This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First thoughts on 1470 and location error

Bill KunertBill Kunert 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I've spent a few hours on the road with my new 1470 with ver 2.04 software. Using the unit as a map produces no location error. The unit shows my location fore-aft and side to side with no discenable error. Using it to route me to a location is a different story. Location side to side is perfect-shows right where I am on a 4 lane road. There is a noticable lag in fore-aft position. Stopped at a light it shows me not up to the light. This tells me it's got to be a software problem else map mode wouldn't be so dead nuts on. Other than that I'm quite satisfied. I didn't like the auto zoom at turns and turning that off seemed to help the positioning error - probably because it stays zoomed out.

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    I agree that it is a software issue, but disagree with part of the theory. The GPS will always "snap to" the road (left/right as you describe it) regardless if you are on the road, or just close to it. In other words if your calculated position is 15 feet off the side of where it thinks the road is, it will still draw you on the road.
  • I agree that it is a software issue, but disagree with part of the theory. The GPS will always "snap to" the road (left/right as you describe it) regardless if you are on the road, or just close to it. In other words if your calculated position is 15 feet off the side of where it thinks the road is, it will still draw you on the road.
    There are a couple of areas near here where the road is improperly positioned on the map. The pointer does not try to follow the road as shown on the display when it veers off it's actual position.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    That will happen if you get "far enough" from the mapped road, but otherwise if the calculated position is reasonably close to the road it will just snap to the road.
  • blico 0 Points
    That will happen if you get "far enough" from the mapped road, but otherwise if the calculated position is reasonably close to the road it will just snap to the road.
    Here is a scenario where the accuracy error in these units is severe.
    There is a route that I travel quite often, and am in route to a destination mode. The exit that the 1470 wants me to get off the interstate is 2 miles further than the exit I actually exit. The exit ramp runs paralell to the interstate for about a mile and is at least 60 to 70 feet to the side of the interstate. The 1470 doesn't realise that I'm not on the right route until the road I'm on veers off at least 100'. Another - while in DC last fall and traveling on the beltway, I missed an exit to another highway that ran parallel. The pointer on the 1470 kept jumping back and forth between the 2, while telling me to get off at the next exit or stay on the current highway, depending on which road the pointer was on.