This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuMaps Lifetime North America 2011.30 released 11/11/2010

Comments

• tmeister 0 Points
    edited April 2010
    The options should come up again when you execute the map update file.

The uncompressed form of the file is around 3.126 Gigs. The size of the maps that loaded to my C drive is 1.59 Gigs. I'm guessing that Option 3 will forego loading the extracted maps on your HD and instead install it straight to your Garmin.

The installer should tell you whether or not it will have the space to complete the installation via Option 3.
  • Chevy01xtreme:

Go to mygramin.com and log in. Go to the MyMaps tab to see if you have a One-time Free Map Update. It will have this link if it's within 60 days from the first time your unit connected to a satellite and hasn't used the free update before.

Once you click the link to download the map file, it will be available to redownload (if need be) for 14 days afterwards.
    this is from my email sent to garmin why i dont see the map update since i have lifetime updates.so if you dont see this update this is why

"We have identified a compatibility issue between the Nuvi 850, and the 2011 mapping we recently released. Therefore it is not yet possible to update a Nuvi 850 to this version. We are working on a correction for this issue, and we are currently scheduling the update to be made available for the 800 series devices on May 6th. Once available you will be able to access it through your MyGarmin account. I apologize for the delay and inconvenience.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email or contact us at 1-800-800-1020 Mon-Thu 8am-6pm Fri 8am-5pm Central. "
  • dhlizard 0 Points
    Just double click the file. Make sure the GPS is attached and recognized by your computer.

Hint: Clear out your Hard drive or you will have this issue every 3 months.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    Yes, maybe it's time for me to buy a new computer - with a larger HD!

Many thanks to all those who walked me through this installation process. The installation is now complete and my 255W GPS device seems to be working fine with the new map update.

One thing that I've noticed, however, is that whenever I select "Where to?" → "Address" and begin to type the name of a city, duplicate entries are provided. For example, if I begin to type the word "T-o-r-o-n-t-o," the device will auto-complete the option "Toronto, ON" twice. This same duplication of selectable options happens for any city which I input. Although this is certainly not a problem, this quirk didn't occur before the update.

For those who are interested, these were my software versions before the update:

Map version: CN North America NT 2010.10
    Software version: 6.10
    Audio version: 1.10
    GPS SW version: 4.10b

Now that the update has been completed, these are my current software versions:

Map version: CN North America NT 2011.10
    Software version: 6.40
    Audio version: 1.10
    GPS SW version: 4.10b

Thanks again for your kind help! :D
  • What happens if you are in the middle of the upgrade and your internet connection goes away? Does it brick the unit? Do you have to start over? Will it continue where it left off once the connection is restored? Is the unit useless until the upgrade is completed?

I'd guess he was looking for answers to questions like those. (I don't know the answers, BTW, or I'd post something more useful...)
  • DerekW 232 Points
    The map update process is in three stages - if using the Garmin browser plugin it enables a download to be interrupted and restarted.

After the down load is completed a verification step takes place to ensure that the file is complete.

The final stage of updating the data on the GPS only relies on there being a USB type connection between the computer and the GPS device, so the update of the GPS is independent of the integrity of the broadband connection.

or it appeared that way when I did my recent update
  • Garmania 0 Points
    Another consideration - of which I was completely unaware beforehand - is that the Garmin Communicator plugin apparently updates the firmware of the device before installing the map update. This is mainly what caused me to be concerned.

Eventually the installation process informed me that there was insufficient storage space on my computer. However, a few minutes earlier I had been instructed to turn my GPS device off-and-on to allow the device to install updates. When I did so, the GPS device displayed the explanation that it was indeed completing an installation. For obvious reasons, I was concerned that the map update had only partially installed, before I was eventually advised that there was not enough storage space to continue.

In hindsight, I now realize that the installation of the map update will not initiate unless it is first confirmed that sufficient storage space exists on the GPS device (and/or the computer). Until sufficient availability of storage space for the map update is confirmed, the only installation which will proceed is firmware (software programs) - not the map update itself (which is much larger).

Strange as it may sound, I'm still not sure if it was myDashboard or the WebUpdater which I was using. Neither identity was mentioned explicitly by name during the update process.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I came across an excellent price for a one-time CNNT North America map update. Just $30 at Amazon, a good option for those expecting to change devices within a year or so.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q2VZCC/
  • Garmania 0 Points
    I came across an excellent price for a one-time CNNT North America map update. Just $30 at Amazon, a good option for those expecting to change devices within a year or so.

Isn't this the 2010 map - last year's update?
  • Tim 1482 Points
    That is what the product page says, but it might not be correct for two reasons.

1) The 2011 map just came out in the past couple of weeks so the product details might just be old or not yet updated.

2) When selling map update "codes" to download a new map, as this product is, as opposed to a physical DVD, historically the code entitles you to the most recent map available and not a specific version.

