This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Update to NT 2012.10, MapSource and my Laptop

I'm currently downloading and updating my Nuvi with NT 2012.10. I am also downloading the map update to my desktop for use with MapSource.

I have a laptop I use while traveling and it has MapSource installed. The laptop has the older NT 2011.40 maps loaded as well and I want to update the maps on my laptop to 2012.10

Question: in order to get the map update for NT 2012.10 to my laptop, can I just copy the files from my desktop after the update to 2012.10 - located in /ProgramData/Garmin/Maps to the same location on my laptop vs. having to re-download the map update to my laptop?

Comments

• SergZak 340 Points
    I believe that will work but since I've never actually done it, you'll have to try it yourself unless somebody can verify for you.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I also believe it will work as your planning on doing it.

In the future when you update the maps to the GPS, click on "install options" in one of the screen that appear in the Garmin's updater program. Select the option to put the maps on your Nuvi and the Computer and leave the default map location folder as listed. This will put the maps into ProgramData/Garmin/Maps without you having to take the extra step of moving them off your Desktop to that location and it also makes them immediately available to Mapsource.
  • Boyd 1997 Points
    edited June 2011
    Older versions of Garmin maps required modification to the Windows registry, making it difficult to move files between computers. I read somewhere that this is no longer the case with City Navigator but have not verified it myself.

However, see this FAQ in Garmin's map installation forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=17099
    How do I copy my map installation from one PC to another?

The easiest way to do this ... is to copy the maps data folder

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Garmin\Maps\City Navigator North America NT 2011.40.gmap

(where %ALLUSERSPROFILE% depends on your version of Windows, customization etc).

to the same location on other PCs. You then also have to copy the map unlock code to the other PC's as well. Unlock codes are saved in .gma files in the %APPDATA%\Garmin\Maps

(where %APPDATA% depends on your version of Windows, customization etc).

folder. You may have more than one .gma file. If so just copy them all to other PC's.

PS: The map folder is large (1.7GB for CN NA NT 2011.40) so it can take some time to copy everything over.

PPS: You can open a Windows Command Prompt and enter the SET command to find out what

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%
    %APPDATA%
    %TEMP%

translate to.

PPPS: Or one can simply paste %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\... into the adress bar of an explorer window and press enter. Then windows will do the "translation" automatically.

It also works in the Start -> Run box.
    If you try this, please check back in and let us know if it works.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Ops, sorry missed that you are using 2 computers. :oops:
  • mstuniek 0 Points
    Hi,
    Sure that is possible, look at:
    http://www.javawa.nl/index.html
    and use under software; JaVaWa GMTK 1.3
    The text is dutch, but you can install in english.
    Ronald
  • t923347 432 Points
    Looks like an interesting program. Here is the Intro page in English:

Doesn't appear to be a copyright violation product but simply a method managing your maps. I was concerned about the import of unlock codes features and in particular the Import unlock codes from other user profile but the help file looks innocent enough:
    When your Windows user profile doesn't have administrator privileges, the installers of MapSource, BaseCamp and the maps will run under another user profile that has administrator privileges (in that case Windows will ask you for an administrator password). When the installer runs MapSource or BaseCamp for the first time (a default option), those will be run under the other user profile also.
    The result of this could be that the unlock code gets stored in the "wrong" user profile! When running MapSource for a second time (under your own user profile), you will get the message that the maps are locked...

JaVaWa GTMK can search the other user profiles for unlock codes for you, and copy these (when not already there) to your own user profile. After this MapSource and BaseCamp will be able to use the maps.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Update

Just used the JaVaWa program to transfer City Navigator 2012.10 and 4 Topo Maps to my wife's new laptop. Installed Mapsource, and when it fired up it found the topo maps without any further intervention on my part but needed me to point to the c:/Program Data/Garmin/Maps folder in order to find and make available the City Navigator maps. Overall a pretty easy process.

Note, the help files do recommend that you use the restore function to put the maps on the new PC prior to installing Mapsource, Basecamp and/or Road Trip (Mac).
  • Lilla 0 Points
    In the future when you update the maps to the GPS, click on "install options" in one of the screen that appear in the Garmin's updater program. Select the option to put the maps on your Nuvi and your computer and ...
    Select the option to install the maps on your device and your Computer.
    and, Check the box “Leave installation files on my computer”.

The installation files are stored here

For XP "C\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\IMG"
    For VISTA "C\USERS\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\IMG"
    For Windows 7 <same as for Vista>
    For Mac ????

The installation files can be used to install the maps on a 2nd computer.
    Copy IMG (about 2 gig for full N. America) folder to other PC then run "CNNANT2011_40Update.msi".
    Resource http//www.poi-factory.com/node/32318
  • popej 57 Points
    Actually IMG directory contains full unpacked map, that can be simply copied to right place. Msi file do this and install Mapsource too.

It is worth noting, that Mapsource has export and import of unlock codes and import of gma files (Utilities -> Manage map products -> Unlock regions). This makes second installation easier. You can export unlock codes from first installation and import in second. Gma files can be imported from nuvi.

Alternatively you can unlock copied map on-line on garmin site https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm ( or in Mapsource: Utilities -> Manage map products -> Map product information -> Unlock online).