 2.20 FW installed. I'm operating under the assumption that the fw somehow made the map locations not line up anymore with actual locations. "Current Location" originally was within 10' of an intersection. I'd certainly like to have the accuracy that I used to have, if not, I can live with it. The main reason for asking about the accuracy is I'm reluctant to do a FW update when available, if the FW does nothing to address this concern. Although still under warranty, I would not want to go through the exercise of sending back another "bricked" unit.
    Thank You

Any updates/\?

bob
  • I just installed the latest 2.22 Rel 2. If definitely did NOT fix the location/lag issue, in fact, it appears to be worse and have more lag.
  • steelgtr 0 Points
    I just installed the latest 2.22 Rel 2. If definitely did NOT fix the location/lag issue, in fact, it appears to be worse and have more lag.
    Bummer,

Just updated. Will check out tomorrow.

bob
  • steelgtr 0 Points
    OMG, you're right! It's even worse !!

Now it really is a good 1/2 block lagging :shock:

bob
  • blico 0 Points
    LOL! - Not at you folks, but at Magellan. How could they have FW that was dead on accurate in the 1470 a year ago, make a change or 2 and make it less accurate? Then try to fix it and make it even more less accurate. No doubt the govt. is somehow involved in this fix!
  • steelgtr 0 Points
    LOL! - Not at you folks, but at Magellan. How could they have FW that was dead on accurate in the 1470 a year ago, make a change or 2 and make it less accurate? Then try to fix it and make it even more less accurate. No doubt the govt. is somehow involved in this fix!
    Can we flash back?

bob