This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series Announced

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    Indeed! :D This one's a real winner in so many ways.

The traffic cable is the same as the one from my 1350t, and I gave up on that. I believe you've posted before that traffic service works acceptably in your area, but it never has in mine so I have pretty much given up on it. I am using the regular cable from my Nuvi 205. Wish I didn't have to pay for the traffic service which I'll probably never use.
    Boyd, you may want to give the traffic receiver that came with your 3790 a try, if your interested in traffic at all. Although they look the same they are not. The receiver on the 1xxx series is GTM 25 while the one on the 37xx is GTM 35. I find that I'm getting a lot more traffic data using the 3790 receiver than I ever did with the receiver from my 1490 . I live in a 'fringe area' and I'm seeing traffic reported now in areas that I never even saw the traffic icon on the screen before.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hmm... I didn't know that, thanks for the correction. But as I posted earlier, I did try the receiver over perhaps 50 miles on the NJ Turnpike and Interstate 295 and never saw the traffic icon appear. I assume it would be like the 1350 and acknowledge that you are receiving a signal?

I had the cord draped up over my dash but the GPS was mounted low, near the radio. The thing is just awkward and ugly however, which discourages me from using it, and I dislike having the GPS mounted on the windshield.

Maybe I need to investigate an external antenna, since it appears to have a jack on the side, which I gather they use in the EU.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Yea, that jack on the side is for a TMC antenna, I suppose like the one that comes with a TomTom. Not sure if by plugging something into that jack you cut off the Navteq traffic and only get TMC data or not though.

I've read reports that it takes sometime before you start to receive data over the 3790T receiver so you may want to give it another try. I have my Nuvi on a 'bean bag' mount so it's on the dashboard but I don't have the receiver cable 'draped' at all. In fact it still has the 'tie' around it just like it came in the box (just got lucky on the location of the power outlet).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Off topic but good to see you here, Rick :D
  • t923347 432 Points
    Thanks Serg - expanding my horizons :lol:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Really nice to see you spend a little time with us. A few goods posts found on US forums too. :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    Thanks Gator. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yea, that jack on the side is for a TMC antenna, I suppose like the one that comes with a TomTom. Not sure if by plugging something into that jack you cut off the Navteq traffic and only get TMC data or not though.
    I thought TMC was just a medium for sending traffic data. Isn't this what is already used by Navteq?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel
    NAVTEQ Traffic delivers traffic information and related advertising via RDS and HD signals to navigation devices nationwide.

Also Clear Channel and Tele Atlas have a TMC service called Total Traffic Network (TTN), using FM RDS in 77 US cities and three Canadian metropolitan areas
    I assumed that the antenna would just be to improve reception - like the TomTom RDS-TMC that you mention (I had this with my 920t several years ago, and was also not very impressed).

Are stations limited to less power in the EU possibly, thereby requiring an antenna for acceptable performance? I spent a couple minutes casually looking around and didn't see any third party antenna's for this. But should be pretty easy to build one if you know what kind of connector and how to wire it.

Man, it has been a LOT of years since, as a kid, my father (an engineer) taught me some basics of antenna design :) ... but are these just simple "dipole" antennas, which are essentially two wires?
  • SergZak 340 Points

Are stations limited to less power in the EU possibly, thereby requiring an antenna for acceptable performance?
    Yes, the EU stations transmit with less power which is why the external antenna is provided with the EU models.
    but are these just simple "dipole" antennas, which are essentially two wires?
    Actually, a single wire I believe. My GTM-11 (for the nuvi 3xx/6xx series) came with an antenna adapter which connected to your car's FM radio antenna connector allowing you to use the car's antenna for both the radio and the GTM unit.

It also came with separate "whip" (short) antenna and a single wire (very small gauge) antenna that could be snaked into the gap between the windshield and the dash or up the A-pillar and snaked into the gap between the headliner & windshield.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks. So, in one of my bags o' junk, I have a cord with a micro phone plug - don't know what it is really called, but it's like the mini phone plug on iPod earbuds only smaller.

This one looks like a stereo plug, with the tip and two insulated rings, although it only has two wires going into it. It seems to fit that hole in the side of the traffic receiver. Is that the correct cable do you think?

And are you saying that only one of the wires would be use... just the tip maybe? Maybe I will experiment around with this, and continue to look for more info online.

But the problem for me, living way out in the country, is that there aren't any stations around anyway. On my commute to Philadelphia, I could never get traffic data until I was within about 20 miles from town and my commute is more than 50 miles.

