This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3790lmt mounts

Just got a 3790lmt. Came with a suction mount. Read that this mount may come off depending on the weather (i.e too hot or too cold). Also, that tells a thief that a GPS may be in the car either because it is stuck to the windshield or you see the suction imprint. Anyone with such experiences? Can any one comment on portable friction mounts recommended (2 on Garmin.com: 010-10908-02 and 010-11280-02)) for this GPS? Again, read that bean bag style unit works much better than the other style.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    I bought a bean bag mount for my 350 in 2006, I think it was, and have used it on each of my 4 Nuvi's since then. Currently it's used 100% of the time on my 3790 and it has never moved while sitting on the dash, it can easily be moved out of the way when you want to hide any indication that you have a GPS, and it doesn't mark the dashboard. Unless you have a very sloped dashboard, I'd recommend the bean bag over the friction mount.
  • I'll 2nd that. The beanbag mount is the only one I use for my 1350 and 1490T. Easy to hide and to take it inside the home when not in use.
  • KF2TI 0 Points
    Also remember that in an accident or a real sudden stop, the beanbag mount can fly off an bust your friends nose

Been there done that, used the tshirt to catch the tons o blood that flows after a nose gets broken
  • t923347 432 Points
    I guess, but it's hard to imagine that happening if you place the mount on the lower left side of the dashboard between the windows pillar and the area behind the steering wheel. I've never had my mount even move let alone fall off the dash or become a flying projectile (no accidents, touch wood, but a few very hard stops).
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    it's hard to imagine that happening if you place the mount on the lower left side of the dashboard between the windows pillar and the area behind the steering wheel
    My last 4 cars (Volkswagens) have had airbags in that pillar and warn that nothing should placed where it could obstruct the operation of the airbag. I often see people who mount their GPS with the suction cup in that corner and wonder if their cars have similar airbags and if they are taking this into consideration.
  • Any object in a vehicle will become a projectile in an accident if it is not solidly mounted. I was rear ended last month and my Garmin ended up in the back seat. It was suctioned mounted to the windshield. The suction mount was still in place but the bracket was not solid enough to hold onto the GPS.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I like the friction mount much better then the bean bag mount. The bean bag mount would slide around to much but the the friction mount has never slid. It hasn't made any marks on the dash like how you can bend it to form to the dash. I have been using for a couple years so far.