This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

map update 2011.10 is out

New update is out 2011.10.

2.17GB download

Comments

• arrow201 81 Points
    Awsome ! My 60 day for the free one time update since activation ends
    this Monday (Apr.26 according to the "MyGarmin") so patience may have
    paid off. My unit, 1390T has 2010.10 on it, i hope it has enough space
    for the update !
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I think I may wait to update my 1690 because I am very interested in the 3700 series. I had lifetime map subscription with the 1690 but had it exchanged because of the screen flicker problem some had. They said they couldn't transfer the lifetime map updates because of the Ciao! thing, so they sent me a new map update card instead which I haven't activated yet. Maybe I will wait til I decide if I will get one of the new Nuvi's or not.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    New update is out 2011.10.

2.17GB download
    Hi guys!

Two days ago I bought a Garmin 255W.

My current map version is: CN North America NT 2010.10
    My software version is 6.10.
    My audio version is 1.10.
    My GPS SW version is 4.10b.

Do you mind answering a few related questions?

1.) How often are new map updates released by Garmin? In other words, can I "cash in" my one-time free map update on the newly released map mentioned above (ver. 2011.10) without any concerns that another map update will be released within the next 58 days? (Or, should I wait two months?)

2.) Is there any chance that I'll need to buy a memory card to accommodate the 2011.10 map update?

3.) What about firmware? Do I only qualify for one free firmware update within the next 2 months as well?

Sorry if these are stupid questions...

Thanks!
  • I think Garmin has quarterly updates for maps. 2011.10 just came out so you can install it without worrying about a newer one anytime soon.

You can download to your computer or purchase if you want. I don't really see a need if you have adequate download speeds.

Firmware/software updates are free for life I believe
  • MyGarmin also shows a new 2011.10 European map set too, but it's a corrupt file. Many people noting the error that the download "is not a valid Win32 application". I thought it odd that both the NA and EU maps were released at exactly the same minute, and the files are exactly the same size.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    I think Garmin has quarterly updates for maps. 2011.10 just came out so you can install it without worrying about a newer one anytime soon.

You can download to your computer or purchase if you want. I don't really see a need if you have adequate download speeds.

Thanks, Tim! That's very helpful.

Yes, I have a high-speed Internet connection.

Can I assume that I will not need to buy a memory card for my Garmin 255W to handle the recent 2011.10 NA map update?

When is a memory card required?
  • dhlizard 0 Points
    I think Garmin has quarterly updates for maps. 2011.10 just came out so you can install it without worrying about a newer one anytime soon.

Can I assume that I will not need to buy a memory card for my Garmin 255W to handle the recent 2011.10 NA map update?

To add additional map(s)
  • I think Garmin has quarterly updates for maps. 2011.10 just came out so you can install it without worrying about a newer one anytime soon.

To add additional map(s)
    The new map replaces the old one on the unit. You will have the new map saved on your computer if you need it again. If you want to save the map that is currently on your unit you need to back it up to your computer.
  • dhlizard 0 Points
    I updated both my 765T and255WT maps last night. Now both units are running slower than "turtle" speed. Anyone else seeing this ? :?:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    No problems here with a 765. Maybe try a hard reset?
  • caryrae 92 Points

3.) What about firmware? Do I only qualify for one free firmware update within the next 2 months as well?

Sorry if these are stupid questions...

Thanks!
    There is no charge for firmware/software updates that I have ever heard of.
  • best4u 0 Points
    No problem with a 1350 either. POI seem to really be improved at least in my region of the country.
  • ocsapest 0 Points
    edited April 2010
    The good news is that the 2011.10 European map update is available and it downloads (2.17GB) in about one hour. The bad news, it failed to launch. I downloaded it three times, but no luck. Explanation I got when I tried to launch it from Explorer: “Only part of a ReadProcess Memory or WriteProcess Memory request was completed”. I was a corrupt file. On the forth try, it worked. The file is 3.67GB
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    MyGarmin shows this update as available for my 765T but not my 855.

Anyone with 8x5 seeing this update as available?

Aloke
  • hgratt 0 Points
    MyGarmin shows this update as available for my 765T but not my 855.

Anyone with 8x5 seeing this update as available?

Aloke
    I have the same issue with my 855 - see my thread below:

"Problem Seeing New Map Update 2011.10"
  • alanb 555 Points
    Aloke, This problem with 2011.10 on the 8xx has been noted here and at POI Factory. It appears to be a problem at Garmin and seems to affect only some users. In my case I was able to update both my 855 and 755T to 2011.10. Hopefully Garmin will get this fixed soon.
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Is this a problem with the map not working correctly on the 8xx? or just a glitch in the ordering process for 8xx owners?

Looks like Garmin has intentionally disabled this update availability for 8xx users.

