This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan RoadMate for iPhone Released

Comments

• OMG the car kit i have been dreaming of is finally coming.
    fully ajustable to any skin or case, gps receiver, speaker, hand free calling, etc.
    It even look more ajustable in the car than the tomtom car kit.

Let's wait for the price and release date. Hopefully very soon.

I was so disapointed the tomtom car kit was not yet on sale in Canada. Finally it was a bad think for a good one.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    From what I understand, the carkit will be $130 and expected to be available mid-December.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The Magellan Car Kit looks to have one distinct advantage over the TomTom Car Kit. The Magellan version is adjustable and looks like it will work with a variety of cases. The TomTom Car Kit is tight and doesn't work without taking the iPhone out of its case, if you use one.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It looks like the Magellan Car Kit has been delayed until January, 2010. Too bad, it looks nice.
  • It looks like the Magellan Car Kit has been delayed until January, 2010. Too bad, it looks nice.
    The iCradle from Magellan is very flexible. The sound quality and volume are much better than the TomTom iPhone GPS mounting solution. The ability to use the Magellan iCradle with a protective skin or cover is a huge advantage since many users will not risk using an iPhone without some sort of protective case.
    The ability to use this Magellan iCradle solution with the iPod Touch and MRM iPhone app also offers iPond Touch users a new GPS option that was not available in the past.
    The iCradle mount feels solid and should be a great addition to any iPhone/iPod touch owners since it includes Blue Tooth capabilities, and has it's own GPS receiver to enhance GPS signal. The unit will charge the iPhone while connected which is also plus.
    If you add up the cost of a DC power supply, a windshield mount, a Blue Tooth device along with the external PS receiver, you will be paying more than the $129 they are asking for.

This should be worth waiting for if you don't already own a TomTom cradle, and if you do, you should compare the two and return the one that does not work for you.
  • It looks like the Magellan Car Kit has been delayed until January, 2010. Too bad, it looks nice.
    I wish they could have released it for Christmas! Oh well....
  • Magellan iPhone version 1.1 will soon be release with bunch of very nice features added to the iPhone.
    I been using the iPhone as my sole PND to see how well it functions and from what I experienced, the Magellan iPhone app does a very good job as a navigation device.
    You will love all the new features they will offer soon.
  • I find this magellan navigation software not as usable as Navigon and Tomtom which are my favorites.
    1 - It is too memory consuming on my iphone, just as iGo MyWay or Sygic (I track the memory usage off each application on my iphone and man magellan is just taking it all).
    2 - Its usage is not as intuitive or easy as the Tomtom and Navigon

Many the updates will improve it, but right now for me it doesn't get near to Tomtom and Navigon.
  • I find this magellan navigation software not as usable as Navigon and Tomtom which are my favorites.
    1 - It is too memory consuming on my iphone, just as iGo MyWay or Sygic (I track the memory usage off each application on my iphone and man magellan is just taking it all).
    2 - Its usage is not as intuitive or easy as the Tomtom and Navigon

Many the updates will improve it, but right now for me it doesn't get near to Tomtom and Navigon.
    Magellan takes a little more than 1.3 GB of memory space for a FULL feature GPS product which includes lane assist, 3D buildings, TTS and more. I have also tested the TomTom and Navigon application and I own both the PND's and iPhone apps for TomTom and Navigon, It is my opionon that the Magellan iPhone app definitely have it's advantages and acts and feel much more like a real PND. You will find as TomTom and Navigon add features such as Text to Speech etc, their memory space requirements will also increase.
    With the Magellan OneTouch feature, the application is very easy to utilize, the U.I is very good and so I would only ask you since you already past judgement on the Magellan iPhone app, have you used the Magellan iPhone app at all before passing this type of judgement for the Magellan iPhone application?
  • I have used the magellan iphone app.
    What i meant by memory was the ram usage once the app is running on my iphone.
    Without the app running or any other app running i have between 150 and 163 MB free on my 3GS. once Tomtom (ver 1.2) is running, it takes about 30 MB while Magellan takes about 120 MB. Navigon (1.3) takes a little bit more ram than Tomtom on my phone. IGo MyWay (1.1) takes about the same amount of RAM as the Magellan. That is just too much specially for someone running more than 2 applications at a time.

