This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Source for Garmin map updates?

I bought a Nuvi 1450LMT a couple of days ago. This thing is out of the park! Very accurate; when passing a street intersection, the vehicle symbol is dead on. The speed shown is 1-2mph less than indicated on the speedometer, and I thought the unit was off. Then I remembered that the speedometer reads 1-2mph too fast!

I downloaded and installed all of software, firmware, and map updates when I got it. There is a new road extension I drove on yesterday. Opened a couple of months ago. The unit does not recognize the road. How are the maps updated? Do they wait for the state to come out with road changes, Rand McNally changes, somebody driving around looking for changes, Input from the public?

Just curious.

Comments

• kenp 92 Points
    I think that how Navteq gets updated map data is one of those things mankind is not meant to know. How they decide when to add new stuff to their maps is certainly unkown.

They do have a web site where you can tell them about errors/additions. And I've seen a Navteq van prowling the streets. Besides that, I'd guess that they keep up with state maps and construction projects.

Ken
  • Garmin gets their maps from Navteq (http://www.navteq.com/).
    Garmin maps are about 6 months behind the most current Navteq maps since Garmin has to add POI's and other things to make them work with the Garmin devices.
    You can register with Navteq and report changes and additions, but it can vary from a few month till the change shows up to never for some.

I have reported a new road (actaully a connection between 2 segments about 2 miles long) back in April (completed in February), but it still shows "in progress" on their site, even though their satellite pics show the road there (and Google maps shows the road).

At this point, the earliest it will show up on Garmins maps is probably April of next year, but I am not holding my breath.
  • t923347 432 Points
    How are the maps updated? Do they wait for the state to come out with road changes, Rand McNally changes, somebody driving around looking for changes, Input from the public?

Just curious.
    Probably "all of the above" except for Rand McNally. They certainly take input from the public as mentioned in other posts. They also drive around with a fleet of vehicles equipped with hi-tech equipment that is recording all the data needed for map updates. Actually parked beside one of these units at the M Resort in Las Vegas back in April. They also probably take input from state or local authorities.
  • Streets aren't too bad, but restaurants I reported as wrong as far back as Dec. 2009 are still wrong. I don't bother anymore.