This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

When are the 2013 Nuvi Garmin units going to be announced?

Hello,

In the fall of last year (2011) the 3490LMT was announced and sold soon shortly thereafter.

Has anyone heard anything when the next (2013) model Nuvi's will be released?

Justin.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    What makes you think there will be "2013" models? Last year was the first time Garmin introduced a whole new series of devices at the same time. In the past, new models just trickled in, one at a time. Considering how many models they already offer and how much smartphones have impacted the market, I'd be surprised to see a whole slew of new products this year.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2012
    You may be right Boyd, but if that is the case I think Garmin made a marketing mistake by calling it the "2012 nuvi series". It gives an impression that it is "last year's model". The nuvi has been around since 2005. I wonder if they are getting ready to retire the nuvi name and come out with a whole new series to replace it.
  • Trying to figure out whether its worth getting a 3490LMT for travel (currently use a Nuvi 550) which is fine, but I would hate to buy a 3490LMT now and then a week from now the 3690LMT (or next version/iteration) comes out.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, would you buy a 3940LMT now or wait for the next release/product cycle?
  • alanb 539 Points
    I have noticed that the 3490's have been dropping in price recently ... not so much for the 3590. A price drop on a current model can be an indication that something new is around the corner. But it is anyone's guess at this point.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    if that is the case I think Garmin made a marketing mistake by calling it the "2012 nuvi series". It gives an impression that it is "last year's model".
    In 2007 Garmin introduced their "Topo US 2008" map, which was an update to the older "Topo US" version. When 2009 rolled around they simply changed the product name to "Topo US 100k". AFAIK, it is the same map but that name was changed for the reason you suggested above.

Really, it's all just marketing. I'm not sure if the name "2012 series" exists anywhere other than Garmin's website and ads, does it?

But I have no real insights, just my hunch. What new features would they introduce to differentiate the new models? To compete with smartphones they would need connected devices, but those really haven't caught on here in the US, and people are reluctant to purchase a data plan with a PND.

I will be interested to see what comes next myself. I have really outgrown the Nuvi myself; I have three and haven't used any of them in months. I am happy with my Montana 600 in the car. If they came out with a model that ran similar software on a bigger screen, that would certainly interest me though.
  • What new insights?
    They could add compatability for smartlink with iPhone...

What Garmin GPS' are you all using?
    Thinking of upgrading to a 3490 or 3590 if not using one already?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I would not assume that any new models well be better than the older ones. Garmin has a history of lots of bugs in new models, and it typically takes a year or more to iron them out. Meanwhile, you will pay a premium for the new devices which are almost never discounted.

I have a 3790 which was introduced perhaps 18 months before the 2012 models. The 3490 is the same hardware with different software. I played around with one in the store, and frankly I like my 3790 more.

Is there a feature that you want that isn't available in the current lineup?
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    They need to make a 5" unit with screen resolution of their 4.3" units. I currently use 3490 and I'm not interested in "upgrading" to 3590 simply because the pixel count of 3590 is the same.

The current top-end models suffer considerably from lack of screen real estate. In landscape orientation the dashboard and the top bar eat away too much space, leaving too little for the actual map.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you did. I have a 1490 and my wife a 1310, but the 1490 has the 5" screen ... I certainly prefer it and it solves the problem of screen 'real estate' as you put it :wink:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The current top-end models suffer considerably from lack of screen real estate.
    That has nothing to do with the resolution of the LCD panel, it's a design/ user interface decision on Garmin's part. I have a Nuvi 5000 with a 5" screen at 800x480. It shows the same amount of the map as Nuvi 1695 with a 5" screen at 272x480. The extra pixels are not used to show more of the map, they are used to create smoother text and roads with less "jaggies"

Garmin follows this same philosophy with their smartphone apps also. If you use StreetPilot on the iPhone, it doesn't show any more of the map on the "retina" display. Garmin seems to have decided on fixed proportions between the map and user interface elements (data fields, buttons, etc). You will even see the same thing on MobilePC which basically puts the Nuvi interface on a windows laptop or touchscreen computer. Here it is on a 1024x600 screen.

