This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuMaps Lifetime North America 2013.30 released 10/31/2012

Please use this topic to discuss the NA 2013.30 maps

Comments

• AndreyT 105 Points
    edited November 2012
    This is the first time my 3490 complained about insufficient room for full North America map coverage (even though I have deleted all pictures and all audio books). I had to insert a SD card to install the full map.

I have all American English and British English voices downloaded to my device though. I wonder if that was what took extra space.

Just checked the space available... The unit itself reports 4867 Mb used and 2959 Mb free, while the 'Garmin' folder with map data on the SD card is only 1922 Mb. It looks like there's enough room on the device. I don't know why it refuses to install it on my device directly and asks for SD card.
  • alanb 549 Points
    AudreyT, when you connect your nuvi to a computer, how much free space and used space does it show on the nuvi internal storage?

Edit: you edited your post while I was typing. Yes, it should have fit ... very odd that you had to use the SD card.
  • I hope i am on the correct post. I wrote above that I am having trouble downloading the latest map update. I have a I Mac desk top . When i connect to the map updater the download circle seems to spin forever and an extremely slow down load happens, it would take an entire day and a half to down load the map at the speed it is going at. I have a high speed internet access,rebooted the computer and internet connection to no avail. I have down loaded maps in the past with no problem. Can anyone help me?
    Thank you all for your suggestions Paul O
  • alanb 549 Points
    Are you using the Lifetime Updater program, or the online (my.garmin.com) Map Updater? We suggest using the Map Updater rather than the Lifetime Updater.

If you are using the Map Updater, how long have you waited before cancelling. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the progress bar calculation to "settle in". When I downloadded for my nuvi 855, it started by saying the download would take over 1000 hours. After 5 minutes or so, it had settled down to a more reasonable 85 minutes. The actual download step took a little over an hour. I have 18 Mbps cable modem Internet service.
  • Sweet, this new map has my correction that I posted to Navteq back in August. Navteq map reporter website is slow to update, on that website my suggestion is still not there and marked as 'in progress'.
  • Thank you for your advise. I was using the map updater, and I left the Nuvi to download at 12:20 midnight and it was complete by 2:30 A.M. I guess that as someone else wrote in earlier, that due to Sandy and everyone trying to get the new map update everything was at a snails pace. At this point the update is in the Garmin and just hoping that there are no bugs in the software. Thank you all for your help, you are a wonderful group of people.
    Paul O
  • class3 52 Points
    I updated the maps on my 3490LMT yesterday and I think I found a problem. The new maps seem to disregard your previously saved speed corrections.

I previously had 6.50 software and 2013.10 maps. I backed up the 2013.10 maps and my speed corrections file (speed.db). The map update automatically updated the software to 7.20 and then updated the maps to 2013.30. When I started using it, I noticed the "+" sign appeared on roads I had previously added the speed limit.

First I tried a hard reset (and even cleared the NV memory), then copied my backed up speed.db file to the unit. This didn't fix the problem.

Then I tried downgrading the software back to 6.50. This didn't fix it either.

Finally I replaced the 2013.30 maps with my backup of my 2013.10 maps (still keeping 6.50 software) and it worked. I got my speed corrections back.

So for 34xx and 35xx users out there, let us know if you experience this same problem.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I updated the maps on my 3490LMT yesterday and I think I found a problem. The new maps seem to disregard your previously saved speed corrections.
    Have you previously done a map update and had your speed limit settings intact from the previous map?

I have not kept track of this but my thinking is that the new maps naturally have their own updated speed corrections along with changes in the map itself so a new database would need to be created. Or perhaps in this new map version, the file format for the speed corrections is different. Or maybe it's similar to how the speech recognition files and Junction View files are tied to a particular map version and won't work with any other.
  • AndreyT 105 Points

Have you previously done a map update and had your speed limit settings intact from the previous map?
    Well, it is understood that map update normally erases all manual speed corrections. I think previous poster is perfectly aware of that. That is not the issue.

The issue is that he took deliberate steps to preserve these corrections by manually backing up the 'speed.db' file before update and manually restoring it after update. Apparently, this procedure normally allowed one to transfer the previously made manual speed corrections to the new map. And, apparently, it no longer works with the latest map update. That's what this question is about.
  • class3 52 Points
    Yes, if I recall correctly. However, it has been a while since I've done a map update. I might have to do some testing to verify this. But logically, the speed limit corrections should carry over to the new maps otherwise you'd have to reprogram them all over again each time you do a map update.
    Well, it is understood that map update normally erases all manual speed corrections. I think previous poster is perfectly aware of that. That is not the issue.
    Actually, a map update normally doesn't delete the 'speed.db' file. However, a hard reset will.

New maps will have new speed limit data, but the 'speed.db' file is a form of user map correction so I would think it would override any of the native map data. That's why I'm able to change the speed limits on even roads that already have a speed limit.

