This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

260W Continued Relevancey

New poster, bought a 260W last summer for a trip back East. Amazed at its performance and abilities. Can't imagine being without it. Picked it up from factoryoutlet.com in NY as a refirb and have never regretted it. Realizing the transientness of any electronic device, just wondering of the continued relevance of the 260W and Garmin's plans to continue with update support. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    The 2x0 series was discontinued from active sales promotion in Feb. 2009. However, Garmin has a good reputation for continuing support on discontinued models. I wouldn't expect to see any new firmware updates, but you can still buy map updates for the unit, and call Garmin Customer Service if you have a problem with it.
  • Thanks, alanb, I'm hoping we can still get the updates over time. Just now downloading/installing map updates. Hadn't gotten any since the initial turn-on last summer after purchase. Have had no problems with it the last year though Saturday it "froze" in Colorado Springs and I had to turn it off and back on to get it working again. That never happened before. So far it's been a valuable companion.
  • alanb 539 Points
    An occasional freeze up or spontaneous reboot is not uncommon for most nuvi's including the new models. Sometimes it is caused by errors in the map data.
  • It's been a good trooper for the year+ we've used it and that's the only glitch that's occurred so there must be very few errors in its database. Thankfully! Thanks for responding.
  • I have a 260 that I still use. Aside from having older maps (I was lucky to find a deal on e-bay with somebody selling a 2010.40 SD card for cheap to upgrade my 2009 maps) I have had no issues with it.
    My wife has a 255w with 2011.30 maps and my mother in law just got a 1350 with 2012.10 and I see no differences in the maps and routing.
    My 255w has had 2-3 times on long trips (400+ miles) where it locked up on me in the past 18 months. I just rebooted it and all was good.