This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Trying to register my 2nd hand Nuvi 265wt

Hi all....I just purchased a Nuvi 265wt from a local pawn shop. It works great and I've updated the maps , used it on a long trip without a hitch and all is well....except that I can't register it along with my other Garmin products as it was registered with the original owner.

Should I try to contact Garmin and see if they will "unregister" it from the previous owner? What is the proper way to go about this?

*take it easy on the noob, will ya? ;^)

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Comments

• blupupher 91 Points
    Just curious how you were able to update the map if you could not register it??? :roll:
    You have to be logged in and registered in MyGarmin to download/install map updates.

Garmin will not unregister it from the original owner unless it is the original owners request. Not sure if Garmin would contact the registered owner of it for you or not.

The chances of this being a stolen GPS are very, very high.
    It could be legit, but the only way would be to contact the pawn show and have them contact the "owner" that sold it to them to see if they would unregister it. If you request Garmin to check, it may show up as stolen (not sure if garmin keeps track or lets you report a stolen GPS).
  • blupupher 91 Points
    oops, past my edit time.

From Garmins site:
    How do I transfer the registration to my name if I purchased my device from an individual?

If you purchase a device second hand from an individual and the unit is already registered to that person, you will see a message appear that states "The serial number you have entered has already been registered" when trying to register it to a separate myGarmin account. You will need to contact that person directly to have the device removed from their account so you can then register it to your own account. The original owner can simply delete the registered device from their account thus opening it up to be registered on a new account. ...
    From here: https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={ef019dc0-f1fe-11dc-7b6e-000000000000}
  • popej 57 Points
    Just curious how you were able to update the map if you could not register it??? :roll:
    You have to be logged in and registered in MyGarmin to download/install map updates.
    No, he needs a nuvi connected to PC and GarminMapUpdater. If he has 2 nuvis, than he can already have updater for his first device. Actually, if previous owner remove nuvi from his account, new owner will be able to register it but updates will be lost.
  • blupupher 91 Points

No, he needs a nuvi connected to PC and GarminMapUpdater. If he has 2 nuvis, than he can already have updater for his first device. Actually, if previous owner remove nuvi from his account, new owner will be able to register it but updates will be lost.
    So your saying I can take any nuvi (like my 255 with 2009 maps) and hook it up to my computer and GarminMapUpdater (Never heard of this, just WebUpdater?) and use my 2012 maps from my 1350 I just got on the 255? Didn't think that was possible, or am I reading it wrong?

I thought only registered products could receive map updates from Garmin.
  • barndoor 0 Points

I have a Nuvi 200 also...and an Edge 305 registered with Garmin. I have the downloader on my computer, as well. I plugged this new one into my laptop and it recognized the 265wt and let me download the newest city maps. (I paid the one time fee) .

I'll contact the pawn shop and ask them to contact the seller about unregistering the unit.....

Thanks,
    Chris
  • sussamb 813 Points
    @blupupher

Webupdater updates your software, MapUpdater updates your maps :wink:

And I think you did read it wrong, you can't use a map subscription on one unit to dowload maps to a second one, would be nice if you could though :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I plugged this new one into my laptop and it recognized the 265wt and let me download the newest city maps. (I paid the one time fee)
    Well that does make sense. Garmin is happy to sell you a map, no matter where you got the GPS. :lol:
  • blupupher 91 Points
    Ahh, so you can buy a new map and install it on the GPS without it being registered. Got it.
    I looked on Garmins site and don't see a "MapUpdater" download, is it just something you get when you buy a map?

But still, the only way you will be able to register it is if the person who it is registered to logs in and unregisters it.
    I doubt Garmin will help you out with that, so really your only hope is the Pawn Shop has the owners info and can get ahold of them for you.
    Good luck with it, but in reality, the only thing you can't do is update the firmware (or can you?), so not registering it is not a huge deal. Being an older model any firmware updates (if any) probably will be very minor things.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Probably not a big deal if you don't register. We did have another thread here where the police showed up at somebody's door and confiscated a stolen GPS that they had (unknowingly) bought however. Seems pretty unlikely though.

But you can buy a new 265wt for a bit over $100 and that would be legitimate and include the new maps and warranty. What does the one time update cost, $40? If so, then I hope you paid less than $60 the pawn shop special since there are obvious advantages to buying a new one. :)
  • popej 57 Points
    I looked on Garmins site and don't see a "MapUpdater" download, is it just something you get when you buy a map?
    You get GarminMapUpdater from mygarmin, when you accept offered update, like the one from nüMaps Guarantee. But updater is not device specific and will work for other nuvis too. It checks nuvi connected to PC then ask Garmin server about updates for this nuvi and download if any exist. Or you can provide product key, if you bought any update.