So I don't think you are even likely to notice the difference if they introduced a 5" device with (for example) a 1024x600 screen. With the user interface elements keeping the same relative percentage of the screen and the map scaled to show the same field of view, your eye probably couldn't see any difference unless the Nuvi is mounted right in your face.
  • Thanks for all of the input, yes, I also know someone who bought the 3490LMT and where that person lived it could not calculate the route to work for example. It was fixed later, but it basically did not work right for 3-6+ months (until the new F/W was released), will go with the 3490LMT, thanks again!
  • alanb 539 Points
    It was reported in another forum that TigerGPS has the 3490LMT refurb on sale today for $219. That is the best price I have seen for that unit.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you need something now, that makes sense. Typically, when Garmin announces a new device there is a wait of a few months before it actually starts shipping. And as an early adopter, you are in reality a beta tester. :wink:

I don't know what features you need, but you might also consider the 3790 which is the same hardware with a different user interface. I guess the biggest differences would be the HD traffic receiver and smartphone link on the 3490 (requires a compatible android phone). Amazon currently has the 3790LMT for $235 and the 3490LMT for $315.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    That has nothing to do with the resolution of the LCD panel, it's a design/ user interface decision on Garmin's part.
    Well, I'd say that that actually was a marketing-driven non-decision on Garmin's part.

The screen real estate issue is driven by two fundamental factors:

1) the size of interface elements, i.e. they should be large enough to be easily readable,
    2) the legibility of interface elements, i.e. they should be drawn with sufficient resolution the be easily distinguishable and recognizable.

Which one of these factors will acts as a "bottleneck" depends on the physical characteristics of the display. On the older models screens had lower resolution, which more often than not made the factor #2 more critical than the factor #1. With new hi-res displays factor #2 is no longer a bottleneck. It is the factor #1 that defines the size of interface elements in new models.

Now I'd say that 3490 has its peripheral interface elements sized pretty nicely. I mean, I would personally prefer them smaller (with more room left for the map), but people with worse eyesight might prefer the current sizing.

Enter the 3590. It has the same pixel count as 3490, yet physically bigger screen. This means that the GUI of 3490 can simply be transferred to 3590 without any changes. However, such a straight transfer would simply enlarge all interface elements. And that is exactly what Garmin did with 3590. In other words, 3590 is no different from a 3490 with a magnifying glass mounted in front of it.

One would immediately ask: why did Garmin allow the interface elements to enlarge? They were sized perfectly in 3490, so it would make sense to keep them the same physical size on 3590 (the screen has enough "spare" resolution to make sure factor #2 does not interfere), thus allocation more physical space for the map. Well, the answer is that it would require more development and support effort from Garmin. They didn't want to make that effort. They simply "decided" to release 3590 as a 3490 with bigger screen and no other differences.
  • rjrsw 0 Points
    I have a 3790 which was introduced perhaps 18 months before the 2012 models. The 3490 is the same hardware with different software. I played around with one in the store, and frankly I like my 3790 more.
    I found the same thing when I compared the two in the store. The map detail seems much better on the 3790LMT. Ended up buying the 3790LMT on the Walmart site for $150 and cannot see any reason to upgrade. The bluetooth works very well and with the larger speaker built into the cradle mount everything is very clear even at freeway speeds. Without a doubt the 3790 is the best Garmin I have owned.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Who knows why Garmin does what it does, you may be right. But again, MobilePC has given me a few insights into how their software is written. The software actually draws the map to fill the entire screen. Then the interface elements are simply overlaid on it with either transparent or opaque backgrounds. These are stored in GIR archives of BMP (or maybe PNG, don't recall) images that can easily be edited. Data, like your speed or the guidance text is overlaid on these interface elements. So it's like 3 Photoshop layers:

Data field
    Interface element
    Map

Surely it wouldn't be hard to scale this to fit the screen anyway they like. My guess is that it's intentional, unless they are really lazy (which is certainly a possibility) :wink:
  • gpz1100 83 Points
    Lets hope whatever they release in the future will bring back the routes function in addition to or in place of the trip planner.

