This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is Garmin's 1450 lifetime maps and traffic a good deal??

gcan1961 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
...I'm thinking of buying a Garmin 1450 with lifetime maps and traffic. Most consumer electronics, don't last a lifetime. So is it worth paying more for Garmins LMT or is a yearly fee for updates a better way to go. Especially if the latest and greatest gps comes out every other year or so....any input would greatly be appricated.

Geoff

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    Getting a unit bundled with lifetime map updates is definitely a better deal than buying multiple one-time map updates.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Assuming you want updates go with Alanb's suggestion ... me, I never bother to update my maps, so never pay for any updates :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    How could we tell you if something is a "good deal" when you don't tell us the price? :?

The 1450 is a time-tested model with a good feature set and you may find attractive pricing in Black Friday sales. But you need to compare that with other models to determine how good a deal it is. The main knock on this model is the small amount of internal memory (2GB) which may not be enough space to load new map updates (which keep getting bigger). Not necessarily a deal breaker though, since you can add a cheap memory card.
  • ....on amazon the 1450 base model is 112.00 the LMT version is 149.00...so is it better to pay the 37.00 difference for the lifetime maps and traffic, then just buy the base and occasionaly upgrade....do maps change that much?? I think it's funny that companies use the phrase lifetime with a consumer electronic item. Most likly I'll purchase the LMT model per advice of this forum. As always thx for any input.

Geoff
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think you're the only one who can answer this question. For me, it wouldn't be worthwhile because I don't care about having the newest maps. Others may find it essential for business purposes. All things being equal, it can't hurt to have the lifetime maps. Note that the map isn't the only thing that is updated. More lane assist intersections are added, new junction views are added and the POI database is also updated.

IMO, 3 to 5 years is a reasonable lifespan for a device like this. Of course, it may continue to work for much longer than that, but each year new features are introduced with faster processors and better screens.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Garmin list price on a one time map upgrade for North America is $49.99. You may be able to find it for a discount. But in my opinion, if you think you will want to update maps even once over the life of the unit, you are better off spending the extra $37 up front and get the LMT model.
  • It also depends on your location. If there is a lot of new construction or roadwork in your area, getting a unit with a lifetime map may be almost necessary.

My 260 has 2009 maps onboard, and was fine when I got it, but the freeway by me has undergone a major rebuild, and when it was done, the GPS thought I was driving on the feeder, so was continually recalculating and was very annoying to use.
    I was able to buy a 2010 Garmin SD card on e-bay for pretty cheap (less than a map update) and that took care of it.
    I am now starting to have other construction related issues with it now, so am starting to look for a new unit, and it will have LM on it.

Some people go through GPS before it is an issue. I tend to hold on to things till they don't work any more, so LM is a plus for me.