This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom Mac Woes

glfnzoo 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
This is just a note of caution to you Mac users out there and I apologize for the length of this post.

I have just purchased both a TT 920 and TT 720 after extensive research and much attention to these forums (thanks Tim!). In trying to take advantage of the latest map guarantee for the 720, TT tech support confirmed that Home 1.6 for Mac does not support this feature and I see that this has been mentioned in this forum. Their solution was to find a friend with Windows :x. After insisting that I would never ask a friend to install a program onto their machine just so I could update my maps, TT support attached the latest map to my TT account. Yay! Or so I thought.

Turns out, the only way you can download maps from your account is through TT Home and guess what, Home 1.6 for Mac can't do that and according to TT support, there is no other way to download maps, even ones you have purchased. In other words, if you have a Mac, you can never update or purchase maps for your TT device. So it looks like I will also not be able to take advantage of the free maps for a year on my 920.

In trying to set a password for my device through Home 1.6, I was also unsuccessful. TT support says their working on a fix for that.

I remembered that I had purchased Virtual PC with Windows XP a few years ago so I am trying to work with that. So far, I have been unsuccessful in having that work on one of my older iMacs, I think because it does not have USB 2.0. Nothing happens when I connect my 720 to the computer other than saying that a high-speed USB device is trying to connect through a low-speed port. TT Home 2.0 does not see it. I will try doing it on one of my newer machines and hopefully I will be able to at least update my maps although if any of you have tried to work with Windows emulation software, it is painfully slow.

I am very disappointed in TT. Although their tech support tries to be helpful, there's nothing they can do if the software isn't capable. They are being very deceptive in claiming that they are Mac compatible. Nowhere on their website is there the slightest indication that Mac functionality is very limited. At the very least, they need a disclaimer on their latest map guarantees and on their purchased maps.

If anyone has another workaround for updating and installing maps on a Mac, I would love to hear about it!

Comments

• Tim 1457 Points
    Turns out, the only way you can download maps from your account is through TT Home and guess what, Home 1.6 for Mac can't do that and according to TT support, there is no other way to download maps, even ones you have purchased. In other words, if you have a Mac, you can never update or purchase maps for your TT device.
    I've purchased, downloaded, and installed maps through TomTom HOME on a Mac. I'm not sure why they think that isn't possible.

• I've purchased, downloaded, and installed maps through TomTom HOME on a Mac. I'm not sure why they think that isn't possible.

Ooo, what version of Home did you use? Do you think they may have changed their process such that it doesn't work with anything other than home 2.x? The map updates simply do not appear when you run an update.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    I'm using 1.6. The "latest map guarantee" isn't there as you mentioned, but you can purchase and download maps. I suppose it is possible that the updates they "push" out to you no longer work in 1.6, but that seems unlikely. Is it possible they pushed it out to the wrong account?
  • Is it possible they pushed it out to the wrong account?
    No, because when I log on through a browser, it's there. It just doesn't get downloaded through Home. When I log in through Home, it downloads POI updates but the map doesn't download. When I click on download your updates, the map doesn't download. I can see that there are maps to purchse, but I would bet that once purchased, they would not download.
  • When I click on download your updates, the map doesn't download. I can see that there are maps to purchse, but I would bet that once purchased, they would not download.
    I finally found a disclaimer on TT's website that advises Mac owners w/o access to windows to not purchase new maps. It's buried in their "Find your Answer" section under map installation. Earlier in the same area they have a contradicting statement that says that Mac OSX is supported for downloading maps through Home.

