This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Shouldnt we heard about new maps just about now?

Has anyone heard about new CN maps?
We should be hearing about it just about now.

Comments

• The bottom sticky thread in the Garmin Nuvi Forum one level up from this one that has this info. Bookmark/check that one and you're good to go.
  • I know about that sticky and it doesnt answer my post.
    I have not heard anything about new maps from Garmin.
    Have you?
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    I think scpeters point is.... if anyone had heard about the update they would have posted in that thread. :D
  • popej 57 Points
    Just looking at OP location I can guess, that question is about City Navigator Australia & New Zealand, City Navigator North America, City Navigator South America or City Navigator Europe :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick
  • t923347 532 Points
    The province of New Brunswick in Canada.
  • popej 57 Points
    Yes, I haven't noticed "New", then all is about CNNA ;)
  • LMAO... Good detective work.

Im wondering if Garmin is holding off until the new models are available...
  • sussamb 829 Points
    I doubt it ... suspect they'll be out shortly :wink:
  • alanb 556 Points
    Since Garmin seems to prefer Wednesday or Thursday for map release, check this forum mid next week and you MAY see an announcement.
  • Still no rumours of new maps...
    This is weird. We should've heard about something by now.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    What's the rush :)

Given the problems folks appear to have updating maps it might be better if Garmin released fewer updates :wink:
  • george2015 81 Points
    edited February 2013
    Never mind...false alarm. Looks like Garmin Express is now actually installed on your PC, and it want's to re-install 2013.30. I was faked out,
  • hip hip hooray

Weird that we didnt hear about it.
    Time to go check whats new... LOL
  • t923347 532 Points
    hip hip hooray

Weird that we didnt hear about it.
    Time to go check whats new... LOL
    :?:

2013.30 is the current release, not the new one.
  • oh not nice getting us all excited... LMAO
    Back to my original post... weird that we have not heard anything about new maps.

Sussamb I wish to have more maps releases not less. They have a hard time keeping up as it is.
    If only Garmin focused more on having acurate roads instead of more Pois and junction views and so on maybe they could have new maps more often and with less issues.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Wouldn't you rather have fewer more accurate map updates than have Garmin just rush out inaccurate ones?
  • ech 0 Points
    problem is - if the updates aren't frequent, then they can't be accurate, as streets are constantly being added, changed, etc...
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Well it would be great if a new map could be released everytime something changed but I suspect Garmin simply don't have the amount of resources to enable that to happen :wink:

So a balance has to be struck. Clearly Garmin believe 4 times a year is the right balance, even so teams that are devoting time to compiling, checking, issuing maps can't be updating them. Time spent getting a new map ready for issue means less time for updating.

Given that we used to manage with paper maps reissued at best every year (and even then with mistakes the minute they were issued) maybe a slower issue rate would enable Garmin to devote more resources to ensuring they were up to date. Just a thought :)
  • This is going offtopic but here it goes...
    To Garmin credit I dont think the map updates and frequency are so much a Garmin issue but rather a Navteq one.

Navteq simply put are slow updating maps and I have seen that Garmin Maps have roads that were not showing on Navteq maps so Garmin is also compiling maps from elsewhere.
    I wouldnt be surprised that 4 updates a year were not what Garmin would like but Navteq made that restriction.

Garmin GPS needs accurate and up to date maps. Poi's, junction views, lane assists, 3d buildings, landmarks are all secondary and become useless without accurate maps.

People say that we shouldnt rely on a GPS unit to move around and I agree with that to an extent.
    90% I drive in familiar surroundings, its the other 10% of the time that I rely on my GPS to drive me to my destination safely and quickly.
    True that the current map will get me there, but is it the fastest and better way to get there?
    If I can see just how much information is wrong around where I usually drive then I can only imagine how much information is missing elsewhere.

So yeah, I want frequent map updates. I dont need gazillion of POI's, Garmin/Navteq should focus less on that, heck partner with the website that has a gazillion of POi's available for download, I dont need 3d buildings, this new voice guidance thing telling me to turn on the next light.

