This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Lifetime Maps versus device's "lifespan"?

jay_moussy 81 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Now that most devices sport lifetime maps, does the device "lifespan", as defined by manufacturer still apply?

(putting physical limitations aside like on-board memory maxing out)

Comments

• sussamb 764 Points
    Any reason why you think it would not? The manufacturer is supplying them, so their definition of 'lifetime' will apply.
  • alanb 419 Points
    Do we know what the manufacturer's official definition of "lifespan" or "useful life" is?
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Well Garmin's UK website says:

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime™ subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin's website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until the product's useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. The updates received under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with the Garmin product when originally purchased). In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining to load an update to the same map data originally included with the Garmin product, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD card or a SD card (as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD card or SD card slot contained in the Garmin product. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this Agreement. The nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.

but the US one:

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more.

Note the last sentence :wink:
  • alanb 419 Points
    A pretty loose definition at best. Has Garmin ever formally announced "end of life" status on a product like Microsoft and other technology companies do, indicating that there is no longer support for the product.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    The only example I can think of is when Garmin introduced the NT format for City Navigator. They continued to make the old format City Navigator maps along with NT maps for a number of years, but in 2010 they discontinued the old format. In that case, you might have bought a StreetPilot 2620 in 2005 and 5 years later you would not be able to update the maps. Of course, this was long before Garmin introduced lifetime maps anyway.

I don't think they have excluded anyone from the lifetime updates yet. There's member here who has frequently posted about his lifetime subscription for a StreetPilot 2700 series. This model came along in 2005 and was the first automotive unit to accept the NT format maps.

Now this is just Garmin however and the question was posted to the general discussion forum. I have no idea what Magellan or TomTom's policies are. In the case of Magellan, they actually switched map providers a couple years ago, and at least for some period of time marketed different models with maps from different sources. I don't think they offered lifetime maps at that point.
  • dhn 328 Points
    I believe I saw a post in another TomTom forum where a poster showed his 'lifetime' map update service had an expiry of five years.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Well Garmin's UK website says:

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter.
    TomTom's lawyers have pretty much the same idea. :) http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/maps/lifetime-map-updates/
    You receive up to four non-transferable map data updates per year until the product's useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives map updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter. Details and terms at www.tomtom.com/legal
  • Sounds like "lifetime" in GPS devices equates to "unlimited data" in cell phone carrier contracts. Caveat emptor! :)
  • sviking 141 Points
    There's member here who has frequently posted about his lifetime subscription for a StreetPilot 2700 series.
    That might have been me. I bought a SP 2720 in the beginning of 2006. Garmin still supports the lifetime subscription I purchased for it. A few times, I thought they'd stopped supporting it because I wasn't offered an update when my newer units were when a new map was released. Now, I just know to wait a few days or a week and the "update" selection will finally pop up. Who knows...maybe they just give lower priority to the older units so the people with new, flashy units get their updates first. We all know they have server congestion issues as soon as an update is released.
  • I don't mind the policy but cringe a little when they use the word "Lifetime". Why not just say "three years of map updates"?

But I guess they have to make it while they can. The open map projects are coming along pretty well. I just went to Thailand for work and took my Edge 705 just to have something in my pocket so I would always be able to steer back to the hotel. I downloaded the Open Street Project map before I went.

To my surprise it had a ton of POI's including the base where I worked, all the hotels, restaurants, etc.

My needs aren't that great. The Open Map was way more than good enough. There will come a day when all these Open Maps will be good enough I hope.

To be fair I went to Micronesia for work not long ago, Saipan, Tinian, and the Open Maps were not good. Not good at all.

John