This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First time Garmin user - Startup questions

I just purchased a Garmin nuvi 2460LMT. Here are my questions. Thank you in advance:

1. Do I need to plug it into my computer and go to the website and create an account?

2. Can I use any computer, or should I use my personal computer?

3. How should I charge it for the first time. Should I leave it in my car all night letting it charge (it's cold here). Or can I charge it by hooking it up to the computer?

Thank you,

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    1. You don't need to, but most do :)

2. You can use any computer you want, but if you want it to 'talk' to your nuvi you have to install the Garmin Communicator Plug-In.

3. You can certainly charge it using either method, just remember that if you use your PC it might not do so when it goes into sleep mode. Best thing to do is charge via an AC charger, but you may not have one.
  • Thank you for your help.

In #2, what do you mean by "talk"? Do you mean if I want the computer to talk to the gps unit? Or if I want to use voice command with my gps unit?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You will need to install Garmin software on whatever computer that is used to update the maps or operating system on your Nuvi. If you also want to install maps of the computer and save information (such as locations that you want to remember), then you should use your own computer and not someone else's.

You should also do a full backup of the Nuvi while it's still new. That would be better on your own computer than somebody else's. See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Thank you for your help.

In #2, what do you mean by "talk"? Do you mean if I want the computer to talk to the gps unit? Or if I want to use voice command with my gps unit?
    No, not voice command, just communicate between your nuvi and PC. The plug in enables you to view your Garmin as a removable drive so you can send (should you wish to) map updates, software updates etc to your nuvi.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited December 2011
    1. Do I need to plug it into my computer and go to the website and create an account?
    2. Can I use any computer, or should I use my personal computer?
    For what specifically? For updating the device? Or for charging?

For charging you can use any computer. Just plug it in and leave it.

For updating you can use several methods (Map updater? myDashboard? WebUpdater?), but all of them require installing additional software on the computer, either a browser plug-in or a standalone piece of software. Formally, you can do it on any computer, of course, as long as you have permission to install that extra stuff on it. Normally one'd do it on one's own personal computer.

If you decide to use myDashboard for updating your device, you will indeed have to create an account on my.garmin.com
    3. How should I charge it for the first time. Should I leave it in my car all night letting it charge (it's cold here). Or can I charge it by hooking it up to the computer?
    I don't exactly understand how you plan to charge it by leaving it in a car all night. For a typical passenger car, when you car is not running, it does not power any external devices (cig lighter sockets etc.). So leaving your device in a car "all night" will not charge it, unless you are planning to keep your car running all night. Are you?

You connect your device to an USB port in any computer and it will charge it. Alternatively, forget about charging it entirely. Just start using the device right away in your car wile driving. It will charge it as well.
  • sussamb 813 Points

I don't exactly understand how you plan to charge it by leaving it a car all night. When you car is not running, it does not power any external devices (cig lighter sockets etc.). So leaving your device in a car "all night" will not charge it, unless you are planning to keep your car running all night. Are you?

Depends on the car. My 12v socket is live all the time :wink:
  • 3. How should I charge it for the first time. Should I leave it in my car all night letting it charge (it's cold here). Or can I charge it by hooking it up to the computer?

I don't exactly understand how you plan to charge it by leaving it a car all night. When you car is not running, it does not power any external devices (cig lighter sockets etc.). So leaving your device in a car "all night" will not charge it, unless you are planning to keep your car running all night. Are you?

Depends on the car. My 12v socket is live all the time :wink:
    Mine has a key powered and an always on plug.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @South0085

You may want to check out Gary Hayman's web site. Lots of good info for new Garmin users and experienced users alike.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html#page1menustart
  • Saturday, I did the "initial set-up" steps on the computer. Everything worked fine. However, when I click on the update to get the latest update it told me to "unplug the unit and wait for it to restart and then plug it back in to ensure that the update was successful." However, this didn't happen. When I unplugged it, it did not restart. And when I plugged it back in, it still said "the latest update is available". What am I doing wrong? I knew something like this would happen to me.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but after unplugging you will probably need to press the power button to shut it down, then press it again and wait for the unit to start up. All that webupdater does is copy a file named gupdate.gcd to your Nuvi. The next time the Nuvi starts, it loads the new firmware from that file and will display a message to that effect.
  • That makes sense. I just assumed it would "re-start" on its own.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Good - that is probably the problem then. When you start it back up, be patient and wait for the update process to complete, it will take awhile.
  • That reminds me. When I tried to do a "map update" I noticed that it was going to take forever to update. So I canceled. Is it normal to take a long time to update the maps?
  • t923347 432 Points
    Yes, it's normal. The file is very large, well in the GB's in size, and unless you have a very fast internet connection you will be looking at hours to download and install the update.
  • Gotcha....thanks for your help.