This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nüvi Firmware Updates?

Two questions...

1.) Is it always advisable to download the latest firmware update for Garmin nüvi devices? If so, what's the advantage of doing so? (Some discussion threads seem to discuss how to revert to previous versions of firmware.)

2.) Does it matter whether or not I download and install the map update before, or after, the most recent firmware update is installed?

Thanks!

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    No, it's not necessary to use the latest firmware. If you don't have any issues with the current operation/use, no real reason to "fix what ain't broke"? Sometimes the application updates add new features and not just fixes, so it always pays to be aware of them. But the maps as a rule will work just fine on any of the software versions meant for your Garmin device tho some new features of those maps have occasionally needed the latest software.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    It should also be noted that updating maps will automatically force-update the unit's firmware to the "lastest & greatest" firmware version. This is not always the best thing since the newest firmware version may have bugs/issues which are worse than the previous version. There are ways around the forced-update or the easiest being backdating the firmware after the update is applied to the unit.
  • Boyd 1998 Points
    Personally I would suggest that you think twice before updating firmware. I never want to be the first kid on the block with new firmware myself. Unless you are trying to address a specific problem, it's better to wait. Read reports from other users here at GPSReview before jumping on a new update.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    It should also be noted that updating maps will automatically force-update the unit's firmware to the "lastest & greatest" firmware version. This is not always the best thing since the newest firmware version may have bugs/issues which are worse than the previous version. There are ways around the forced-update or the easiest being backdating the firmware after the update is applied to the unit.
    This weekend I'll be borrowing a friend's USB cable to download and install the (60-day, onetime, free) NA map update (version 2011.10) for my recently purchased Garmin 255W. The device currently has CN North America NT 2010.10 maps preloaded.

My understanding is that I should use the following procedure to do so:

http://www8.garmin.com/documents/instructions/MapDownloadsUnit_Instructions.pdf

So, you're saying that the firmware will automatically update along with the maps when I use this procedure. In other words, there risks involved when updating the maps?

Thanks for your patience with my ineptitude!