This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

firmware 2.22

bdobson 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
can anyone tell me what is new in the 2.22 firmware update over the 2.20 firmware for the 1440 model. Thanks

Comments

• HI, The only new feature is Smart Detour. Smart Detour monitors your current/average speed on a road versus the expected speed. If, for example, you are averaging 40mph on a road where it thinks you should be going 65mph, it will look for a road that might be faster and will create a new route. So it works passively and you can't "activate" it yourself, other than to drive really slow.
    This is a very useful feature.

Bob
  • bdobson 0 Points
    the smart detour feature is also in the 2.20 firmware. I was wondering what else might be in the 2.22 update
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I also want to know what the difference is. I have 2.2 and have seen no reason to go to 2.22. Especially with the chance to crash the unit.
  • freds 0 Points
    If there is no lag between your actual position and the vehicle indicator on the GPS map then do not update to 2.22. I had no problem updating to 2.22. But now my position on the GPS lags behind my actual position. I will be on an off-ramp before the GPS tells me I need to take the off-ramp. The "ping" sounds as I drive down the off-ramp. I am by an intersection before the GPS map shows me at the intersection, so the turn indicator comes too late to notify me of the turn.
  • markpace 0 Points
    If there is no lag between your actual position and the vehicle indicator on the GPS map then do not update to 2.22. I had no problem updating to 2.22. But now my position on the GPS lags behind my actual position. I will be on an off-ramp before the GPS tells me I need to take the off-ramp. The "ping" sounds as I drive down the off-ramp. I am by an intersection before the GPS map shows me at the intersection, so the turn indicator comes too late to notify me of the turn.
    Is that what caused it? I just bought a 1440, and immediately updated the firmware to 2.22 without every using it first. I lagged horribly. I had Magellan replace the unit, it came with the 2.22 firmware and it lags horribly also. I'm glad I didn't pay to much for this thing, I'm not happy with it at all.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I have 2.2 and I also have the lag we all talk about. I can't recall if I had it before 2.2. I think I upgraded the firmware 3 times. I don't remember when the "lag" started.
  • blico 0 Points
    It is amazing to me that Magellan hasn't been able to or perhaps care to fix this problem. Although it is not a show stopper for this unit it is an irritation. I bought a 1470 in May of 2009. It was spot on accurate with what I think was 1.10 or something near that. I think the "lag" started around 2.05. When Magellan provided the "lag" in their updates they also provided the "bricker". 3 units later, mine is out of warranty and I'll not be updating again. Should I ever need another GPS, it will not be a Magellan.
  • markpace 0 Points
    Well the replacement unit died with a Fatal Application Error the next time I turned it on. :cry: Magellan's response, charge the battery.

I'll humor them and make sure it's charged, but I'm fairly confident I now posses a brick. Guess I'll be returning this one also. :(
  • markpace 0 Points
    Obviously fully charged didn't make a difference.

Next they asked me to try power cycling the unit. :roll:
    And if that didn't work then UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. :shock:

I replied that I couldn't do the firmware update if it wouldn't boot up!!

The saga continues......
  • markpace 0 Points
    Well I'm now on my third unit. I received it today. Lags just like the first two, but at least this one will boot up.... :roll:

Hopefully Magellan will come out with another firmware update that will fix the problem.
  • Flyboybob 80 Points
    My 1440 has never lagged, I think it came with version 2.0, and I have upgraded to 2.22 firmware and it still does not lag.
  • bdobson 0 Points
    Can you update the 1440 to 2.22 without using the content manager. I have the zip file 2.22 rel1
    Thanks
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    you can try double clicking on the zip file and see what happens. I know I updated several times before they had the content manager.
  • markpace 0 Points
    Does any else have an issue where your 1440 blinks/flashes when it's not routing? When it's routing it's fine, when I'm viewing the map and it's not routing the screen flashes/blinks. It's very annoying. I think I made have thrown some good money down the toilet on this unit.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I hope it is still under warranty. I have never heard of that. My 1470 looks the same whether it is routing or not.
  • markpace 0 Points
    I hope it is still under warranty. I have never heard of that. My 1470 looks the same whether it is routing or not.
    Oh, it's still under warranty, but this is the 3rd unit, and it costs me $7-8 every time I return it. I'll file ANOTHER report, but I won't send this one back. I'll chalk it up to experience and go buy another TomTom.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    It is possible to get them to pay for your return shipping. I would think that after 3 times, they would be willing to do that. I had a mix up with them on a unit. They sent me a return label. They sent me the number and FedEx accepted it and Magellan paid for shipping. I don't think they ever volunteer that information. But they may do it.
  • markpace 0 Points
    It is possible to get them to pay for your return shipping. I would think that after 3 times, they would be willing to do that. I had a mix up with them on a unit. They sent me a return label. They sent me the number and FedEx accepted it and Magellan paid for shipping. I don't think they ever volunteer that information. But they may do it.
    Thanks for the tip. :-)

But I still won't send it back. I'll be without my GPS for another 2 weeks. So far I used the original unit 2 days. Was without it for 2 weeks, the next unit didn't work for 30 mins before it refused to boot up. 2 more weeks without the GPS. Now I've had this unit for 1 day, and it's still lagging and flashing.

I'm going to chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned, put it in a garage sale, and go but another TomTom, or maybe take a chance on a Garmin.

The funny thing is I bought this Magellan because I've read everywhere that the maps on Magellan and Garmin are much more accurate than maps on the TomTom. Maybe it's only the area I live, but I do NOT find that statement to be correct.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I understand what you are saying but, if you are going to buy a TT or Garmin anyway. If Magellan will pay for return shipping, why not just send it in so when you sell it at a Garage sale, at least you will be selling a working unit. I sell things on E-bay. However, I never sell anything that is not in good working condition. I really don't understand the problems you had. To have 3 bad units is really unusual.
  • markpace 0 Points
    The 1st one I returned because it lagged and was inaccurate (probably nothing actually wrong with it).
    The 2nd one worked for 30 mins and then wouldn't boot again.
    The 3rd one is the same as the 1st. Lags behind and is inaccurate. The problem with it flashing went away. 3 days later and it's not done it again. So I assume it's not broken, it's just the way the 1440 is - with this firmware.

They did offer to pay for the return shipping this time, but I turned them down. 1 & 3 are exactly the same and I don't see another unit making any difference on the lag problem.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    They all seem to lag. I have a 1470, but it is the same firmware. Somewhere, one of the firmware updates did that. They haven't been able to fix it yet. If they are even trying.