This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Large JVC file for City Navigator 2013.30

As of this posting the large JVC file which maybe needed for Nuvi models with limited internal storage is NOT available but if past updates are any indication the file will be found at http://download.garmin.com/support/2013_30/NA/JV/D3060080A.JCV when Garmin makes it available. This will probably happen in the next couple of days.

Comments

• Has anyone had any success getting this JVC ?

Ron
  • Negative as of 1605 EST this date. Maybe next week I hope.
  • Will the larger JVC file for the 2013.3 map function properly with the Garmin 2555LM?
  • t923347 532 Points
    It will function fine but it will replace the 2555's split screen views with full screen views. You don't really need the downloadable file as it will not give you any more views than you already have, just a change from split screen to full screen.
  • I will give the larger JVC file a try when it becomes available and see if I prefer the full screen over the split.

Thanks for the info.
  • sviking 141 Points
    It will function fine but it will replace the 2555's split screen views with full screen views. You don't really need the downloadable file as it will not give you any more views than you already have, just a change from split screen to full screen.
    I was wondering about that. The file on my 3790T (also supports split screen) was only 459 MB. I'm guessing the larger file is because of "bigger pictures" and not more junction views, correct?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I can't make any logical connection as to which units are updated with the large ~700 MB JV file. Clearly, available memory is not the only deciding factor here.

My nuvi 765 is always updated with the file, I'm assuming because I left the previous large file (which I had to download and manually place the first time) on the unit before the updates. When the 765 was first released, it did NOT have that a large of a JV file...I don't believe it was any larger than say, ~150 MB.

My nuvi 3790 and 3490 are *not* updated with the large file, despite having a lot more available memory than the 765 does. These units always receive the smaller ~450 MB split screen file. However, I have not experimented with these units by placing the large JV file from the 765 on them before doing the update to see if they'll automatically get the updated large JV file.

Just another Garmin head-scratcher... :roll:
  • alanb 556 Points
    SergZak, I think Garmin downloads the JCV file based on the model number, not what JCV file you previously had installed. I have manually copied the large JCV to my 855, but when I do a map update I always get the small file and have to manually replace it with the large one. On the other hand, the 755T always gets the large JCV file with the map update.

I hear what you are saying about the original JCV on the 7x5 series being the small file (back with the 2009/2010 and some 2011 map versions). But I think it was that way with all nuvi's back then. I don't remember which map version it was when Garmin started expanding the JCV coverage and changed to the photo-realistic images. But that is when the JCV file size increased on the 7x5. I don't recall that I ever got the expanded JCV with a map update on the 855. The file I get with the map update on the 855 has very limited coverage and has the old cartoonish images instead of the photo real ones.

I think the files you get with your 3790 and 3490 do have full JCV coverage. They are smaller only because they are split screen.
  • My nuvi 765 is always updated with the file, I'm assuming because I left the previous large file (which I had to download and manually place the first time) on the unit before the updates. When the 765 was first released, it did NOT have that a large of a JV file...I don't believe it was any larger than say, ~150 MB.
    That's my observation as well. When the "large" JCV file started generating a lot of discussion here a year or two ago, and the separate download link was posted, I went and looked and found that my 765 had a small JCV file. After cleaning out some voices and help files, I manually downloaded and installed the large file. Ever since then the larger file downloads itself with each map update, with no action needed from me.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I think Garmin downloads the JCV file based on the model number, not what JCV file you previously had installed.
    It may be a combination of model number, installed JV file at the time of the update and available memory on the unit at the time of update. It makes me wonder exactly which JV file you'd get if you:

a. Had enough memory to hold the large JV file
    b. Had the smallest JV installed on the unit at time of update
  • t923347 532 Points

I was wondering about that. The file on my 3790T (also supports split screen) was only 459 MB. I'm guessing the larger file is because of "bigger pictures" and not more junction views, correct?
    That's correct, the 700+MB full screen file and the 459MB split screen file have the same number of views. The difference is because of individual picture file size. Basically when you have a picture half the size of a full screen picture, the file is half as big. Not exactly half but close enough. :wink:
  • sviking 141 Points
    That's correct, the 700+MB full screen file and the 459MB split screen file have the same number of views. The difference is because of individual picture file size. Basically when you have a picture half the size of a full screen picture, the file is half as big. Not exactly half but close enough. :wink:
    Yes, but it also depends on resolution. You can have a "smaller" picture actually be a larger file size because of higher pixel density. The 3790T has a much higher resolution screen than some of the other units with the full screen junction views.
  • Anyone get this JVC file ?
  • SkipD 91 Points
    I updated the map for my 755 a few days ago. The JVC file byte count is 793,138,402 (774,550 KB in XP's Windows Explorer) and is dated 1 Nov 2012.
  • What URL did you use?

http://download.garmin.com/support/2013_30/NA/JV/D3060080A.JCV

is giving me "File not found"
  • alanb 556 Points
    Aloke, on the 7x5 series, the large JCV file should download automatically wth the map update. Unfortunately Garmin does not distribute the large JCV with the map update for the 8x5 series.