Both Tomtom and Navigon have TTS and the Tomtom TTS is just excellent both in English and French (at least the two languages i have tested).

Navigon TTS in french is just too robotic, and sometime it is just preferable not to use it. Hopefully it has improved in the 1.4 version.

Again i will say it : Magellan in my humble opinion is far behind Tomtom or Navigon right now. May be the updates will improve it as it was the case with other GPS apps.
  • I have used the magellan iphone app.
    What i meant by memory was the ram usage once the app is running on my iphone.
    Without the app running or any other app running i have between 150 and 163 MB free on my 3GS. once Tomtom (ver 1.2) is running, it takes about 30 MB while Magellan takes about 120 MB. Navigon (1.3) takes a little bit more ram than Tomtom on my phone. IGo MyWay (1.1) takes about the same amount of RAM as the Magellan. That is just too much specially for someone running more than 2 applications at a time.

Both Tomtom and Navigon have TTS and the Tomtom TTS is just excellent both in English and French (at least the two languages i have tested).

Navigon TTS in french is just too robotic, and sometime it is just preferable not to use it. Hopefully it has improved in the 1.4 version.

Again i will say it : Magellan in my humble opinion is far behind Tomtom or Navigon right now. May be the updates will improve it as it was the case with other GPS apps.
    This forum is wonderful, it allows the different opinion from each member.
    I am a direct reseller for Magellan, TomTom and Garmin, we have also sold Navigon and deal with Nav N Go iGo, so what I can tell you is that for the AVERAGE user, you will never notice ANY difference for memory allocation limitations. You maybe a very unique user that is using every bit of what the iPhone can provide until Apple offer faster processor and more memory. How many navigation application can use at one time, I test with 3 different iPhone's and a NuviFone myself.
    I would recommend for you to use the TomTom app if it is the right one for you, for those who are looking for specific features that are not available on the other applications such as OneTouch, least use of Freeways, a preview of all the routes option before it routes feature, I would recommend the Magellan iPhone app but that's just me.

Good luck...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    A bit more information was released today about the Magellan iPhone carkit, including a Jan. 5th availability date. According to Magellan:

Magellan, one of the leading GPS brands, today announced an innovative new vehicle mount for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and second generation iPod touch. With a built-in GPS receiver for improved navigation accuracy, the Premium Car Kit features an amplified speaker for crystal clear directions and enhanced Bluetooth hands-free calling and clear turn-by-turn directions.

Secure vehicle mounting for iPhone or iPod touch

Accommodates most silicon skins and hard shell cases

Adjustable mount securely rotates iPhone to either portrait or landscape mode for optimal positioning and widescreen route display

Recharges battery via the vehicle power outlet

Amplified speaker with volume control for loud and clear phone calls and directions

Noise canceling microphone for full duplex speakerphone operation

Auxiliary audio output (for connection to your car stereo)

Works with all navigation applications (including the Magellan RoadMate for iPhone application)

Bluetooth enables hands-free calling
    Available now for pre-order, the car kit will retail for $129.99 and will be available at Amazon.com, Best Buy, and MagellanGPS.com.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I didn't see anything new there other than the date on the press release. ;)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    It's new to this thread :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    But there is nothing there that wasn't already released info, right? That's all I'm saying. The info is good to post here, just didn't think any of it was new info.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I don't recall the aux output being confirmed before, tho it could have been. Otherwise I think you're right.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Roadmate for iPhone ver 1.1 features announced.

Compatible with iPod touch 2nd Generation

Improved Speedometer Accuracy

Customizable speed warnings

Click on a POI on the Map for more information. You can route to or call it with iPhone.

