This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New "Live" Nuvi services and models

When did Garmin change the name of the nuLink 1695 to the LIVE 1695? And does it hint that more connected devices are coming? Perhaps for CES (Jan 10-13)? :?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402&pID=70853

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    It doesn't look that the info in the link you provided offers any new features over the original 1695 that I can see so maybe it may just be a refresh of the product name and webpage to line it up with TomTom "Live" service offerings.

Late last summer or early fall I had the owner of Garmin's largest distributor in Canada tell me that Garmin had completely given up on connected services in North America as there simply was no demand for it here. Of course, Garmin has been known to change it's mind. :o
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Clearly, all they did was change the name of the device at the top of the page. My point wasn't that this is a new device. It was that they have changed the name, which (to me) suggests that a new "LIVE" series may be on the way.

Over at GPStracklog, Rich has posted a list of his predictions for 2012, which includes
    The nuLink 2390 (or something similar to it) will be released in the US with live traffic cameras
  • t923347 432 Points
    It looks like Garmin has now introduced a couple of "Live" items.

The first is a new Nuvi, the 3590LMT, which is pretty much a 3490LMT with a 5" screen and includes the second "LIVE" product called Smartphone Link for Android.

The description of the new Nuvi is at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=96637 and the Smartphone Link service for Android phones at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=111441 . There is also a video on that link explaining the service.

Also note that with a firmware update, Nuvi models 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LMT, 3490LMT will also support the Smartphone Link service.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Wow, at least on paper the 3590 looks very impressive. 5" diagonal glass multi-touch screen at 800x480 resolution. I didn't think they would come up with something like that. List price is $400.... I paid more than that when I bought my 3790 right after its release. :evil:

Looking at the specs, this model is a bit different from the LIVE 1695 however as it requires a link to your Android smartphone to receive connected services.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Here's the press release on the 3500 series
    Garmin® Debuts New Top Tier GPS Navigator at CES
    January 9, 2012 | 06:00 AM

OLATHE, Kan./January 9, 2012/Business Wire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the nüvi® 3500 series, the company’s newest flagship personal navigation devices (PNDs) and the company’s first GPS navigators that combine the ultra-thin form factor with a large, 5-inch glass display. The 3500 series is part of the Prestige line of 2012 nüvis and includes the most premium features available on any device such as the Guidance 3.0 navigation engine, Digital 3D Traffic and compatibility with Garmin’s newest Android™ application, Smartphone Link. The nüvi 3500 series will be showcased in the Garmin booth (South Hall #35812) at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show.
    “The nüvi 3500 series rounds out Garmin’s 2012 line up of PNDs as the most full-featured, top tier navigators,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “This series offers it all, from the thin and stylish form factor and large display to the most premium capabilities like Digital 3D Traffic and Smartphone Link compatibility. What’s more, all of these features are included with the purchase of the device, so customers don’t have to worry about any additional costs, fees or subscriptions.”

As part of the Prestige line of nüvi models, these PNDs feature the Guidance 3.0 navigation engine, which provides a faster, more intuitive user interface to enhance the speed and accuracy of searches and routing. Lane assist with photoReal junction view realistically displays road signs and junctions along the route with photographic detail to clearly mark the correct lane to be in for interchanges and exits. Garmin’s exclusive junction view database includes nearly 60,000 junction views in the U.S. and Canada, 25 times more than in previous nüvi models. Guidance 3.0 also includes myTrends™, the ability for the nüvi to automatically remember frequent favorite route destinations and predict the destination without the user needing to activate a route.

To keep drivers moving instead of sitting in traffic wasting time and fuel, the nuvi 3590LMT offers subscription-free Digital 3D Traffic, which uses information from the HD Radio™ Broadcasting System to provide faster updates and more detailed coverage of side streets and other secondary roads in major cities. With Digital 3D traffic (available in the U.S. only) users will receive traffic updates as often as every 30 seconds, up to 10 times faster than traditional traffic receivers, giving drivers the most real-time depiction of the traffic situation along the route. As part of the world’s most extensive traffic avoidance system, Digital 3D Traffic checks traffic conditions 2 billion times per month using a multidimensional feed of real-time traffic data from quality sources including other Garmin nüvi owners, cellphone users, radio feeds, news stations, historical traffic data and fixed traffic sensors on major roads. With trafficTrends™, the nüvi automatically learns patterns for traffic flow and predicts where traffic will be.