Since I have a 755T and an 855, both with lifetime updates, I always update my 755T first. Then, when I update the 855, I just copy the large JCV file over to it from the 755T.
  • Good idea! I'll get the file when I update my 765. I gave it to my father-in-law when I got the 855.
  • t923347, I currently have the 2013.20 map with the large JCV file on my 1490T. Will the large JCV file D3060070A.JCV work with the 2013.30 map update? Thanks.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    In the past the jcv files have been linked to the map IIRC so I suspect the answer is no :wink:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    As sussamb mentioned, the JCV files are tied to their particular map version. Using an older JCV with a newer map likely won't work. I've tested this extensively in the past, however if something has changed since then, I don't know about it.

As others have mentioned here, I also got the large JCV file when I updated my 765. It still does not seem to be available for direct download from the usual place.
  • sussamb & SergZak, Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured it wouldn't work. I reckon I will stay with my 2013.20 map for now. It looks like the large JCV file for the 2013.30 map will not be released. I hope I am wrong. :(
  • jimirb 81 Points
    I emailed Garmin support today to ask if, when and where it will be released. I'll post whatever response I receive.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Here is the disappointing response I received.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The Junction View files are installed in the device along with the map update. We will not be releasing an additional Junction View file to be installed in the device to give you more split views while you are on the highway than is introduced with the City Navigator North America NT 2013.30 map update. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Oh well......
  • alanb 556 Points
    I wonder if you might get a different response if you called them instead of using email support. One thing that doesn't make sense in the response you received is the "split views" comment. Your nuvi doesn't have split screen JCV does it? It is a real letdown if Garmin is no longer making the large JCV file available to owners of 8x5 and 1xxx owners.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    You are probably right. I told them my Nuvi is a 1450 so they should be aware it isn't a split screen model.....plus, this was the second response from them. The first one was completely off topic, completely ignoring the question about the large file and telling me that the JVC file downloads with the map. I sent them a follow-up response and this is what I got back.

I'll try to give them a call later today.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    I bit the bullet and called. On hold for 30 minutes but finally got a rep who said there will be NO large JVC files released, other than as part of the map update for supporting units, after 2013.20.

His only suggestion was to find someone who got it as part of their unit's download, find a way to get a copy, then try it and see if it will work.

Bummer!!!!
  • alanb 556 Points
    That is a shame. I am guessing it caused too many support issues with users not being able to get it installed correctly. I hope they continue distributing it with the map update to the 7x5 owners. As long as they do that I will have the file to copy over to my 855.

There is a user over on the POI Factory forum who has made the file available. If you search, you will find the post.
  • alanb, Thanks for the tip. I located the user on the POI Factory forum, "rame1012". In the searchbox I put in rame1012. The third topic down, 2013.30NA is where I found the D3060080A Zip file. I found the Zip file on page3 of the topic where rame1012 provides the link from dropboxDotCom.
    The Zip file downloaded as a 619mb file but expands to 774mb when unzipped. Will try it out when I update my 1490T with the 20113.30 map update.
  • It seems that the large JCV file is large because it has full-screen versions of the junction view images instead of split-screen versions.

Do the large versions also have more number of junction views?

For those of us who use 855: Will using the larger file (from say 765) give us more # of junction views?
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Here's a link to the file on dropbox that Aviator327 found.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mka71p3saa16il6/UUbMf0qNKy/D3060080A.JCV
  • t923347 532 Points
    Do the large versions also have more number of junction views?
    The large file has more views than the default file on some older units like the 1xxx or 2xx, and possibly the 8xx Nuvi's. If your unit is getting a file that's less than a few hundred MB in size then the large file will have lots of additional views.

If your Nuvi is getting a 400MB file and supports split screen junction views then the large 700+MB file will not give you any addtional views. All this file does is give you full screen views instead of split screen views. Larger pictures equal larger file size. :)
  • alanb 556 Points
    For those of us who use 855: Will using the larger file (from say 765) give us more # of junction views?
    Aloke, not only will you get many, many more junction views on your 855 if you copy the large JCV file over from your 765, the images in the large file are photo realistic instead of the cartoon-like images in the small file that came with your 855 map update. You can test this out ... create the same fairly long route involving interstates on both units, click "GO". Click on the top green bar of the navigation screen to get to the turn-by-turn list. Click on the first turn in the list, then scroll through the turns using the down arrow. When the "Lane Assist" button is highlighted on a turn, press it to see the junction view image for that intersection. Compare the number and image quality of the 765 with the small JCV file on the 855. I think you will see quite a difference for most routes.
  • Has anybody had any luck with the Dropbox JCV file listed above. I tried it on my 1490LMT in both my microSD \Garmin\JCV and my .System\JCV folders and didn't get any junction views on a dry run to downtown Las Vegas. The little JCV that came with 2013.3 gave me three junction views on the same dry run. Dry run = route to a point and manually step through the turn by directions.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    I haven't instslled it yet. I downloaded it last night to my desktop and will transfer it to the Nuvi tomorrow. I did, however, read several posts on poi-factory from people who had used it successfully. Not sure what model nuvi they said they have.

