This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

What's the deal with Garmin's map naming protocol?

I'm just curious. I see that map "2013.40" should be coming out any day now. The common sense part of me doesn't understand why the first release of this year wouldn't be "2013.10", since Garmin's traditionally been releasing 4 maps per year for awhile now.

In other words, anyone know what the .10-40 suffix on the map filename means? Seems off.

Comments

• sussamb 814 Points
    Possibly, first, second, third, fourth quarter of the financial year :?:
  • alanb 549 Points
    When 2014 maps are released in April or May, it makes it sound like you are getting next year's maps early. It is the same stragegy used by many car manufacturers when they release the new year's model in the previous summer.
  • kenp 92 Points
    I suspect the algorithm for this was written by the same person who wrote the one for calculating addresses within a block. :)

Ken
  • "... doesn't understand why the first release of this year wouldn't be "2013.10", ...
    This is how the maps for the Asian markets are numbered. I guess Garmin has two departments (at least) that do the seemingly inconsistent numbering assignments. :roll: