This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin and an iPhone app

Could this be a game-changer for Garmin? Now there is an affordable app for the iPhone that includes most of the functionality of a fancy standalone Garmin GPS. If you have an iPhone and shell out $30/year for the premium subscription, why would you pay $200-300 for a new Garmin unit that may be obsolete in 3 years? This might make sense.

(link removed by mod)

Comments

• Posted here already

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/23541/x/p1/

also, many (including myself) will not click on tinyurl links.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    We prefer that you not use link shortening services, since there's no way to know what was linked to before clicking. I tried anyway, and it hung for awhile waiting for tiny URL. So I have removed the link, but assume this is what you're talking about.

It is NOT the same thing as the thread you referenced bluphpher, it's a $0.99 app announced yesterday that doesn't store the maps locally.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/08/new-garmin-streetpilot-ondemand-iphone-app-offers-premium-navigation-starting-at-99.html
    New Garmin® StreetPilot® onDemand iPhone app offers premium navigation starting at $.99

OLATHE, Kan./August 31, 2011/Business Wire – Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced that its new StreetPilot onDemand iPhone app is now available in the Apple App Store. Rounding out Garmin’s diverse range of guidance options, StreetPilot onDemand provides iPhone users convenient navigation for walking or driving when they need it, with an initial $.99 download that includes 30 days of premium features. It is the first iPhone navigation app to include multimodal pedestrian routing, with bus and train transit schedules in many major cities. Additional premium features include spoken turn-by-turn guidance with street names, representation of 3D buildings and landmarks, traffic rerouting, photoReal™ Junction View and Google Local Search, among many others.

“Our new StreetPilot onDemand app is the perfect solution for anyone who occasionally needs navigation but still is looking for a premium experience and precise directions. There is nothing comparable in the App Store today,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “By including multimodal pedestrian routing, our new app is especially helpful for users in urban areas. The app seamlessly provides directions in the car and integrates public transportation when getting directions by foot.”

With the new multimodal pedestrian routing offered in StreetPilot onDemand, users can choose to integrate public transportation into their route. It is the first turn-by-turn iPhone navigation app that integrates train or bus schedules in the cities in which this service is available. Users can navigate to a destination from their current position (or set a different starting location), and the app provides turn-by-turn directions including a detailed itinerary of transit stops and instructions for walking to and from a bus or train stop. Beautifully rendered 3D buildings and landmarks make it even easier for pedestrians to find their destination.

The app also is a comprehensive driving assistant that integrates many of the signature features for which Garmin is known. This includes spoken turn-by-turn directions, photoReal junction views that show a realistic depiction of the junction as well as lane guidance and real-time traffic information that automatically routes drivers around gridlock. Users can easily find points of interest using Garmin’s extensive database or Google Local Search. A new functionality suggests points of interest based on the users search history to provide faster and more relevant search results. The app also warns drivers when exceeding the speed limit and even provides an overview of the weather conditions at the destination, complete with a five day forecast.

The Garmin StreetPilot onDemand app integrates an extremely easy to use interface that is customized for the iPhone. It stores the maps and points of interest in the cloud, so they are always up-to-date. The comprehensive map options allow users to easily enable or disable features displayed on the map such as traffic information, 3D buildings and landmarks or points of interest.

Garmin StreetPilot onDemand is available in the App Store on iPhone or at www.apple.com/appstore for $.99 and includes turn-by-turn, voice prompted navigation and traffic rerouting for 30 days in the United States and Canada. Users can extend this initial period by subscribing on a monthly ($2.99) or annual ($29.99) basis. Garmin offers a special introductory price of $19.99 for the yearly subscription from August 31, 2011, to September 14, 2011. Even without a subscription, users can still view maps, lookup points of interest and create routes. A subscription is required for turn-by-turn voice guidance with automatic off-route recalculation, real-time traffic information and multimodal pedestrian routing.
  • Ahh, OK, I just saw the post in the Smartphone forum (and since I did not click on the link did not know).
  • If you are driving and using this gps app on your iphone, where is the phone? Do you have a mount for it?
  • Oooops! Boyd, sorry about the tiny link - I didn't know. Looks like you found the story though.

No I don't have an iPhone but I thought the concept was interesting and wonder what kind of direction Garmin might take in the future if smart phones are more fully capable of navigational features like a standalone GPS.
  • It's easy to get confused when it comes to Garmin products. :)

There's several flavors of mobile apps that Garmin has rolled out in the past few months. While TomTom got all the press for their mobile plans, it's Garmin that has grabbed the reins recently. Mobile navigation apps for Android and iOS, even installed and on-demand versions, join the old Garmin Mobile for Blackberry, covering all the major platforms.

