This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My Review of the 2360 LMT

I have an older Nuvi that I'm happy with but my wife (who thought GPSs were a childish waste of money when I bought our first one) wants one in both cars, so I decided to get the 2360LMT. For most people it is probably fine. For my use I have a third party program that puts a lot of data in Points of Interest that I use constantly. The program won't work with this new unit, and for me, more than half the value of a Nuvi is this POI feature, so I'll be asking the vendor to graciously take it back.

I've only fussed with it for a day, but it's not obvious to me what the advantages are over my older unit other than voice commands. It's thinner but only slightly so. For my use the touch commands are clumsier, but maybe that only requires some getting use to. However, since I'll be going back and forth between it and the old one 'getting use to' may be a problem. The touch sensitivity doesn't seem as good as on the old one. On the positive side the voice recognition seems to work well. By that I mean it does a pretty good job of understanding what you say. The number of things you can control with voice commands; however, is somewhat limited. For example, you can't use it for Points of Interest at all, and it's so clumsy for Favorites I don't imagine many people will use it for that. So, you can't say, Restaurant or Hospital. But, for entering an address it works well. It doesn't seem faster in real use in the car, but response when connected to your computer is markedly faster.

The older unit has one nag screen at each startup. That screen goes away if you wait long enough. The new unit has added a second nag screen to startup that won't go away until you click "I Agree" to all the legalese every time you start the unit -- a real PIA. You start the car, pull out into traffic and realize it's not working. So, you look away from traffic, find and click the "I agree" button, after that the "Don't try to operate this device while the car is moving" warning pops up. Gee.

All in all, unless you want the voice recognition feature (which, with practice, is probably nice) I say get one of the older cheaper models.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Are you sending POI's or routes? I would be surprised if you couldn't send POI's, although I suspect they don't show on the screen (like the 3700 series). The 2300 series is currently not compatible with route transfer, but Garmin has promised an update to fix this by the end of March.

Although POI's don't show (or so I am told - I don't use them myself), favorites (aka waypoints) should show on the screen. I believe you should be able to convert your POI's to favorites using a program like GPSBabel.

The software nag screen should go away all by itself and never be seen again. On my 3790, it didn't go away until I'd used the unit for a day or two for some reason.

The 2360 has a dual orientation screen - have you tried that feature? I really like using my 3790 in portrait mode since it shows much more of the road ahead.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Are you sending POI's or routes? I would be surprised if you couldn't send POI's . . ).
    As I explained, these POIs are generated using a special third party utility. These are not ordinary POI files. And yes, I'm sure they don't work right or I wouldn't be returning the unit and paying a restocking fee.

Maybe the new nag screen will go away after a few days but I'll never know.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    What was the "special third party utility"?
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    What was the "special third party utility"?
    To be clear. I'm not criticizing the unit or Garmin for this incompatibility.

If you're familiar with geocaching. There is a program widely used in geocaching called GSAK. An individual has written a macro that works with this program that puts lists of caches and associated data in Nuvi POIs. It works on a wide variety of older models, but has not been brought up to today. It works partly on this unit, but not sufficiently for the purpose I use it.

If someone who uses Nuvis with this macro would like a more complete explanation I'm happy to provide it.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    GSAK hasn't worked properly since 2009 has it? Have you tried using Garmin's POI Loader instead?
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    The macro uses Garmin's POI loader as part of the process and it works right on my current Nuvi and on everybody's I know of.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Gotcha. I don't use GSAK, instead sending direct to my Garmin Dakota from Geocaching.com
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Do you get the logs? This method has the cache description, the hints and a collection of logs.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Yes I do.
  • hermes 91 Points
    Is there any way to use a 760 for geocaching? My grandson is serious geocaching kid
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I don't have any interest in geocaching, but I know there are a number of people that use GSAK, the program that was mentioned above, on the Nuvi. Visit their website here: http://www.gsak.net/
  • alanb 539 Points
    Is there any way to use a 760 for geocaching? My grandson is serious geocaching kid
    This is off topic for this thread, so you might want to check this thread http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/144123/ and continue the discussion there.
  • I am not happy with the display of the traffic on the display of the roads themselves... maybe I am missing something?

I expected to see the road ahead to be colored according to the traffic there: red=BAD, yellow=moderate, green=wide open, etc... instead I see the round icon that indicates... what? Traffic where I am? Traffic down the road I am on? Traffic where I am navigating to?

I just don't understand.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If you read your manual you'll find that if you tap the traffic icon you can then view the 'traffic map' and see the traffic on route etc. I'm not sure whether it works exactly like the 14xx series, but this also colours the roads on the normal navigation map display if there is traffic on route.

You should also see the delay on route within the traffic icon.

So there is/should be lots of info available ... whether it's accurate or not is an entirely different matter :?
  • I have read the manual and I have clicked the icon (I'm not an idiot). I just think the implementation stinks. Like on Google Maps on my android phone the roads should indicate traffic on the regular moving map... why not?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    On the 14xx series you do see different road colourings depending on traffic on the navigational (moving) map, the 2xxx series seems to be different.

As for reading the manual, the way you asked your question seemed to indicate you hadn't ... :?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    On my 1695 the roads with reported traffic delays are also colored appropriately, red or yellow depending on severity. No necessarily just the requested route, but also in the surrounding area in the map view.