But traffic info would be nice on some trips I will be making to New York City this summer, if I could come up with a little more elegant way to wire things up and actually get a signal.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Don't know the wiring on the jack or the plug but I really doubt all three conductors are even used. Likely just the tip but I really cannot say. If it's indeed a single wire, I doubt the ring/sleeve are used (the conductors on the plug are usually referred to as tip/ring/sleeve). We'd really have to get verification on the actual wiring from an owner with a multimeter to verify the antenna cable but I really doubt it's anything complicated. Probably just a single strand wire connected to the tip of the plug. If I was building a cable to test, that's the first thing I would try.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Another note for those interested.

My 3750 always shows the name of the upcoming street when not routing. This is regardless of speed or whether I am on a highway or normal road. Looks like that feature is back on this series.

I know Rick on GPS Passion said his was not consistent, but so far on mine, it's been consistent.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I see the next street as well most of the time, but haven't really watched it too carefully. I suspect that it may not always be consistent, especially if driving outside an urban area where there are regular cross streets. That is also what I noticed on my 1350 - sometimes it showed the next street, other times it did not.

I posted a screen shot earlier in this thread that showed the cross street display in downtown Philadelphia. If you zoom in a bit (.2 miles or more), just about every cross street on the screen is labeled anyway, so listing it at the top of the screen may be redundant.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    My 3750 always shows the name of the upcoming street when not routing. This is regardless of speed or whether I am on a highway or normal road. Looks like that feature is back on this series
    Yes, this feature is back...at last! I really missed this on the 765 and 855 and always thought is was counter-productive to show the current street rather than the upcoming cross street. Yet another reason why I love this unit.
  • romisejo 0 Points
    Thank you for giving me an update regarding the speakers, contrary to Boyd, I mainly listen and only usually look at the screen for lane assist and junction view when they popup.

Graphics looks great on your gadget but sound is of greater importance for me on the 1490, so sounds like I will keep mine :)

By the way, I live in Montreal and just to let you know about junction view, I read that there are not that many in the states. Let me tell you that in and around Montreal (I don't know why Navteq is like that) about every junction is covered and there are tons.

We don't get speed limits but at least junction view is worth it on a Garmin.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Getting back to something that Gator posted earlier in this thread:
    This was a surprise from their EU press event today: Garmin is not using Navteq's Traffic Patterns, but instead have been doing their own crowd-sourcing under the radar. Apparently the effort began late last year, with our nuvis uploading data whenever owners have connected for firmware and/or map updates, or in the case of the 1690's, via the two-way connectivity of the the cell connection.
    I just saw the following in the 3790 onboard help files, and don't think I seen it spelled out like this elsewhere:

When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, your device uses historic traffic information when calculating routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or the time of day.

When you drive with the trafficTrends feature enabled, your device records traffic data that is used to improve the trafficTrends historic traffic information. This information is uploaded to Garmin when you connect your device to myGarmin using your computer.

Now, if you look on page 50 of the owners manual:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi3760T_OwnersManual.pdf

Under "About trafficTrends", it features the first paragraph quoted above (describing trafficTrends) but *not* the second paragraph (about uploading your information to Garmin).
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    An update on the viewing of upcoming roads while on the map screen, but not in a route.

I think I figured out when it doesn't display the next road. If the next road is more than about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away, it won't show as the next road until you get closer. So if you are on a long country road and the next road isn't for a few miles, the nuvi will show the road you are currently driving on. But once you get closer (about 1/4 mile - maybe a little further out) it will show you the name of the next road.

This is what I observed yesterday when I hit a stretch of road with no upcoming roads for a little more than 1/2 a mile.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Interesting. Actually, I have been specifically watching the next street display myself. In the city it displays each upcoming cross street, however there can be a slight lag between the time that you cross through an intersection until the street name is updated. Driving in city traffic downtown at ~30mph, this might be something like 1/4 block.

Outside of town I still observed the next street name to be displayed, but what you say makes sense about the proximity. I just didn't pay close enough attention to observe it myself. :)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    If the next road is more than about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away, it won't show as the next road until you get closer. So if you are on a long country road and the next road isn't for a few miles, the nuvi will show the road you are currently driving on. But once you get closer (about 1/4 mile - maybe a little further out) it will show you the name of the next road.
    That sounds like an excellent trade off between the fixed display of one way or the other (next street/street currently on)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Garmin has posted some videos on YouTube showing off the features of the new 3700 series.

Multi-Touch Screen:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog#p/a/u/4/mRbJigFtMlw

Voice activation:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog#p/a/u/5/gPppIfPSrBI

Voice commands: http://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog#p/a/u/2/rFWaXKdRIzY

Using the 3790t:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog#p/a/u/5/gPppIfPSrBI
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Next you guys will want the address numbers of each house displayed as you pass by........like it used to be on the old Street Pilot series! :wink: :roll: :wink:
    As you can imagine it was never 'spot' on, but sure helped the pizza delivery guy anyway.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Best Buy in Canada have the 3760T in their weekly flyer - $449.99CAD, so no bargain price yet, but at least you'll be able to go to A retail outlet and play with one of these beauty's.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Next you guys will want the address numbers of each house displayed as you pass by........like it used to be on the old Street Pilot series!
    Well I don't know about that, but using the Map Themes feature on the 37x0 series, we could create a nice retro color scheme like the StreetPilot 26x0 series. Remember the famous Garmin Yellow with green roads? :D

Actually I got pretty tired of that after a few years...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Hey, at least you had COLOR...I was stuck in GPS V grayscale land for quite awhile...it's backlighting at night however was a lovely bluish glow. In spite of the grayscale and it's measly 19MB of on-board RAM. I loved that unit. 8)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    My 3750 always shows the name of the upcoming street when not routing. This is regardless of speed or whether I am on a highway or normal road.
    Or does it?... This morning I was driving through downtown Philadelphia (not on a route) and the 3790 was showing every street, as usual. Then all of a sudden, it switched to "Driving on South Broad St." This continued for about 3 blocks, each of which was a major cross street. The street names also didn't show on the map.

Then it snapped back to showing the next street. So, evidently under some circumstances it randomly decides not to show the cross streets. I drive this same way every morning, and am pretty certain that those missing cross streets normally show.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I'm experiencing the same behavior. Can't figure out what the logic is.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I use my NJ Topo map (screenshots posted earlier in this thread) as a torture test for all of my Garmin units since it has a huge amount of detail (more than any of Garmin's maps). It can be instructive, since it's like watching the map rendering process in slow motion.

What I observe on the 3790 is that the unit sort of gives up sometimes at the final step of the rendering if you are driving too fast for it. And one part of that final step is labeling the streets. So *maybe* this is happening with City Navigator under some conditions? It can't refresh the screen fast enough, so it leaves out some details?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just for fun, here are some screenshots of places that you may know, showing off the 3d capabilities of the built-in City Navigator maps the 3790. :)

• 6string 0 Points
    I just joined this forum as I'm waiting for my 3790t to arrive in a week or so. I'm upgrading from a Nuvi 880 and have had numerous GPS units in the past.

I do have a question regarding the audio of the 3790t. I know some of you don't use it, but I do. I know the included windshield mount has an external speaker, which from other reviews I've read, is better quality than the speaker built into the 3790t. My concern is that if I want to use a dashboard friction mount, like the new moldable one from Garmin, is there a way to transfer the mount with the ext. speaker to the friction mount, or would I automatically lose the ext. speaker? I'm looking forward to louder and better audio than my 880, and it would be a shame to lose that when I travel in states that prohibit using the windshield mount.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
  • t923347 432 Points
    You will have no problem as the speaker is in the cradle which is the piece that you clip to the Nuvi. The mount has a ball on the end that is standard to any Nuvi cradle so once the cradle is installed on your Nuvi you can use any mount you wish, the new one, the old bean bag style, the windshield mount that's in the box, etc.

By the way, there are no longer any states that do not allow windshield mounts, with the possible exception of Minnesota. The California law was altered some years ago to allow them if placed in the lower left or right corner of the windshield.
  • 6string 0 Points
    Thank you, that's helpful. I wasn't sure where the actual speaker was, the cradle or the mount. That takes care of that issue.

I hadn't realized California changed their law. And I was never sure if it was really enforced anyway. But it helps to know that.

Thanks much, I really appreciate your help.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    For anyone interested - I posted my findings when playing with the SQLite db files on my 3750. You can see that here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/20009/x/p1/

Bryan
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I think I understand how the myTrends feature works, so I'll explain my theory and others can adjust it as necessary. :)

It tries to predict which favorite you are going to based on the day of week and time of day that you have previously created a route for that favorite. For me, it correctly predicts when I am going to work and coming home, as long as it is the same time and day of week that used a route for that favorite. If I leave for work later in the day, or on the weekend, it doesn't "predict" it. So for day of the week, it may be more specifically broken down to weekday and weekend day - I am not sure if it is actually broken down into individual day of week.