Anyhow, what do you think of this solution: I have backups of both my 720 and 920 and the 920 has map 710.1576 whereas the 720 has version 705.1481. Accessing the TT 720 files from the desktop, can I just trash the "North America 2GB" folder and then drag over the "North America" folder from the 920 backup folder onto the 720? Are there other files that the TT needs to use the newer map files that might not be in those folders? Would I totally mess up the 720 doing this?
  • Tim 1457 Points
    I'm not positive I'm following what you are saying. But if in the end you wind up with the maps from your 920 on your 720, then I don't think that will work. They are licensed to the device and won't work on a GPS with a different product code.
  • I'm not positive I'm following what you are saying. But if in the end you wind up with the maps from your 920 on your 720, then I don't think that will work. They are licensed to the device and won't work on a GPS with a different product code.
    Tim, you are amazingly responsive to posts on this site. You are right; I just talked to TT support and they told me exactly that. Any rumors as to when Home for Mac 2.x might be coming out?
  • Tim 1457 Points
    No, there has been a (slightly unnerving) silence about new versions of HOME for Mac. My only hope is that this means they are rewriting it from scratch. :roll:
  • No, there has been a (slightly unnerving) silence about new versions of HOME for Mac. My only hope is that this means they are rewriting it from scratch. :roll:
    Business play.

Mac has small market share, so it wont be the highest priority. However, to keep their status as most Mac compatible, they will have to do it. The problem is the authenication of maps to device thru HOME.

My advice to the poster is if he has an Intel mac, to run parallels or bootcamp for XP.

Otherwise, use a friend PC to do the one time down load and Then back up on the Mac right away.
  • My advice to the poster is if he has an Intel mac, to run parallels or bootcamp for XP.

Otherwise, use a friend PC to do the one time down load and Then back up on the Mac right away.
    I had no joy running TomTom Home 2 with WinXP Home under Parallels. Program started and looked OK but, though Parallels said it could see the device (TT710, it said, though mine's a 510), it then said that it was in use by another application. I couldn't find a way round that.

I resorted to using next-door's Windows PC and fetched the latest UK + Ireland map. Installed and running OK. Interestingly/worryingly when I connect the TT to my Mac now the new map isn't shown in TT Home1.5. I'm doing a back-up to see if that gets it..... No it doesn't show. Only the original "Uk And Ie Plus Major Roads Of We" is listed in the Maps section.

The other thing that I hadn't expected was that, by switching the TT to use the new UK + IE map, my PoI's etc are not shown. They're not erased as they re-appear if I switch back to the original map.
  • My advice to the poster is if he has an Intel mac, to run parallels or bootcamp for XP.

I had no joy running TomTom Home 2 with WinXP Home under Parallels. Program started and looked OK but, though Parallels said it could see the device (TT710, it said, though mine's a 510), it then said that it was in use by another application. I couldn't find a way round that.

I resorted to using next-door's Windows PC and fetched the latest UK + Ireland map. Installed and running OK. Interestingly/worryingly when I connect the TT to my Mac now the new map isn't shown in TT Home1.5. I'm doing a back-up to see if that gets it..... No it doesn't show. Only the original "Uk And Ie Plus Major Roads Of We" is listed in the Maps section.

The other thing that I hadn't expected was that, by switching the TT to use the new UK + IE map, my PoI's etc are not shown. They're not erased as they re-appear if I switch back to the original map.
    Antenna,

Bootcamp worked for me on the 910 without a hitch.

Home 1.5 will not be able to see the new maps, as it didnt install them and the installtion folder for Home 2 is diff anyway. You should be able to see it when you operate the device in Home 1.5 though!

As for the POIs, they got transferred to the new maps...you will have to copy them over to the old maps to have them there as well. New maps got copied over onto the old "infrastructre". Same for everyone.
  • OK - thanks for your comments infama. I finally made it work under Parallels by setting USB devices to "connect without asking".

Interested in what you said about PoIs being transferred to the new map as that's not what has happened to mine. They stayed with the old map.

Also, I can't operate the TT from TT Home 1.5 on the Mac (but I can from TT Home2 under Parallels). With Home 1.5, I get a message in red saying "At this time there is no component available that is compatible with your TomTom device." I don't know what that means.
  • With Home 1.5, I get a message in red saying "At this time there is no component available that is compatible with your TomTom device." I don't know what that means.
    Yes, TT support claims that's a bug that they are supposedly working on a fix for. Home 1.6 is the same situation. That is why it is not possible to set a password for your device on a Mac. I imagine that is also how you would set up an itinerary on your computer as opposed to on the TT.

