This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Importing my Lifetime Maps into Basecamp.

Hi Guys,

Just read about Basecamp on here, and downloaded it from the link supplied.

It's using the Base map at the moment (not much detail).

Is there an easy way to get my Lifetime Maps to download into Basecamp or will I need to transfer it from my 2460?

Regards,

Paul

Comments

• SergZak 340 Points
    I believe all you need to do is connect your nuvi to the PC with Basecamp installed and Basecamp will read the maps directly from the GPS unit. The maps will be used as any other normal Basecamp-installed maps would be, although more slowly since it has to read them directly from the nuvi's internal memory, which is very slow compared to a hard drive.
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    My experience is that when using the Nuvi maps on a newer device with USB 2.0, it is quite responsive. Not much different from a map that is installed on your hard drive.

You can also copy the contents of your Nuvi's internal memory to a USB flash drive and Basecamp with see it as if it were the actual GPS. This will also give you a nice backup of your 2460.

However, it's possible to use the lifetime updater to actually install the files on your computer. I don't have lifetime maps myself, so somebody else will have to explain the exact menu buttons to click.
  • alanb 556 Points
    edited October 2012
    Paul, if you want to download again and install the map on your computer, you can log into your my.Garmin.com account, select myMaps > Download > Download Map Updater. You will need to connect your nuvi to run Map Updater. It will say you have already installed the map, but you can select "Install again". When you get to the screen with the "Install Options" button, select that, then select "Install to computer only". Allow the install to complete, and you will have the map installed on the computer and accessible by BaseCamp.
  • class3 52 Points
    However, it's possible to use the lifetime updater to actually install the files on your computer. I don't have lifetime maps myself, so somebody else will have to explain the exact menu buttons to click.
    Yes, this is possible. Just connect your Nuvi to your computer and run MapUpdater. It will contact the Garmin servers to validate the Nuvi serial number and then it will ask if you want to reinstall the maps. Say yes then on the next screen select Install Options and then select Install to Computer Only.

• Yes, this is possible. Just connect your Nuvi to your computer and run MapUpdater. It will contact the Garmin servers to validate the Nuvi serial number and then it will ask if you want to reinstall the maps. Say yes then on the next screen select Install Options and then select Install to Computer Only.
    Hi there,

If I do this will Basecamp just find the Map, or do I have to find the correct directory.

Regards,

Paul
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    When you install maps, it's all taken care of by the software. Basecamp will know how to find the map.
  • Hi again,

I just tried to get my map onto the PC by running lifetime updater, but it spent the rest of the day updating my Garmin.

I didn't get the option to save to PC, maybe because my Garmin was out of date.

When it's finished updating (it's veryfying download at the moment), I'll run it again and see if I get the "Save to PC" option.

Does it always take all day to do an update?

Regards,

Paul
  • alanb 556 Points
    I don't use the Lifetime Updater program, so I don't know where (or IF) the option to install to computer comes up. If you follow the steps in my post above and use Map Updater instead of Lifetime Updater, you will see the screen with the "Install Options" button.
  • I've never used the lifetime updater, just the Garmin MapUpdater each time a new map is released. And yes, if you choose the "install to computer" option, Basecamp should find the map with no action needed on your part.

One small tip -- I noticed a while ago that when you install a map to the computer, the previous map is not removed (like it is on the nuvi), so they keep piling up on the hard drive. After several updates this can consume quite a bit of space. You should be able to remove old maps (assuming you're on Windows) through the control panel "add/remove programs" or "programs and features" app, depending on your version of windows.
  • Hi Guys,

I finally cracked it.

On the main Lifetime Updater Screen, click Settings (in Bottom Left Corner)

In settings click Installation.

In installation there are 3 options to install to:-

Device Only

Device and Computer

Computer Only

Select the one you want and away you go.

Regards,

Paul :D