This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• Thanks for your quick reply Tim.

SciFi, since your work has generated so much interest, would you please arrange with Tim to have your file hosted by this site? If not, I have a site that I would be willing to use to host for this group, but I would prefer to have this site do it.
  • I just created this free account at Easy Share.

Try this for the latest (1-07-11) version:

http://www.easy-share.com/1913497775/DATA.zip

I've already modified the file extension, per SciFi's instructions. Please report back and let me know if it works. Thanks and good luck!
  • That is great, but Tim will just change the link again, since this site does not allow this type of linking.
  • Please, copy it to a place with unlimited downloads.

Version 1/5/2011:

1. Current street/address on the main screen
    2. Return to a vehicle icon from 1st version instead of the red vehicle text.
    3. Original software has a problem with saving vehicle type. A small code was added to fix it.
    4. Minor stability/usability improvements

http://[no links to file sharing services].com/files/440970044/DATA.zip
    Tim, does this not provide permission to post the file?

Version 1/5/2011:

3. Original software has a problem with saving vehicle type. A small code was added to fix it.

ThunderLizard i got your Im but i don't have privlage to reply yet. :)

I have uploaded the new file to the site and to download it use the link below

http://www.echofoxx.com/gps
  • Tim 1481 Points
    That gives me half of what I'm looking for. :)
  • DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE 1/7/2011 VERSION YET, PLEASE. I found an error. The VR icon disappears. I will upload a fix tomorrow.

Version 1/5/2011:

ThunderLizard the username is the whole name below. the pass word is what you know from previous.

FTP Username: gps@echofoxx.com
    FTP Server: ftp.echofoxx.com
    FTP Server Port: 21
    SFTP Server Port: 22
  • DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE 1/7/2011 VERSION YET, PLEASE. I found an error. The VR icon disappears. I will upload a fix tomorrow.
    upload to below:
    FTP Username: gps@echofoxx.com
    FTP Server: ftp.echofoxx.com
    FTP Server Port: 21
    SFTP Server Port: 22
    what is the VR icon?

what is the VR icon?
    I think the VR icon is the Voice Recognition Icon (the little microphone in the bottom left)
  • Version 1/8/2011:

Voice Recognition icon was hidden in the previous version. Now, it is visible again.

Data.zip (remove version text from name) is located at ftp.echofoxx.com
  • Version 1/8/2011:

Voice Recognition icon was hidden in the previous version. Now, it is visible again.

Data.zip (remove version text from name) is located at fpt.echofoxx.com
    You can get to this file by the link http://www.echofoxx.com/gps

what is the VR icon?

I think the VR icon is the Voice Recognition Icon (the little microphone in the bottom left)
    Weird. I installed the update before SciFi said not to, and my VR icon is still there. I will update the update, but I think it was OK anyway.
  • Version 1/8/2011:

I downloaded and compared to the old file (1-5-11) and it's the same??

I installed and there's no change. VR is gone, and "c:" shows up above the current time (?)
  • Version 1/8/2011:

I downloaded and compared to the old file (1-5-11) and it's the same??

I installed and there's no change. VR is gone, and "c:" shows up above the current time (?)
    Interesting , because it worked on mine. I don't know what's up, I would (no insult) maybe do a triple check on the versions.
  • Latest version 1-8-2011 file size is 12,189,778 bytes.

I downloaded it from the FTP server and I got the exact file size.
  • Well, don't shoot me for this, and I sure hope this wasn't the case all along, but when I ran through the settings I realized the following:

C: = Current Street

S: = Speed

N: = Next street (which is what shows on the top bar)

...which is what SciFi Dude wrote in his post on this latest revision (guess I need to read a little better!).

But here's the worst part...

as I was cycling through the rest of the unit settings, I noticed that I had turned off Voice recognition, which is why the VR Icon didn't show up. Sorry! :cry:

But I'm still having the problem with the vehicle resetting to an Emergency vehicle. Not sure what to do about that, but I'm certainly not complaining!
  • First of all, big thanks to SciFi and echofox!
    Minor bug: If the left hand window is open and a route is selected, tapping the screen (calls up enter destination, cancel trip, etc..) the current location will be on top of the cancel trip button.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Actually I find the "bug" happening even when tapping the main map screen without the Multi-View window open. First noticed this with V1/5/2011. Hopefully there is an easy X,Y fix.

More disappointing is my default vehicle continues to change for me after PND is shut down. Vehicle was going back to Emergency, but now going back to Taxi. I thought it was fixed with V1/5, but as it turns out it was not.