Customizable, multi-destination routing

Use the improved music player without leaving the Map screen

Address entry improves routing to contacts in address book and sorts city options by distance

Ability to plan a trip in simulation mode with up to 16X FF, Rewind, Pause and Next

Find My Car now also in OneTouch menu

Overall UI enhancements tailored to the phone navigation environment:
    Larger Back button, larger vehicle indicator, direct Map access button, Tap car icon to save "current location", Improvement on the panning experience

@Tim: I didn't get this at Facebook either :lol:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    They don't seem to tell us when it will be available. (Isn't there right now, but I suspect that means "soon".)
  • The Car Kit is available for Pre-order on the Magellan Website.
  • The Car Kit is available for Pre-order on the Magellan Website.
    I saw it on Amazon as well for preorder.
  • I don't recall the aux output being confirmed before, tho it could have been. Otherwise I think you're right.
    Merry Christmas Gatorguy, to answer your question, yes, the carkit does include an Audio Aux output, charges the iPhone/iPod via USb poweredk larger and loud speaker, Status LED, Volume Control and fits just about all skins and cases. Very nice car kit that puts a lot of other iPhone car kit to shame.
  • I currently use the Navigon app on my 3GS but have been impressed by the reviews of the Magellan app. I'm curious as to how the two compare for the people who have used both. Specifically application launch time, gps acquisition time and ability to hold the gps signal. For me Navigon's app became slower to launch and to obtain a gps signal when the traffic update was released. Nothing terrible but noticeably longer than previously which I had found to be as fast or faster than my TomTom pnd. All that may be due to its attempting to acquire traffic info at the same time it launches and gets a gps signal. It also dropped the gps signal more often which had been rare prior to the traffic update. This has actually improved greatly for me since the last update, I haven't had it drop the signal since then. It's still somewhat slower at launching and gps acquisition though.

So those are the main comparisons I'm interested in. From reviews I've read and videos that I've seen I believe if I needed to select a different navigation app I would select this over the others. The mount that they are releasing also looks terrific and would easily work with my Navigon app if I found I needed a signal boost for the phone. This mount does appear to be superior to what's currently available.
    John
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The Magellan app is slower than the Navigon app to launch (it is frustratingly slow) and is about the same figuring out your position.
  • Thanks Tim, I definitely wouldn't want anything slower although the Navigon really isn't bad and I'm willing to accept it since I know that it's also attempting to get traffic info as well. Also for me in the Baltimore area it tracks me and continues the navigation in the tunnels here since AT&T extended their network to the tunnels. I don't know if the other apps would do this as well but very happy that Navigon does.
    John
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That's interesting. Is it really tracking you in the tunnel, or just estimating your position based on conditions when you entered? Driving up to NYC last week, my Nuvi 1350 appeared to "track" me pretty well going through the Holland Tunnel even though the traffic was slow. I never got an error message about losing signal.

Obviously, the map must be setup to do this for a given amount of time for the Holland Tunnel. When I went through the Queens Midtown tunnel however, it very quickly told me that I had lost the GPS signal.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    The Magellan app is slower than the Navigon app to launch (it is frustratingly slow) and is about the same figuring out your position.
    Tim. I have a 3GS with 32GB memory and I just launched the Magellan iPhone app version 1.10vs the Navigon version 1.4.0 and they booth took 13 seconds to launch
    when I tried again Navigon took 18 seconds to launch the app
    how many times have you timed the app launch for you to determine the Magellan app launches slower than the Navigon app? How much slower was your test and using which model iPhone or iPod touch? I think all these factors should be taken into consideration when compairing the two apps
  • The Magellan app is slower than the Navigon app to launch (it is frustratingly slow) and is about the same figuring out your position.

Tim. I have a 3GS with 32GB memory and I just launched the Magellan iPhone app version 1.10vs the Navigon version 1.4.0 and they booth took 13 seconds to launch
    when I tried again Navigon took 18 seconds to launch the app
    how many times have you timed the app launch for you to determine the Magellan app launches slower than the Navigon app? How much slower was your test and using which model iPhone or iPod touch? I think all these factors should be taken into consideration when compairing the two apps
    I have a 3GS, 32Go, 3.1.2 firmware.
    Magellan 1.1 and Navigon 1.4 take about the same time to lunch.
    Again, the magellan takes about 100 Mb from my free ram while Navigon takes about 30 Mb.
    On using the two apps here in canada, Navigon is increadibly precise, Nice TTS. The reality view feature pups up on all intersections which makes the navigon really easy. Two compalins however no speed limit data in canada and small street names on the map.

