This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuMaps Lifetime North America 2011.30 released 11/11/2010

Comments

• I am curious of the advantage of pre-extracting the map update (using WinRAR) vs. clicking on the exe file and letting it extract, is it faster? I always hate the 1 or 2 minute period where it seems like it is doing nothing.
    It is helpful to extract first if you are short on space on the C: drive, where Garmin extracts the files and installs the maps.

It also saves time if you are installing the maps to multiple Nuvi (each having its own map license).
  • AV8TOR 0 Points
    No Vista, still on XP until work changes over and plenty of hard drive space on my PC. Thanks
  • The new Mapsource+map starts showing POI's at 500 ft resolution.
    Sure thats not 0.5 miles? My MapSource shows POI's @ .5 set to 'Highest', and the 855 @ .3.. w/ the 2010.3 maps and unit set to show 'More' detail.
  • Ric01 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    Hope you all don't mind if I insert a cross reference of this thread to a new thread recently started by mike42dk... for those users with units that wanted to update both NA maps and European maps, the forum indicated that it seems the latest European map 2010.30 may wipe out lane assist/junction view.

mike42dk had suggested a solution but later advised that it will not work for everybody. alanb had also provided a reassuring input to this issue
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17594/x/p1/

PPP Power from UK discussed in the following forum that his junction view stopped working after the map upgrade.
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17626/x/p1/
  • How can one go to a previous map? I'm getting wrong street names on this new map. Not impressed with garmin at all... :roll:
  • Just activated my NuMaps Lifetime card a few days ago but I think I will hold off on the 2010.40 update and see if anyone else is having issues with the new update. No problems with ver 2010.30 so far.
  • NuMaps 2010.40 loaded fine here. It would seem Garmin got the maps release process a little more refined since the first NuMaps fiasco last year.
  • NSSGuy 0 Points
    Just activated my NuMaps Lifetime card a few days ago but I think I will hold off on the 2010.40 update and see if anyone else is having issues with the new update. No problems with ver 2010.30 so far.
    I've been using 2010.40 since Friday (Jan 22) on my Nuvi 855. It was my free update within 60 days of purchase and the whole process was smooth. I've got 10Mb/s download with comcast and it was still a lengthy process, but without difficulty. We hit the road on Sunday and it has worked like a champ.

I gotta say this forum has been a goldmine for me. Thanks to the admins, especially Tim, and the rest of the community for making it work!
  • Just activated my NuMaps Lifetime card a few days ago but I think I will hold off on the 2010.40 update and see if anyone else is having issues with the new update. No problems with ver 2010.30 so far.

I've been using 2010.40 since Friday (Jan 22) on my Nuvi 855. It was my free update within 60 days of purchase and the whole process was smooth. I've got 10Mb/s download with comcast and it was still a lengthy process, but without difficulty. We hit the road on Sunday and it has worked like a champ.

I gotta say this forum has been a goldmine for me. Thanks to the admins, especially Tim, and the rest of the community for making it work!
    Thanks for your input. I agree, this is a great site. Reckon I will install the latest version on my 1350.
  • NSSGuy 0 Points
    After my reply about the seamless 2010.40 update, I got a 7-hour drive without incident on Sunday. Today, I had to restart the unit three times because the screen froze. (On one occasion my wife and I were having a great conversation and drove into Lynchburg, VA instead of taking the bypass because the screen was showing "straight ahead." It turned out to have locked up about 8 miles back!

I don't know that there is any connection to the map update, but I don't know that they are NOT connected, either.

P.S. We've had another 855 since last April and it has not locked up, to my knowledge...
  • Ric01 0 Points

Good to hear that things worked well for you after your map upgrade NSSGuy.. Did your upgrade include European map as well? I heard users raised the issue of the latest European map being the culprit in wiping out junction view/lane assist.

