This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 260 - Cannot install entire NA.2012.30 map

I recently bought lifetime maps. When I downloaded NA.2012.20 a few weeks ago I could only install a partial map because the 260 does not have enough internal memory for the full map.

Based on info I received on this forum I added a 2Gb SD card in the memory slot. The card is formatted and empty. I downloaded NA.2012.30 and it says I do not have enough room for the entire map. Where did I go wrong? Was I suppose to do something before downloading the update? Use a 4Gb card?

Also, if I download NA.2012.30 but do not install it will Garmin ding me for that download against my 4/year quota?

Thanks.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Unfortunately Garmin won't automatically see that you have enough space with the card, it just looks at space on the device. See Tutorial 4 here:

http://cid-c6483e8a197b8356.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/nuvi1490T/Tutorials

which explains how to do what you want (it's written for a 1490 but will work equally well for you).

And no, you're not penalised by Garmin!
  • Thank you for the link. I will let you know how it goes. It looks a bit more involved than changing one setting.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I don't have lifetime maps so I can't try this myself, but I wonder if it would work? It works if you want to download Birdseye imagery to a card instead of a GPS, for example.

Insert your memory card into a USB reader and create a folder named Garmin in the root directory. Now connect your nuvi and look inside the Garmin folder for the file named GarminDevice.xml. This file contains the "identity" of your GPS and a list of its capabilities. Copy GarminDevice.xml to the Garmin folder on your data card and disconnect the Nuvi.

Now try running the map updater. It *may* be fooled into thinking that the card is actually the Nuvi and install the map on it. If this works, you might need to change the name of the map file, depending on which Nuvi you have however.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Good idea but if it works like it worked for me (or rather didn't when I tried it) it detects the drive as a 'nuvi' but then wants to update software before it will install the map :cry:
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited November 2011
    I took Boyd's idea and gave it a try with my 755T using a 8 GB SDHC card installed in my laptop containing the appropriate folder structure and the GarminDevice.xml file for the 755T. I had the nuvi disconnected. I logged in to my.Garmin.com and the SD card was indeed recognized as my 755T. I proceeded to download and re-install the 2012.30 map files to the SDHC card without problems. I did not have the firmware update problem identified by sussamb. The map update installer put all the map files on the SD card: gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma, gmapprom.unl, gmaptz.img, gmap3D.img and D3060040A.JCV (in the \Garmin\JCV folder). Note that it did not install the prodkey.bin or prodkeyNA.bin files on the SD. I don't know how problematic this is, as I already had these files on the nuvi from the initial install.

It took some experimentation and several tries, but I was able to get a fully working 755T with all the NA map data on the SD card. I won't outline the failed attempts. Here are the steps to get it operational:

1) Boot up the nuvi and disable the currently installed CN NA and 3D maps (tools>settings>map>map info, uncheck both maps). Reboot and verify that you only have basemap support (major roads only).
    2) Connect nuvi to PC in data mode and remove or rename the following files from nuvi internal drive: gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma, gmap3d.img, gmaptz.img, \Garmin\JCV\*.JCV
    3) Copy gmapprom.unl from SD card to internal nuvi drive (NOTE: I did not have to do this step since I already had gmapprom.unl from the original install. This file MUST be in internal storage, so I am assuming the copy will work if you have not already installed this map version to internal storage.)
    4) On SD card rename files gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img, gmapprom.gma to gmapsupp.gma.
    5) Safely remove the SD card and nuvi from the computer. Install the SD card in the nuvi.
    6) Boot the nuvi, go to Settings>map>map info and make sure the full 2012.30 NA map and 3D map show and are checked.
    7) Test nuvi to make sure all map detail is working.

The detail NA maps, 3D map, time zone map and JCV file all seemed to work correctly from the SD. The only thing that had to be on the internal drive was the gmapprom.unl file (even though there was no corresponding gmapprom.img file).