If someone has found the magic step-by-step procedure to stop this I wish they would post it. :)

Inclusion of Current Speed is a Big Plus! :D :D
  • Maybe there is a slight difference between units. I bought mine around Thanksgiving and have only added the latest update. I do not see the problem you describe. Maybe yours is older, more updates, etc. I would lean towards attacking it like any other Windows computer: weirdness can usually be fixed by a complete wipe and reinstall of the operating system. Since the operating system cannot be wiped, can the updates you have installed be removed and just the last one installed? Have you tried removing the file from SciFi, rebooting then resetting the unit, the adding the file back in? Sometimes this sort of procedure does work.
  • I'm going to try to reformat back to an earlier backup, and then add the latest SciFi skin and see how that works. I don't have many Favorites saved so it's not a big deal for me. (sure with I could locate the Favorites script in the programming tough. Would be nice to be able to back that up!)
  • Yeah, the inability to save just the favorites is stupid. Why would I need to back up the entire unit, anyway? I do it so I do not lose favorites, but a selective backup would be nice. My old Magelan would back up favorites to an SD card. that was nice.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Maybe there is a slight difference between units. I bought mine around Thanksgiving and have only added the latest update. I do not see the problem you describe. Maybe yours is older, more updates, etc. I would lean towards attacking it like any other Windows computer: weirdness can usually be fixed by a complete wipe and reinstall of the operating system. Since the operating system cannot be wiped, can the updates you have installed be removed and just the last one installed? Have you tried removing the file from SciFi, rebooting then resetting the unit, the adding the file back in? Sometimes this sort of procedure does work.

Well, mine is "pretty old" as I believe I bought it back last April. The updates that are currently available are the only ones Moto has provided since it came out. (Maybe there was a state or two updates?) I have been through a couple Master resets which took it back to out of the box status and I certainly don't want to do that again for the very reason stated by ThunderLizard - you lose all personal data. My next step is, as you suggested, to remove the SciFi skin and go back, but at this point only doing a soft reset. Then reinsert the SciFi zip file. Once I accomplish that I will report back. It seems to be an intermittent problem and as we all know those are the worst to pin down. It's not something one can adjust to, but a nuisance just the same.
  • Well, I went ahead and restored my unit to a backup from before the "60" software and Blue Tooth update (you folks with newer units may not have ever experienced this). Once I did so, and then went through the MotoExtras update process (update, disconnect, reboot, re-connect) for both updates, it is now working fine!
    No more issue with the car changing to an emergency vehicle, response is good ( but that's never been an issue), and satellite lock is fast. (on that note, Ive noticed an improvement in satellite lock since installing the SciFi skin. Maybe just a coincidence, but it seems faster!).

So, for all of you owners of older units, this seems to have corrected my issue. That would also explain why newer units aren't experiencing this, since they came updated from the factory.

Interesting to note: it appears the "restore" only replaces files that are backed up, and leaves additional files in tact. The SciFi skin was never removed, and was there in full function after doing my "restore".

All that was lost for me was a couple of favorites, but that's not a big deal for me, though it may be of some of you.
  • That is good news indeed. That shows it is a conflict with old and new software, and now a known way to fix it has been found. Good job, Thunderlizard.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @TL - Good to hear you are experiencing better performance after rolling back and forth, so to speak. I think I will hold off doing that but let me know if it is all still working in a couple days to your satisfaction.

I wish SciFi would jump in here with a little info or direction on how deal with the Favorites/Routes, etc. especially if there is some way to preserve them.

How is Traffic working for you? This past weekend I took a little trip down to Atlantic City and went through Philly twice and never saw any traffic problems whatsoever. TMC appeared to be working, but I'm thinking it is highly improbable there were no traffic problems in Philly on two different days and especially last Saturday when there were some weather problems. I don't get Navteq traffic in my locale so can't do any testing here. At the time I was running SciFi v1/5.
  • I've had no traffic issues to speak of, but then again, the NavTeq traffic is kind of weak anyway. Seems like I get data fairly frequently but it is often outdated. Took a decent trip last Friday and all seemed "normal" (for this unit). I would absolutely love to be able to add Clear Channel at some point. I'll just keep wishing... :(
  • That is good news indeed. That shows it is a conflict with old and new software, and now a known way to fix it has been found. Good job, Thunderlizard.
    Thanks! (we are a "Full Service" establishment! It is our goal to please... :) )
  • Is there anyway you can cut off a little bit of the lower blue bar, it seems to be going over the speed symbol on the bottom right hand side?