I could be wrong, but my best guess is that you would get the most recent version available at the time you redeemed the code.
  • Garmania 0 Points
    Wow! Then this is an excellent deal.

I'll have to keep this in mind, since I'll probably be upgrading my GPS device to a higher-end unit within the next year or two. Consequently, this is a more cost-effective arrangement for me, rather than buying the lifetime map subscription. Personally, I have no intention of updating my maps more than once every year or two.

Thanks for the link, gatorguy! :D
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    People that are buying/downloading the Amazon update deal are getting the latest 2011 maps.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    Thanks for providing that confirmation!
  • Amb 0 Points
    Hi.
    I just installed the new 2011.10 map updates from my lifetime subscription. It took two days of trying, but in the end it worked - once I took my PC off my wifi network and plugged it in. I had three unsuccessful - corrupt - downloads, and on my wifi, each took hours. One time i got as far as loading into the Garmin before it said I had a corrupt file.
    I got frustrated, and plugged the PC in for the network. Not only was it quicker, it worked the first time! So maybe those that are having problems could try this? Just trying to help!

AMB
  • Hi.
    I just installed the new 2011.10 map updates from my lifetime subscription. It took two days of trying, but in the end it worked - once I took my PC off my wifi network and plugged it in. I had three unsuccessful - corrupt - downloads, and on my wifi, each took hours. One time i got as far as loading into the Garmin before it said I had a corrupt file.
    I got frustrated, and plugged the PC in for the network. Not only was it quicker, it worked the first time! So maybe those that are having problems could try this? Just trying to help!

AMB
    Good point! Depending on your router/wifi settings, you may be experiencing packet loss, even with a strong signal. Adjusting the receive buffer, MTU, TTL or other settings may help.
  • i am downloading now the newest map update for my nuvi 850 .. :) 2011.10
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points

It's now $49.99.... :(
  • jconner 0 Points
    I'm new to the forum so if I am at the wrong spot or someone can advise on sticky or searc I would appreciate it.

I am attempting to upgrade my Nuvi 265TW S/W 6.40 map version 2010.10 to the latest 2011.1 maps.

I am using MyDashboard and have purchased the downloadable version (perhaps a mistake) and I get as far as the extraction and at roughly the same point (on multiple machines Windows 7, Win XP SP3, Firefox or IE8) it crashes with a file Extraction failure - File corrupt.

In reading through the forum I've seen what look like hints about this but nothing specific. Can someone give me a pointer?

Thanks for any help.
  • redowns 0 Points
    Lifetime refers to the lifetime of a unit it is tied to, not your lifetime :wink:
    What if that unit dies an untimely death? Are you then out $120? Is the lifetime subscription transferable to a new device?

redjr...
  • Marc 301 Points
    You have the option of sending it in for repair or replacement, in which case if they provide a replacement unit you can transfer it. If you go out and buy a new device you need a new subscription.
  • redowns 0 Points
    You have the option of sending it in for repair or replacement, in which case if they provide a replacement unit you can transfer it. If you go out and buy a new device you need a new subscription.
    Does anyone send in for repairs anymore? :o All they typically do is send you a refurbished one for 2/3 the cost of an equivalent new unit. No thanks. I've already bought a new device. I guess I'm SOL.

redjr...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    City Navigator NT v2011.20 released on July 28 2010.

• sviking 141 Points
    For anyone who's finished installing the update... Are the detailed maps of Mexico included as they were in 2011.20?
  • t923347 432 Points
    The new 2011.20 map update is NOT available for the 37xx Nuvi models.

Talked to Garmin support. There is a compatibility problem with the 2010.20 map update that affects all 37xx Nuvi models. The result is that no map update is available for these units today.

Garmin is working on a patch, which should be available either later today or in a day or so that will allow owners of the 37xx units to download the 2011.20 map update.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Nice going, Garmin. Way to not troubleshoot and potentially alienate a lot of owners...owners of the NEWEST Garmin Nuvis currently out. :roll:
  • Boyd 1998 Points
    The maps for the 3700 series include the NuTrends (or whatever it's called) feature. It is even part of the map name displayed on the GPS, such as "City Navigator North America with NuTrends" or something like that (sorry don't have my 3790 here).

So perhaps that's the issue? Whatever, as a 3790 owner I could care less if the map update is delayed.
  • JeffGoobs 0 Points
    Hi guys. I've successfully updated my nuvi 765T to 2011.20, but I seem to be having a slight issue with the new MapUpdate software.

Before, when the system simply used the Java applet to perform the download, I could specify where the .dmg file with the map would be placed. I like to save my map files for backup purposes.

I'm a bit concerned, because the MyGarmin page states that I only have today to get the new map file, but I can't for the life of me figure out where that file was downloaded to.