As I mentioned before, logically this 'speed.db' file should be compatible with any future mapsets (like the way a GPX file works), otherwise the user would have to manually reprogram all those speed limits again for each mapset. This would be really bad!!
  • popej 57 Points
    But logically, the speed limit corrections should carry over to the new maps otherwise you'd have to reprogram them all over again each time you do a map update.
    Logically new map should bring you corrected limits. I think synchronizing user settings between different maps could be quite demanding task for Garmin.
  • class3 52 Points
    But logically, the speed limit corrections should carry over to the new maps otherwise you'd have to reprogram them all over again each time you do a map update.

Logically new map should bring you corrected limits. I think synchronizing user settings between different maps could be quite demanding task for Garmin.
    Yes,the new map has new data, but it's not complete. Thus Garmin allows the user to add or correct the speed limits on some models. These corrections happen on top of the road map data (which remains mostly unchanged). I'm just saying one would expect to be able to reuse these corrections on the next mapset. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to offer this feature if you can't reuse your corrections.
  • I have a long and growing list of tasks to complete before attempting a map update. The latest is waiting until the middle of the night before attempting an update. Among other things is holding my mouth right and hoping the update stars are aligned. It is unreasonable to hope for quick, given the demands on Garmin servers. And it seems unreasonable to think that Lifetime Updater will make it any simpler. I see it as a fact of gps ownership that updates will be a lingering pita. This is not a rant or complaint, merely the acceptance that updates are a pain and this must be accepted. See you in the ether. :D
  • Atlee 81 Points
    I just finished updating my 855. Began the process at 8:15pm. Was finished with the install by 9:03pm.

Not bad, about 45 minutes from beginning to completely finished.
  • :oops: My nuvi750 will not install the new 2013 map, it says it needs more memory space. I have a brand new 8G sandisk sdhc card installed (tried an Lexar 4G with same results).
    Using a MAC 10.7 system with the Lifetime map updater install.
    It worked with MAC 10.6 when it installed the 2012 map.
    My computer shows the Garmin and my SDHC card, but will not installed the map to the SD card, at the Garmin error panel with three choices when I punch the add SD card it shuts itself down.
    I downloaded the smaller NE map and it errors on installation!!
    Awaiting Garmin solution.
    My Nuvi250 has the same problem, Lifetime updater does not recognize the SD card in the Nuvi. Same on a WIN-7 computer with the Lifetime Map updater!
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Not exactly sure what's going on there but you might first check to see if the cards are formatted as FAT32?
  • t923347 432 Points
    What happens when you go to your MyGarmin.com account and use myMaps to install the Garmin Mapupdater program and use it to install the maps?

The lifetime update program causes all kinds of problems for all kinds of users. :evil:
  • I checked the cards, they are formated in FAT32, and I can place photos from my computer on the the SDHC cards through the Garmin Nuvi750.

I have not tried mymaps I don't think.
    I did however go to www.garmin.com/mapupdates. Logged in and it recognized my NUVI750 on my MAC system. It offered my to download both on my computer and Nuvi. When it did it said Not enough room, I selected the "add SD" card and it said checking card and the process crashed leaving me with my Mac-desktop.

Thanks for the help, I will go to mygarmin.com and try to use mymaps to install the Garmin Mapupdater program (I thought I did, but, cannot not find it on my computer. :cry:
  • :D :D Thanks, thanks
    I did get my map installed by going to mygarmin as advised.
    This leads me to two questions
    1. where does Garmin store the map, what is the correct nomenclature to search my HD to remove the 4 extra copies of the 2013.30 map?
    2. Is there a backup/save program available like the iQue3600 BackupMan?

:P :P Thanks again

Steve Anderson
  • t923347 432 Points
    As far as your second question is concerned, all the files on your 750 are visible to the computers operating system so simply doing a copy of all the files on the Nuvi to a folder on your computer should give you a full backup. Sorry I'm not a MAC guy so I don't know the proper terms that you would use.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Adding to that, what makes you think you have 4 extra copies of the 2013.30 map? You may have a copy, but almost certainly not four.

Do you really want to remove it? If you run Garmin's Basecamp you should be able to view it and it will also be helpful as a backup in future :wink:
  • kenp 92 Points
    Is discussion of the map, rather than disucssion of problems installing it, on topic for this thread? :)

I just took my first trip with the new map, and found a tremendous improvement. Going from the DC area to Hampton, VA, when I got onto I-95 the screen showed 85 (or so) miles to the exit to I-295. With prior map versions it would show a series of shorter distance, like 10 miles to I-95, then give a prompt to stay to the left to turn onto I-95 as I'd pass an exit.

Definitely nice for the Nuvi to show the distance to the next actual nav point, rather than to an exit that I presume represents a node in the highway data base. And to not have the extraneous voice cues.

Ken

PS - no problem installing the update, using the old (non-lifetlime) method.