This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Uh Oh!!

well my mother decided to throw my GPS in my lunch bag on Mon Dec 31 and she didnt realize there was a slight bit of water in the bottom of my lunch box. Anyway i got GPS to use today and the top of it was wet where the on/off and lock switch is, and my screen is now blotchy and has what looks like pressed water spots under the top screen.

Any ideas on how to dry it out without damage. GPS still works and sounds normal but the screen is hard to see in some conditions.

Any ideas?

Comments

• alanb 557 Points
    You could try putting it in a ziploc bag with 1/2 cup of dry rice grains. Seal it up and let it sit for a few days. The rice might draw the moisture out of the unit.
  • You could try putting it in a ziploc bag with 1/2 cup of dry rice grains. Seal it up and let it sit for a few days. The rice might draw the moisture out of the unit.
    Interesting solution. Maybe place the unit in the ziplock bag with the on\off
    switch on the top of the unit facing down into the rice and let it drain.
    While storing, position the bag so it stands upright and permits the liquid to drain down into the rice.

Under no circumstances would I turn the unit on again before it dries out.
    If that doesn't work perhaps use a hair dryer on low setting by turning the unit upside down and using the warm air to attempt to evaporate.
    Hopefully the liquid had no coloration to it that may permanently be visible on the LCD screen.
  • t923347 533 Points
    It's been awhile, thank goodness, but I used the hair dryer to dry out my old 350 and it still works fine. The rice idea is interesting, never thought of that. :)
  • well i have no choice but to use it due to my job. i used it all day today and worked flawlessly, just hard to see some of the lettering on it due to the water marks making screen appear darker and being blotchy. i will try the rice idea this weekend.
  • Please let us know if you had success with the rice method.

I think possibly you may still have liquid between the LCD screen and the digitizer (touchscreen), or worst case, the LCD screen is permanently damaged. The screen on the outside of the GPS is the digitizer, behind it is the LCD screen, these are two separate components. The liquid may have seeped between the two.

If you have a lot of treasured favorites I would back them up now so in the event the unit needs to be replaced you will still have your favorites that can be copied to the replacement init.

Below is a link to a video that will display what I'm talking about.
    I would not attempt this unless you're willing to gamble and accept the fact you can ruin the unit completely.

• ozarkie 89 Points
    If you have a camera supply store nearby, they usually have larger packets of silica gel. Get one or two, place in a ziploc bag with the unit. You can also get them online nearly everywhere.
  • Please let us know if you had success with the rice method.

I think possibly you may still have liquid between the LCD screen and the digitizer (touchscreen), or worst case, the LCD screen is permanently damaged. The screen on the outside of the GPS is the digitizer, behind it is the LCD screen, these are two separate components. The liquid may have seeped between the two.

If you have a lot of treasured favorites I would back them up now so in the event the unit needs to be replaced you will still have your favorites that can be copied to the replacement init.

Below is a link to a video that will display what I'm talking about.
    I would not attempt this unless you're willing to gamble and accept the fact you can ruin the unit completely.

i bet your right...i probably have liquid between the screens. Will rice dry that up or is it pretty much sealed in there?
  • bet your right...i probably have liquid between the screens. Will rice dry that up or is it pretty much sealed in there?
    I don't know, I never experienced that problem. The rice may work, or the liquid stained the glass and the rice won't help, or possibly permanently damaged the electronics in the LCD screen.
    Only way to find out is to use the rice method or hair dryer if that fails.
  • ozarkie 89 Points
    I don't know why the obsession with rice. Forget the rice...and the hair dryer is a good way to permanently damage your unit.