I am aware of the Advanced tab option of installing the map on your computer as well, but that's not what I am looking for. I am looking for the .dmg file with the freshly downloaded, not-yet-installed map. It took me 5 (yes FIVE) tries to get the new map loaded without the unit losing communication with my computer before it was done. I do not want to risk re-installing it on the unit in case the successfully installed map becomes corrupted.

Do any Mac users have any idea about this?
  • DerekW 232 Points
    I took out the Lifetime Subscription a couple of weeks ago for the North American Maps to update my 775T which had had the free upgrade of the NA maps last year.

I had bought the Lifetime Europe maps last year and had done at least two lifetime updates OK. (I did not know that you could get a discounted combined Lifetime for NA and Europe --- )

Back to the story - when I tried to download and install the NA map the other week via my Mac Pro. It would not do it properly - the first dmg file would not download and process. I rang the local Garmin help desk and he was puzzled as well - so I connected the Garmin to my Mac Book Pro and the download and install worked a treat.
    I was able to copy the maps from the Mac book to the Mac Pro and then unlocked the file on there as well so that I could use Basecamp with it.

WHat I did notice is that the program that is executed to actually do the download and install to the satNav was not placed in the Applications folder - it was still in the DMG file I had downloaded when I did the Lifetime update for the European files a couple of months ago.

Try copying the down load install program in the Application folder and see if it works - OI will be trying it out in a few days when there has been a chance for any issues in the latest release of the NA maps have been corrected.

Apologies for the essay - hope it helps
  • This may be a dumb question, but would this map update fall under the nuMaps guarantee? I ask because I bought a 765T about a week ago and as of yet have not registered it in hopes that there would be a new update. I am also hoping that even though I have used it and updated the firmware that I will still be able to get this map. Thanks as always for your input.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    If a new map update comes out within 60 days of getting the unit you get the update free.
    Get the newest maps available and navigate with confidence with our nüMaps Guarantee. Simply register your new Garmin nüvi or zūmo at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device and you'll be able to see if a free map update is available. With our nüMaps Guarantee, you'll be up-to-date when you hit the road.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Well, one happy lifetime subscription owner here. Two ancient units (660 and 2720) successfully updated, along with the computer/MapSource to 2011.20. No problems with the 660 I took around town today. In reference to my question above...I checked after the first download installed and all of Mexico is indeed included in the "North America" of Garmin's world. Didn't used to be as of update/map before last. :lol:
  • sviking 141 Points

So perhaps that's the issue? Whatever, as a 3790 owner I could care less if the map update is delayed.
    So, that means you DO care somewhat, eh? :wink:
  • SkipD 91 Points
    This may be a dumb question, but would this map update fall under the nuMaps guarantee? I ask because I bought a 765T about a week ago and as of yet have not registered it in hopes that there would be a new update. I am also hoping that even though I have used it and updated the firmware that I will still be able to get this map. Thanks as always for your input.
    You have 60 days - and NO more - from the time you first acquired satellites with the unit to get a single map update for free.
  • Hawk 81 Points
    Well, one happy lifetime subscription owner here.
    Same here. Has to be one of the easiest downloads yet. Congrats Garmin!!
    Note that 'after' the latest map update, there is also a small 'software' update.
    And that went well also. :D

The 755T touchscreen problem correction, along with easy map updates, I'm a happy traveler! 8)
  • Gramps 0 Points
    If a new map update comes out within 60 days of getting the unit you get the update free.
    This is not entirely true, as I just discovered. When I got my new 755T a couple of weeks ago, I registered it with Garmin and was offered the map update which gave me the 2011.10 update.

Within a week of this download the 2011.20 was released and would be well within the 60 day period. However, there seems to be no way to update to this latest map without paying the $70 (US) fee!
  • DerekW 232 Points
    JeffGoobs

I think I have cracked the problem

The Download button to get the download file does cause a good download - however if you do a Right mouse click (or ctrl left click) on the mouse then select Download linked file it works OK

Some how I have a different operation between the two Macs - The Mac Pro requiring the Right mouse Click
  • alanb 555 Points
    I noticed that the new map download system only gives you a 2 day grace period for redownload (the expiration listed in MyGarmin). Didn't the old system give you 15 days?
  • t923347 432 Points
    I'm sure I read on another forum that it's now a YEAR. The date quoted was 7/28/2011.
  • alanb 555 Points
    You are right t923347! My old eyes blurred that 2011 right out. Thanks.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Been there, done that :lol:
  • macotex 87 Points
    Downloaded v2011.20 on lifetime sub to my nuvi 765t tonight, but after checking the map version on the map page it shows the previously installed v2011.10. My Garmin tells me it has been installed.

Is there another way to check if the update has been installed?

Will call Garmin support tomorrow morning!