I recently upgraded from a 765t to a 3590, then downgraded to a 1450 ($50 on ebay) because I needed proper gpx/custom routes functionality.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Lets hope whatever they release in the future will bring back the routes function in addition to or in place of the trip planner.
    I will add my "+1" to that hope. Trip Planner is the main reason I have not purchased a new nuvi. I would like to have the other features on the new nuvi's, but I am not willing to give up the reliable "Custom Routes" system on my old devices.
  • class3 52 Points
    edited October 2012
    My list of improvements Garmin should make:

• Faster processors or better programming of maps graphics. Even the high-end 2012 models do not have the map redraw responsiveness of an iPod touch.

• Add a true route planning app. Allow ability to rubber-band routes like in Google. Add ability to have shaping points. Show the whole route!

• Add button on map that can switch from 2D to 3D

• Add road type preference option to route calculations. This will fix the common "taking back roads complaint."

• Add option to have a "turn at next road" chime. This should come on after the last cross street before your turn. It would alert you to turn at the next possible road. This much easier to understand than trying to look for the name of the street.

• Add option to show what road you're currently on

• Add front camera for car DVR purposes

• Increase resolution on larger screen models and adjust interface to show more map

• Allow option show show more street labels/map detail

• Add ability to "Pause" navigation not just "Stop" it, so you can take quick side trips and then resume navigation when you're done.

• Show POI search results on a map, not just a list

• Integrate traffic receiver into unit (Garmin may already have started this)

• Switch to better traffic data. Maybe the switch to Inrix will help.

• Fix problem with voice prompts after recalculation in certain situations

• Add option to select frequency of voice prompts

• Add speed limit corrections to all units

• Add comment field to Saved Favorites and custom POI

• The thinness of the 37xx/34xx is nice, but I'd trade thinness and weight for more processing speed

• Roads in mountainous areas need to be more visible when using 3D terrain shading

Things I already like with Garmin:

• The screen on the 37xx/34xx is the best I've seen. Keep using screens like this, but the screen on the 35xx was a step down in the wrong direction.

• The map graphics on the 34xx/35xx is more map-like and less cartoony. Keep this up. Just add option to show more map detail.

• Menu structure on the 2012 prestige line requires less menus to change settings. This is a step in the right direction. There are ways to streamline this interface even further.

• Split screen junction view is good. I like it.

• popej 57 Points
    I'm not going to buy a new nuvi, since each new generaion destroys some valuable features. But I would consider buying software version for android.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Excellent list class3 ... I like.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I'm pretty much with Popej. If Garmin came out with software for iOS or Android that provided advanced functions (more similar to the Montana, which already checks a number of boxes on class3's list), I would actually consider buying whatever hardware was needed to run it. The 7" iPad might be a good platform, or any of several android devices in that size range.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has an internal GPS, 8GB memory, a card slot and a 1024x600 7 inch screen for $200. Garmin could charge $100 for an app and it would be about the same price point as a Nuvi 3590 once you add a car kit.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    My list of improvements Garmin should make:

• Add ability to "Pause" navigation not just "Stop" it, so you can take quick side trips and then resume navigation when you're done.

What do you see as the main value of this feature? You can already take "quick side trips" without stopping navigation. The only potential problem in this case is the nagging voice from the unit, which can be silenced by hitting "mute". So, what would be the value of pausing navigation over the ordinary "mute" command?

What I would add to the list a rather minor, yet cool feature: the ability for high-end units to use the built-in compass for car navigation.

Since most people usually install their GPS units in their cars in the same orientation with relation to the car, the GPS unit should be able successfully derive the N-S-E-W orientation of the car by using the internal tri-axis compass. To calibrate the system the user would install the GPS in their car, start driving on some straight stretch of road and then hit "calibrate compass" button on the GPS screen, thus making the GPS unit to memorize the relationship between the internal compass data and the GPS-derived direction of travel.