Get silica gel!! If rice was better, then they would put it in camera and electronic equipment. :roll:
  • Tim 1497 Points
    I don't know why the obsession with rice.
    Getting the electronics dry quickly is important, rather than letting the moisture sit around for a few days. Most people have rice on hand in their house, but probably not silica gel. I don't think people are saying rice is better, just that it is much easier find quickly and does a pretty good job.
  • Ethanol also clears what is left from the water.
  • Ethanol also clears what is left from the water.
    the only "ethanol" i know of is gasoline....im not gonna dip or apply gasoline to my GPS hah
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Ethanol is a gasoline additive. This is what ethanol itself looks like. :D

• yummmy,

on a side note, i just poured about 6 cups of rice into a ziploc bag with GPS on/off switch side down. I will let that sit through Monday AM and see what happens. i also attempted to "vacuum seal" it by putting my mouth over the middle top of the bag and sucking out as i continued to seal it.
  • kenp 92 Points
    If the rice doesn't work, you can get silica gel at a craft store. People use it for drying flowers.

Ethanol has higher uses than as a gas additive...but it's not really known for drying out. :)

Ken
  • ok so...if rice does NOT work to dry it out....how will silica gel be any different...does it have a higher rating or something to dry things or will it be beating the same horse with 2 bats.
  • I most certainly hope I'm wrong, but quite frankly I do think you won't correct the problem. Electronics are very sensitive to moisture and especially liquid seeping in. I think the LCD screen is permanently damaged.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but a rule of thumb I always use regarding moisture and electronics is to let the device acclimate to the new temperature before turning on. It could be from cold to warm or vice versa. Condensation can destroy electronics since it’s a conductor of electricity.

But please keep us posted, we're never too old to learn as well as sharing our experiences so others may benefit.
  • kenp 92 Points
    ....how will silica gel be any different...
    Rice would have come from a box that's not hermetically sealed...it would have moisture from the atmosphere. Kind of like drying something with a moist towel. Fresh silica gel would be dry...or you can dry it by putting it in the oven. Now you have the equivalent of a dry towel.

Willyboy may be right about the screen being permanently damaged. But I've had some amazing luck in having electronic devices coming back to life when dried out after some real soakings.

Ken
  • well ill try the rice and see what happens....if that doesnt work i COULD try the silica gel and/or the oven trick (what temp?) Worst case scenario is itll always be blotchy and streaky, GPS is a Nuvi 760 anyway so its not like its new or a huge loss if it doesnt correct itself
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    With all due respect, maybe you need to suggest (nicely of course) that Mom buy you an new GPS. :)
  • kenp 92 Points
    Just google silica gel to find where you can buy it and how to refresh it in an oven. You should be able to buy a pound of it for maybe $4-$5 at a craft store like Michaels. Keep the flower drying application in mind when you google for a place that has it in stock.

Oven drying is to refresh silica gel that's soaked up moisture. Sorry that the way I wrote it looked like I suggested drying the Nuvi in an oven. Although putting the Nuvi near a light bulb (the now illegal incandescent kind) could be worth a try, as long as you don't let the temperature exceed whatever Garmin specifies for storage.

Ken
  • kenp 92 Points
    With all due respect, maybe you need to suggest (nicely of course) that Mom buy you an new GPS. :)
    But then she might stop making his lunches. :)

Ken
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Ever hear that saying about the "free lunch"? :twisted:
  • ozarkie 89 Points
    The reason I mentioned the use of silica gel very early on in this thread was based on personal experience of it's effectiveness.

I have a Sony digital camera with a large LCD screen like the Nuvi's. I made the mistake of putting it in my swimming trunk pocket and walking off into a pool. After about 15-20 seconds I discovered my error and got it out of the water immediately. I immediately removed the SD card and battery and drained and shook out all the water I could. I then blotted all I could from the camera. I DID NOT attempt to turn the camera on. I happened to have a couple of fair-sized silica gel packages in my camera case, so I put the camera and silica gel in a zip-lock bag and sealed it. The screen had very large water splotches and bubbles before the silica gel treatment. After two days in the bag the camera was apparently water-free and the screen was completely normal. Only then did I attempt to power-up the camera. I reinstalled the battery and SD card, hit the power button and the camera came to life. Been working perfectly ever since the dunking three years ago.
  • ok sweet, if this doesnt work i will try the silica gel treatment....im hoping this rice treatment will work as its been in there since about 4 or 5pm fri until i leave for work tomorrow morning. which is nearly a solid 3 days.
  • Tim 1497 Points
    I'd have to say that the chances of anything working are diminished since it has been a week since it got wet.