This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Releases New 'Onboard' Turn-By-Turn GPS Apps for iOS

t923347 432 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Garmin Releases New 'Onboard' Turn-By-Turn GPS Apps for iOS today. See http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/02/garmin-releases-new-onboard-turn-by-turn-gps-apps-for-ios/ for details.

Three versions of StreetPilot Onboard are available:

- Garmin U.S.A. ($39.99): Lower 49 states plus a number of Caribbean islands
- Garmin N. America ($49.99): United States, Canada, Mexico, and a number of Caribbean islands
- Garmin UK & Ireland (£44.99): Full maps of Great Britain, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands, with coverage of major cities in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Comments

• Hmm, If this is like all other app, it could be nice to be able to have this on my 2 iPhones and my iPod Touch (and even possibly a iPad if I ever get one) all for 1 low price.

I am wondering if it will get continual free map updates?
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Garmin's iOS apps use a server-based map approach which means the maps are fed to the device over the data service while you drive. In theory, the maps are always up-to-date.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Garmin's iOS apps use a server-based map approach which means the maps are fed to the device over the data service while you drive. In theory, the maps are always up-to-date.
    But that isn't what the new Garmin iOS app does-- it stores the maps locally on the GPS, thus the 1.6 GB app size.