This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Do you leave your mount in your car? Or do you take it off?

Hi

I am wondering how many people take off their mount once they leave the car? Or do you leave the mount and just take the GPS unit off and store in the trunk or something?

I am kinda debating what to do. I am just using the suction cub mount that came with my device.

At first I just took the whole thing off. But now I am wondering if I should just take off the GPS unit.

The advantage of that is once I have it in an area that I like I don't have to worry about it anymore(don't need to readjust every time).

The disadvantage is people can see that I have a GPS possibly somewhere in the car(in my case would be the trunk) and might try to break in and find it.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    I know it's not in your survey but many of us use a "bean bag mount". When we leave the car, the mount goes on the floor and the GPS in pocket or purse. A lot more convenient than leaving the windshield mount on all the time or taking it off and putting it back on.
  • BruceMcK 81 Points
    My car is not a daily driver and I park in an underground apartment lot, so other people can see the mount if I leave it in the car. If I am heading into a store to shop briefly, I will take the GPS but leave the windshield mount and charger.

If I am leaving the car overnight or for a long time, I put the mount and charger out of sight in the glove compartment, and take the GPS with me. It just removes visual cues that there may be a GPS in the car.

I do some volunteer community work and often work with the police. People frequently complain that their car gets broken into for something small, even small change left visible in the car. The cops' answer is that a lot of theft from autos is drug driven and even small change will go a long way to their next hit. We like to think that criminals are stupid, but they know how to do their job and they know what they can easily steal and fence. Their recommendation is don't leave even the smallest items visible in a car that someone may want to rip off, and don't leave anything even hidden in your car that you do not want to lose. Even after that explanation too many people will still say "yeah but it was only small change".

It's a PITA to plug the thing in and re-attach the mount, but less of a PITA than an insurance claim and fixing a car after a smash & grab.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    My car is not a daily driver and I park in an underground apartment lot, so other people can see the mount if I leave it in the car. If I am heading into a store to shop briefly, I will take the GPS but leave the windshield mount and charger.

If I am leaving the car overnight or for a long time, I put the mount and charger out of sight in the glove compartment, and take the GPS with me. It just removes visual cues that there may be a GPS in the car.

I do some volunteer community work and often work with the police. People frequently complain that their car gets broken into for something small, even small change left visible in the car. The cops' answer is that a lot of theft from autos is drug driven and even small change will go a long way to their next hit. We like to think that criminals are stupid, but they know how to do their job and they know what they can easily steal and fence. Their recommendation is don't leave even the smallest items visible in a car that someone may want to rip off, and don't leave anything even hidden in your car that you do not want to lose. Even after that explanation too many people will still say "yeah but it was only small change".

It's a PITA to plug the thing in and re-attach the mount, but less of a PITA than an insurance claim and fixing a car after a smash & grab.
    Ya this is what I am thinking. I mean I know that even if they see $2 they will go for it.

I would not leave the gps even in my trunk of my car if I am at home. I mean it is not that much effort to take it inside vs putting in the trunk.

I am more thinking of when I am out and might not be back for hours of time(but most likely not overnight).
  • I leave both mine in the vehicle, but they are not mounted on the widshield.
    In my car I have the suction cup stuck to the dash over where my tachometer is just above the steering wheel. I just put a towel over the steering wheel/dash and you can't see it, looks like I am just covering my steering wheel to keep it cool (which I am also).
    My van is mounted on the center console, and kep covered with a towel, so you can't even tell it is there. My wife primarily listens to directions, so it is fine there for her.
  • Bean bag here too
    I usually move it and the gps to floorboard before I get to my destination

Harder to see into my big EXCURSION than most
  • After having the GPS fall, and hit the dash (Radio/ HVAC area) for the ~20th time. This eventually cracked the LCD screen (got it repaired for ~$50 at sharc net). I glued the suction cup mount, to the permanent dash (disk) mount, on my dash. Its not fallen off sence (more than a year).
    If leaving this in my car is too risky, than, this location is too risky to park.
  • rus 0 Points
    I place the bean bag on the floor under the passenger seat and put the GPS unit in the storage area of the center arm rest along with the cable. No visible evidence.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Beanbag, gps and all, goes on the floorboard during the day. GPS comes in at night.

Most of the time.

If I remember. :)
  • SkipD 91 Points
    I typically hide the GPS or stick it in the wife's purse, but the mount stays on the dash - usually with a hat and sunglasses over it.
  • I stay at motels in the Chicago area frequently. I just take the GPS and Ipass off and into my room, usually. The Ipass has adhesive Velcro to hold it so there's no hiding the fact that I have one somewhere and usually the suction cup leaves a ring on the windshield which is visible evidence that I have GPS somewhere. If they break in, I hope they bust the windshield. After 150,000 miles on the highways the glass is getting pitted from all the dump trucks and other debris throwing trucks. Haven't had any issue yet though.
  • just wondering if anyone use the password lock on there gps.
    btw after im done with using the gps i put it in the trunk
  • just wondering if anyone use the password lock on their gps.
    I use a PIN and, before the input screen is ready, a display warns:

ATTENTION THIS GPS IS LOCKED

It says there is a reward for it and When on, Device Locator (R) is active.

I give credit to Gary Hayman for the idea.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page5.htm#splash