With this feature GPS would always know which way the car is pointing even when it is stationary. I.e. one woudn't have to start moving in order for the GPS to figure out how to draw the map on the screen.
  • class3 52 Points
    What do you see as the main value of this feature? You can already take "quick side trips" without stopping navigation. The only potential problem in this case is the nagging voice from the unit, which can be silenced by hitting "mute". So, what would be the value of pausing navigation over the ordinary "mute" command?
    They main thing for me is pausing would turn off the voice prompts, but it would also take the unit out of navigation mode. When it's out of this mode, the magenta course line goes away, the autozoom is less aggressive (it normally zooms in tight on a turn) and the info bar at the top goes back to displaying either the road you're on or the next cross street. All of this is handy for me if I'm just driving around an area (not navigating to any place) by using the moving map. I might do this on a trip where I go through a small town and want to drive around to explore.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    This is already available on the Montana. From the map, tap the "3-bar" icon > Stop Navigation. When you're ready to continue, 3-bar > Resume Navigation.

My StreetPilot 2620 also could do this in 2003. Those old StreetPilots had software with lots of menus like Garmin's handhelds. At least some of the older Nuvi's also had a "resume" button on the main screen IIRC.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just saw that Rich Owings has a report at gpstracklog.com on the rumored Nuvi 42 and 52 series which may be replacing the Nuvi 40 and 50. He is also predicting that Garmin will introduce 2013 models in January. It would not be unusual for them to introduce new products at CES - the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, starting January 8.
  • [*]Add option to have a "turn at next road" chime. This should come on after the last cross street before your turn. It would alert you to turn at the next possible road. This much easier to understand than trying to look for the name of the street.

Doesn't the Nuvi already tell you when a turn is upcoming?You know its the next turn even if you can't look for a street name/just like a chime would do.There are also non-TTS voices that just say turn at next left/right without saying street name that would be hard to look for.Just curious as to what this would change/help.
  • popej 57 Points
    Currently Garmin is showing firmwares for 4 units at test. See links at my site:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/uat

UAT 002 could be nuvi 42/52. Probably only new look for 40/50.
    UAT 004 is probably called nuvi 27x7, maybe 7"?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The 7" Nuvi 2790 was introduced in Asia a few months ago. Maybe they will bring it to the US? http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/26306/x/p1/
  • class3 52 Points
    [*]Add option to have a "turn at next road" chime. This should come on after the last cross street before your turn. It would alert you to turn at the next possible road. This much easier to understand than trying to look for the name of the street.

Doesn't the Nuvi already tell you when a turn is upcoming?You know its the next turn even if you can't look for a street name/just like a chime would do.There are also non-TTS voices that just say turn at next left/right without saying street name that would be hard to look for.Just curious as to what this would change/help.
    The Nuvi does tell you when a turn is upcoming, but for me, this can still lead to some indecision when there are a lot of cross streets close together and not good signage. Another factor is Garmin measures the turn relative to the center of the street and not the corner where you turn. So you could be at the corner and it says you still have 50 ft to go before you're suppose to turn. This can lead to indecision on whether to turn.

For me, as a driver, I just want to know that I should turn at the next possible street. So I propose a chime or bong that comes on after you've passed the last cross street and before the next possible street that you should turn on. This should be easy to program because the Nuvi already knows all the cross streets (it even displays them when not navigating).

The reason for the bong is it's fast. A voice prompt takes a few seconds to physically say out loud and then for you to interpret. These few seconds of indecision could mean missing a turn in a downtown area. A bong is almost instant. The tone of the bong could also be made distinctive so you only associate that sound with turning at the next possible street.

If they combine the bong with a voice prompt then you would get both pieces of critical information: Turn at next possible street and turn in indicated direction. For example: *BONG*...Turn right on Main St." But usually you already know from Lane Assist what direction you should turn.

