This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 2012 Nuvi Lineup : Was: Got e-mail today?

Subject just said "get ready to be moved" on 8/24/2011

bit.ly/qDA2ff

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    Nope, but I got the same e-mail. Must be some new product announcement coming. I came here hoping someone with inside connections to Garmin would enlighten us.
  • paaland 0 Points
    It's probably a new even bigger/thinner model than the Nuvi 37xx models :)

Personally I hope it's a redesign of the Nüvi GUI. It's quite far behind competitors like TomTom on features.
  • popej 57 Points
    caryrae, be careful when posting private links form your mail. I'm sorry, but I probably removed your subscription for Garmin advertisements.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    OK, I'll just take a wild guess. They have posted a video that shows someone printing up page after page of directions from something like google maps. Since they have discontinued Mapsource and Basecamp is really oriented towards their outdoor products, maybe they are rolling out a new route planning program? Perhaps something web based? Maybe it will even be compatible with the much-maligned "Trip Planner"? :wink:

Like I said, just a wild guess...
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Maybe something Navigon had in the works? If there is any real innovation going on at Garmin I would suspect they are the source.

How do we get a pool going on here???? :wink: :roll:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Powered mount for iPhone (and possibly other popular smartphones) with supplemental GPS, speaker, microphone, etc.
  • Perhaps they are being bought out by United Van Lines.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Powered mount for iPhone (and possibly other popular smartphones) with supplemental GPS, speaker, microphone, etc.
    Is that what it really is or is that a guess? With that new video on facebook it sounds like that could be it.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If so, they are only about two years behind TomTom. :lol:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Unless the video is saying that, sure you can use a phone for navigation but they don't come with a mount but all our gps units have mounts included. Not sure since the announcement is still 5 days away.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I expect a few announcements related to smartphones/mobile applications. An Android app, mounts for the iPhone, perhaps more, maybe the cityXplorer data will make its way into the apps, or as separate apps, etc.
  • paaland 0 Points
    Since the teaser says "ready to move you". With emphasis on you. I figure it's another get of the couch and do something device. A running, cycling, hiking, swimming???, skiing device or something like that.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Except Garmin released two cycling GPS devices yesterday, so those are probably out.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Wow, their 2012 line-up. I'm underwhelmed... :roll:
  • t923347 432 Points
    The offical news release for the new Nuvi line doesn't seem to have been posted on the Garmin US website yet. Found this in Europe:

Garmin® announces new 2012 range of nüvi® sat navs

Garmin, the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the new 2012 range of nüvi sat navs featuring a new tiered series with ‘Essential, Advanced and Premium’ to meet the lifestyles and budgets of customers.

Also new to the 2012 line-up is advanced Guidance 2 and 3 navigation engines for faster and more intuitive user experience including enhanced features that result in Garmin’s most capable navigators yet.

“Whether you’re a student, a busy parent running the kids around town, or a road-warrior spending significant time in your car, the tiered structure of the new 2012 nüvi line makes it easy to pick the features and price point right for you” said Clive Taylor, Garmin’s EMEA Product Director, Automotive. “The ESSENTIAL, ADVANCED, and PREMIUM lines bring features and capabilities that do far more than just get you from A to B. They make everyday driving easier and provide time and fuel-saving benefits that only a dedicated navigation device can offer.”

Full breakdown of the new 2012 range:

ESSENTIAL: The nüvi 30/40/50 series is the perfect starting point, providing GPS navigation at its simplest with accurate turn-by-turn directions and spoken street names. These entry-level sat navs are budget-friendly and easy to use, making them a great solution for first-time drivers, students away at University, or as an extra navigator for the other family car.

ADVANCED: The nüvi 2405 and 2505 series offer sophisticated features at an affordable price, an ideal choice for the multi-tasking parent or the professional with a longer commute. The Advanced line comes with Guidance 2, a new navigation engine with a faster, more intuitive user experience that enhances the speed and accuracy of searches and routing up to 10x faster POI search and up to 2X faster routing.