Not that big of deal but in the interest of perfection, i think this will add to the organized and polished theme.
  • Hi SiFi
    your skin is awsome sir, I am getting some wierd text for the N: as in next street, it is showing Cr-42?A)CR 42? the question marks have boxes around them and the A has a line on top of it, this appears when a route is active.
    Also wanted to mention the fact that the motonav still sees my home address as 662 when in fact it is 695, thats 33 units out, any way to fix this?
    if it sees my home this far out of wack how can we trust it 1500 miles away ?
    thanks for your skin, I appreaciate your work and efforts, the motonav tool is useless, think the folks at motorola forgot they have it to post updates to.
  • I am aware that the "N:" option doesn't work well. Maybe, in the next version. The only potential usage for this now, I see, is when the text is too long to fit in the regular header blue bar.

Address: no way to fix it. but, the problem is with all GPS units. I wouldn't worry about 30 units as long as the GPS address and real address are not further apart than, let's say, 100-200 ft.

Battery saving mode: sorry, but too difficult to do.

How to backup your personal data:
    1. There is an instruction on one of the forums how get access to the unit using a script, replacing original exe, etc
    2. So, when you get access to the unit, you will see a GPSPARAM drive and a Save folder.
    3. Copy the Save folder to the standard drive (with maps and exe)
    4. Connect to PC, copy data from the standard drive.
  • dhave 0 Points
    I'm not an expert, but here are some guesses.
    Hi SiFi
    your skin is awsome sir, I am getting some wierd text for the N: as in next street, it is showing Cr-42?A)CR 42? the question marks have boxes around them and the A has a line on top of it, this appears when a route is active.
    Could this have something to do with road designations in Canada as opposed to the U.S. system?
    Also wanted to mention the fact that the motonav still sees my home address as 662 when in fact it is 695, thats 33 units out, any way to fix this?
    Every GPS I've used shows my home address 100-200 yards off. It's annoying, but I guess that's how it goes. I set home using current location, which shows up with the wrong street address but accurately pinpoints my house.

I trust the military has better equipment.
    thanks for your skin, I appreaciate your work and efforts, the motonav tool is useless, think the folks at motorola forgot they have it to post updates to.
    Nope, they haven't forgotten. Read the threads about the current status of Motonav products.

You're right that SciFi's work is superb. He came along at just the right time.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    RE:

One needs to understand how mapping purveyors do it. Here is a site where you can see how Navteq does it.
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/making-navteq-maps-a1038.php

Keep in mind they do not drive down every single street or road in the world. In many neighborhoods they use an algorithm that computes the street addresses. Not every parcel of land is always the same size and that can easily throw off a particular house number matching up with the correct parcel.

Or as in my neighborhood which consists of 3 parallel streets, two of which have house numbers running from low to high starting at the nearest county road, but my street (for whatever reason) runs the opposite way, high to low. My house is never in the right location, but in one respect that is a good thing. If I set my Home location on the gps according to my correct address in actuality it is about a quarter mile away at the home of one mean and nasty Ex-Marine with lots of guns. If my gps is ever stolen and the cretins decide to come rob my house I hope he is home. :lol: :lol:
  • I made a few changes to SciFi's DATA.zip.
    I hope this is ok.

1. I moved the mph to the top with color background for easier reading. It remains on all the time.

2. Added color background behind current street and next street.

3. Changed the font sizes and spacing in the bottom bar for Time , ETA and other information.

4. Changed icon for muted sound.

5. shortened blue bar at bottom right, no longer covers speed limit sign.

Let me know what you think....... 8)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    RAMRODSR - Welcome to the fray.

Your changes are interesting adaptions. Personally I would prefer to lose as little map real estate as possible. I would like to see the bottom details bar used differently. If you lose the current date and the Avoids info and put the current speed centered in the lower bar that would be my preference. I just don't see a need for the date and avoids, the latter pretty much never changes. The larger font is a good thing. "Next street" at the bottom I feel is redundant info. Current street/number is appreciated.

I would like to know which file(s) are being modified as I would like to poke around myself.
  • Spyder63

I agree. I like don't have a need for the Next street, that info comes across the map screen and the top bar. I leave mine set to current street. I do like the current street with numbers and the speed. That could be changed to the way you preferred to have them. Everyone has their own preference. Thanks again to SciFi for getting this ball rolling. It appears Motorola has left us swimming in the Mud.....Questions?

email: stevesvictory@gmail.com
  • RAMRODSR - Welcome to the fray.

Your changes are interesting adaptions. Personally I would prefer to lose as little map real estate as possible. I would like to see the bottom details bar used differently. If you lose the current date and the Avoids info and put the current speed centered in the lower bar that would be my preference. I just don't see a need for the date and avoids, the latter pretty much never changes. The larger font is a good thing. "Next street" at the bottom I feel is redundant info. Current street/number is appreciated.