I am still standing down, waiting for the right time to upgrade both my NA and European map until Garmin gets their house in order. thanks
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Not sure how it is for others but driving around the Twin Cities since the last couple updates I have been seeing many more Junction Views on my 1690. Driving to a job this week (about 28 miles) I saw maybe 6 or 7 J.V.'s
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I have seen at least one new updated Lane Assist off-ramp which previously showed only one exit arrow. This has been updated to include all freeway lanes and their respective arrows at that exit.
  • NSSGuy 0 Points
    Ric,

It's just the North America maps. Also note my follow-on post where my 855 locked up three times....
  • while i know it's not isolated to 2010.40, i am finding lane assist to be incredibly thorough ... all highway and many (even most) surface roads ... around Seattle. vry helpful

p.s. JV is sparse
  • navxguy 0 Points
    any word on next map update date?
  • alanb 555 Points
    Garmin doesn't pre-announce updates, so it is anyone's guess. The previous update was Jan. 21. The past year they have released updates on an approximate quarterly schedule.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    That makes sense, but how did SergZak start this thread on Nov 19th and announce that 2010.40 would be available on Jan21st? ... am i missing something?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The same way I'm going to say the next update is coming the day after my birthday. 8)

An educated guess?

Actually the first post and topic were editted in January to reflect the discussion of the latest map.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    generally, i'd agree w/ you ... but i noticed this thread 2 weeks before Jan 21st ... and w/ 1 edit on Jan 21st, SergZak had this info earlier :? ... something else is going on here.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    That makes sense, but how did SergZak start this thread on Nov 19th and announce that 2010.40 would be available on Jan21st?
    He didn't. On Nov 19th he announced 2010.30 was available. Then a couple of months later when 2010.40 came out he changed the post.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    third strike, i'm out :oops: ... i'll pop open a cold one and let it ride. thanks guys
  • Ric01 0 Points
    While trying to update my lifetime numaps for NA 2010.40 and EU 2010.30, I faced the following problem and hope someone can assist....

After launching the .exe file and extracting the map, the black and white window takes me to accepting the agreement etc and then proceed tothe next window to ask me to choose the region but there is NO drop down menu for me to select. I could not proceed as the "NEXT" button is greyed out. The only other button is "Exit" to abandon the update. I faced the same problem for both NA and EU maps. I've downloaded both maps sitting in my PC but could not get to install to my 775T. My 775T was all the while connected to my PC.

This is my first lifetime numap update which I subscribed from Garmin on-line store in Dec 2009 for $150 for both NA and EU maps. I did activate using my 775T serial number etc. What other steps have I missed?

Anyone who had faced the same issue and would care to share how you resolve this problem. Thanks in advance for your time
  • crpthird 80 Points
    I own 3 nuvi 255w units. I downloaded the 210.04 update and installed it on two of them. Just gave the third unit to a family member for a gift. I had the set up file (2.06GB) saved on a back up hard drive. Copied it to the family members computer and ran it. Now it is corrupt at 60% extraction. Went through all the usual steps to no avail. Redownloaded the file. Not corrupt.

Now it runs and I get the license screen. Click accept. Go to install screen and accept default install for maps to computer and GPS. Set up then encounters an error and has to shut down. This has occurred 2x. Windows XP with SP3. AV off, firewall off, power management set to always on and screensaver disabled. Temp internet and temp files cleared before download.

Anyone else experienceing a setup.exe failure after download and have any tips to get past it? I have not yet called customer support.

Thanks
  • ocsapest 0 Points
    I run into the same problem with the NA update, but had no problem with the europian map. Tried to download NT 2010.40 again, but now it was not offered to me.
    Finally the problem was resolved with the help of Garmin technical support when I called them (45minutes wait) by re-offering the download. It seems the problem was caused either by insufficient space initially when I tried to install on my laptop, or by the fact, that I downloaded to an external hard drive.
  • joydriver 0 Points
    edited April 2010
    So I see myTmouse has had the same problems I'm now having with getting my free 60 day update. I've downloaded the map successfully on to my desktop computer 2 times, and 1 time on my new windows7 laptop, but either during the extraction or during the next step, I get an error saying I have a corrupt file.

I have contacted garmin support and so far all they have suggested is redownloading. I've emailed them again this evening and see what they will say tomorrow.