I have a 1450LMT. I'll post once I install and try it out.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Has anybody had any luck with the Dropbox JCV file listed above. I tried it on my 1490LMT in both my microSD \Garmin\JCV and my .System\JCV folders and didn't get any junction views on a dry run to downtown Las Vegas. The little JCV that came with 2013.3 gave me three junction views on the same dry run. Dry run = route to a point and manually step through the turn by directions.
    Works great according to this user:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/180743/#180743
  • alanb 556 Points
    Has anybody had any luck with the Dropbox JCV file listed above. I tried it on my 1490LMT in both my microSD \Garmin\JCV and my .System\JCV folders and didn't get any junction views on a dry run to downtown Las Vegas. The little JCV that came with 2013.3 gave me three junction views on the same dry run. Dry run = route to a point and manually step through the turn by directions.
    Did you remember to unzip it first and make sure the file name and extension are correct after it is unzipped?
  • It shows as a 652 MB JCV file not a Zip file. When I try to un-archive with 7zip, 7zip rejects it.
  • alanb 556 Points
    Something is not right. It should be 756 MB after unzipping.

On a related matter, it was reported on POI Factory that Dropbox has shut down the link because it was generating too much traffic. I am not surprised. Shame on Garmin for abandoning its loyal customers on this. They should make the file available as they have done in the past.
  • I had success with this jvc file.....

I had first uploaded it to the memory card ( JVC Directory ) it did not work.

I then accessed the internal JVC directory, deleted the jvc file that was in there and replaced it with the new jvc file and it worked...

Ron
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Yup.....I checked the Dropbox link and it is shut down. It's realy shameful that Garmin has abandoned its owners to such an extent that our demand can shut down the site.

That doesn't portend well for ways to get future releases. (unless we set up "rolling" DropBox, Skydrive, etc sites.)

May I respectfully suggest any of us who have a concern about this send an email to Garmin expressing our concern. Maybe if they get flooded with enough feedback, they will understand the ill will they have created.

I will certainly fire off another email to Garmin tomorrow.
  • alanb 556 Points
    Another concern I have is that Garmin will quit providing the full coverage full screen JCV file altogether since all the newer units use split screen Junction View. The models I am aware of that have full screen junction views are the 7x5, 8x5 and 1xxx. Maybe the truck friendly 465T also has it? And I am not familiar enough with the Zumo models to know if any of them use full screen JCV.

But with the 2013.30 map update, as far as I can tell, the 7x5 is the only model series that gets the large full coverage full screen photo realistic JCV file with the map update. Does anyone know of any other models? Will Garmin continue providing the large full coverage JCV for the aging 7x5 series on future map updates? I wouldn't bet on it.

It is too bad Turboccc has dropped out of the forums. We need someone like him with the talent and programming skills to reverse engineer the JCV file to see if it would be possible to attach a JCV file from an older map version to a newer map.
  • popej 57 Points
    Do you really prefer full screen picture over half screen?

In my opinion LA is easier to read, portrait mode gives a better view of map and hiding map before a maneuver is a bad idea. At least 3 reasons to drop full screen JCV.

JCV is a part of the map. I can see that it contains IDs of each tile. I would expect that pictures are connected to a position by road ID. You would have not only to know JCV format but format of NT img too.
  • Installed the 2013.30 map this morning to my 1490T. I then installed the large JCV file which I d/l from dropbox on Friday. Took the 1490 for a test drive and I am seeing all of the JV's that I had with the previous large JCV file for the 2013.20 map. A big thank you to "rame1012" for providing this file to us Garmin customers. :D
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    In my opinion LA is easier to read, portrait mode gives a better view of map and hiding map before a maneuver is a bad idea.
    I agree with you popej, but we seem to be in the minority here. I hate the idea of something that pops up randomly and hides the map. I have always found lane assist more useful than junction view also.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Loaded the Dropbox file into my 1450LMT. Works FINE.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    The Dropbox link is back up.....at least for the moment.
  • Loaded the Dropbox file into my 1450LMT. Works FINE.
    When did you download it, and how large was it? Windows reports "684,277,458 bytes" on my download. My download time was 11/10/2012 between 7:46AM and 9:33 AM MST.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    11-09 at 10:56 PM CST. 756mb
  • Tried the Dropbox again (7PM MST Sunday, 11/11). This time the download was the full 756MB JCV file. That file worked fine on a dry run.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Looks like the Dropbox is down again because of excessive traffic.

Shame on Garmin for forcing its loyal owners to have to go thru all this just to get the max usefulness from their unit!!!