And you can add Garmin Mechanic to the mobile mix, the Android smartphone app that connects (via bluetooth) to Garmin's EcoRouteHD cable to monitor vehicle diagnostics, systems and real-time fuel use monitoring and logging.

Garmin may have been a bit slower to embrace smartphones as a potential market, but they've certainly jumped in with both feet now. TomTom on the other hand??
  • Why would anyone want to mess up an iPhone with Garmin software?? I've been using iPhone and iPad with a number of navigation apps...Enjoy traveling more since I ditched my Nuvii....no longer Lostinthewoods!!! :D :D
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Why would anyone with such obvious disdain for Garmin want to waste his time following the Nuvi forum?
  • If you are driving and using this gps app on your iphone, where is the phone? Do you have a mount for it?
    We have dash board mounts for our iPhone and our iPad. I rely more on audio than video directions (80/20%) just as I did with my Garmins...so on short jaunts the iphone lays on the console or seat. Eyes on the road!
  • Why would anyone want to mess up an iPhone with Garmin software?? I've been using iPhone and iPad with a number of navigation apps...Enjoy traveling more since I ditched my Nuvii....no longer Lostinthewoods!!! :D :D
    We got it LostInTheWoods. You simply hate Garmin and any versions of any PND or software they produce, sight unseen. :roll:
  • BTW, you sound like the perfect candidate for Google Navigation.

Includes voice instructions, Walking Navigation, Transit Navigation, Quick launch routing using voice search, StreetView, Satellite View, Traffic View, Search along route, a unique Car Dock Mode, and locally cached maps if you lose your cell connection. Free with every Android phone. :wink:

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/
  • Why would anyone with such obvious disdain for Garmin want to waste his time following the Nuvi forum?
    I don't like the way our gooberment operates, but spend time following it....I believe it's called keeping informed, besides I have lots of extra time on my hands, since I got rid of my Garmins.

Why does it bother you that someone presents views different that yours?

Why do you waste so much of your time on this and possibly other GPS forums?

We got it LostInTheWoods. You simply hate Garmin and any versions of any PND or software they produce, sight unseen. :roll:
    You seem to dislike the fact that I express views which are different from yours. I don't hate Garmin or their products, but find their buggy products to be rather disappointing.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I think we dislike the fact that all your comments are negative not that they are different than ours.
  • I think we dislike the fact that all your comments are negative not that they are different than ours.
    a. You're wrong, they are not all negative.

b. My comments are based on my experiences with Garmin products and service, it's not my fault that Garmin leaves a lot to be desired with both.

c. People come to forums for help and information...They should hear the good the bad and the ugly.
  • Stating an opinion is fine. But you go overboard with criticizing products you have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of.

If you had actually tried the Garmin StreetPilot app for your iPhone, and found it wanting, then comments from you on what exactly didn't work correctly or needed improvement would be a valid opinion. As it is your comments are more of a rant, not at all useful to someone who might be interested in the product.

If you have something actually helpful to offer, feel free to post it. Otherwise like Boyd asked: Why are you bothering to post comments on a mobile product you obviously have never used but don't like anyway?

I have used the Garmin software on both iPhone and iPad....Same old Garmin, add window dressing, instead if improving the basic functions.

Note: Edited for language - Moderators
  • Surprised this thread has not been locked since there is not much info just bickering back and forth. :?
  • I have used the Garmin software on both iPhone and iPad....Same old Garmin, add window dressing, instead if improving the basic functions.
    So that's actually more helpful. Which basic functions need improvement, and what would be your suggestion? What did you think of the customization options compared to your old nuvi? How was the StreetPilot app traffic presented compared to the pnd version?
  • I have used the Garmin software on both iPhone and iPad....Same old Garmin, add window dressing, instead if improving the basic functions.

So that's actually more helpful. Which basic functions need improvement, and what would be your suggestion? What did you think of the customization options compared to your old nuvi? How was the StreetPilot app traffic presented compared to the pnd version?
    This is the wrong place (it's the Nuvi Forum) for discussing the details of iPhone apps.
  • As a moderator, and since this is the topic of the thread, it's the perfect place. :?