The only problem with my suggestion is that if the map data is not accurate, you might turn on a newer street or alley that was added before your intended street. Still, a simple bong that comes on only at the final voice prompt would be nice to remind you that you should turn right about now. Also, they could make this an option so you can turn it on or off.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I can't decide whether this is a serious suggestion or not :?

Do we really need to be told by a 'bong' to turn at the next possible street? We already hear reports of drivers turning onto railway lines etc, I can just see that getting worse as motorists hear a bong and make a turn regardless of what that might mean :roll:

I'm quite happy that at the moment I get a warning of a turn and then use my eyes to look at my GPS, match that to what I can see in front of me and make an appropriate decision :)
  • class3 52 Points
    sussamb,

I was being serious, but I realize this feature isn't for everyone and may not be useful to everyone. My suggestion comes from my experience having to drive in many large US metro areas and navigating on my own. Driving and navigating alone in complicated areas can be stressful. I look at the map too, but I try to keep it to a minimum because I want to look outside while driving. If there was a chime that came on to indicate either this is the final voice prompt or turn at the next possible street, I think this would helpful. The chime would not come on at any other time.

I have nothing against the voice prompts but they do have some downsides:

- If TTS, they depend on you identifying the name of the street. This is often hard to do. In many US cities, the signage is atrocious. Some streets aren't marked at all or marked with very small signs just 4-6" high. At 25-35mph, you can't ID that street until almost the last moment.
    - The voice prompts give distance countdowns, but this is to the center of the street. This can lead to indecision on whether to turn due to turning at the corner of the street.
    - If non TTS, they depend on you to judge distances. In a dense downtown area and in the heat of driving and navigating, "Turn right in 100 ft" can lead to indecision...does it mean this street or the next one since they're so close together?
    - Sometimes there are so many voice prompts or sometimes they duplicate, it's hard to tell which one is the final one (when in a dense, complicated area).

Since the GPS knows your position and knows the cross streets, a smart chime that only comes on when it knows the turn occurs at the next possible street would be great. Garmin wouldn't even have to explain the specifics of this chime. Just have it come on along with the final voice prompt.

To me, the idea is to replicate how a passenger helps you navigate. Usually the passenger first tells the driver, turn right at Main St...so they know the name of the street and then when the street comes up, they say turn at the next street or turn at the next light. This is easy for the driver to understand. But I understand what you mean by some drivers taking the bong literally. That would be bad...right turn right into a shop.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Do we really need to be told by a 'bong' to turn at the next possible street?
    Some people like a bong, others do not. :twisted:

Seriously, the chime sound is very retro. I remember using the original Magellan Roadmate in a rental car many years ago and it had a chime (or gong or bong or whatever) alert before every turn. Not certain, but I think my old StreetPilot 2620 also had it as an option.

So I believe some people are unhappy that Garmin "took away" this feature. For me, I don't care. My GPS is permanently on mute. :wink:
  • Garmin has a history of lots of bugs in new models, and it typically takes a year or more to iron them out.
    HA. Isn't that the truth! As I recall it took Garmin a year to get the routing on the 3790 to follow a multi-via saved route from beginning to end!

(I still prefer the routing on the old Nuvi 7XX units better)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Rich is out with his 2013 predictions at gpstracklog.com. For the Nuvi he predicts the 2013 line to be announced early January and ship almost immediately. He also expects more models with internal traffic receivers, HD traffic on more devices, the discontinuation of the 1xx0 line and a new unit targeted at RV's.
  • I guess we won't see this new 2013 line since the world ends in a few days. :(
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I wonder if the new models are about to be announced? When I go click on the automotive link at garmin.com, this is what I get...

