This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

error 404 with google maps

I've been trying for a few days now to use google maps to add waypoints to my 1300 and 1490LMT. Google maps works just fine, but when I try to add them to either gps, I get a 404 error message. Is it just me?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Possibly ... :wink:

I've just tried and had no problem
  • winston61 82 Points
    would a hard reset possibly help?

Possibly ... :wink:

I've just tried and had no problem
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Wouldn't have thought so ... a 404 error message usually indicates you're trying to access a web page that's not available for some reason.

But I'm not an expert on that sort of stuff, maybe someone else can help :?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I doubt that a hard reset would have any effect. More likely that it's related to Garmin's Communicator plug-in on your computer.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    There is a Garmin Communicator Plugin Test Page:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/
  • mike62ms 0 Points
    This problem started when I tried to send a location to my Garmin GPS from Google Maps. The Garmin WebUpdater Software was updated to a newer version. When I would click on Send to GPS in Google maps, I would get the http 404 error.

I tried several attempts and it would not work. So I went back to an older version of the Garmin WebUpdater software. (I still had the older version installation file saved on my computer).

I installed the older version and went to Google Maps and everything works just like it has before.

Don't know why but when I go to mygarmin page is still shows the version installed as the newer one.

My guess is it is a bug in the latest Webupdater software version. Try installing an older version as I did and see if it also works for you.

Best of Luck to you.
  • I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this problem. Seems huge to me but maybe most people don't care about adding locations from Google Maps. I read somewhere that Garmin says their might be a solution by the Fall. How crazy to take that long to fix a programming glitch. I wonder if Garmin contracts out their software and so doesn't have control over schedules for updates. Just my thoughts.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    This problem started when I tried to send a location to my Garmin GPS from Google Maps. The Garmin WebUpdater Software was updated to a newer version. When I would click on Send to GPS in Google maps, I would get the http 404 error.
    It's not Webupdater that is causing the problem, it is the Garmin Communicator Plugin that is causing the 404 error.

This 404 error started with Communicator Plugin Ver 4.03 (latest).
    Version 4.01 worked properly.

I had a backup of V 4.01 and installed it after uninstalling V 4.03.
    Went to Communicator test page and it indicated V 4.01 installed properly.
    Everything worked fine with a route selection in Google Maps and instructed to send to my Garmin GPS.

This is where the trouble began . I received a message box stating there is a new version of Communicator Plugin available. The only option I had was to install it, I could not refuse the installation. Naturally I didn't install since I knew the 404 error message would appear again.

I'm not ceratin on who is at fault here, is it Google or Garmin. I Just wanted to advise others who may attempt to install v4.01 that it's a waste of time since it won't work.
  • alanb 539 Points
    There was a discussion of this problem over on the POI Factory forum. It seems to be a conflict between Google maps and the latest version of the Garmin Communicator plugin. It is not clear whether it is a problem with Google or Garmin, but hopefully it will get fixed.
  • babj615 41 Points
    There was a discussion of this problem over on the POI Factory forum. It seems to be a conflict between Google maps and the latest version of the Garmin Communicator plugin. It is not clear whether it is a problem with Google or Garmin, but hopefully it will get fixed.
    I think it is very clear. How could it be Google's problem?
  • alfredo87 0 Points
    Hello all,

yes I believe the error is the plugin from Garmin.
    I have the following message that I sent to Garmin:
    I have tried Chrome, Safari and Firefox: ALL are the same!

My hardware:
    nüvi 1340 lifetime maps
    iMac 20in OS X 10.7.4
    Safari 5.1.7
    Garmin Communicator PlugIn 4.0.3

When using Google maps send to GARMIN GPS function the my.garmin.com website returns the following error message:

"An HTTP 404 Error has occurred.The page you requested does not exist."

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING since it worked perfectly with
    Garmin Communicator PlugIn 4.0.1 and 2
    On your forum there are many people writing about this: my question is what can I do about it with or without your help.
    Please note that it is VERY BAD PRACTICE FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES TO LOOSE FUNCTIONALITIES!
    Normally software is improved not made worse!!
    Please please reply to this email since I do many road trips and cannot use my Garmin nuvi 1340 anymore.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    On your forum there are many people writing about this: my question is what can I do about it with or without your help.
    This forum has no affiliation whatsoever with Garmin. It is a place where users share their experiences and try to help each other. Garmin has a forum specifically devoted to the communicator plug-in for the Mac here:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

The Garmin forum for the Windows version of communicator is here:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193

But really, if you want to get results you need to contact Garmin support.

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact
  • alanb 539 Points
    The new version of the Communicator plugin works fine on Mapquest and with my.Garmin, so I will not be surprised if it turns out to be a problem in Google maps. A 404 error means "Page not found", so it appears Google is referencing an invalid link on Garmin's site. It will be interesting to see whether whether this problem gets fixed within Google or if we will need to install yet another new version of Communicator to fix it.
  • As of July 16, 2012, google maps seems to be fixed and transfered a location for me to Garmin Communicator with no update to the communicator program. Thanks, Google.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well, Garmin actually claims that they fixed it. :twisted:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=28677
    REMAGI
    Desktop App Developer

Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The web team was able to fix the issue in the last update. Please let us know if you encounter any more issues.

Regards
    Garmin Engineering
  • alanb 539 Points
    I suppose Garmin could have fixed it on the my.garmin website, since a 404 error is for "page not found" on a website. Whether it was Google or Garmin that fixed it, the fix apparently didn't require a new version of the Communicator plugin.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If anyone continues to have problems with this, you might want to follow REMAGI's advice above and respond to the thread at Garmin's forum using the link I posted.

I've added this thread to our own troubleshooting sticky.