Magellan in my area is let's precise. The magellan car kit will probably improve this point. The street names on the map are more readable. Instead of using the push notifications, i just run my instant messaging apps or my radio apps in the background and for this reason, the fact the magellan eats all my ram doesn't help.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    [how many times have you timed the app launch for you to determine the Magellan app launches slower than the Navigon app?
    Several dozen times with each app on an iPod Touch, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. I've spent probably a couple of hours testing. Each device had about half of the internal memory free (which really shouldn't matter) and was rebooted before launch to ensure no memory leaks.

I just performed the test a couple of times again with the RoadMate app on the iPhone 3G. Each launch took between 65 and 85 seconds. I'm counting from the time I touch the app icon to the time when I can "do anything" in the app. I'm not waiting for satellite acquisition.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    [how many times have you timed the app launch for you to determine the Magellan app launches slower than the Navigon app?

Several dozen times with each app on an iPod Touch, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. I've spent probably a couple of hours testing. Each device had about half of the internal memory free (which really shouldn't matter) and was rebooted before launch to ensure no memory leaks.

I just performed the test a couple of times again with the RoadMate app on the iPhone 3G. Each launch took between 65 and 85 seconds. I'm counting from the time I touch the app icon to the time when I can "do anything" in the app. I'm not waiting for satellite acquisition.
    Tim. I'm at Vegas attending the CES event and I just tried again launching the Magellan iPhone app and it took 13 seconds from time I launch the Magellan app to the time um able to select menu or OneTouch

which version are you testing and is it a the apple itune app you down loaded or one Magellan sent you?

It's hard to think our test results could be so different
    my

The version I'm testing now is the released version purchased from iTune store which is v 1.10

what else can causes these different test results?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    which version are you testing and is it a the apple itune app you down loaded
    1.1, downloaded from iTunes.
  • Our Car Kit is uber awesomeness. :D
  • [how many times have you timed the app launch for you to determine the Magellan app launches slower than the Navigon app?

From my own test, iPhone 3GS should load the app within 8-13 seconds.

For the 3G, we have documented that it would roughly take about 50 or so seconds to load.

65-85 seconds is not normal. Tim, are the devices you are testing jailbreaked in anyway? I am wondering if there is a underlying reason to why your devices are much slower to the ones tested here.

Thanks!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    For the 3G, we have documented that it would roughly take about 50 or so seconds to load.

65-85 seconds is not normal. Tim, are the devices you are testing jailbreaked in anyway?
    No, it hasn't been jailbroken. Stock iPhone 3G. Although 50 seconds to 65 seconds isn't a terribly big difference.
  • PND4ME 0 Points

65-85 seconds is not normal. Tim, are the devices you are testing jailbreaked in anyway?

No, it hasn't been jailbroken. Stock iPhone 3G. Although 50 seconds to 65 seconds isn't a terribly big difference.
    Tim
    what I was trying to say is that it took the same amount of time to load the Navigon vs Magellan iPhone apps about 13 seconds. My fastest time which I send you a video on was 8 seconds which is pleanty fast and should not be an issue to any user.
    Thanks
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Sure... the question now is why are my results so much different. On my iPhone 3G the TomTom app opens in 16 seconds, the Navigon app in 35, and the Magellan app in 65.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have a 3GS and both the Navigon and Magellan app take about 13 seconds also.
  • That's interesting. Is it really tracking you in the tunnel, or just estimating your position based on conditions when you entered? Driving up to NYC last week, my Nuvi 1350 appeared to "track" me pretty well going through the Holland Tunnel even though the traffic was slow. I never got an error message about losing signal.

Obviously, the map must be setup to do this for a given amount of time for the Holland Tunnel. When I went through the Queens Midtown tunnel however, it very quickly told me that I had lost the GPS signal.
    I think the thread has moved away from this, but my experience in the tunnels does not seem any different from outside the tunnels - same smooth tracking, no red bar. My phone also shows a full 3G signal as well so that may be the reason. Whatever the reason it's left me very pleased with this app.

The launch time changed noticeably with the traffic update so that made me curious about the other apps. But again if it's because of the acquisition of traffic info I'll not complain. I do it set to upload my personal traffic/speed info; I wonder if disabling that setting would change the delays any.
    John
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Magellan RoadMate iPhone app version 1.2 just came out... improved speedometer accuracy and "other minor bug fixes" were listed in the release notes.
  • Magellan RoadMate iPhone app version 1.2 just came out... improved speedometer accuracy and "other minor bug fixes" were listed in the release notes.
    Tim, I been testing this new released firmware but how is a normal person suppose to down load this new version 1.2 update? Not from iTune I don't think and there was no notice about anything about an update?