Selected models even offer ‘call me angel’ a feature which allows you to give your nüvi a name, that when spoken provokes your nüvi to awaken ready for hands-free voice commands that really work.

With Guidance 2, complex junctions and exits are simplified using photoReal™ junction view. Road signs and junctions along the route are realistically displayed with photographic detail to clearly mark the correct lanes to be in for junctions and exits. Garmin’s exclusive junction view database now includes 34,000 junction views in Europe,

Also part of Guidance 2 is 3D Traffic. A Garmin sat nav with 3D Traffic technology, compiles historical traffic information (where traffic tends to be at certain times of the day), computes it with 80 million current traffic sources (from real-time data) to confidently predict future traffic.

The world’s most geographically extensive traffic information technology obtains 2 billion feeds per month from GPS probes on the road and also 80 million real time sources around the world so ensuring Garmin sat nav owners know where the traffic is and more importantly where to turn to avoid it.

PREMIUM: The nüvi 3400 series, Garmin’s premium line of PNDs, features Guidance 3 and the award-winning design of the popular nüvi 3700 series - the benchmark for the future design of premium sat navs. At less than 9mm it’s the thinnest navigator in the world. The design features pinch-to-zoom touchscreen interaction and automatic dual-screen orientation. With the most robust features available on any device, this product series is perfect for people who want the best Garmin has to offer.

Guidance 3 is Garmin’s most innovative navigation engine and includes all of the features of Guidance 2 plus more. Guidance 3 includes photoReal junction view technology enhanced with Bird’s Eye junction view. This stress relieving technology highlights from an overhead perspective the correct lanes to be in when approaching complex junctions which require multiple maneuvers.

Also on selected models is Safe Texting*; a text reader feature that allows the driver to hear and reply to texts without taking their eyes off the road, myTrends™; a predictive feature which automatically remembers favorite route destinations and predicts the destination and estimated time of arrival (ETA) without the user needing to activate a route, and 3D terrain & buildings for a real view of the road ahead.

The new 2012 nüvi product line is expected to be available in the UK in Q1 2012. For more information about individual models, features and pricing, visit www.garmin.com/move.

Since its inception in 1989, Garmin has delivered 88 million GPS enabled devices – far more than any other navigation provider. Garmin’s market breadth in the GPS industry is second to none, having developed innovative products and established a leadership position in each of the markets it serves, including automotive, aviation, marine, fitness, outdoor recreation, tracking, and wireless applications. Learn more about Garmin’s products at Garmin.blogs.com or at http://twitter.com/garmin.

* relies on new and developing BT format (.map)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Now posted on the US site: http://www8.garmin.com/move/lineup.html

The links to the specific models/series don't seem to work yet however.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    You can close my thread here and start a new one if you want talking about the new Nuvi line.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Now posted on the US site: http://www8.garmin.com/move/lineup.html

The links to the specific models/series don't seem to work yet however.
    If you click on this link https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401 then click NEW on the left it gives a list of the new line of 15 nuvi's.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I expect a few announcements related to smartphones/mobile applications.
    Looks like they took you by surprise with all the new models. :D

This is going to confuse people even more, especially now that the 3400 series is newer than the 3700 series. Then there's also Birdseye junction views which will be confused with Birdseye imagery...
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I was looking at some images on the the Garmin website of the 3490 and I saw poi's on the map screen.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I'll stick with my 3790. I see nothing "revolutionary" with this grand announcement...
  • caryrae 92 Points
    You mean this "See what's coming ahead with Enhanced Exit Services" isn't revolutionary?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You can close my thread here and start a new one if you want talking about the new Nuvi line.
    I just updated the title of the thread, we can continue here.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The "digital 3d traffic" seems to be an improvement, using HD radio.
    With FREE lifetime traffic updates from Digital 3D Traffic, our most extensive traffic avoidance system, nüvi 3490LMT can help you avoid delays. Digital 3D Traffic provides updates every 30 seconds over the HD Radio broadcasting system, so you can easily reroute around congestion and arrive on time.
    That said, I'm not interested either. I should be good to go for a few more years between my Montana and 3790. :D
  • sviking 141 Points
    You mean this "See what's coming ahead with Enhanced Exit Services" isn't revolutionary?
    Nope...not beyond what's already available for my uses...
  • sviking 141 Points