The nüvi 3590LMT is also compatible with Garmin Smartphone Link, an Android app that provides live services to the PND. Smartphone Link creates a seamless navigation experience between the nüvi and an Android smartphone allowing them to communicate and share data. Among other functionalities, the app lets nüvi users add live services such as traffic information, traffic camera images, weather and fuel prices to their navigation device, utilizing the smartphone's mobile data plan.

The nüvi 3500 series includes the 3550LM with free lifetime map updates ($369.99) and the Bluetooth enabled nüvi 3590LMT with free lifetime digital 3D traffic updates from the HD Radio System, voice-activated navigation, free lifetime map updates, and Smartphone Link support ($399.99).
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Is the 3590 basically the same as the 3490 except for the bigger screen? Just because the Garmin website lists the 3490 and 3590 at $399. Unless they will be dropping the price of the 3490 already once the 3590 is released?
  • t923347 432 Points
    As I said in my post above the 3590 is a 5" screen 3490. Comparing the 2 on the Garmin website, only the screen size and, of course, dimensions and weight, along with the Smartphone Link are different.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Somehow I missed that part of your post :oops:
  • t923347 432 Points
    Here is the official announcement of the Smartphone Link:

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2012/01/garmin-debuts-new-top-tier-gps-navigator-at-ces.html?activeBranchId=newsroom

Premium Service costs are:

Live Traffic ($19.99 per year)
    photoLive traffic cameras ($9.99 per year)
    Fuel Prices ($9.99 per year)
    Advanced Weather ($4.99 per year)

That's $45 a year plus data cost and I wonder what the difference is between the supplied HD Traffic and the $20 a year Live Traffic???
  • If either of those traffic service come over the air via HD radio, we'll never know up here, will we. OTA digital radio is a dead horse in Canada.

Cheers!

Bob
  • This is a really great feature. The problem I've had with connected GPS devices is that they always shipped with GSM radios in them because they obviously want to be international devices. Well that doesn't help me where I live because it's a ATT/T-Mobile dead zone for about 90 miles all around me. Linking up with my Android phone totally sidesteps that. I have a 3760LMT now. Might be time to upgrade to a 3490... but that one has to come down in price right? They can't have essentially identical models with a one inch screen size difference be the same price, right?
  • The Google search feature stays on the phone and you transfer what you want to the phone when you need it.

This should solve the HD traffic issues for those that are having issues. I'm sure this app will make its way to other smartphone platforms.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    There is a hands on video of the 3590 on engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/garmin-nuvi-3590lmt-hands-on-video/
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks, just watched it and honestly there wasn't anything there that I found compelling. I think the true connected models (like the 1695) are nice since you just turn it on and use it (no need to mess with phone setup, etc).

Not sure that I really "get" the appeal of the phone app since it seems to just put a dumb face on a smart phone. If I was an Android user and wanted connected services, I'd think there would be better apps plus phones with large screens as well as tablets.

But I have to admit the idea of a 5" high res glass screen on a Nuvi sounds cool.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Not sure that I really "get" the appeal of the phone app since it seems to just put a dumb face on a smart phone. If I was an Android user and wanted connected services, I'd think there would be better apps plus phones with large screens as well as tablets.
    Couldn't agree more. I thought maybe it was just me not understanding what the appeal here was. :D
  • The Android market shows anywhere from 100-500 downloads for the Garmin smartphone link. There are 11 ratings all 5 stars.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.garmin.android.apps.phonelink&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5nYXJtaW4uYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLnBob25lbGluayJd
  • mvl 191 Points
    I've always preferred the smartphone-link approach. Tomtom used that approach in 2007/2008 with their original connected PLUS services offering.

All-in-one's seem like a good idea in paper, but having used Tomtom LIVE models for a long time, and Garmin's connected model for a few days, it becomes clear that other than initial setup, it's better to have a specialty device (eg your phone) manage all your connectivity:
    - Connectivity via a phone in the USA is usually free (eg free or negligible incremental data costs)
    - Connectivity is faster and more reliable. You chose your own vendor and data speed. Maybe AT&T (used by Garmin/Tomtom) doesn't have good reception in your neighborhood, or maybe 2G (the Garmin/Tomtom modem speed) is too slow or throttled in your neighborhood. Chances are you chose a phone carrier that works where you are.