Strange?

Let me know what you think about it, I personall have my opinion but not ready to share with anyone yet.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The update is in iTunes.
  • When I check for application updates, it did show Magellan as having an update ready for download. I downloaded it last night while I slept! Another big download.

FYI - The Inrix traffic app also has an update.
  • When there is an update are you pretty much downloading the whole app again but with the new updates? The new update was 1.36 GB.
  • When you update the app it basically reinstalls the app over itself. Making it a 1.36 GB download. It is not 1.36 GB on top of another 1.36GB. That would just be "crazy"! :o

I have also noticed that the app usually takes longer to download when there is heavy data traffic.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The Wall Street Journal just reviewed the Magellan app:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703787304575075772925558144.html
    Typing in the address of my destination of choice on my iPhone's touchscreen was easy, and before I started driving, the RoadMate app mapped out my projected trip by distance and even gave me my estimated time of arrival. I liked the fact that I could immediately tap on symbols of other spots in the vicinity and the restaurant or store's name, address, and phone number would pop right up. I also liked the simple organization of the app's main menu, which Magellan calls OneTouch, and which had simple icons that made it easy to navigate between points of interest, previous destinations, and contacts.
    However, Dave was inconsistent. Sometimes, he allowed me lots of advance notice before a particular turn, and even gave me multiple steps at once in a few instances. But at other times, he was the strong silent type—he offered no assistance as I squinted at my iPhone screen and noted that the mapped route had called for a turn, only for him to pipe up and tell me about said turn a few seconds after I had already made it
    So, was it worth it? I loved the 3D mapping technology and easy navigation of the Magellan RoadMate app, as well as the car kit's power adapter that kept my iPhone charged while I drove, thus eliminating the perpetual battery drain issue. But I found the price of $130 plus $80 for the app to be a little steep, especially compared to the slightly cheaper TomTom car kit and app.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    And the video version is here: http://tinyurl.com/ygn3fha
    And she chooses... drum roll... free Google.

Missed your smiling posts the last couple days Boyd :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks Gator... every now and then I have to spend a few minutes at my real job, which is managing all the backstage/technical operations at the Opera Company of Philadelphia. :D

We just opened a very interesting new Opera last night, "Tea: A Mirror of Soul". Has been fascinating working with Tan Dun, the composer and conductor (whose work includes the soundtrack for the movie "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"). Really nice, incredibly talented guy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/operaphila#p/u/2/-m2TizGwOp8
  • And the video version is here: http://tinyurl.com/ygn3fha
    And she chooses... drum roll... free Google.

Missed your smiling posts the last couple days Boyd :lol:
    I can't wait till Magellan releases the iPhone Magellan app version 2.0, it will address some of these issues mentiioned and also add some nice new features!
  • I am disappointed with the review. It would of been alot better if she had a more positive experience with our app. I also think she did not really appreciate the functionality of the car kit.

Yes, look forward to 2.0 because we are going to have a array of surprises; but stay tuned for our 1.3 ver. update which should be up early March. 1.3 is going to put some more refinement into our app.
  • Doug 0 Points
    I am disappointed with the review. It would of been alot better if she had a more positive experience with our app. I also think she did not really appreciate the functionality of the car kit.

Yes, look forward to 2.0 because we are going to have a array of surprises; but stay tuned for our 1.3 ver. update which should be up early March. 1.3 is going to put some more refinement into our app.
    Question for Maggie: my company is changing to iPhones for the field sales force and I've been revewing info on the various brands of phone GPS apps. Since I've been a Magellan user for many years I have familiarity with the format and it sounds like it's similar to the 4700 UI, One Touch and other features. I look forward to being able to use the access to the iPhone contacts to route to addresses and such however, I'm concerned Magellan is lagging behnd on the live traffic feature and some form of Google-type POI search that TomTom has on theirs now.

The question I have is: if I get the Magellan iPhone app now do you anticipate adding the live traffic and POI search features of the competition later? If you do, will that be a free firmware/software upgrade or should I wait until 2.0 is the standard version Magellan offers?