Garmin will use a huge amount of resources for that new feature and I am pretty sure it will be only available in a few major cities.
    Im my corner of the world it will be useless. It will be interested to see how it works in areas where theres no information.
    What is it going to say "Turn at the next hay field?" LOL
  • Tim 1482 Points
    This is weird. We should've heard about something by now.
    Why? We just make guesses on when they will release maps. It isn't out of the ordinary for our guesses to be off by a few weeks.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    I wouldnt be surprised that 4 updates a year were not what Garmin would like but Navteq made that restriction.
    I would say the opposite is true... Navteq would love for Garmin to purchase map updates from them more often but that places more work on Garmin's end to repackage and distribute them which Garmin doesn't want to do more than four times per year.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    that places more work on Garmin's end to repackage and distribute them which Garmin doesn't want to do more than four times per year.
    I don't think I'd even WANT to update maps more than four times a year either. I have multiple units that have (in the recent past) all required a totally different download package. Previously, you used to be able to use the same map update package download for pretty much all the different units. Updating maps is not something I really enjoy, nor look forward to doing. One unit is OK but multiple units gets to be pretty bothersome. I do like the end result though but getting to that point... :roll:
  • t923347 532 Points
    So True!
  • that places more work on Garmin's end to repackage and distribute them which Garmin doesn't want to do more than four times per year.
    I don't think I'd even WANT to update maps more than four times a year either. I have multiple units that have (in the recent past) all required a totally different download package. Previously, you used to be able to use the same map update package download for pretty much all the different units. Updating maps is not something I really enjoy, nor look forward to doing. One unit is OK but multiple units gets to be pretty bothersome. I do like the end result though but getting to that point... :roll:
    But that is because of sloppy job by Garmin.
    You are correct, there should be no need to have to download the map more than once.
    To get the maps you need to register the devices anyway, so why doesnt the app know what files it needs to cover all of them so one download is enough?
    this would save money for Garmin in server costs imo.
  • popej 57 Points
    Given that we used to manage with paper maps reissued at best every year (and even then with mistakes the minute they were issued) maybe a slower issue rate would enable Garmin to devote more resources to ensuring they were up to date. Just a thought :)
    Did you really use map for navigation in a car? I think you used map for planning but you actually navigated according to road signs. So missing or wrong road sign is a better equivalent of wrong gps map.

As for updates I think that problem is with navteq. They are too slow. Probably they check personally all reported problems and have too little resources to do it on time.

If I report a problem to a community supported project, I can have corrected map next day. For navteq it could be next year, maybe. If navetq won't work out procedures for using users input, they will never have up-to-date maps. And Garmin is not interested in users help either.

Actually Garmin part of the work isn't big, they buy data and convert it to proprietary format. I doubt it takes more than a week. Big task for Garmin are sales and distribution.
  • sussamb 829 Points

Did you really use map for navigation in a car? I think you used map for planning but you actually navigated according to road signs. So missing or wrong road sign is a better equivalent of wrong gps map.

Probably a bit of both but I take your point :wink:

If on my own I'd be relying on road signs more than the map, with someone sitting in the other seat they'd be using the map :)
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    Geez, you mean you never drove around by yourself with a map on the seat folded to show your area? I did that all the time myself, and most of the time I just use the GPS as the electronic equivalent (moving map). :)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I actually prefer to have the map draped across the front of the steering wheel while I'm driving....having it way down there on the seat is too dangerous. :wink:
  • sussamb 829 Points
    :lol:

I did say I'd be relying on road signs more then the map, it was certainly on display on the front seat ... never thought about draping it over the steering wheel :D

Course for complicated routes I wrote out 'route cards' which sat on the dash :)
  • kenp 92 Points
    ...Did you really use map for navigation in a car? I think you used map for planning but you actually navigated according to road signs...
    That's one of the problems with GPS instead of maps. It gets used for navigation, and there may be no planning.

And I suspect that's why the current map update is late. The Navteq guy delivering the new maps to Garmin is navigating via GPS, and he's run into one of those places where the Navteq map file hasn't been updated... :)

Ken

• And I suspect that's why the current map update is late. The Navteq guy delivering the new maps to Garmin is navigating via GPS, and he's run into one of those places where the Navteq map file hasn't been updated... :)
    Ken
    Thanks very much, now I have a keyboard full of coffee to clean... LMAO
  • At least back in the paper map days, my right-seat navigator didn't keep saying "recalculating" if I got off course. She'd say something far more colorful. :shock:
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Couldn't program them though :lol:
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Quite possible that the problems many are experiencing with Garmin Express is delaying map update being published :?