This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3.5 screen with QWERTY keyboard

CZSteve 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Any 3.5" models with a QWERTY keyboard?
I think I'd prefer a Garmin Nuvi.

- I prefer the smaller form factor of the 3.5 (don't see a major benefit of the 4.3) but every other device I use is a QWERTY design.
- Use for basic navigation in the DFW area.

Also looking for:
- Bluetooth
- Traffic

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    AFAIK, none of Garmin's 3.5" devices have a QWERTY keyboard. The main advantage of the larger screen (other than size) is pixel count. 3.5" screens are 320x240 = 76,800 pixels and 4.3" screens are 480x272 = 130,560 pxiels. That's almost twice the pixel count. More pixels means more detail at a comparable zoom setting, plus text that is easier to read with less "jaggies".

I suggest comparing them side by side at a store if you haven't already done so. Some people mainly use the spoken directions however, so I suppose it doesn't matter as much to them.
  • The 1260T is the only 3.5" Nuvi with bluetooth, and it is an ABC keyboard.
    The zumo (motorcycle line) also has bluetooth and 3.5", but they too are ABC keyboards.

I don't see any other makers with 3.5" screens and bluetooth.

Truthfully, I don't have any problems going between the ABC layout on my 260 and the QWERTY on my wifes 255w.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    And if it really is a deal breaker, your option is the 13xx series and accept the larger screen.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well, wait a minute. I'm not sure, but I'll bet the Nuvi 295W has QWERTY. It's a 3.5" widescreen format, works in landscape and portrait orientation. Actually it's just a Nuvifone with different software and no radio. It is discontinued, don't know if you can find new ones but I'll bet there are plenty on the used market. They were practically giving these away at the end - $80 IIRC?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=73079

For that matter, why not just use a smartphone with the Garmin app? Or if you don't have or want a smartphone, I think you can run it on an iPod touch.