This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Eliminating language files

I have a very strong feeling that it will be a very long time before I start learning Danish or South African or Persian or Kanji or just about everything except English, so I want to eliminate everything but my mother tongue. (I have already done this on my Mac).

I opened the Garmin folder and I see that there are piles of files for many languages in both the Voice and Text folders. My question is: Can I just go ahead and trash everything except English files without something disastrous happening to my 755T GPS?

After uploading the latest huge .jcv file for the 755T, I see that there is very little wiggle room left in the main memory to install anything else.

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    The answer is "yes", but I would suggest making a complete backup of your nuvi before you delete anything ... just in case.

One other tip: After you delete the unneeded files, don't use the myDashboard tab on the my.garmin.com site to update your nuvi (use Webupdater instead). myDashboard will put all those files back if you use it, but Webupdater lets you pick and choose.
  • The answer is "yes", but I would suggest making a complete backup of your nuvi before you delete anything ... just in case.

One other tip: After you delete the unneeded files, don't use the myDashboard tab on the my.garmin.com site to update your nuvi (use Webupdater instead). myDashboard will put all those files back if you use it, but Webupdater lets you pick and choose.
    Yea, I was really scratching my head the first time I did this.
    I had gone through and deleted all the unneeded stuff before a map update (using mydashboard) to make sure I had plenty of space, and when I finished updating everything, all the languages were back.
    I was quite puzzled till I read it on here.
  • What I am tempted to do (but too timid to try) is to modify the privileges of the text and voice folders in my Mac so that they would be "Read Only" rather than "Read and Write." This would prevent any changes to the folders by anyone who does not know my administrator password.

But it might also result in a total erase and format of my Garmin and a re-write of all files by MyDashboard.
  • Changing the permissions of the files on the GPS will not work. It may look like it is working, but the GPS simply ignore the read only attribute.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well, naturally.... the gps itself doesn't recognize you as an "administrator". But when the unit is connected via USB disk mode to the computer the permissions should be respected. I think this is what Gramps probably had in mind... that webupdater wouldn't be able to add any files to the text and voice folders while the nuvi was connected to his computer.

That's a clever idea - don't know if it would work. My *guess* is that webupdater is already running with admin privileges since you started the process as an administrator, so it probably won't work.
  • I see your point. Trying to make a file read only on the GPS will not prevent the GPS from changing it. That I know for sure. But yes, it may prevent WebUpdater from overwriting the file. That is worth the try.
  • Gramps 0 Points
    The thing that worries me about this tactic is that myDashbord might interpret its inability to write new files in the folder as file corruption and summarily format the entire GPS memory; then proceed to re-write all the system files into the device (probably an all-nighter if it should happen).
  • t923347 432 Points
    You give myDashboard credit for a lot more power, and brains, than it deserves. :D