Has anyone had success getting the map to download and install onto the garmin when it starts with a corrupt file? Or have you had to get a DVD only.

See my post "after update of map and software, mapping disappears" for my summary.

edit april 13th: redownloaded the map from work, took 2 tries, but now it works fine.
  • tvman44 0 Points
    Down loaded using XP SP3 and Firefox 3.6.3.
    Smooth sailing.
  • Shirke 0 Points
    I bought new 755T and my map Expires on June 7, 2010.should I download now or I should wait for next map update 2011.10
  • alanb 555 Points
    Since 2011.10 is expected soon, I would wait.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    New map update is out. 2011.10
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Thanks for the heads-up :!: I'm pulling it down now... :D
  • Ozme52 0 Points
    I guess I should have waited. Today is day 60 since activating my new unit...

nah. :lol:
  • navxguy 0 Points
    nice ... thx Garmin, day 49 on one of my units
  • Always amusing the latest update is labelled as 2011 when most of the data is at least 2 years old.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    New 2011.10 3D Buildings file released. See:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/18745/x/p1/
  • hags1960 0 Points
    I was using my nuvi 755t and noticed that was an update for the new maps for 2011. 10 i got it for christmas so all my updates r not for free so would i have to pay to get this map update.
  • Jake 0 Points
    I installed the 2011 map after contacting Garmin to see if it was applicable to the Nuvi 350. The answer was yes.
    After installing the map, I notice that many of the often visited sites are NO LONGER available in the search or the map.
    I don't like that much.
    Is it possible to install this map into a larger SD card to find those needed areas back. I do have a SD card in the Nuvi 350, but to no avail.
    We drove into Arizona on a vacation and one city had zero food outlets available.
    I did not like that much either.

HELP?

Jake
  • I was using my nuvi 755t and noticed that was an update for the new maps for 2011. 10 i got it for christmas so all my updates r not for free so would i have to pay to get this map update.
    If you have been using your 755T for more than 60 days (since first satellite acquisition) and you have not paid for any updates (either one-time, or lifetime) then unfortunately you would have to pay for this one.
    The one-time free update is only good for 60 days from first satellite lock.

Still, for the price of the lifetime updates, and given that your unit is new (to you), it's a good deal. You get an average of 1 new map per quarter.
  • sandyp 0 Points
    Download was much quicker with the new iMac. It did take a lot of times before the 765 unit was recognized, but after it was, all went smoothly. Will take a ride and see if anything new pops up!
  • Garmania 0 Points
    This weekend I plan to download this map update (ver. 2011.10) onto my recently purchased (last week) Garmin 255W.

This is the first GPS device which I've owned. Currently my 255W has ver. 2010.10 North America maps preloaded.

If I follow Garmin's online instructions carefully, is this download and installation process virtually foolproof? Is it unlikely that it will mess-up my device?

(Admittedly, as you've probably guessed from my overly-cautious posts, I'm a little nervous about this "techie" stuff! :lol:)

My device works great now... but it would be nice to get the new map update.
  • sandyp 0 Points
    One can never say never! Depending on your connection, there is always the possibility of an issue. However, you simply repeat the process. I've performed several updates and only once did I have to re-start (due to a very poor connection).

Good luck!
  • i dont see a map update. i have on my gps 2010.40 right now.
  • tmeister 0 Points
    Garmania:

The download is around 2 Gigs, which took an hour on Cable, and 4.5 hours over DSL. If you use the download manager, it will do an Integrity Check once the download is completed to verify nothing got corrupted during the download. If everything is good, it will tell you it is Finished, 100%.

Once it finishes downloading, and the Garmin is plugged in (with PIN entered if using Garmin Lock) and sitting at the connected to PC screen, Launch the map update (or execute the program). Answer a couple installation questions (you can choose the recommended ones) and if there are no memory space issues on either the Garmin or your PC, it will take approx. 30-40 minutes to update the maps on the device.

This will also install the MapSource program on your computer. You'll see a new shortcut to it under the Garmin program group (where WebUpdater installs to).