That said, I'm not interested either. I should be good to go for a few more years between my Montana and 3790. :D
    Yup. I'm still on the 60CSx and finally upgraded from the 5 year old 660 to the 3790 when the price came down enough and *most* of the bugs were worked out. I'll employ the same strategy in 1-2 years and most likely acquire a Montana at a greatly reduced (and less buggy) price. :lol:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I know they just announced the new line and we don't a lot about them but I hope they didn't drop the advanced detours, customizable main screen, and more data field option where you can have the 4 boxes of info on the right side of screen.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I hope they restored the feature for route import.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hope springs eternal.... :D

This is really out of control... the 24x0 series have 5" screens but the 24x5 series have 4" screens. The new 5" models are the 25x5 series.

And they have now added a new category "previous models" which is distinct from "discontinued models". It includes Nuvi 5x0, 12x0, 13x0, 14x0 and 37x0 series. Is this where the old nuvi's go to die? :lol:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402
  • alanb 539 Points
    A couple of interesting observations on the new 34xx models: They removed the "Garmin Lock" feature. They include an audiobook player, but not a MP3 player.
  • t923347 432 Points
    And they have now added a new category "previous models" which is distinct from "discontinued models". It includes Nuvi 5x0, 12x0, 13x0, 14x0 and 37x0 series. Is this where the old nuvi's go to die? :lol:
    Or until their stock runs out. I understand from a distributor here that all the current Nuvi models with the possible exception of the Dezl and Zumo will be discontinued by year end.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That would certainly make things a lot less confusing!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    They removed the "Garmin Lock" feature.
    That was a surprise, but it makes sense. It does little if anything to deter theft, most people probably don't use it, it is bypassed by those in the know, and when it is used all it will just make for angry customers when a code is accidentally set and the customer must pay to have it unlocked from Garmin.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I stopped using the Garmin lock years ago. Waste of time IMHO...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Never used it myself either. Also never used audio books or MP3's. I have read in the past that if you leave the nuvi powered on with the lock screen showing and wait a long time (hours?), it will just go away and you can use the unit. Never tried myself though.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Never used it myself either. Also never used audio books or MP3's. I have read in the past that if you leave the nuvi powered on with the lock screen showing and wait a long time (hours?), it will just go away and you can use the unit. Never tried myself though.
    I heard that, too. Doesn't work on the 660 unless it takes days. I tried by leaving it on overnight once and it was still locked the next day. I have the wall A/C adapter so it wasn't in computer mode, either.
  • So looking at the 34xx and comparing it to the 37xx, it pretty much looks like the same hardware but with new software loaded on it. Dimensions are the same, display size is the same, the only difference is .2 ounces of weight.

As long as they keep rolling with software updates for my 3760, I'm happy right where I am.
  • sviking 141 Points
    As long as they keep rolling with software updates for my 3760, I'm happy right where I am.
    I wouldn't count on it. Garmin generally abandons firmware updates when old units drop off their radar, and it looks like a lot of current units may do just that with the new releases.
  • Esteban 0 Points
    They've started to post video on this page:
    http://www8.garmin.com/move/guidance.html

Check out the InstaSearch video. See how many different UI changes you can spot. It looks like a new Where To? menu. In the middle of Where To there is a "Garmin USA" button, do you think they allow you to customize the "Where To?" menu?

There is a new keyboard with suggestions that can handle both POI's and addresses. Pressing on a result brings-up "Route", information icon and "Go" button. On the navigation page there is a different looking data field than the rest of the screenshots we've seen. Also, there are some new buttons on the right hand side of that screen. There is a 3-bar button in the lower right that we've also seen on the Montana.

Looks like there might be more changes that they're not telling us about.
  • caryrae 92 Points

Check out the InstaSearch video. See how many different UI changes you can spot. It looks like a new Where To? menu. In the middle of Where To there is a "Garmin USA" button, do you think they allow you to customize the "Where To?" menu?