That is a good thing. I can wait a few days to avoid any troubles (in the download, install or use of this map version with my 855).
  • alanb 555 Points
    My guess is that it is a problem on the MyGarmin web site in authorizing the downloads. It installed without problems on my 855 and so far I have not seen any problems with it. I have not used my 855 much since I updated, so maybe I am in for some unpleasant surprises before this is over.
  • AV8TOR 0 Points
    First time doing the upgrade on my first mac and to my pleasure it's going smoother than my old PC. Did not have that click on the file after the download manager was finished only to wonder "is it doing anything" and God forbid you click it twice.

Speaking of new maps has anyone ever reported a road that actually got changed in a map. I live outside Fort Worth and the is an outerbelt that goes around Fort Worth and I have reported this twice and have had three map updates with no change. It says take exit 52C and there is no 52 C, only 52 A and 52 B.
  • sviking 141 Points
    What's so special about the 8XX maps? Aren't they the same as all the others? Funny how they can't get it to work on a pretty new Nuvi line yet I had ZERO problems installing it on a 4 year old 660 and 5 year old Street Pilot 2720, both LONG since discontinued. :roll:
  • Garmania 0 Points
    The new map replaces the old one on the unit. You will have the new map saved on your computer if you need it again. If you want to save the map that is currently on your unit you need to back it up to your computer.
    Hey Tim!

I apologize for the barrage of rudimentary questions which I'm sending your way, but...

1.) Does the new map update automatically get saved onto my computer's hard drive from the Garmin website - rather than directly onto the GPS unit's internal memory? Or, is this an 'option' which I have to deliberately select during the update process?

2.) If I need the new map update at some point in the future, will Garmin not allow me to download the same map update version a second time?

Thanks!
  • SergZak 340 Points
    1) The map file is saved on your PC's hard drive. After the download is complete, you run the .exe file which then decompresses and proceeds to build, then install the maps to your unit. The maps are never sent directly to the GPS from Garmin's servers.

2) Garmin allows you a 15-day download period. After this time has expired, you'll no longer be able to download the file again. It's smart to simply archive the file after it has downloaded in case you need it again.
  • Do you guys also see the description of the 2011.10 maps at myGarmin as:

nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® North America NT 2011

instead of the usual naming convention of:

City Navigator North America NT 2010.40, US & Canada - 3DB+JV, Jan 10

"Onetime"? and no mention of 3D views and Junction View? Sounds a little strange...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Yes, I see the same in regards to the map description on myGarmin. It's Onetime in one place, Lifetime in another.

My 25-digit unlock codes for my past maps are also no longer being displayed. Others are reporting that theirs are in fact being displayed as in the past but not on my end.
  • I hadn't noticed that, but I concur, there are no unlock codes shown here either. I see the "download again" date for the Europe maps is 2 weeks beyond the date for the North America maps for me. (May 21 vs. May 6). I'm tempted to try another download, but I see no evidence that the Europe map situation has been addressed. Actually, to my knowledge, Garmin has never released both simultaneously in the past...

Bob
  • Garmania 0 Points
    1) The map file is saved on your PC's hard drive. After the download is complete, you run the .exe file which then decompresses and proceeds to build, then install the maps to your unit. The maps are never sent directly to the GPS from Garmin's servers.

2) Garmin allows you a 15-day download period. After this time has expired, you'll no longer be able to download the file again. It's smart to simply archive the file after it has downloaded in case you need it again.
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

Admittedly, I'm a bit confused by all the lingo which people are tossing around on the forum about the new NA map update (version 2011.10).

Are there technical problems with this map update? Should I wait awhile? Or, can I safely download and install it on my Garmin nüvi 255W at this time? (I haven't yet used my onetime, 60-day, free map update.)

Cheers!
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Are there technical problems with this map update? Should I wait awhile?
    The only problems reported are with the nuvi 8x0/8x5 series. Something on Garmin's end that they are trying to resolve. I would say go ahead and update. I had no issue updating my 765 and I've heard of no issues with the 2x5 series.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    Are there technical problems with this map update? Should I wait awhile?

The only problems reported are with the nuvi 8x0/8x5 series. Something on Garmin's end that they are trying to resolve.
    I would say go ahead and update. I had no issue updating my 765 and I've heard of no issues with the 2x5 series.
    Thanks! :D
  • totte1 0 Points

Speaking of new maps has anyone ever reported a road that actually got changed in a map. I live outside Fort Worth and the is an outerbelt that goes around Fort Worth and I have reported this twice and have had three map updates with no change. It says take exit 52C and there is no 52 C, only 52 A and 52 B.
    Yes I have 8) I must have reported something like 15 different road issues by now and once I have seen a change in a following map (when I reported a new motorway to be misplaced). I was probably not the first one to report this but you never know of course as every feedback from Navteq is always something like "thank you but we already corrected it..." even if it has taken them 4-5 months to reply and it was obviously wrong also in their online version at the time of reporting :roll:
  • arrow201 81 Points
    i'm finally seeing junction views with 2011.10 :) ...never saw any in
    my area (Toronto) with the previous map (i updated from 2010.10)
  • Must be some new ones since they've been there all along for some interchanges on the 401/427/407.