I've done this twice as my dad and I bought 1490Ts rencently. I've seen no problems with either since.
  • tmeister 0 Points
    Chevy01xtreme:

Go to mygramin.com and log in. Go to the MyMaps tab to see if you have a One-time Free Map Update. It will have this link if it's within 60 days from the first time your unit connected to a satellite and hasn't used the free update before.

Once you click the link to download the map file, it will be available to redownload (if need be) for 14 days afterwards.
  • Speedy3 0 Points
    When I sign into my account it tells me that I have a lifetime update available but I get the yellow triangle sign with the exclamation point when it checks for compatibility. I don't even see 2011.10 anywhere on he available maps to be downloaded page. What gives?
  • Garmania 0 Points
    I apologize for making the same post twice, but I'm experiencing a bit of a dilemma at the moment... and need some quick advice.

As I type this post, I'm in the process of downloading and installing the onetime free map update for my Garmin 255W.

When I reached the installation process, I was notified that my computer did not have enough storage space (need approx. 1.3 GB more space). Having already tried, I don't think I can find enough extra space on my computer's hard drive. Before this download was initiated I had tons of available memory on my computer... :?:

Anyway, Garmin's software recommends that I select option #1, which reads:

Option #1: "[Recommended] Installs the software to the default location."

Is it unwise to select option #3, which reads:

Option #3: "Skip PC installation and update only the GPS"

What are the risks and/or disadvantages of choosing option #3, rather than option #1 (above)?

Thanks!
  • I did mine the other day and by saving it to the computer you also get mapsource for doing maps and routes to dowload to your gps. also you won't have a backup if something goes wrong later on.....I am a newbie so that is all I can think of myself.

Jim
  • Garmania 0 Points
    I did mine the other day and by saving it to the computer you also get mapsource for doing maps and routes to dowload to your gps. also you won't have a backup if something goes wrong later on.....I am a newbie so that is all I can think of myself.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim.

It would appear that - due to insufficient memory on my computer - I don't have any other choice but to select option #3 (above).

Although I probably wouldn't use MapSource anyway, I'm mainly wondering if it is perfectly safe to install the map update (and whatever software comes with it) directly onto my GPS device by using option #3.

Can anyone reassure me that option #3 is safe? Or, am I inviting more problems by selecting this option?

Thanks!
  • dhlizard 0 Points
    I did mine the other day and by saving it to the computer you also get mapsource for doing maps and routes to dowload to your gps. also you won't have a backup if something goes wrong later on.....I am a newbie so that is all I can think of myself.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

It would appear that - due to insufficient memory on my computer - I don't have any other choice but to select option #3 (above).

Although I probably wouldn't use MapSource anyway, I'm mainly wondering if it is perfectly
    safe to install the map update (and whatever software comes with it) directly onto my GPS device by using option #3.

Can anyone reassure me that option #3 is safe? Or, am I inviting more problems by selecting this option?

Thanks!
    What do you mean is it safe? It just skips Mapsource and puts the map on the GPS only.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    What do you mean is it safe? It just skips Mapsource and puts the map on the GPS only.
    Thanks, I wasn't too sure exactly what option #3 would entail.

As it stands now, I have a file (presumably the recent map update) sitting on my computer's desktop. The name of this file is: garmin_rmu_cnnant2011_10. The size of this file, before extraction, is 2.17 GB. My laptop computer's hard drive has only 4.75 GB of free space.

The Garmin Communicator Plugin claimed that my computer's hard drive had insufficient free space to extract/install this file. Having now exited both the Garmin Communicator and Download Manager, I can't seem to locate either program... in order to extract and install the map update directly onto the GPS device. The only new icon on my Desktop is the map update file itself.

If I now double-click on the map update file (mentioned above) the extraction process begins. However, how do I get this file to install onto the GPS device, rather than onto my computer? As mentioned, apparently there's not enough free space on my computer (4.75 GB) to accommodate this file once it is extracted/decompressed.

Thanks for your patience. (This technical stuff is not my forte. :shock:)
This discussion has been closed.
↑ Top