There is a new keyboard with suggestions that can handle both POI's and addresses. Pressing on a result brings-up "Route", information icon and "Go" button. On the navigation page there is a different looking data field than the rest of the screenshots we've seen. Also, there are some new buttons on the right hand side of that screen. There is a 3-bar button in the lower right that we've also seen on the Montana.

I can only see the Junction View video, when I click on the other 2 it keeps saying video is private.
  • galaxi 5 Points
    May be many changes , but can these changes make users to desire to buy a new device?
    Which are the latest changes we really appreciate?
    Most of them are useless for users,I mean video players or nice junction pictures, in change we had : no routes from Mapsource , no POIs on map
    many not resolved bugs in SWs, not properly working TMC, not working NULINK service etc; I could continue-
    Seems Apple consumerist policy "infected" electronic gadgets market, I mean :must sell new devices every year, not important if these devices arent properly tested and free of bugs, users will be their testers-
    I'd prefere to have few quality devices, but working fine , properly supported and with useful features like a good gps should have.
    Customers dont need nonsenses like videoplayers, they need to create their routes on pc and import them in gps-
    Anyway no need to repeat here what users are complaining since a lot of time on every gps forum
    Old devices seems to fit better users desires, I'm thinking to 2x5 series eg. Discontinued but really good.
    Where are old Garmin units firmwares developers? We really miss them.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I was looking at the Garmin US website and it says "Three Types of Garmin Traffic, 3D Traffic, Digital 3D Traffic, and 3D Live traffic. So are they now calling the traffic on the 1690 and 1695 3D live traffic because when you click the highlighted connected nuvi's in the description it pops up the 1690/95 or do you think there will be a connected Nuvi in this new line sometime?

3D traffic at bottom of page.
    http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/
  • I know and understand why many of us are not too excited for the 2012 lineup. Personally, I like what the 3490LMT offers, and since I talked my parents into buying a Garmin, I will pass my 3790T unto them, and use that toward the new one.

I like the concepts of receiving texts by voice, the HD traffic concept, and exit services. It looks like the best of the 3790 merged with the best of the 2460. Not everyone is impressed, and rightfully so.

However, being the tech geek that I am, I am totally digging the 3490. I want one. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I like the concepts of receiving texts by voice
    Yes, that is definitely progress. Instead of just calling and talking to you, your friends can send cryptic messages filled with typos and abbreviations while you listen to a computer voice bark them out... :roll:
  • I like the concepts of receiving texts by voice

Yes, that is definitely progress. Instead of just calling and talking to you, your friends can send cryptic messages filled with typos and abbreviations while you listen to a computer voice bark them out... :roll:
    Yep...the sound of a disembodied voice saying "LOL" makes for great conversation... :)

Point well made.

EDIT: At the same time, my wife (the only "person" who texts me - Redbox is the other) tends to be grammatically correct, so I won't be too affected...
  • Esteban 0 Points

I can only see the Junction View video, when I click on the other 2 it keeps saying video is private.
    Looks like they took it down for awhile. The link is back online. Or you can follow this direct youtube link.
  • Traffic via HD Radio is a major upgrade over analog radio. No retransmission for error correction, no multipath problems and more information sent more frequently. It's too bad they aren't sending gas prices out with the same feed.
  • The SafeTecting feature also allows you to answer texts 'without taking your eyes off the road'. That's dependent on your phone supporting the MAP bluetooth profile though.

This part of the feature is not mentioned in the US press release but its on the UK website. I can't imagine the hardware is any different though.

http//garmin.blogs.com/ukpr/2011/08/garmin-announces-new-2012-range-of-n%C3%BCvi-sat-navs.html

Also on selected models is Safe Texting*; a text reader feature that allows the driver to hear and reply to texts without taking their eyes off the road,
  • Garman 0 Points
    In the Guidance 2.0 section, it says it has "automatic volume control". Does that mean the scroll wheel is back?