• sussamb 813 Points
    Other parts of the site and the forums appear to be down :cry:
  • Maybe they are gonna fix that Garmin Express thing.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hmm, it all seems to work for me, until I click on the Explore link and then choose a specific category. The link for support works. But you're right about the forums, when I go there I get

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Seems a weird time if this is scheduled maintenance, not good for those who have just bought or been given Garmins for Christmas :evil:
  • Wonder if the website issue is affecting the streetpilot on demand iPhone app? I was just trying a few times to use the app but keep getting a message "We are unable to determine your subscription type at this time. Restarting the app may correct the problem", which restarting or deleting then re-downloading the app hasn't helped.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Apparently Garmin posted this on Facebook at about 10:30am Pacific time:

"We're currently experiencing server issues across Garmin's various online services. We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing, and we're working diligently to resolve the problems."
  • BrianL 0 Points
    My list of improvements Garmin should make
    Great list!

I also think that if it were accurate enough, a bong would be really helpful to some. I've learned that if there for example two lane splits near either other, I can't just go by the voice since it's too early or too late, nor what road the voice says, often not having time to figure out which road is which by name, but often have to watch the purple line. My girlfriend can't ever seem to do this though (also if there are several crossroads together), so it seems a bong just before the moment you're supposed to split or turn would really help. A bong is so small it can be stored on a tiny chip and delivered instantly without much CPU load. And it could be toggled on/off. So what's the harm?
  • class3 52 Points
    Looks like Garmin will be announcing their 2013 lineup shortly for CES. In the meantime, they've uploaded the 2013 line to their website:

http://sites.garmin.com/nuvi/

Notable changes:

- Finally the street you're driving on is displayed at the bottom of the screen! Yes! (except the Essential line).
    - The Prestige mount is magnetic and powered.
    - The Prestige line only has a 5" display. But the Advance line has a 7" model.
    - They're doing a version of my "bong" suggestion with a voice prompt using landmarks, e.g. "Turn left after the clock tower." Or "Turn left at the next traffic light." It's suppose to be more intuitive--like a friend giving you directions (similar to what I mentioned before).
    - Active lane guidance animation (now with dynamic magenta course indicator)
    - Up ahead showing nearby services
    - Info bar at the top is now white. Looks like it only turns green (for the US) when you reach an exit.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Cool - thanks for posting. They certainly have given everything a different look for the new year. Looks like the actual product pages aren't online yet, but there are lots of pictures.

While they look nice, personally I don't see anything here that would make me want to upgrade.

Prestige Series (Nuvi 3597)

Advanced Series

Essential Series

• popej 57 Points
    edited January 2013
    IMO notable changes would be better routing algorithms, support for multiple points routes, true display of map features like POI or topo details, wider support for foreign languages, fast correction of map errors. I hope that Garmin can include some of real improvements.

I appreciate more info like current street, but using nuvi I can drive across whole country without being able to tell what cities I go by ;)

I got some product pages, but maybe Garmin removed links. From my browser history:
    nuvi 42: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=120957
    nuvi 2457: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=122546
    nuvi 3597: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=121762

Edit: pages with new nuvis include links to Garmin Express, which was removed before official release ;)
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Cool - thanks for posting. They certainly have given everything a different look for the new year. Looks like the actual product pages aren't online yet, but there are lots of pictures.
    They list the Nuvi's with price here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449

For some reason if you click "previous Models on the link in class3 post it shows the new line with the price. Top model shows $380.
  • BrianL 0 Points
    They'll have to make a new style Garmin Friction Mount, without the ball.

It seems it would be better (for me) to have it tell you to turn on to a street name, rather than a landmark.

Active Lane Guidance, photoReal, and Bird's Eye Junction View seem like three different styles of the same thing.? How do you have all these at once?

The magnetic mount of the Prestige is very nice (if it doesn't have problems), but they've changed the mount on the Advanced series too. Looks like it would be more trouble than the previous style.

Wonder how the up ahead feature works. Are things flying on and off the screen as you go by them. It would be nice to have something like this but where you could also see way up ahead, without having to go through the steps to the search/on route.

Hope they added the old style routes back.

FYI, sorry about my typos in my previous post, but it won't let me edit them.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    They'll have to make a new style Garmin Friction Mount, without the ball.
    Not really.