SW v4.0 works great!
  • dmjohn29 186 Points

This is not entirely true, as I just discovered. When I got my new 755T a couple of weeks ago, I registered it with Garmin and was offered the map update which gave me the 2011.10 update.

Within a week of this download the 2011.20 was released and would be well within the 60 day period. However, there seems to be no way to update to this latest map without paying the $70 (US) fee!
    Try contacting Garmin. When I purchased my 255W I registered it and download the latest map. The next day Garmin posted a newer map, which I would have to pay for.

I emailed Garmin Support explaining my situation, and pointing out that I really didn't want to return the unit to the store and buy another one just to get the latest map. They emailed me back saying they had reset my account and I was able to update to the current map.

One day vs. one week.....maybe it's still close enough. It's worth a shot. Tech support replied to my email within a couple of hours.
  • gatorguy 326 Points

Gramps, the guarantee doesn't say you can have every map released within 60 days for free. It's a one-time offer fora newer map if one is released, which they fulfilled for you.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I'm a bit concerned, because the MyGarmin page states that I only have today to get the new map file
    Did you look at the year? My update is good until 2011, a year from today. By then there will be new map updates. I see no reason to keep any backup maps on a local computer.

When I needed to download a prior map an email was sent to Garmin with the details and they reactivated the download. So Garmin is my backup.
  • mgraben 0 Points
    With the new Garmin Map Updater utility, be sure to click on the Advanced button if you want the option to save a copy of the map for use on your computer with Mapsource. Otherwise you only get it installed to your GPS. That seems to be a different procedure since the last time I updated my maps in April.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    The new 2011.20 map update is NOT available for the 37xx Nuvi models.

Talked to Garmin support. There is a compatibility problem with the 2010.20 map update that affects all 37xx Nuvi models. The result is that no map update is available for these units today.

Garmin is working on a patch, which should be available either later today or in a day or so that will allow owners of the 37xx units to download the 2011.20 map update.
    Did they fix this issue? I decided to give the 3790t a try and should be here today.
  • t923347 432 Points
    No I talked the them this morning as someone on GPSpassion was reporting that he could download the map update after talking to Garmin support. Turns out that was incorrect and the map update is still not compatible with the 37xx models.

I've been told that it will require a firmware update and that the update is not that far off. The update will also correct other issues with the 37xx models , possibly even the inability to transfer routes from Mapsource, or so the scuttlebutt says.
  • Gramps 0 Points
    No I talked the them this morning as someone on GPSpassion was reporting that he could download the map update after talking to Garmin support. Turns out that was incorrect and the map update is still not compatible with the 37xx models.

I've been told that it will require a firmware update and that the update is not that far off. The update will also correct other issues with the 37xx models , possibly even the inability to transfer routes from Mapsource, or so the scuttlebutt says.
    Great! I just fired off an email saying that I am about to return my 755T to the store and get a new one so I can get a current map. I'll see if it changes the picture.

But really, the information they give about what you can do within the 60 days is just a tad ambiguous (or maybe it is my ageing brain that sees it that way).
  • t923347 432 Points
    I have no idea why you quoted my post as it concerns only the 37xx models and not the 755T.

If I understand your issue it's that you bought a 755, updated the maps to 2011.10 and now seem to think that you should also get 2011.20 for free because it happened to come out a few days after you updated the first time.

Personally I think that's the breaks of the game and Garmin has only guaranteed you one free update. It's not their fault you did it a week before a new map came out.

IMHO, you may get Garmin to do it for you but it sure isn't going to be by sending them e-mails which simply makes it easier for them to e-mail right back saying "no way". If it's ever going to happen it will only be by talking to them and if the answers NO then asking to talk to a supervisor.
  • Gramps 0 Points
    I have no idea why you quoted my post as it concerns only the 37xx models and not the 755T.

If I understand your issue it's that you bought a 755, updated the maps to 2011.10 and now seem to think that you should also get 2011.20 for free because it happened to come out a few days after you updated the first time.

Personally I think that's the breaks of the game and Garmin has only guaranteed you one free update. It's not their fault you did it a week before a new map came out.

IMHO, you may get Garmin to do it for you but it sure isn't going to be by sending them e-mails which simply makes it easier for them to e-mail right back saying "no way". If it's ever going to happen it will only be by talking to them and if the answers NO then asking to talk to a supervisor.
    I believe you are totally correct and that I am looking at life through a bunch of sour grapes. I have also considered that since the update was issued for a device with a particular serial number, if I were to return it to the store and get a new one, the poor soul who buys my returned Garmin will find that he can't get the free update.

Also, how many changes would happen in the areas where I drive between 2011.10 and 2011.20? I think I'd be hard pressed to find even one.

Maybe I'll just end up buying the lifetime update card - even if I only download a new map once a year.

Thanks for the reality check! :oops:
This discussion has been closed.
↑ Top