This option of relaying to a phone (tethering) is being fought tooth and nail by the phone companies in the USA, as they want to prevent becoming a dumb pipe at all costs. Android (probably at Verizon's request) has disabled bluetooth tethering from the Android stack. AT&T forced RIM to remove tethering from the Playbook stack. And on and on.

But the tide is turning. Many of the OEM and in-dash GPSs realize that bring-your-own-connectivity is really the right answer. And smartphone relay/link apps, which can be dynamically updated and loaded with specific configuration scripts, substantially lessen the up frong config. I think Garmin's approach is the right one here, and is the wave of the future for the entire connected car.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Connectivity via a phone in the USA is usually free (eg free or negligible incremental data costs)
    Not if you have an iPhone with AT&T, unless they have recently changed things. Initially they did not allow bluetooth tethering at all on the iPhone, then they rolled it out when the iPhone 4 was introduced a couple years ago. I checked the pricing and it got pretty expensive, depending on how big a plan you wanted. I don't know if they have similar charges for other phones.

I already have unlimited data on my iPhone, so if I wanted this kind of connected services (which I don't), I'd just use the phone. Or, for that matter, a unit like the 1695 includes a full year of data in the purchase price and only costs $5/month after that.
  • Garmin's FAQ on this says a typical user would only use 2MB and a very heavy user 20MB.

Pretty small numbers.

Android Market now shows 500-1,000 users.

http://bit.ly/z5FLxU

Rich Owings at GPS Tracklog says this won't work with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich - the FAQ says works with Anroid 2.1 and up
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just looked at my account at AT&T. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears to cost $45/month to add a 4GB personal tethering data plan to my phone (business plan is $60). I don't see any smaller or less expensive options. I guess they assume you would use tethering with a computer and not a GPS.

I have an unlimited data plan already for the phone and that only costs $30/month. That's a legacy from early adopters; new users can't purchase the unlimited plan. A 2GB personal data plan is $25 or an enterprise unlimited plan is $45/mo.

So unless you already have the tethering plan for use with your laptop, I don't think they will get many iPhone users to sign up for this. :twisted:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    but does it use tethering or just your data connection over Bluetooth like the Motorola MotoNav?

Says here:
    "using your existing mobile data plan. There's no need for an additional data connection."
  • I imagine that since this is an app Garmin can easily show the carrier that usage is minimal at worst. All the carriers have Androids. Garmin told Rich Owings that this was not considered tethering.

http//bit.ly/AqQq98
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I don't think it's possible to (legally) establish a bluetooth connection on the iPhone unless you have tethering enabled. How would the phone know the difference between whether it's connected to a computer or a GPS?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I used my iPhone with the Motorola Motonav when I had one and don't have tethering.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Interesting. I have no way to test this on my phone that I can see. How did you set it up? If I go to the tethering menu it tells me my account isn't setup for tethering.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    You just set it up over bluetooth. You would turn on bluetooth on the phone and gps then let them connect to each other.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If I remember correctly, the MotoNav wasn't tethering from the phone's data connection, rather it was actually telling the phone to dial a number and then using audio signals from the connection and converting them to data packets (~ala the sound old school dial-up modems work).
  • AT&T is obviously allowing this for Android phones. If its tethering for an iPhone it would be tethering for an Android phone you would think anyway.

Jeff Carp, who posts here, has a blog up reviewing this app. Its a good read and certainly worthwhile if you are thinking about this.

http//jkcarp.blogspot.com/2012/01/further-testing-of-garmin-smartphone.html
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I have an iPhone 4s and it pairs with my Magellan car kit and my Motonav TN765t at the same time. If a call comes in I get a choice to take it on the iPhone or the Magellan or the Motonav. (decisions, decisions!) I have no tethering plan.

And Tim is correct on how the Motonav "data" connection is made. I did not have a data plan on the old phone and I thought it was a great idea. Only used regular minutes.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That makes sense Tim. Maybe there's a way to do this that I don't know. But if a device connects to the internet via a bluetooth connection to your phone, that sounds like a definition of "tethering" to me.