This worked in my case, but DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Note these steps are for the older nuvi that does not have the hidden .system folder and enhanced map naming features. I am not sure what additional considerations there are for the newer units.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Great! Maybe I need to persever more with mine ... possibly might work if I make sure my 1490 is up to date software wise first, or maybe as I have a .system folder that may be the problem?? I'll try later ... at work right now :cry:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Very cool, thanks for testing my "theory". :) Of course, with the 7x5 series, 3790 and maybe a couple other new models, this is more complicated due to the 3d buildings and terrain

On an old device like the OP's Nuvi 260, I think this might be simpler. I *think* he would not need to change anything in internal memory, but just rename gmapprom.* to gmapsupp.* on the card, then reboot, disable the old map and enable the new one.

Regarding the firmware update, doesn't webupdater just install a gupdate.gcd file on the card?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, but it then asks that you reboot before it goes further :cry:

I suspect that if I try it again with updated firmware it will work, it's just that when I tried it I wasn't running the latest firmware :roll:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think it detects the firmware version from GarminDevice.xml. You could probably just open that file in a text editor and change the appropriate line. :)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Good point! :lol: :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you want to use this method of downloading the map, then it's probably easiest to just run webupdater and make sure your Nuvi is up to date before you copy the GarminDevice.xml file to the card. That should completely avoid the issue. :)
  • OP Reporting back:

I downloaded the newest map. The Lifetime Updater was set to install the map on the 260 and my computer. After downloading for quite some time (an hour?) it gave me two error messages about failing to install and try again later. I found out it successfully installed the West update on my 260, but it failed to install the entire North America maps to my computer.

I have MapSource installed. It appears I am missing the Garmin gdb files in the Garmin folder (I did a file search). But I am just guessing.

I know others have reported this error message on this forum and I intend to look for the solution. But our Vegas visitors have prevented me from spending time to do a proper search here to see what the issue is.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    .gdb files have nothing to do with the actual maps. They contain user data such as tracks, waypoints and routes. Optionally, they can contain a list of map segments that you installed, but not the actual map data itself.

The map data is installed in

C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps (Windows 7 and Vista)

or

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps (Windows XP)

You can see which version(s) of the map are found in that location and the total size of all the files. That might give you a clue as to what is actually installed on your computer.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Easiest "solution"...don't install the whole map. Seriously... Who needs ALL of America, Canada and Mexico loaded in at the same time? My Nuvi 660 also gave me the issue of not having enough memory to install all of the latest update so I just did the lower 48. That's all I'll ever need anyway. Oddly, my much older StreetPilot 2720 took the full update and I've cleaned everything not needed off my 660. They both only have 2Gb of memory...
  • Easiest "solution"...don't install the whole map. Seriously... Who needs ALL of America, Canada and Mexico loaded in at the same time? My Nuvi 660 also gave me the issue of not having enough memory to install all of the latest update so I just did the lower 48. That's all I'll ever need anyway. Oddly, my much older StreetPilot 2720 took the full update and I've cleaned everything not needed off my 660. They both only have 2Gb of memory...
    I found when I selected the lower 48 for my 260 I do not get 48 states. It is missing a chunk of the U.S. mainland. If I remember correctly, the portion that is missing includes Nevada.
  • sviking 141 Points

I found when I selected the lower 48 for my 260 I do not get 48 states. It is missing a chunk of the U.S. mainland. If I remember correctly, the portion that is missing includes Nevada.
    Interesting. I'm not seeing this with my 660. All of Nevada appears to be there from the cities I zoomed in on.

• I found when I selected the lower 48 for my 260 I do not get 48 states. It is missing a chunk of the U.S. mainland. If I remember correctly, the portion that is missing includes Nevada.

Interesting. I'm not seeing this with my 660. All of Nevada appears to be there from the cities I zoomed in on.
    Next time I will take a screen shot and share it. While I cannot remember exactly what was missing, I do remember West was a better choice than Lower 48. I would have been perfectly happy with Lower 48 if it included all 48 states.
  • sviking 141 Points

Next time I will take a screen shot and share it. While I cannot remember exactly what was missing, I do remember West was a better choice than Lower 48. I would have been perfectly happy with Lower 48 if it included all 48 states.
    Looks like I might have to step up my learning Basecamp if we're going to be doing the "state shuffle" because we can't have even have the lower 48 loaded all at once. :roll: