This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3790 dead!

Connected my unit to mygarmin to check for updates...
Found a software updata available, downloaded, installed; restarted the unit, reconnected, another software update...
10 times in a row, same thing, small updates...
After the last update, it won't power on, dead!
What can I do now?

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Something strange is definitely going on with your 3790, since you also were having problems here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/20817/x/p1/

You may have done something to corrupt the files on the unit. Or maybe there's a hardware problem. I'd say that it's time to contact Garmin and arrange for an exchange....
  • t923347 432 Points
    Assuming the battery isn't dead try holding down the power button for 30+ seconds as that will often kick the Nuvi back to life.

You can also try to force it into life by connecting it to the traffic receiver and turning your vehicle on.

Both these have methods have worked for me in the past.

If you get the unit working again, just forget about the update or if you really want it use WEBUPDATER and NOT myDashboard. You'll probably find there is no update at all.
  • done that on the craddle in the car and it's on now.
    But it's still finding software updates... and I'm already tired after 10+ downloads.
    Is it just my unit or there is a problem with the server?
    Yesterday I formatted the unit and restored an older backup file, so whatever I have messed up with the software is gone.
    But why is it finding software updates continuously on my dashboard?
    Web updater has one for the traffic receiver but it fails to download.
  • t923347 432 Points
    myDashboard has had this bug forever so that's why I suggested you don't use it.

The traffic update is bad as discussed in http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/20844/x/p1/
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    IMO, you are a little too anxious to install updates. Unless you are having a specific problem and the update is supposed to fix it, I would pass. I never install an update until I've read other users' experience. I did install one on my 3790 awhile ago, and I did not notice any difference afterwards.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.... :)
  • I know that, didn't try to fix anything but just like windows, keep updating...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well that was my point.... when you download an update, unless you're already aware of a problem, you are trying to fix something that's not broken. :)
  • roger that...
    thanks
  • what is the current best firmware level to use with the 3790t?

has there been a further fix for traffic?

Joel
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well what do you know.... looks like one just came out today...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5063

Changes made from version 2.50 to 3.60:
    Added support for the ecoRoute HD accessory.
    Added Garmin Language Guide support.
    Improved Language Translations.
    Improved reliability of sleep/wake operations.
    Improved myTrends route calculations to incorporate driving history and road preferences.
    Added Loc8 Postal Code functionality for Ireland.
    Added support for Arabic text to speech voice guidance.
    Added support for Trams, Ferries, and Trolleys in Pedestrian Navigation.
    Various bug fixes and improvements.
  • Still no routing capability between Mapsource and 3790t unit in the software update even though Garmin stated:
    29 July 2010
    Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
    "This is something that Garmin is considering to implement in the next
    software update for this sat nav model."

Very disappointed that its not in the update. :cry:
  • t923347 432 Points
    Actually Garmin has been saying for a couple of months now that the fix for the routes from Mapsource issue would be a firmware update in the 1st quarter of 2011. So don't get to disappointed, it's coming. :D
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Don't know what they said in the EU, but Garmin posted the following in their US knowledge base on Sept 14. But notice the caveat "current plans call for..." and we all know how plans can change. :)

Question:
    Will the nuvi 3700 series ever have the ability to transfer routes from MapSource into the device?

Answer:
    At this time the nuvi 3700 series does not have the ability to manually receive created routes from MapSource or any third party applications.

Garmin intends to add this functionality into the nuvi 3700 series via a software update sometime in the future. Current plans call for the update to be released in the first quarter of 2011.

The nuvi 3700 series does offer the functionality to manually create multiple point routes on the device itself through the Trip Planner feature listed under the Tools menu.

Last modified on: 09/14/2010