These myTrends routes appear to be "start location" specific. So if you went to work every day from home at the same time, it would predict this. But if one day for some reason you turned the unit on at the coffee shop, it may not predict the route because this is not a "normal" start location for you. When I turn my unit on in the house or in the garage during the week at 9 am, it immediately says Work (12 min). I don't even have to drive or move.

So, if you have been playing with your nuvi at 10:00 pm and create a route to a favorite, it might predict that route again if you are using it the next night at 10 pm. This would account for people getting "random" myTrends routes at the top of their screen when just sitting there at home turning the nuvi on. We don't realize all of the routes we create just to test the unit out when we first get it. This being the first nuvi with this feature has caught us by surprise that it is learning what favorites we route to at certain times of the day and week.

Some of this info was gleaned from looking at the pre.db SQLite database stored in the .System\SQLite folder on the unit. Look at the table "prediction" and you will see what routes your unit is trying to predict.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It tries to predict which favorite you are going to based on the day of week and time of day that you have previously created a route for that favorite.
    Today was the first time I saw one of these "suggestions" in the bar at the top of the screen when I left the house. I think you have it mostly right, but in this case the favorite that was displayed was NOT one that I've ever routed to. Instead, it was a favorite that I DROVE PAST.

It was saying that the Walt Whitman Bridge was 48 minutes away. Now I do take that bridge, and have created a favorite for it, but my actual destination is always several miles PAST the bridge.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Sounds similar to a member in another forum where the unit suggested he go and pick some strawberries. :lol:

I have a feeling myTrends needs some more tweaking or more info in it's database.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Perhaps that member will have some insights to share here as well... :wink:
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Yes, this post was partially for said member because I myself am not a member of the other site. I read that site as often as this one, but don't have an account over there and don't really want to create one. I am hoping some of this info can make it over there (via someone with an account at both places) to help them with their discussions around this issue.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just returned from another ~300 mile trip from Mays Landing to the Queens/Astoria NY area; here are some more 3790 impressions.

In a nutshell - I still love it. :) I experienced one crash while browsing the map indoors, but it quickly rebooted. This seems to happen sometimes when you zoom way in while browsing.

Satellite acquisition was always very snappy. Driving all over the Queens area there were virtually no satellite issues. At one point I was stuck in traffic directly under the elevated railway and I lost signal briefly. It quickly locked back on when I emerged from the intersection. The instant wakeup from sleep mode to the same screen is just great on this unit.

I gave the traffic receiver another chance this trip, and I just don't feel the love. No reception on the NJ turnpike with the cord coiled by the lighter plug (doesn't surprise me). When I draped it over the rear view mirror, I got a signal, and it showed me a jam ahead (although there was no reasonable alternative anyway). But that is just too awkward and ugly for serious use. I am going to continue using the unit with the old nuvi 205 car cable. Too bad Garmin doesn't make a 3700 with a cell modem like the 1690, that might have interested me.

Route calculation is not especially fast, but not much of a problem either. It had no problem finding a number of addresses in the area. Seems to me that I had issues with addresses in the form 37-42 32nd St. in the past. But no problem now. The address entry keypad even has a dash (-) button now. I don't recall that from before... is it new? You can also enter this kind of address as 3742 32nd St and it works the same.

Seems like the trafficTrends routing was kicking in, since it sometimes routes you off main roads onto side streets, then back on to the main road further along (where the most obvious direct route would have been to continue on the main road). Recalculation is pretty quick when you make a wrong turn.

All the street labels are really helpful in an urban area. But sometimes, for no apparent reason, they aren't displayed. Then, without warning they will return. One nitpick is that while all the cross streets are usually displayed, adjacent streets running parallel to your route often are not named. In the city, I like using North Up map view. This prevents the map from randomly rotating and re-drawing if satellite lock is less than optimal.

I wish they hadn't buried these settings even deeper in the menus on the 3700. On older Nuvi's you would press Menu > Tools > Settings > Map > Map View. On the 3700 it's Menu > Tools > Settings > Navigation > Automobile > Map View. Guess it's a mixed bag, since it takes fewer steps to select a different map on the 3700 (Menu > Tools > Settings > My Maps).

One of the best things about this unit is the form factor. It's so thin and lightweight, and snaps out of the cradle so easily... it practically screams "take me with you!" when you get out of the car. :)

Sitting around my friends place we found a bunch of addresses which I was able to easily call up from the recently found items for routes when we got in the car. Easy to build multi stop routes using the Where To function in the car as well. I have pretty much decided that the trip planner doesn't suit my style and didn't use it at all this time. Not really an issue for me.

Used pedestrian mode for a 40 minute walk and it works fine, but maybe I'm missing something? It doesn't re-route you when you deviate. Maybe there's a manual option for this, honestly I didn't even check. It was obvious where we needed to go from just looking at the map, but it continues to prompt you with the wrong instructions even when you aren't using the route it calculates, which is a bit confusing. I just don't understand why pedestrian mode isn't more like a regular garmin handheld. Regardless, it was fine and again, the slim form makes it really pocketable. Battery life seems pretty decent for this kind of thing. A long day would be a problem, but for my use outside the car, the battery level only dropped a tiny amount. The instant on/off works really well for putting the unit in and out of your pocket.

I saw another junction view! Think is was my third or fourth since getting the 3790 about 3 weeks ago. This one was somewhere near LaGuardia Airport and Astoria Blvd.

From what I've seen so far, the myTrends feature looks like a solution in search of a problem. Leaving my home the other day without an active route, it continued to "suggest" that I go back home for the first 10 miles that I drove. Has anybody else found any use for this? I really don't need the GPS to suggest destinations for me.

On a very personal note, for me Garmin has redeemed themselves with this model. About 4 years ago I had a StreetPilot 2620 and this same young lady from Greece was staying with a friend in Astoria. The 2620 just couldn't handle the overhead railroad tracks and buildings - even using an external antenna - and we drove around in circles for quite awhile trying to find her friend's home. Very embarrassing when you're trying to be cool and make a good impression :oops: ! The next day, I went out and bought my first Nuvi (650). Fast forward to 2010 and she is back in the US. The 3790 has now guided us all around Manhattan and Astoria and she's impressed. Thank you Garmin for making me cool again! :lol:
  • mikealder 0 Points
    One thing that seems to be missing from all the posts in this thread is the "Eco Score" on the main nav screen:

In the above case I was running at the best speed for ecconomy so its showing a score of 99 with the leaf Green, what is very impressive is when you ascend a hill and the score drops. The same accelerometers in the 3790T are also used to slew the car on the display when cornering, best shown when "off road" in an area devoid of map coverage proving the movement of the car isn't just tied to the map:

Overall a great device, although I think a head to head review between the 3790T and the TomTom Go-1000 will make for interesting reading when they are both for sale (wait for September for that to get written though from what I have seen about the 1K elsewhere) - Mike
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The same accelerometers in the 3790T are also used to slew the car on the display when cornering, best shown when "off road" in an area devoid of map coverage proving the movement of the car isn't just tied to the map
    Very interesting - first time I've seen that suggested, thanks for posting! But, I don't think an accelerometer would be needed for that. The GPS position could also tell the unit which direction you're headed, couldn't it?

I did notice the ecoRoute stuff when I first setup my unit, but the additional screen clutter bothered me, so I cleared out the settings. If/when they make the 3700 compatible with ecoRoute HD, then I might get interested. :)
  • alanb 541 Points
    The same accelerometers in the 3790T are also used to slew the car on the display when cornering, best shown when "off road" in an area devoid of map coverage proving the movement of the car isn't just tied to the map
    Are you sure it is the accelerometer causing this effect, and not just the change in heading detected by navigation system (satellite positioning)? I will have to try it sometime with my older nuvi's ... maybe in the Walmart parking lot where there are no roads. I guess I have never noticed if the car icon skews when turning off road.
    Edit: looks like Boyd and I were thinking the same thing...he is a faster poster :)
  • mikealder 0 Points
    GPS at 1Hz isn't really quick enough to kick the view of the car sideways and even further sideways as you tighten a turn, a shopping mall car park is probably the best place to try this when its empty!