So LostintheWoods, any suggestions for improving the StreetPilot app? What about it didn't you like?
  • While we're waiting, I'll post the features you can expect with the $1 version of Garmin's new StreetPilot On Demand iPhone app

Get driving or walking directions to any destination and track your progress on the moving map
    -Find new places to visit with suggestions based on your previous search history
    -Have the latest maps for the U.S. and Canada, downloaded to your device on demand
    -Browse maps you’ve recently viewed, even when outside of data coverage areas
    - Look up points-of-interest (POIs) such as restaurants, gas stations, hotels and more with Google local search
    -Navigate to contacts in your address book
    - Show / hide POIs, favorites and suggestions on the map, including different POIs by category
    -View weather conditions and forecasts
    -Place calls directly from search listings
    -Navigate in both portrait and landscape mode
    -Pinch, pan, zoom, and rotate maps with full gesture support
    -Listen to music while navigating with integrated iPod® music controls
    -Access other apps on your device while navigating with multi-tasking support

But opt for the $3/mo, or $30/yr premium version and you're upgraded to:

-Navigate in the car with voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions including street names
    -Access real-time traffic updates and see the estimated traffic delay along your route
    -View speed limits for most major roads
    - Know the correct lane before it’s too late with lane guidance and photoReal junction views
    - Navigate while walking with routes that integrate public transportation into your itinerary
    -See 3D buildings and landmarks for added awareness while navigating

With the first 30 days free, it's worth a look, particularly if you're not totally happy with your current smartphone navigation solution.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-streetpilot-ondemand/id440326367?mt=8
  • Thanks, Gator. Nice synopsis. This does make me think about making a switch. The app with iPhone does everything I need except for the elevation feature which is on my 1450. I wonder about Lifetime Map updates?
  • Since the maps are supplied as you need them, they should always be current.
  • I have owned Garmin devices since the GPS 45 in the early 90s and have recently owned two NIVIs including the 3790t. I have given both NUVIs to my duaghter & soninlaw in Atlanta (Im in Housto). I have had an iPhone4 since last summer and in April bought the Streepilot app. It had functionality but it was missing some of the stuff I was used to from the high end NUVI. I bought it at the time for $34.99 - it is a bit higher now. This is the app that uses maps online and I only once couldn't get maps when I was in a very rural area of NE Texas. My issue with this app was always lack of functionality I was used to. They updated this app to version 7 two days ago and I was very disappointed with the lack of functional improvement though they made one change I needed (3D view when not on an active route). Turns out they have different apps as well and one was on sale this weekend for $10 off ($19.99) so I purchased "USA". This is the one they call "Onboard" as the maps download to the iPhone (after 2 or 3 hours using about 1.5 GB which I didn't mind as I have a 32 GB iPhone4). I have to say this one has impressed me much more and has nearly all the functionality that was missing in the "Streetpilot" app (which costs more).

There are some things I would still like to see improved but this app is functional enough not only for me not to require an addition NUVI in my car but it's even better IMHO than my Prius navigation system (which will disable most of the functionality when the car is moving). If you have an iPhone, I would recommend it's worth getting this weekend to try for $20. Don't worry yet about the traffic & gas. Traffic is the same miserable traffic on the NUVI (Naviteq). That is another $20/yr and if you think it is accurate it will aid in the active routing. I still use "BeatTheTraffic" which has a free and very cheap version. And Gasbuddy is also free.

Here are some things to consider

1. if you get everything al la carte and have to keep switching between apps on the iPhone I am not convinced that "Garmin USA" will notify you of upcoming turns in the background (which I think it is supposed to do but I can't get the voice prompts to reliably work).
    2. The "favorites' data is not shared between garmin apps, nor migratible. In fact there is no way to upload / download them either via mapsource so if you install or reinstall you will lose your data
    3. I can't get the voice prompts to work yet and Garmin tech support has no clue. I get one prompt at the beginning and then silence even with all the appropriate setting set.
    4. iPhone4's like to overheat quickly on the dash - especially in Otterbox's. When then happens, the backlight will turn off and you won't be able to see the app. NUVI's have never had that problem in my cars (higher operating temps). So I put my iPhone in a RAM-MOUNT suctioned to the little window in the front left and the position it over my A/C vent to the left of the steering wheel. Have never had an issue.
    5. Garmin knows nothing about "bluetooth audio" so if your car supports that, you can hear your iPod/audio/phone through the car speakers but not the Garmin app (as far as I can tell).

Bottom line - if you don't mind 1.5 GB of maps and lack of 'pedistrian' support. USA is significantly better and more functional than Streetpilot. And if you have an iPhone, USA can very well substitute for a NUVI.

Hope this helps the discussion here.
    Joel
  • t923347 432 Points
    Wow, great first post Joel. Thanks for taking the time to report your findings here.
  • Great post Joel. Yours is the kind of thoughtful and comprehensive information that helps us all make a better decision. Thanks.
  • Very well done.

Welcome to our forums. :)