After trying to run Home 2.1 on a couple Macs through Virtual PC 6 and Windows XP, I finally gave up. Windows under emulation just couldn't access the device. I finally resorted to updating through my daughter's boyfriend's PC. I also noticed that there are now some new Mac disclaimers on the TT FAQ section.
  • OK - thanks for your comments infama. I finally made it work under Parallels by setting USB devices to "connect without asking".

Interested in what you said about PoIs being transferred to the new map as that's not what has happened to mine. They stayed with the old map.

Also, I can't operate the TT from TT Home 1.5 on the Mac (but I can from TT Home2 under Parallels). With Home 1.5, I get a message in red saying "At this time there is no component available that is compatible with your TomTom device." I don't know what that means.
    It happened the other way for me. In any case simple solution...copy them over to the relevant folder in the new map.
  • Having recently purchased a 720, I called TOMTOM to enquire as to how to acquire the latest map before my 30 days runs out. They were both sympathetic and hopeful.

They made the map available to me in my "My TOMTOM" account. I still won't be able to install it using my MAC as, as we all know, this is not possible with TT Home 1.6 for Mac. But at least I now own it ands don't have to worry about acquiring it before the end of the 30 days.

However they did tell me that they are more than aware of the Mac issue and are working to get the new Mac version of Home out as soon as possible and are -hoping- for a January release.
  • "I have just purchased both a TT 920 and TT 720 after extensive research and much attention to these forums (thanks Tim!). In trying to take advantage of the latest map guarantee for the 720, TT tech support confirmed that Home 1.6 for Mac does not support this feature and I see that this has been mentioned in this forum. Their solution was to find a friend with Windows :x. After insisting that I would never ask a friend to install a program onto their machine just so I could update my maps, TT support attached the latest map to my TT account. Yay! Or so I thought.
    If anyone has another workaround for updating and installing maps on a Mac, I would love to hear about it!"

I've done extensive research on the very same problem and the only solution I came up with was to go to my Son's Windows computer and DL and install NA 7.10. I did this on 1/12/08. I bought my TomTom GO 720 in Nov 07 so obviously the 30 day promotion limit did not apply. The DL and Install went flawlessly.
    When I got home I connected to my Mac and double clicked the TomTom hard drive icon and did a getinfo on the NA map the version was 7.10 just as it was supposed to be.
    The next thing I did was to create a "support_asr.dat" text file with a "1" in it (you can use any text editor) and put it in the ASR folder. This enabled voice recognition and made it much easier to program itineraries with waypoints.
    Speaking of route planning there is a terrific route planning application for TomTom go called "RouteBuddy"... just google it. This program will make your TomTom state of the art and in addition it also does the same thing that "Street Atlas USA" does for Windows PC's.
  • "I have just purchased both a TT 920 and TT 720 after extensive research and much attention to these forums (thanks Tim!). In trying to take advantage of the latest map guarantee for the 720, TT tech support confirmed that Home 1.6 for Mac does not support this feature and I see that this has been mentioned in this forum. Their solution was to find a friend with Windows :x. After insisting that I would never ask a friend to install a program onto their machine just so I could update my maps, TT support attached the latest map to my TT account. Yay! Or so I thought.
    If anyone has another workaround for updating and installing maps on a Mac, I would love to hear about it!"

I've done extensive research on the very same problem and the only solution I came up with was to go to my Son's Windows computer and DL and install NA 7.10. I did this on 1/12/08. I bought my TomTom GO 720 in Nov 07 so obviously the 30 day promotion limit did not apply. The DL and Install went flawlessly.
    When I got home I connected to my Mac and double clicked the TomTom hard drive icon and did a getinfo on the NA map the version was 7.10 just as it was supposed to be.
    The next thing I did was to create a "support_asr.dat" text file with a "1" in it (you can use any text editor) and put it in the ASR folder. This enabled voice recognition and made it much easier to program itineraries with waypoints.
    Speaking of route planning there is a terrific route planning application for TomTom go called "RouteBuddy"... just google it. This program will make your TomTom state of the art and in addition it also does the same thing that "Street Atlas USA" does for Windows PC's.
    Belay that last information about "Routebuddy" I've been reading forums about this software and it is not good! It is way far from being prime time and way too expensive.