I tend to drive four or five miles per day on unmapped roads that are tarmac with plenty of bends in the road so I have had a few weeks watching this - Mike
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Mike, how has Garmin's 3790x routing compared so far with TomTom's IQR in GB? I figure you're eminently qualified to comment. There's not too many Garmin 37xx owners with a recent TomTom mounted by it's side to compare it with. 8)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Very cool, you are probably right about the GPS update as a limiting factor. Welcome to the site!
  • mikealder 0 Points
    Mike, how has Garmin's 3790x routing compared so far with TomTom's IQR in GB?
    To start with neither the IR Routes or the Garmin picks the exact route I use for the commute to work or my return trip, they are both right with what they offer but I tend to do my own thing depending upon the exact time of day (local knowledge based upon 28 years of driving the same route day after day).
    Both devices soon work out what I am doing and recalculate to my chosen route, if I follow the exact route offered by either the device there is less than a minutes difference to the actual journey time (based upon a week following the TomTom and a week following the Garmin with no local knowledge deviations). From this sort of test its difficult to pick the better device in terms of routing as neither unit offers a major step change over the other.

Where the 3790T does stand out is the 3D mapping with terain rendering and the 3D building support built in to the maps, the RDS-TMC simply works and is by far the best receiver for RDS in the UK that I have ever tried. The Garmin mount in the car is simple and effective although it will be getting attached to a Brodit/ Pro-Clip bracket when the "Garmin Ball" arrives, nothing wrong with the screen sucker its just that I don't like cables all over the car, so dash mounting lets me hide the cables.
    Add to the above the Eco routes feature and the ultra slim design of the 3790T, iPhone style screen "gestures" for zoom control and panning around the map or through the menu's and its easy to see how this unit makes a Go-950 Live look rather dated - Mike
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It really is a huge step forward for Garmin. The touchscreen still needs some tuning - I hope they don't let this slide. It's very nice, but I really have to "peck" at it sometimes, mainly to select menu items. This hardly ever happens on my iPhone.

Coming home from NY late last night with no traffic, my 3790's initial estimated arrival time for the 140 mile trip was only off by about 2 minutes. I was pretty impressed by that.

And instead of just being a gimmick (as I initially thought), the thin form factor of the 3700 series is really a big plus. Slip it in your pocket and you don't even know it's there. The pictures I saw of the Go 1000 look like it's much thicker, like the earlier models.

But for me, the biggest plus for Garmin is the ability to make my own maps, plus the huge selection of both free and commercial map products. TomTom is really only targeted for automotive use. In fairness however, that is what most people really want.
  • 6string 0 Points
    I've had my 3790t for about a week now, and while I've only had it on the road once, here are a few things I've observed.

It's not currently possible to upload a route from Mapsource to the 3790t. Mapsource reports the data uploaded successfully, but then it's nowhere to be found on the unit. Garmin tech support confirmed this, and said they're working on it for a firmware update.

Also, they seemed to have dumbed down the voice command ability. On my 880, I was able to access the tools menu, change settings, zoom in and out, etc. all using voice commands. I rarely had to touch the screen. On the 3790t, the voice commands are for navigating, volume, screen brightness, phone, and that's about it. No access to tools and settings, which means I'll be reaching up to touch the screen more often than I did with my 880. They should at least provide the ability to zoom in and out by voice commands. I have seen Garmin literature that makes reference to shortcut voice commands that can be used from any screen, but I’ve been unable to find what they are. Maybe that will come in an update.

I also wish they offered the option of turning off the voice prompts for the voice commands. Once you memorize the few commands it’s not necessary to be instructed what to say each time. Though the prompts are very short and that’s not really a biggie.

On the positive side, it understood my voice about 99% of the time while driving in my truck, so it’s at least as reliable as the 880 in that respect, without the hassle of the steering wheel button.

As others have noticed, if you add additional stops, it will not automatically optimize them for the most logical order. There is that option if it is a route saved using the trip planner, but I don’t see that option if you just selected a point of interest and add other points on the way. It automatically makes your most recent addition the first stop, even if it means passing the original stop. It then has you turn around and return to the original stop. That needs fixing.

As others have said, the graphics are stunning. The shaded 3D terrain is great. I live on Oahu, and seeing a realistic depiction of the hills and valleys gives a whole new perspective. My annual driving trips on the mainland should have a new look now, gps-wise. In addition, the movement of the vehicle on the screen looks much more fluid than on any other gps I’ve ever had.

I like the 3790t a lot, but I’m anxious for the updates to be released to hopefully refine the unit a bit.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I also wish they offered the option of turning off the voice prompts for the voice commands. Once you memorize the few commands it’s not necessary to be instructed what to say each time.
    You can disable the voice prompts: Tools>Voice Command>3Bar menu(top-left)>Settings>Mute Instructions: change to "Enabled"
  • 6string 0 Points
    Ah, you're right, I hadn't seen that. Thank you Serg. :)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Welcome, mikealder. Nice to see you here.