This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

with the cold ,my garmin boils ,how can i avoid?

Hi

well here we are in winter and it's bloody cold

with my car heating on , my nuvi on windshield boils

today , i had a short trip 70km and i had to dismount my nuvi because it was so hot really very very hot

what can i do ?

thanks

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Mount the unit someplace where it isn't so hot? :wink:
  • Jeeps 81 Points
    Would you mention the nuvi unit you have. There was a battery recall in some nuvi's last year?? Your unit may be one of those affected.

I'd check on Garmins site to see if there is any recall information still up on site.

One last thing to look at. Are you using the Garmin supplied power cord? I imagine you are, but if not I have heard of units being used with aftermarket cords supplying the wrong wattage toa unit causing the battery to become hot.

Good luck.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Note that he lists Nuvi 2495 as his location. :) All the nuvi's will stop charging the battery if the temperature gets too high. This is a safety feature to prevent batteries from exploding.
  • drugo 91 Points
    Would you mention the nuvi unit you have. There was a battery recall in some nuvi's last year?? Your unit may be one of those affected.

I'd check on Garmins site to see if there is any recall information still up on site.

One last thing to look at. Are you using the Garmin supplied power cord? I imagine you are, but if not I have heard of units being used with aftermarket cords supplying the wrong wattage toa unit causing the battery to become hot.

Good luck.
    yesterday i used a 2545 and the car heating on warms the windshield (where is mounted the garmin)
    thanks
  • drugo 91 Points
    Note that he lists Nuvi 2495 as his location. :) All the nuvi's will stop charging the battery if the temperature gets too high. This is a safety feature to prevent batteries from exploding.
    i used a nuvi 2545 yesterday . how do i know if there is a recall about this model ?

thanks
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    There is no recall. The recall involved defective batteries on units that were made a number of years ago.
  • drugo 91 Points
    There is no recall. The recall involved defective batteries on units that were made a number of years ago.
    sorry for my english
    but your car heating system should warm windshield ,right?
    and the garmin is mounted on the windshield
  • Ram Mounts...

http://rammount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx#/

makes a variety of mount styles, including windshield mounts that will extend the GPS farther from the windshield, and perhaps out of the defroster air flow. You must have one heck of a heater!