I would like to know which file(s) are being modified as I would like to poke around myself.
    +1
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Let me add that my comments on RAMRODSR changes to SciFi's skin in certainly not a criticism of his (SciFi's) work. He got us going down a new, exciting path with our Moto's and I'm sure we are all hoping he will continue to offer us enhancements. As was expressed it is hard to keep everybody happy with what data we see or where it is seen on the screen. I am one of those guys that likes to experiment and move things around, change parameters, etc., to see how it behaves and if I like it. Hell, sometimes it takes me 2 years to decide on which new car I want to buy! I'm not a code monkey, but I can figure out the syntax as well as the next guy.

I would really like to be pointed to the names of the files to be modified and start groping for myself and see what shakes out. Others might as well.

:D
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ RAMRODSR - thanks for taking a poke at it. Are you going to host the file somewhere so we can download it? Personally, I like the modification you did. I believe the blue background will make it easier to see (IMHO!).

If you need a posting site, I've set one up and can email you the login once I get home this evening.

Thanks! :)
  • You know, as people begin to build on the SCIFI2000 skin, I can't help but think of a quote from James Watt, after unveiling a successful version of the steam engine, but being questioned on "borrowing" some of his ideas from other scientists working on the same thing:

"If I have seen further than most men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants!". :)

(Not much different than Bill Gates seeing the first working mouse when he visited IBM as a kid...)

You go, RAMRODSR! This is starting to become "Open Source" code! Ha! LINUX, here we come!!! :shock:
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ RAMRODSR - thanks for taking a poke at it. Are you going to host the file somewhere so we can download it? Personally, I like the modification you did. I believe the blue background will make it easier to see (IMHO!).

If you need a posting site, I've set one up and can email you the login once I get home this evening.

Thanks! :)
    I guess we can always fork the skin, and keep 2 versions going.
    I vote for minimalistic and super info versions.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You know, as people begin to build on the SCIFI2000 skin, I can't help but think of a quote from James Watt, after unveiling a successful version of the steam engine, but being questioned on "borrowing" some of his ideas from other scientists working on the same thing:

"If I have seen further than most men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants!". :)

(Not much different than Bill Gates seeing the first working mouse when he visited IBM as a kid...)

You go, RAMRODSR! This is starting to become "Open Source" code! Ha! LINUX, here we come!!! :shock:
    Ah, TL, you are the epitome of the eternal optimist and I am in no way faulting you for that. We need people like you in this world that see the glass as always half full. I, on the other hand, tend to be the eternal pessimist and the glass is often half empty. The old addage that came to my mind was "A camel is a horse designed by a committee.". :wink: :lol: :lol:
  • I am neither an optimist nor a pessimist, but a realist.

The cup is currently at 50% rated capacity!

Ha! (what's the safety factor?? :wink: )
  • You know, as people begin to build on the SCIFI2000 skin, I can't help but think of a quote from James Watt, after unveiling a successful version of the steam engine, but being questioned on "borrowing" some of his ideas from other scientists working on the same thing:

Ah, TL, you are the epitome of the eternal optimist and I am in no way faulting you for that. We need people like you in this world that see the glass as always half full. I, on the other hand, tend to be the eternal pessimist and the glass is often half empty. The old addage that came to my mind was "A camel is a horse designed by a committee.". :wink: :lol: :lol:
    Guilty as charged! As I got into my car for an appt a few minutes ago, I thought "hmmm, kinda liked that RAMRODSR looking skin! Might like to give it a try!"

Regardless of the version preferred, I'm just tickled that we have some activity on the thing! I'm one of those folks who changed their Nuvi vehicle from time to time, just for something different! I love options! (Which is why I originally went for the Navigon! :shock: ). I say, the more people we have working on "skins" the better!

Hey! Speaking of camel...where's MyCamel been?? Aren't you guys radio buddies? :idea:

Thats what the coaster and napkin are for.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I am neither an optimist nor a pessimist, but a realist.

Thats what the coaster and napkin are for.

@chaimav - That's a good one. I like it!

@TL - No idea what happened to Mahammel the Camel. Can't remember the last time he reared his furry head. I had his call sign written down somewhere. I should try to find it and see what he is up to. Hopefully nothing harmful. Strange things tend to happen in towns named Roswell. :shock:

Update: I sent Camel an email. Asked him to pop back in as we had new developments.
  • Here's the file from last nights post available for download from my google docs page.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxLFSMPz25ohOTZjY2FiM2YtM2IxNy00OTgxLTk3NzgtZjZlMzM4NTczNDI0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50&authkey=CN3Xz8MJ

Let me know how it goes!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I assume we need to remove the "(4)" from the file name prior to placing on the TN765?

DATA(4).zip