This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin disappoints the Street

Boyd 1955 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Stock is down about 4% today on the release of 4th quarter earnings. Automotive sales dropped 6% and mobile dropped 25% (is this is due to discontinuing the Garminfone and Nuvifone?).

But sports/outdoor/aviation/marine sales are all still doing well. At least Garmin has these to fall back on, unlike TomTom. :)

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2013/02/20/garmin-takes-hit-in-fourth-quarter.html

Comments

• I would guess the smartphone is cutting into the market for most people. I personally haven't had my joy using an iPhone as a GPS so I'll always stick with a dedicated device. Same as with cameras. But I think it is a sure bet that CPS will decline somewhat with more smartphone capability.

John
  • It comes down to price and no doubt that smartphones are eating into the marketshare.

Dedicated GPS units need to come down in price for people to buy them.
    Theres less and less incentive on buying a car GPS for $300, when with nowadays phones as powerfull as they are its possible to install offline maps and buy decent navigation application for much less and have same if not better experience.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Well I think this has already happened, you can get a Nuvi 40LM with 4" screen and lifetime maps for a little over $100, even less if you catch a sale. The $300 models are more specialized, like the Nuvi 3590 LMT and have a 5" screen which most smartphones don't. Or there are expensive handheld devices like the Montana. A phone is never likely to replace these since they're designed to be rugged. And Garmin is still doing very well with them.

I have an iPhone and don't care for it as a GPS, screen is too small. Maybe I would be happier with a larger phone though?

Funny however, my phone really has replaced my camera's for snapshot use. I bought a little Canon Digital Elph for that a number of years ago and have not used it since I got an iPhone 4 two years ago. The phone isn't quite as good, but it's always there when I need it and so easy to use. Even worse, I have a closet full of very expensive professional still and HD video gear that I almost never use also.
  • Exactly Boyd.
    Sure the 40Lm is at a decent price but look what you are getting... not a whole lot of GPS I'd say.

You are right screen size matters and phones are getting bigger and bigger, 4' now 5 and even 7 inches with amazing screens.
    Garmin needs to drop those prices if they want to continue to seel GPS.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    A phone with a 7 inch screen? Have never seen anything like that myself! The Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" screen and the reviews I've seen said it was awkward to use as a phone.
  • But sports/outdoor/aviation/marine sales are all still doing well. At least Garmin has these to fall back on, unlike TomTom.
    I think you hit it on the head Boyd. Smartphones are killing off the PND, but they still lack in these areas. I have a Samsung/Google Galaxy with a large screen and I have to say there is little I cannot do with it that I did before with my HP, add to the fact that the maps are current all the time.
  • An iPad mini with 3G would make for a heck of a mounted GPS in a car, however it would also make for a heck of a theft target.

I guess it depends on a person's usage. I track my exercise so a GPS is always in my pocket when I run or hike or on the handlebars when I bike. I'm not scared to run with an eTrex 30 in my pocket when it is raining but I am scared to run with an iPhone in my pocket when its raining.

John
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    The iPad Mini is still rather large for a GPS - 7.8", which is almost an inch larger than the 7" automotive units. Still, I like large screens myself and have considered this.

But the economics aren't so good unless you already need the iPad for something else. The bottom of the line model (16gb cellular) is $460 plus maybe $50 for a navigation app = $510. That's an expensive gps. :) (you need to get the cellular model since the wifi model doesn't have a gps chip).

I think some of the Android tablets are more competitive, like the Galaxy Tab 2 7" which goes for about $200 and has a gps chip. Have been tempted to get one but not sure if there's any software I would like.
  • alanb 427 Points
    I am kind of in the same boat Boyd. The Ipad mini is just too pricey for me. I have been looking at the Nexus 7 and the Acer Iconia Tab A110. Each are available for about $200 and have strengths and shortcomings hardware wise. The Acer actually has a Glonass receiver which was kind of a surprise to me. But I am not sure if there are any Android navigation apps that appeal to me.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    On the iPad, Navigon might be the way to go. Garmin recently was plugging this in connection with buying their GLO receiver for use with iPads that don't have the GPS chip.
    The great thing about the Garmin NAVIGON app is that it is optimized to run natively on the iPad, making use of the larger display and the user interface of the device.
    http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2013/02/macworldiworld-2013-garmin-glo-lets-you-navigate-with-your-ipad-mini-wifi.html

Some people think Garmin will release a version of StreetPilot for Android, as I believe their agreement with Asus not to sell an Android app has now expired. That would definitely be interesting. :)
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    The Acer actually has a Glonass receiver which was kind of a surprise to me. But I am not sure if there are any Android navigation apps that appeal to me.
    "Word on the street" is that Garmin will introduce an Android StreetPilot app next week at Mobile World Congress in Bacelona, there are even screenshots and videos that claim to be from the app.

Take a look at Rich's "This Week in GPS" over at gpstracklog for links.